IGNORED

who is off to Norman Wisdom country this coming Saturday?

on the 14th September.

We are housed in the Darwen end,as its nearer to the place called Darwen,spelt Darwen not Darwin like in Northern Australia.

Darwen was the place that NW used for his film "there was a crooked man" which involved him blowing up a British Town(Darwen) dressed as a USA general.

The film was not released until 2017(that's the year not the time) although the film was completed in 1960

On request from the USA the film was not released, as the USA thought it would not look good with an American general(in uniform) blowing up a British town

as Russia and USA were at one another's throats at the time.

Although a perfect version of the film eventually appeared on you tube in Russian audio, with sub-titles.

Maybe drop into Darwen on your way to Blackburn

Its a shame that with all the money that Jack Warner put into the club he could not build a new train station at Ewood Park.

The train line is just above the embankment at the back of the ground

The Beatles(ask your grand parents) did have a song called a day in the life from Sgt Pepper which mentioned the 4,000 holes in Blackburn Lancashire

didn't think pot holes were a problem back then.

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Its a shame that with all the money that Jack Warner put into the club he could not build a new train station at Ewood Park.

He’d have probably built one in Dock Green, wouldn’t he!!! 👀

• Haha 9
  • Flames 1

Their local Council is called Blackburn With Darwen, which confused me when I went there to do some work over a couple of months or so. 

I did ask why, but they weren't very forthcoming, but it then dawned on me that Blackburn And Darwen, wouldn't look good abbreviated. :)

Edited by Port Said Red

2 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

A little known fact is that the town of Blackburn is named after former Radio 1 DJ Tony Blackburn who was presented the Radio 1 summer roadshow from there

Radio one roadshows were always beach resorts. I was fully onboard with your story until I got to that part! 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Norman Wisdom also made a film here in Teignmouth, Press for time. Please don’t call in on your way to Blackburn though.

If you’re lucky and I remember I’ll go into more detail on New Year’s Day and Plymouth (a) 

Looking forward to it already!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TV Tom said:

A little known fact is that the town of Blackburn is named after former Radio 1 DJ Tony Blackburn who was presented the Radio 1 summer roadshow from there

Surely you're wrong, teams called Blackburn Olympic and Blackburn Rovers won the FA Cup in the early 1880s. Tony Blackburn surely wasn't around then?

Just checked on Google. He was. Sorry for doubting you TV Tom.

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Surely you're wrong, teams called Blackburn Olympic and Blackburn Rovers won the FA Cup in the early 1880s. Tony Blackburn surely wasn't around then?

Just checked on Google. He was. Sorry for doubting you TV Tom.

You are indeed correct, Tony Blackburn was born in 1861 (the start of the American civil war) which was a good 20 years before the Blackburn cup final victories 

• Haha 1

Ewood and Turf Moor are the away grounds i have visited the most as i have outlaws that live just outside Haslingdon.

I think this will be my ninth time at Ewood, 7 watching City and 2 watching them in the Premier league.

The worst afternoon without a doubt was getting battered 4-0 under the new Dalglish regime, January 1992 where i think David Speedie had the last laugh.