IGNORED

Andi Weimann

GrahamC

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I can't think of any player in recent times I have more respect for than Andi. He seems to be such an admirable guy in all respects. I hope he gets a warm reception on his return, he deserves it.

Absolutely. Right with you on that one. Top bloke, Andi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

I can't think of any player in recent times I have more respect for than Andi. He seems to be such an admirable guy in all respects. I hope he gets a warm reception on his return, he deserves it.

Whilst I agree with you, given in recent years fans have booed returning players who achieved more than he did who knows? 

1 hour ago, Super said:

Not always guaranteed with some of our fans.

Indeed as per my post above. I don’t even know when this ‘trend’ of booing ex players started. In the past unless they’d properly wronged us in some way most would get a reasonable reception. I recall when Matt Hill came back whilst at Preston the whole of the Atyeo gave him a standing ovation.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

I still can't get my head around the fact that after scoring 22 goals in one season he was subsequently over looked (by both NP & LM) as a central option.  Natural finishers are hard to come by at this level by he certainly was one. Just an all round technicallly good player. Bizarre & a waste.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Super said:

Best ever is a bit OTT.

Suppose it all depends how long you’ve watched us.

Not for me but then I have seen 50 years plus of us, if you had only seen the last 7 or 8 years I understand why you might think so.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Anyone wondering what he ever did for the Club can go and have a read of the honours board.

I don't think anyone is doubting that i just wouldn't have him down as one of the greats.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Suppose it all depends how long you’ve watched us.

Not for me but then I have seen 50 years plus of us, if you had only seen the last 7 or 8 years I understand why you might think so.

I've only been watching for 25ish years and I'm not suggesting I'd have him in the best Bristol City XI I've seen, BUT...

Presumably there aren't many in our entire history who've scored more goals for the club in the top two tiers than Andreas Weimann?

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

12 hours ago, One Team said:

Indeed as per my post above. I don’t even know when this ‘trend’ of booing ex players started. In the past unless they’d properly wronged us in some way most would get a reasonable reception. I recall when Matt Hill came back whilst at Preston the whole of the Atyeo gave him a standing ovation.

Looking thru a cider and coke haze probably doesn't help good decision making

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Super said:

I don't think anyone is doubting that i just wouldn't have him down as one of the greats.

As in our greatest ever players? No probably not for me either, but he is on the list of highest goal scorers, and all scored in the second tier as well. I'd say he will likely be in the "best of the decade" once this decade is done with. I enjoyed watching him.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

I've only been watching for 25ish years and I'm not suggesting I'd have him in the best Bristol City XI I've seen, BUT...

Presumably there aren't many in our entire history who've scored more goals for the club in the top two tiers than Andreas Weimann?

You would have to go back to the 50s & 60s to find many that did.

Tom Ritchie & John Galley are two that are more recent, so bearing in mind the latter was 80 recently, that proves your point.

Those who were demonstrably better (like say Cole) didn’t stay long.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

You would have to go back to the 50s & 60s to find many that did.

Tom Ritchie & John Galley are two that are more recent, so bearing in mind the latter was 80 recently, that proves your point.

Those who were demonstrably better (like say Cole) didn’t stay long.

any one we get now just so much as promising to be anything like andy cole  would be sold as quickly as cole was if not quicker

££££££££££££ seem to come first now

• Flames 1

46 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

any one we get now just so much as promising to be anything like andy cole  would be sold as quickly as cole was if not quicker

££££££££££££ seem to come first now

Probably wishful thinking on my part here but.. 

I'm going that the combination of sales, hard work to get costs aligned etc will mean that we can be flexible over the next few years with this.

I read on the Derby forum that there was a £10m bid for Knight from Bournemouth in his time here- could be rubbish. However maybe just maybe we can look at keeping the current core until Summer 2026 minimum while hopefully further improvements through tweaks etc.

That's my hope anyway. Might need to do something about the Contracts for the following though...

*O'Leary, Tanner, Vyner, Atkinson, Pring and Roberts. 

