IGNORED

Tommy Conway tonight

RedLionLad

Scotland are pretty low in the FIFA rankings at 48 so it’s no surprise that they struggle to beat any team above them. Wales are ranked at 30.

At least Conway has experienced International football unlike the vast majority of City current or former players.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Scotland are pretty low in the FIFA rankings at 48 so it’s no surprise that they struggle to beat any team above them. Wales are ranked at 30.

At least Conway has experienced International football unlike the vast majority of City current or former players.

Dozens of ex-City players have played international football, a very strange thing for you to have said.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He didn’t get much of a look in while with us, even when in decent form.

Played a bit part for Boro so far, scored one penalty and next he is coming off the bench vs Portugal. Just doesn’t feel like that would have happened if at city.

To be fair he only got called up to the full team for the Euros and although Scotland weren't going to go through they weren't mathematically out until the end of the final group game.

I am sure the Scotland fans wouldn't have been happy dishing out debuts to young strikers when they still "had a chance"

7 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He didn’t get much of a look in while with us, even when in decent form.

Played a bit part for Boro so far, scored one penalty and next he is coming off the bench vs Portugal. Just doesn’t feel like that would have happened if at city.

He did play for them when he was with us & even got called up to their squad for the Euros.!

He was never going to get much/any game time there because he is nowhere near good enough for that level.

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

He did play for them when he was with us & even got called up to their squad for the Euros.!

He was never going to get much/any game time there because he is nowhere near good enough for that level.

He made one sub appearance and only got called up due to injuries to first choice players and even then only made it as Doak was injured, who has a combined 5 senior appearances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

He made one sub appearance and only got called up due to injuries to first choice players and even then only made it as Doak was injured, who has a combined 5 senior appearances.

Yeah, because he's really not good enough for that level of football.

But he still got called whilst with us.

In fairness, if he had then pulled out of the squad, I may have been next line, having tried Hagis on a trip to Edinburgh once.!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pillred said:

Dozens of ex-City players have played international football, a very strange thing for you to have said.

I can only think of one that’s played at full international level for England.

Oh good, it’s another “let’s slate Tommy Conway for having the gall to leave us thread”.

Basics. Nobody is saying he’s good enough for England, Portugal or any nation at the upper echelon of international football. But in a Scotland squad where the other striking options are Dykes (just moved to league one) and Shankland (unproven outside of SPL), you’d best believe he’s a decent option for Steve Clarke. Essentially, he’s playing at a higher level than any of their other striking options (bar Adams) and therefore has to be in the equation. And for avoidance of doubt that would have been the case with us as equally as it is with Middlesbrough, there’s no anti City bias here.

Barely touching the ball for 20 is again a function of how good Scotland are in relation to Portugal. The front man needs to have the ball up to him and he was never getting that.

Nobody is saying or has ever said he’s that good. But he’s good enough for Scotland, and patently, as Boro signed him (and whether people like it or not they are a bigger/better side than us to most neutral observers), he’s seen as good enough for a top six chasing championship club. 

And @Robbored - the question wasn’t about England players but if you want to limit it to that then in the last 25 years you can have, off the top of my head, Cole, Abraham, Caulker, Rose, Dunk.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 19

9 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Anyone else feel like if he was still with us he wouldn’t have got off the bench tonight?

Yep, he should of come on in the Euros when Scotland needed a goal against realistic opposition not for the last 20 minutes in Lisbon against one of the best teams in the world, it’s like the England cricket team where the selectors hardly ever come west of Surrey and Middlesex

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

And @Robbored - the question wasn’t about England players but if you want to limit it to that then in the last 25 years you can have, off the top of my head, Cole, Abraham, Caulker, Rose, Dunk.

None of them were at City when playing for City Silvio. The only player to win England caps whilst at City was John Atyeo.

• Hmmm 1

31 minutes ago, Robbored said:

None of them were at City when playing for City Silvio. The only player to win England caps whilst at City was John Atyeo.

