IGNORED

Fammy

alexukhc

He is appreciated as he appears to be a fan of the club, as much as any professional footballer can be. He's attended games since leaving, wears our shirt, lives in the area, etc. I think that's quite nice, aside from anyone's opinion of him as an employee.

Edited by cidercity1987
  • Like 10
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I have said it before but I really do not understand the love for this guy.

He can wear a city shirt all he wants but the simple fact is he completely downed tools more than I have seen from a player before. 

I don't care what was said by Ashton etc or promises he had a contract and he let the fans down

Almost on a par with us out of nowhere deciding to plaster ‘Always Believe’ as a club mantra, originated from a player who refused to sign a new contract and forced a move away from the club because he was ‘told to by God’

• Like 8
  • Haha 8
  • Flames 2

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Almost on a par with us out of nowhere deciding to plaster ‘Always Believe’ as a club mantra, originated from a player who refused to sign a new contract and forced a move away from the club because he was ‘told to by God’

I can't say I ever bought into the Basso love either and that song made me cringe 

19 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He is appreciated as he appears to be a fan of the club, as much as any professional footballer can be. He's attended games since leaving, wears our shirt, lives in the area, etc. I think that's quite nice, aside from anyone's opinion of him as an employee.

How can he be a fan of the club when he got paid very well and completely shit on it for 6 months.

IMO and for what it’s worth… He’s yet another player who outgrew the ambition of this club…. we could have kept him AND kept him motivated. Maybe things aren’t all about money? The club (Lansdowns) has talked a lot of ambition but delivered little. Ten years back at this level and zero promotion pushes. Sacked the manager who got us here and an unhealthy obsession with young inexperienced managers and ditching experienced players. 
How many others have had to leave us to realise their ambitions and could we have done more? Bryan, Reid, Flint, Scott, Semenyo, Brownhill, Mark Ashton! 
Tons more I’m sure. 
We’re now back to a dangerous state where the pathway is blocked again, squad getting bloated with like-for-like players. Reminds me of the last days of Johnson Senior. 
The club has failed to show the ambition needed for good players (and Fam was a good player) to stay and achieve. 
We shouldn’t blame players for out-stripping us. Maybe he downed-tools a bit but that’s quite a normal human reaction when know you’re moving on, know that you’ve no choice but to move on. 

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

IMO and for what it’s worth… He’s yet another player who outgrew the ambition of this club…. we could have kept him AND kept him motivated. Maybe things aren’t all about money? The club (Lansdowns) has talked a lot of ambition but delivered little. Ten years back at this level and zero promotion pushes. Sacked the manager who got us here and an unhealthy obsession with young inexperienced managers and ditching experienced players. 
How many others have had to leave us to realise their ambitions and could we have done more? Bryan, Reid, Flint, Scott, Semenyo, Brownhill, Mark Ashton! 
Tons more I’m sure. 
We’re now back to a dangerous state where the pathway is blocked again, squad getting bloated with like-for-like players. Reminds me of the last days of Johnson Senior. 
The club has failed to show the ambition needed for good players (and Fam was a good player) to stay and achieve. 
We shouldn’t blame players for out-stripping us. Maybe he downed-tools a bit but that’s quite a normal human reaction when know you’re moving on, know that you’ve no choice but to move on. 

What ambitions did Flint realise?!?

The term legend seems to be used a lot when they’re probably more of a cult hero 

His final six months here I’d argue he had to put himself first at that point especially if he knew he wasn’t being kept on despite the bs from our then chief executive or MD or whatever title he gave himself said. As he was potentially one injury away from being on the scrap heap 

From what i remember he wasn’t the only one. pretty sure Lyle Taylor and a Bournemouth player both refused to play towards the end to protect themselves 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, East Londoner said:

The term legend seems to be used a lot when they’re probably more of a cult hero 

His final six months here I’d argue he had to put himself first at that point especially if he knew he wasn’t being kept on despite the bs from our then chief executive or MD or whatever title he gave himself said. As he was potentially one injury away from being on the scrap heap 

From what i remember he wasn’t the only one. pretty sure Lyle Taylor and a Bournemouth player both refused to play towards the end to protect themselves 

Completely disagree with this. Je didn't have to put himself 1st by not trying. End of the day he signed a deal for X amount of years to get paid and he decided he wasn't going to try for 6 months of that time.