All up in 2026? 😬

Technically McCrorie and Dickie are too but we have a year option on each. Hopefully there isn't a crunch looming however. That's most of our defence!

• Like 1

On 10/09/2024 at 15:51, chinapig said:

Totally agree. Really miss him. Pleased his season’s going well for him,totally deserved. 
 A very committed players and always gave his best. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, JAWS said:

I still can't get my head around the fact that after scoring 22 goals in one season he was subsequently over looked (by both NP & LM) as a central option.  Natural finishers are hard to come by at this level by he certainly was one. Just an all round technicallly good player. Bizarre & a waste.

Yeah was a strange one. I think Andi's downfall in many was was that he was so versatile, managers seemed to prefer pushing him out wide if it meant accommodating other strikers in the more central role.

Like you said after scoring 22 goals we should have been looking to make him the main man in that central role. 

Terrific player at this level though, i for one would have offered him another deal. Worked like a dog for the team and was always a goal threat.

• Like 10

48 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Yeah was a strange one. I think Andi's downfall in many was was that he was so versatile, managers seemed to prefer pushing him out wide if it meant accommodating other strikers in the more central role.

Like you said after scoring 22 goals we should have been looking to make him the main man in that central role. 

Terrific player at this level though, i for one would have offered him another deal. Worked like a dog for the team and was always a goal threat.

Yes you're probably right, it probably was his downfall but a better manager should've persisted with him through the middle. Our loss is definitely Blackburn's gain 

Top pro and someone who always gave 100%

That season when he scored 22 goals was brilliant - will always remember Sheff Utd away that season……scenes in the away end when he bagged his hat-trick……outstanding 👏

Having said that, let’s hope he has a “doomer” on Saturday! 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Top bloke and will always be fondly remembered.

Obviously I hope he doesn’t score on Saturday but I’ve no problem him celebrating in front of the Blackburn fans it if he does.

absolutely Ralph,he was a model pro from start to finish, hes got his job there to do now, i would expect more of the same, players like Andi have brains, listen to advice and have more than money in mind when thinking about their futures.

• Like 2

I think as a fan all you want from a player is to give us 100% every time they crossed the white line.  What better example of over achieving on this is there than Andi Weimann with the added benefit that he was also a very good footballer. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Shuffle said:

I think as a fan all you want from a player is to give us 100% every time they crossed the white line.  What better example of over achieving on this is there than Andi Weimann with the added benefit that he was also a very good footballer. 

100%. 

Managers dream, he played wherever he was asked without complaint.

My favourite Martin O’Neill quote is “if you play for the badge on the shirt then fans will remember the name on the back of it”.

Sums Andi up perfectly.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Loosey Boy said:

Top pro and someone who always gave 100%

That season when he scored 22 goals was brilliant - will always remember Sheff Utd away that season……scenes in the away end when he bagged his hat-trick……outstanding 👏

Having said that, let’s hope he has a “doomer” on Saturday! 😂

All good goals as well. 

Did he score 2 hat tricks for us? 

Can't think of any other player scoring more than 1 for us in the last 25 years  sure someone will know? 

1 hour ago, Fpcity said:

All good goals as well. 

Did he score 2 hat tricks for us? 

Can't think of any other player scoring more than 1 for us in the last 25 years  sure someone will know? 

That hat trick against Sheffield United away was one of the best city moments in recent memory

6 hours ago, Ecko said:

That hat trick against Sheffield United away was one of the best city moments in recent memory

I'll go along with that, when the third goal went in, in front of us, cue pandemonium. One of those magic moments & its the reason you love football and love this club.

• Like 2

On 12/09/2024 at 16:05, Ecko said:

Tony Thorpe scored three hat tricks - the only player to do so this century ! (between 2000 and 2001)

Destined to score today. You just know it. It’s Bristol City all over. 

12 hours ago, GrahamC said:

In League One.

The League One Wilson era was so enjoyable. Whilst we failed to achieve much, going to Ashton Gate wasn’t like watching paint dry. It was edge of the seat stuff.