If only there had been a pub opposite the ground named after a former player that could help you out here.

• Haha 4
  • Flames 1

You said INTERNATIONAL football, Methinks you have realised you made a bad mistake and are now hastily backtracking, there was no mention that it had to be a FULL international cap for ENGLAND.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

You start off stating that at leat Tommy got to play international football (  for scotland) then change it to England when @pillred reminds you that dozens of City players have been internationals.

I think you're moving the goalposts to save face on a silly comment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

1 minute ago, pillred said:

You said INTERNATIONAL football, Methinks you have realised you made a bad mistake and are now hastily backtracking, there was no mention that it had to be a FULL international cap for ENGLAND.

Indeed. And his original post didn’t indicate they had to play for City when playing for their country. And even then he was wrong.

It’s like dealing with ****ing Ted Rogers trying to understand what he means on questions.

• Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

If only there had been a pub opposite the ground named after a former player that could help you out here.

26 caps too compared to John Atyeo's six caps.

• Like 2

I was at the game. Never understood the indignation for Conway, it was obvious to me that as soon as Alex Scott left he would eventually too, as by comparison with his mate he wouldn't be able to feel he had moved on without that next step 'up' of his own, even if his options were more limited and not to the Prem.

But no malice from me and as one of our own academy products who has given us a few decent days out I felt proud to see him in such a famous stadium and up against world class footballers, even if the screw was already turning to win the ball back quickly from Scotland and get Portugal a winner. Tommy did have one touch up against Antonio Silva (20 year old Benfica CB) where he showed a fair amount of strength to hold the ball up but eventually got it nicked off him.

Difficult time to enter the game, thought Gilmour and McTominay looked good in midfield and might have been interesting to see Tommy with more time to peel off a marker earlier in the game when those two were getting forward to occupy the defence (and with Scotland fans making a fair bit of noise) but instead he entered at a time they'd all run out of steam and Scotland was just grimly hanging on.

IMG_0194.thumb.jpeg.58e6c904b407df0cb67a9df4a8f44db8.jpegIMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.9a5501ae03ac787bf777bb38c4985b4e.jpegIMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.fd3146594d916b1a37587bfc4457013f.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Anyone else feel like if he was still with us he wouldn’t have got off the bench tonight?

I think I probably agree with you.

Going for relatively big money and being a marquee signing somewhere like Middlesboro is undoubtedly a profile builder and shines a bigger spotlight on him than might otherwise have been he stayed here.

And I also think he didn't really suit the way we were playing or what Manning wants up top, so I'm not sure he would have played his way into coming off the bench. 

Take all the points that he was called up before when with us, but only then as a squad player and numbers filler. I think the reason he is getting minutes is a result of the transfer. 

22 minutes ago, Olé said:

I was at the game. Never understood the indignation for Conway, it was obvious to me that as soon as Alex Scott left he would eventually too, as by comparison with his mate he wouldn't be able to feel he had moved on without that next step 'up' of his own, even if his options were more limited and not to the Prem.

But no malice from me and as one of our own academy products who has given us a few decent days out I felt proud to see him in such a famous stadium and up against world class footballers, even if the screw was already turning to win the ball back quickly from Scotland and get Portugal a winner. Tommy did have one touch up against Antonio Silva (20 year old Benfica CB) where he showed a fair amount of strength to hold the ball up but eventually got it nicked off him.

Difficult time to enter the game, thought Gilmour and McTominay looked good in midfield and might have been interesting to see Tommy with more time to peel off a marker earlier in the game when those two were getting forward to occupy the defence (and with Scotland fans making a fair bit of noise) but instead he entered at a time they'd all run out of steam and Scotland was just grimly hanging on.

IMG_0194.thumb.jpeg.58e6c904b407df0cb67a9df4a8f44db8.jpegIMG_0203.thumb.jpeg.9a5501ae03ac787bf777bb38c4985b4e.jpegIMG_0204.thumb.jpeg.fd3146594d916b1a37587bfc4457013f.jpeg

Looks a good experience! Conway got to share a pitch with ronaldo and presumably shake his hand at the end too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pillred said:

International football to me is England.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

International football to me is England.