I have no issue with a player running down their contract as that is what they signed up for but play until the end 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

39 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Thought he played in the top flight with Cardiff but he didn’t my mistake - presumably felt he had a better chance though.  Swap him for Websterthere will be more examples. 

Footballers will be ambitious and want to play at as high a level as they can. No one hangs around here long - they don’t believe we’re likely to be a prem club any time soon…. And they’re right! 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Legend 😂😂😂😂 bang average striker (that’s being kind) who downed tools last 6 months of his contract. Short memories some people . Touch like a trampoline 

Legend is much over-used and I’d agree that he’s not at those heights.

But he was also more than “bang average” - even if you’re being unkind!

Top scorer two season running. 25th highest goal tally in the club’s entire history. Only three goals short of Chris Garland and six behind Bob Taylor.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bearded_red said:

‘Legend’. My word.

Half hearted, average footballer with an appalling first touch more like.

Cannot believe I live in a world in which Joe Bryan got booed at Ashton Gate the other week while ******* Famara Diedhiou gets called a legend.

Agree with you about Famara Diedhiou. Definitely not a legend for me due to the way he played at the end of his contract but I’m pretty sure the booing of Joe Bryan was done in a light hearted way and he was also applauded 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Littlesh*t said:

He can wear a city shirt all he wants but the simple fact is he completely downed tools more than I have seen from a player before. 

I don't care what was said by Ashton etc or promises he had a contract and he let the fans down

Yep.

I felt Fam had other periods in his time here where he appeared to be going through the motions, and the spurts at other times…usually when his place was under threat.

Not a bad player, but felt he had more in him.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, East Londoner said:

They refused to play in the 2 months extension of the covid season iirc. Totally different reasons contractually.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Legend is much over-used and I’d agree that he’s not at those heights.

But he was also more than “bang average” - even if you’re being unkind!

Top scorer two season running. 25th highest goal tally in the club’s entire history. Only three goals short of Chris Garland and six behind Bob Taylor.

Ok , I was wrong . He was worse than bang average .

as you say though legend is way over used . I’d actually like to know if the OP has booed the return of Marlon pack , Luke ayling or any of the 2015 title winning squad . Squad that won our first league title for 60 years. They’re legends because they achieved something very few players have done in our history . 

All we can ask as fans is 100% comment from players . Fam downed tools . Got no respect whatsoever for players that do that 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ok , I was wrong . He was worse than bang average .

as you say though legend is way over used . I’d actually like to know if the OP has booed the return of Marlon pack , Luke ayling or any of the 2015 title winning squad . Squad that won our first league title for 60 years. They’re legends because they achieved something very few players have done in our history . 

All we can ask as fans is 100% comment from players . Fam downed tools . Got no respect whatsoever for players that do that 

So if he’s worse than ‘bang average’ that presumably makes Chris Garland and Bob Taylor bang average in your eyes?

We’ll never agree on this. I enjoyed watching him. He was generally more effective away from home - and home fans when we travelled usually rated him.

And he scored a lot of goals - some great ones among them. 

I don’t believe he ‘downed tools’; I think he was treated badly by the club with all that crap about highest ever paid player - and that turned his head to thinking about his future elsewhere.

You don’t agree. Fair enough. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

So if he’s worse than ‘bang average’ that presumably makes Chris Garland and Bob Taylor bang average in your eyes?

We’ll never agree on this. I enjoyed watching him. He was generally more effective away from home - and home fans when we travelled usually rated him.

And he scored a lot of goals - some great ones among them. 

