IGNORED

Green Un July 1977

1960maaan

Don't think I've posted this before, but just came across it again so here you are.

July 23rd 1977. 
Not a lot going on Football wise, City are off on pre Season tour and the Board are in upheaval . 
That lot wants David Williams to go full time, but he wants to stay a teacher . Maybe he should have stuck with that ?
Gary Mabbutt signed as an apprentice .
The 3 City articles are below.

Not sure why a summer paper got kept when I tossed all the ones with promotion and the like, but we all make mistakes .

greenun.thumb.jpg.ec402cd14ebc0aa2f00c058cdabc9e46.jpg

greenun1.thumb.jpg.7f289d47ae60fb3f0f031c4c1b99241a.jpg

greenun2.thumb.jpg.8ae9d07db4e9c9f372ccbadc88990aa0.jpg

• Thanks 3

I lost all my memorabilia from that time too including signatures from a lot of the promotion squad. In the days when you could meet the players in the bar ! Bloody house by move I think was the reason.

Nice to see & it was my birthday that day.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was there also a ‘Pink’un’ ?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lavington Robin said:

I lost all my memorabilia from that time too including signatures from a lot of the promotion squad. In the days when you could meet the players in the bar ! Bloody house by move I think was the reason.

Nice to see & it was my birthday that day.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or was there also a ‘Pink’un’ ?

There was a Midlands version of the Green `Un called the Pink `Un which you could get at Frankley Services on the way back from away games up north.

58 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Can't recall the Pink un,but I think it disappeared circa 1965 ish

29 minutes ago, Sarumred said:

Correct. There was a Pink Un but not sure when it was no longer printed.

I believe the last Pink Un was in January 1962 as that was when the Bristol Evening World (it's daily sister paper) also stopped being published. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

There was a Midlands version of the Green `Un called the Pink `Un which you could get at Frankley Services on the way back from away games up north.

I remember stopping and picking up that from the Services . 
My other memory from then was an early phone in on BRMB Radio. Don't remember anything about the presenter other than they had to put on a delay on the calls because of the abuse and bad language, a jingle would pop in at the right time. We were in fits when you would get a caller saying something like ....

"I think Villa are Fu ..... 🎶 BRMB Radio 🎶

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I remember stopping and picking up that from the Services . 
My other memory from then was an early phone in on BRMB Radio. Don't remember anything about the presenter other than they had to put on a delay on the calls because of the abuse and bad language, a jingle would pop in at the right time. We were in fits when you would get a caller saying something like ....

"I think Villa are Fu ..... 🎶 BRMB Radio 🎶

Tony Butler.

“Just been to The Baggies, it was ******* shit”

”We’re going to have to end that call””.

Classic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It’s interesting to look at the professions of potential board members - i.e. retired master butcher and retired headmaster. The financial situation regarding board members has changed drastically since those days 

• Like 1

The Pink un came out later on the Saturday evening. The Green un came out first about 6 ish. I remember my Grandad waiting for the Pink un to come out because it had the Racing results as well as the Football results . Don't know when the Pink un stopped.

58 minutes ago, fatchers said:

The Pink un came out later on the Saturday evening. The Green un came out first about 6 ish. I remember my Grandad waiting for the Pink un to come out because it had the Racing results as well as the Football results . Don't know when the Pink un stopped.

That's how I remember it. Had to get the Pink un if you missed the Green un as sold out etc

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StGeorge said:

Thinking about it, it's pretty impressive really, paper on stands/shops etc an hour or so after match end.

And remember, they had 3 editions of the Evening Post each day, 1 , 2 and 3 star.

Rolling news back in the day....😀

i used to deliver the 2 star, the bundle was delivered to my mums house then i had to cycle all over tickenham to deliver 30 papers. also had to go back out about 7 oclock on saturdays with 6 or 7 green uns. all for 2 quid a week approx or just under.

sometimes on a saturday, the 2 star got skipped and i got 3 stars, same paper with a column on back page for brief latest news. as for the pink un, i dont know why i can remember that, i wasnt born until 1964,was there a revival for a while?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i used to deliver the 2 star, the bundle was delivered to my mums house then i had to cycle all over tickenham to deliver 30 papers. also had to go back out about 7 oclock on saturdays with 6 or 7 green uns. all for 2 quid a week approx or just under.

Luxury. Well, we had it tough... :laugh:

Different times. You tell the people today, they wont believe you!

Nice one RS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StGeorge said:

Thinking about it, it's pretty impressive really, paper on stands/shops etc an hour or so after match end.

And remember, they had 3 editions of the Evening Post each day, 1 , 2 and 3 star.

Didn't really think about it at the time, but we used to catch the 19 Bus from the Robins not long after the game. By the time we got to the Centre the Green Un was there and people would jump off to buy one and jump back on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I used to deliver the Evening Post. Occasionally,on a Saturday, I was asked by the Newsagent if I could do the Green un round after. 
This was 1973/74, before the days of ceefax,internet etc,so getting the chance of a free read and results catch up early on a Saturday was a right thrill.

When I did get to a game on Saturdays, other half time scores were shown on a big board and you needed to look in the programme to tie up the games to the scores.

How times have changed!

9 hours ago, StGeorge said:

I remember a bloke selling the Post in Broadmesd.

“Evenin’ Post! Three starrrRRR”

Edited by TedsHeadIs Red

I have many copies (maybe 50 copies) of the Green un from the 1st division heydays.,My dad collected them and passed them to me. He tended to keep those from ‘significant events’ such as promotion, Arsenal 1-0, Coventry relegation 2-2 game, Mabbutt hat-trick at Utd, Royle’s 4 goals on debut….As a kid I would run to the newsagent only or hour or two after the match to get it for him along with a handful of fruit salads - remember them??!  A great nostalgic read.

p.s. Yes John I know you’d like them or to take photos. Will sort one day when time allows. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, StGeorge said:

Luxury. Well, we had it tough... :laugh:

Different times. You tell the people today, they wont believe you!

Nice one RS

one of my neighbours used to buy and sell rare and expensive trainers up until recently, offered his much younger sister 30 quid to watch his ebay account one morning to see what offers he was getting, she told him it wasnt worth getting up for that 🤣

23 hours ago, pikeysrobins said:

I have many copies (maybe 50 copies) of the Green un from the 1st division heydays.,My dad collected them and passed them to me. He tended to keep those from ‘significant events’ such as promotion, Arsenal 1-0, Coventry relegation 2-2 game, Mabbutt hat-trick at Utd, Royle’s 4 goals on debut….As a kid I would run to the newsagent only or hour or two after the match to get it for him along with a handful of fruit salads - remember them??!  A great nostalgic read.

p.s. Yes John I know you’d like them or to take photos. Will sort one day when time allows. 

Black Jacks were my thing, are they still around ?

On 14/09/2024 at 12:41, Sweeneys Penalties said:

lived in Bath at the time. My dad (who would drive) picked up a Green Un in Bristol (for City related news) and a Pink Un in Bath for anything related to Bath City and the local teams to where we lived

Thanks that’s what my fading memory was too as I remember coming back to Bath with my dad & him picking up the Pink’un.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember it Sunday Morning from late 1990s onwards.

Did it really end in 2004?

Dunno I left Bath in 1987 so have no idea of either papers history. Amazing how quickly they produced them after the game though. But of course we have everything at our fingertips now, for better or worse !