Ummmmm…..so has Conway played international football or not….

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

5 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Ship & Castle ?

The (Terry) Coopers. 

And of course, The Rising Sun was named in honour of our Japanese international Yu Hirakawa. 

Let’s also not forget that up the road we have The Spanish Bar. Named after our Spanish loan legend of 2019/20 Rodri. 

• Like 3
  • Robin 1

Playing as a lone striker once again can't have helped him. Would be interested to see if Scotland could get him alongside someone else as they definitely have some quality in the middle of the park to provide him with through balls. I think it would be for the best if Steve Clark moved on and let Moyes have a crack.

I do find the whole Ronaldo thing a bit odd, I coach a kids team like little ones and they're still banging on about CR7.  They're getting it from the media rather than watching him on TV. Its the same with Messi.  

It would have been like me bleating on about Pele as a kid.  It's very odd how it's more brand that's trickling down the the kids than player.

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I do find the whole Ronaldo thing a bit odd, I coach a kids team like little ones and they're still banging on about CR7.  They're getting it from the media rather than watching him on TV. Its the same with Messi.  

It would have been like me bleating on about Pele as a kid.  It's very odd how it's more brand that's trickling down the the kids than player.

Personally I don’t think it’s odd at all. 

Ronaldo & Messi have been head and shoulders above anyone else in the last 20 years. They are going to continue to have an influential footprint for the next 5 years at least. 

There are no other players currently ready to take on the mantle that these 2 are leaving behind. Mbappe is nowhere near their level at this stage but also won’t ever court the same media persona / attention. 
We may see it from the likes of Yamal in years to come but he’s still got some way to go. 

Ronaldo and Messi are leaving behind a huge void when they retire. It’ll take a few years for someone else to step into that and have the same level of attention. 

Regarding Pele - he’d retired by the time I was 3 years old but I still grew up knowing exactly who he was and wanting a Brazil shirt with number 10 on it and pretending I was him when I was kicking around in the park.  And this was before social media and with very little television coverage. I can’t imagine what level of coverage he’d have got in this day and age. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

So your comment that at least Tommy got to play international football is irrelevant then, he hasn’t played for England?

Correctomondo! The only international selection that matters is an England cap.

Mickey Mouse could get into any other UK teams.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Harry said:

Personally I don’t think it’s odd at all. 

Ronaldo & Messi have been head and shoulders above anyone else in the last 20 years. They are going to continue to have an influential footprint for the next 5 years at least. 

There are no other players currently ready to take on the mantle that these 2 are leaving behind. Mbappe is nowhere near their level at this stage but also won’t ever court the same media persona / attention. 
We may see it from the likes of Yamal in years to come but he’s still got some way to go. 

Ronaldo and Messi are leaving behind a huge void when they retire. It’ll take a few years for someone else to step into that and have the same level of attention. 

Regarding Pele - he’d retired by the time I was 3 years old but I still grew up knowing exactly who he was and wanting a Brazil shirt with number 10 on it and pretending I was him when I was kicking around in the park.  And this was before social media and with very little television coverage. I can’t imagine what level of coverage he’d have got in this day and age. 

You've just aged yourself as being the same age as me.  I was all over being Chris Waddle as a kid.  

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I am finding more children are following individuals rather than club's now which I find hard to understand.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Ronaldo, in some eyes the best ever which he really isn't for me. If you just want a ruthless, selfish goalscorer then maybe he is, but in terms of all round play and selflessness then it's Messi by quite some distance.

• Like 1

Just now, 2015 said:

I am finding more children are following individuals rather than club's now which I find hard to understand.

Can't say I'm a big fan of Ronaldo, in some eyes the best ever which he really isn't for me. If you just want a ruthless, selfish goalscorer then maybe he is, but in terms of all round play and selflessness then it's Messi by quite some distance.