I don’t believe he ‘downed tools’; I think he was treated badly by the club with all that crap about highest ever paid player - and that turned his head to thinking about his future elsewhere.

You don’t agree. Fair enough. 

Context needed . Goals to games ratio compared to the other two . No we won’t agree which is fine . He 100% downed tools imo . How is being offered a massive contract being treated badly ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Context needed . Goals to games ratio compared to the other two . No we won’t agree which is fine . He 100% downed tools imo . How is being offered a massive contract being treated badly ? 

i thought he said that was bs SSN?  I could be wrong on that but knowing what this club is capable of treatment wise i tend to agree  with italian Dave on this. (having said that,i have to admit that i tend to think the worst of anything upstairs does these days 😉)

32 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i thought he said that was bs SSN?  I could be wrong on that but knowing what this club is capable of treatment wise i tend to agree  with italian Dave on this. (having said that,i have to admit that i tend to think the worst of anything upstairs does these days 😉)

All about opinions but I think he was highly overrated by some on here. He wouldn’t  have scored the number of goals but a player like Nicky Morgan was a much better all round back to goal striker than fam. He gets hero stays because he sweated a lot . His first touch , positional play and use of his body was abysmal most of the time . For a bloke as big as him he constantly got bullied by defenders . 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

All about opinions but I think he was highly overrated by some on here. He wouldn’t  have scored the number of goals but a player like Nicky Morgan was a much better all round back to goal striker than fam. He gets hero stays because he sweated a lot . His first touch , positional play and use of his body was abysmal most of the time . For a bloke as big as him he constantly got bullied by defenders . 

agree with all of that.he was useful defending corners sometimes 😃

4 hours ago, Mendip City said:

Thought he played in the top flight with Cardiff but he didn’t my mistake - presumably felt he had a better chance though.  Swap him for Websterthere will be more examples. 

Footballers will be ambitious and want to play at as high a level as they can. No one hangs around here long - they don’t believe we’re likely to be a prem club any time soon…. And they’re right! 

He went to Middlesbrough from us didn’t he? At least he played there after us. They definitely have more ambition so he gave himself a better chance. I don't begrudge anyone moving on the better themselves. We're just treading water

• Like 2

For me it’s about recognising that he is maintaining a fond link to our club, rather than judging his behaviour or performance. Fam comes across as a nice guy who has continued to attend matches as a fan even when no longer on the payroll. That gets applause from me. 
As for him ‘switching off’ at the end of his contract; of course that’s unacceptable if done deliberately. I’ve no idea what was going on behind the scenes but players are also human beings with real feelings and emotions. If told ‘you have no future here - now go and play out of your skin for us’ it could mess with your head. 
I don’t see Fam as a ‘legend’ but I don’t get the anger at him either. For example to illustrate my point; at a managerial level, Cotts ‘switched off’ towards the end of his tenure, presumably due to the stuff that was going on behind the scenes but switch off he did - yet he is still held as a legend in many people’s eyes and his ‘indifference’ towards the last games of his tenure is rarely mentioned - or is sometimes even condoned, due to his treatment at the hands of the Lansdown family, yet at the same time Fam is berated for doing the same as a player - but you won’t see Cotts in the stands cheering us on, or wearing a replica shirt - he’s moved on. 
It just seems a little unfair to me. 

• Like 11

16 hours ago, JAWS said:

He went to Middlesbrough from us didn’t he? At least he played there after us. They definitely have more ambition so he gave himself a better chance. I don't begrudge anyone moving on the better themselves. We're just treading water

Spot on… I wish all our supporters realised this and didn’t believe the nonsense spouted about top six or promotion - it’s as far away as it has been since our last promotion. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Spot on… I wish all our supporters realised this and didn’t believe the nonsense spouted about top six or promotion - it’s as far away as it has been since our last promotion. 

I don't think that any rational person does believe the top 6, promotion bs.

However it's exactly what the board have said and intimated through their decision making, so they need to be held accountable for it.

• Like 2

I don’t think about top 6 really. I think about the next game and injuries, form etc. 

I would LIKE top 6 very much - but so would every fan of every side in this league - and some of our opponents are better placed financially and structurally so I won’t hold my breath. 
If it becomes a real possibility towards the end of the season then I might dare to dream, but we have a lot of games to face between now and then, so I’m keeping my head down for now. 

On 06/09/2024 at 12:58, Littlesh*t said:

Hmm, I wonder why he gets loads of abuse for 'downing tools' whilst Jamie Paterson doesn't??

Paterson did literally nothing during that time.  Diedhou actually won us 3 points at Boro I seem to remember.  

Jamie Paterson excelled in hiding in games.  Literally standing next to opponents when he couldn't be bothered.  

• Like 3

He also wasn’t very good. 

• Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

For me it’s about recognising that he is maintaining a fond link to our club, rather than judging his behaviour or performance. Fam comes across as a nice guy who has continued to attend matches as a fan even when no longer on the payroll. That gets applause from me. 
As for him ‘switching off’ at the end of his contract; of course that’s unacceptable if done deliberately. I’ve no idea what was going on behind the scenes but players are also human beings with real feelings and emotions. If told ‘you have no future here - now go and play out of your skin for us’ it could mess with your head. 
I don’t see Fam as a ‘legend’ but I don’t get the anger at him either. For example to illustrate my point; at a managerial level, Cotts ‘switched off’ towards the end of his tenure, presumably due to the stuff that was going on behind the scenes but switch off he did - yet he is still held as a legend in many people’s eyes and his ‘indifference’ towards the last games of his tenure is rarely mentioned - or is sometimes even condoned, due to his treatment at the hands of the Lansdown family, yet at the same time Fam is berated for doing the same as a player - but you won’t see Cotts in the stands cheering us on, or wearing a replica shirt - he’s moved on. 
It just seems a little unfair to me. 

Agree with some of this but don’t see it as unfair . I’m sure he is a decent bloke but we’re talking about him as a footballer . Now as far as I’m concerned , every footballer has to give 100% every game they play . Not for the club . Not for the fans . But for themselves & their own self worth . I question any players morals when they down tools . 

Seemed to have an uncanny knack of finding a bit of form in January for some reason……

The form seemed to completely desert him jan 31st about 11pm!!

I can’t quite put my finger on why……!!

• Like 1

If ever there is a case for a thread to be dumped in the ex players forum and assigned to history this is it. 

Famara Diehdou as someone said played in spurts. He dicked us over when his contract was running down by not bothering on the field and to be frank was a bit pony when he was putting it in! 

If someone says the bloke was a legend, then Carl Hutchins was a god of a footballer who should have statue! Perhaps statues to Hutchins and FD in the south stand bogs is appropriate? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I don't think that any rational person does believe the top 6, promotion bs.

However it's exactly what the board have said and intimated through their decision making, so they need to be held accountable for it.

Completely agree! 

On 06/09/2024 at 19:24, redsquirrel said:

agree with all of that.he was useful defending corners sometimes 😃

I thought he was quite superb at defending corners. Almost always got his head to the ball first. Without a doubt, though, he quite openly downed tools and that is totally unacceptable.

Edited by Red Shadow
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ZiderMeUp said:

Seemed to have an uncanny knack of finding a bit of form in January for some reason……

The form seemed to completely desert him jan 31st about 11pm!!

I can’t quite put my finger on why……!!

I noticed something similar happened with him at a subsequent Turkish club.

Not necessarily just Janaury, but the Period from late November early December to late January happened at least once.

His only good (and it was very good) game post January 2021 was Middlesbrough Away..

A) NP with a watching brief

B) Was linked with Middlesbrough January 2021, briefly Diedhiou and Assombalonga was mentioned iirc.

In the context of our football club, in which iconic moments happen every 10 years or so and usually involve beating smaller local rivals, he is a relative legend.