I really don't like the whole eulogistic way we build players up nowadays.  Messi and Ronaldo are both exceptional footballers, but so was Patrick Vierra just a different role, I hate the way it's always about the business end of the pitch.  It makes it so hard to coach young kids when you only have celebrity in those roles.  They're special but they need a team around them, Pepe was just as important the the Portugal teams success and Buffon for Italy yet Perlo is probably more famous. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I really don't like the whole eulogistic way we build players up nowadays.  Messi and Ronaldo are both exceptional footballers, but so was Patrick Vierra just a different role, I hate the way it's always about the business end of the pitch.  It makes it so hard to coach young kids when you only have celebrity in those roles.  They're special but they need a team around them, Pepe was just as important the the Portugal teams success and Buffon for Italy yet Perlo is probably more famous. 

Absolutely. Totally agree. I often think this is why England produce so many exceptional attacking talents but very little midfielders in the ilk of Pirlo, Busquets, Modric etc. Because they aren't as 'cool' or trendy to play like. Scoring goals is not just what football is about.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

France aren’t a UK team………:cool2:

The whole topic didn’t start as UK teams though.

It was international football, not UK based only.

You just whittled it down to that when you said the only international cap which is of any relevance is an England cap.

I’m sure any player that gets a call up is proud regardless of whether you think it’s a decent standard or not.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Absolutely. Totally agree. I often think this is why England produce so many exceptional attacking talents but very little midfielders in the ilk of Pirlo, Busquets, Modric etc. Because they aren't as 'cool' or trendy to play like. Scoring goals is not just what football is about.

Well it sort of is…

The idea of the game is to score more goals than the other team.

You don’t win a game by spraying a beautiful diagonal 50 yard pass!

1 minute ago, grifty said:

Well it sort of is…

The idea of the game is to score more goals than the other team.

You don’t win a game by spraying a beautiful diagonal 50 yard pass!

Being a midfielder spraying 50 yard balls around can be a nucleus of a successful side though. Not everyone can be a goalscorer.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

You just whittled it down to that when you said the only international cap which is of any relevance is an England cap.

I’m sure any player that gets a call up is proud regardless of whether you think it’s a decent standard or not.

That’s my opinion BotD and of course a player who gets called up by his country should feel proud to wear his country’s shirt. The standard is irrelevant to them but the standard is relevant to others who aren’t from the same country.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s my opinion BotD and of course a player who gets called up by his country should feel proud to wear his country’s shirt. The standard is irrelevant to them but the standard is relevant to others who aren’t from the same country.

So as I said earlier, which you responded to earlier with a hmmm reaction.

There are probably many fans of other countries around the world who see winning a cap for England in the same way as you see winning a cap for Scotland.

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

So as I said earlier, which you responded to earlier with a hmmm reaction.

There are probably many fans of other countries around the world who see winning a cap for England in the same way as you see winning a cap for Scotland.

I seriously doubt that.

31 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Well how do you quantify it ? If it’s on success then we’re hardly an international powerhouse are we ?

So what makes us so admired in others eyes ?

We invented the game and took it worldwide - that’s what the song ‘it’s coming home’ means. Other country’s want desperately to beat us, particularly the Scots and the French.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

We invented the game and took it worldwide - that’s what the song ‘it’s coming home’ means. Other country’s want desperately to beat us, particularly the Scots and the French.

Yeah I think most fans are interested in the success of their team as opposed to being in awe of us for inventing the game.

You still haven’t convinced me that fans of successful nations don’t see winning a cap for England in the same light as you see winning a cap for any of the other UK sides.

And probably one of the reasons teams want to beat us so badly is due to this old fashioned view that we should be admired for inventing the game and taking it around the world and the way that some people(you included as evidenced by what you’ve said previously)

look down on other nations when England as an international side have been pretty unsuccessful 

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And sadly the French generally do.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Correctomondo! The only international selection that matters is an England cap.

Mickey Mouse could get into any other UK teams.

Pretty sure he’s American?

• Haha 3