Basso remains the most iconic Bristol City ever to play for us during ‘my years’ (2005 onwards).

If you think that’s nonsense then honestly who do you think is more iconic/has greater legend status in the last two decades?

Edited by Robin101

On 06/09/2024 at 14:01, Steve Watts said:

My hunch is that for a bloke who spent the first part of his adult working life laying tarmac, that playing hundreds of games at Championship level, moving twice for fees in excess of £5m & having a £1m house In Portishead, he probably thinks that he has done alright.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, GrahamC said:

My hunch is that for a bloke who spent the first part of his adult working life laying tarmac, that playing hundreds of games at Championship level, moving twice for fees in excess of £5m & having a £1m house In Portishead, he probably thinks that he has done alright.

Granted, but he didn't have to leave us to achieve that...

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Robin101 said:

In the context of our football club, in which iconic moments happen every 10 years or so and usually involve beating smaller local rivals, he is a relative legend.

Basso remains the most iconic Bristol City ever to play for us during ‘my years’ (2005 onwards).

If you think that’s nonsense then honestly who do you think is more iconic/has greater legend status in the last two decades?

Basso was class. I’ve never seen a player galvanise fans and players alike. A true city legend. They should call the South Stand the Oh Basso End. Where he saved most of his pens. 

• Hmmm 1

If you rate a players entire career for Bristol City out of 10, for me he’d get a 7.

1 goal every 3 games near enough, 50+ overall. I won’t let his disappointing final 3 months (not 6) cloud my judgement of him as a player for the club. 

As for the ‘playing in spurts’ comments, how many Bristol City players remain consistent across a whole season? It’s very rare & those that do quickly move on!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Granted, but he didn't have to leave us to achieve that...

Probably not, although I’m sure he would have been grateful for his additional signing on payments.

From a City perspective, I suspect we had probably seen the best of him, and we certainly got our money’s worth.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

9 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

If you rate a players entire career for Bristol City out of 10, for me he’d get a 7.

1 goal every 3 games near enough, 50+ overall. I won’t let his disappointing final 3 months (not 6) cloud my judgement of him as a player for the club. 

As for the ‘playing in spurts’ comments, how many Bristol City players remain consistent across a whole season? It’s very rare & those that do quickly move on!

My comments weren’t to do with consistency of form, but application.  Imho, Fammy was a bugger for not putting it in every week when he felt his place in the team was certain.  When he was under threat, you saw a different Fam.  Overall for me between a 6 and a 7.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

My comments weren’t to do with consistency of form, but application.  Imho, Fammy was a bugger for not putting it in every week when he felt his place in the team was certain.  When he was under threat, you saw a different Fam.  Overall for me between a 6 and a 7.

I think quite a few players have been guilty of that over the years though, it’s why managers are always so keen for real competitiveness in each position. 

A mark of 6 across his time here would be extremely harsh for his overall contribution. 6.5 is just about reasonable, I think it’s still slightly below where I’d put him, but I’m happy to agree to disagree, people see things differently. 

Out of interest, how would you rate Nahki Wells?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I think quite a few players have been guilty of that over the years though, it’s why managers are always so keen for real competitiveness in each position. 

A mark of 6 across his time here would be extremely harsh for his overall contribution. 6.5 is just about reasonable, I think it’s still slightly below where I’d put him, but I’m happy to agree to disagree, people see things differently. 

Out of interest, how would you rate Nahki Wells?

Somewhere between a 6 and a 7 too, but different reasons.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Basso was class. I’ve never seen a player galvanise fans and players alike. A true city legend. They should call the South Stand the Oh Basso End. Where he saved most of his pens. 

Most overrated player we have ever had in my opinion!!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 3

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I have to agree with that, nothing pissed me off more than when he was on his way out, he was ZFG I'm off and effort level minimal in his last few games.

On 09/09/2024 at 14:04, Rob k said:

Most overrated player we have ever had in my opinion!!

Yep. Show pony of a goalkeeper.

Tried making the easiest of saves look spectacular and could barely kick a football.

Never understood the love for him apart from his Always Believe thing.

There's a reason he never did anything of note before us or after leaving us.

• Confused 1

On 08/09/2024 at 21:36, Shauntaylor85 said:

@GrahamC why hmmm? Name a more successful city side since the late 70’s? Basso was the driver of that success. Without him we would not have finished top 6 that season. 

6 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

@GrahamC why hmmm? Name a more successful city side since the late 70’s? Basso was the driver of that success. Without him we would not have finished top 6 that season. 

He was a good keeper, but not the only major part of that team.

Marvin Elliott was incredible in the playoff final season, the back four (Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister) was a very tight unit that gave up fewer chances than most have since.

McIndoe was really good, LJ & Sproule played their part, so did Byfield & Adebola, Noble had his days.

I liked Basso a lot, but you claim he “saved most of his penalties in front of the South stand”, wheres in his time with us he actually only saved 2, conceded 13.

Easy to exaggerate the past, isn’t it?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Marvin Elliott was incredible in the playoff final season, the back four (Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister) was a very tight unit that gave up fewer chances than most have since.

McIndoe was really good, LJ & Sproule played their part, so did Byfield & Adebola, Noble had his days.

I liked Basso a lot, but you claim he “saved most of his penalties in front of the South stand”, wheres in his time with us he actually only saved 2, conceded 13.

I am pleased to see that you acknowledge the contribution made by LJ during our playoff season.

I have often argued that, had he not been injured during our run in, we would probably not have been subjected to the heartbreak of the playoff final, although I still think it was a mistake to bring him on for the injured Orr in said final, moving Marvin Elliot and disrupting the team’s shape.

Much to the derision of many on here, I have compared him to Didier Deschamps, i.e. a water carrier - as described by Eric Cantona - and whilst I am not equating his ability to the two times World Cup winner, I maintain that LJ was an integral, often unsung member of that team.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am pleased to see that you acknowledge the contribution made by LJ during our playoff season.

I have often argued that, had he not been injured during our run in, we would probably not have been subjected to the heartbreak of the playoff final, although I still think it was a mistake to bring him on for the injured Orr in said final, moving Marvin Elliot and disrupting the team’s shape.

Much to the derision of many on here, I have compared him to Didier Deschamps, i.e. a water carrier - as described by Eric Cantona - and whilst I am not equating his ability to the two times World Cup winner, I maintain that LJ was an integral, often unsung member of that team.

It’s truly embarrassing that some still argue he was a passenger, only in the team because of his Dad.

We were top at Easter, so the other 10 players would have to have been Real Madrid standard to “carry” a team mate for 8 months, spoiler- they weren’t.

LJ wasn’t the best player in that side, but he wasn’t the worst, either.

Subsequent events have shaped that narrative, he was a decent player.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Divine intervention, the Palace pen was his aura. He is the most successful city keeper in the past 40 odd years. I disagree on the overall team, we were battered most games, I was at Hillsborough for the 0.1 and Basso prevented a 6.1 quite frankly. His passion and spirit created the ‘always believe’ which makes him a cult club hero. Legend.  

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s truly embarrassing that some still argue he was a passenger, only in the team because of his Dad.

We were top at Easter, so the other 10 players would have to have been Real Madrid standard to “carry” a team mate for 8 months, spoiler- they weren’t.

LJ wasn’t the best player in that side, but he wasn’t the worst, either.

Subsequent events have shaped that narrative, he was a decent player.

We lost the play off final because Gary couldn’t wait to get his son on the pitch. Vasko to CB, Carey to RB, keep our best CM in his best position. I’m not an LJ fan but he wasn’t an awful player, however the management decision was wrong when Warnock was available and wanted the job. Had we gone for Warnock this forum would have seen PL football by now in my view.

• Like 1