IGNORED

Would have thought Blackburn had more than 9,000 season tickets

Even though they have been in the top flight,they still have season tickets on sale after 9,000 have already been purchased.

There Manager is up for the manager of the month award along with

West Brom boss Carlos Corberan, Watford chief Tom Cleverley and Sunderland gaffer Regis Le Bris.

Edited by Never to the dark side

22 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Blackburn is a mid sized town, with a population 1/4 of Bristol, with a much smaller catchment area 

Plus in a significant hotbed of football.

Blackburn, Burnley, Preston

Accrington

Man City, Man United

Everton, Liverpool

Bolton, Wigan

Tranmere

Am I missing anyone? The Manchester clubs and Liverpool can hoover up a lot of support too.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Burnley population 96,000 and one resident in five attend Burnley games(21,000)

Blackburn population 148,000 average home league attendance 15,579

Thirteen miles apart and both are one team towns

Both are one team towns but both have that aforementioned competition. The regional competition, hotbed.

Especially in the modern game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Plus in a significant hotbed of football.

Blackburn, Burnley, Preston

Accrington

Man City, Man United

Everton, Liverpool

Bolton, Wigan

Tranmere

Am I missing anyone? The Manchester clubs and Liverpool can hoover up a lot of support too.

Man Utd and Liverpool hoover up fair weather southern softy fans

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maltshoveller said:

Man Utd and Liverpool hoover up fair weather southern softy fans

To an extent but you'll definitely get Bolton, Bury Wigan residents supporting Manchester clubs.

Blackburn having just checked is 35 miles from Manchester, 40 from Liverpool. Easy easy to support and even actively support one of those.

The Sheffield clubs can and do attract from surrounding towns.

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's basically a town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by other league Clubs.

Anyone who's been there knows what a dump it is.

Their success, puts ours to shame. 

It does, but was in a completely different era. Jack Walker spent a sum to win the league that even allowing for inflation was peanuts compared with now.

Be absolutely amazed if they are a club that we will look on with envy in future.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's basically a town in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by other league Clubs.

Also I doubt you would get such a love in on their forum about Liverpool like on here which is frankly embarrassing 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

It does, but was in a completely different era. Jack Walker spent a sum to win the league that even allowing for inflation was peanuts compared with now.

Be absolutely amazed if they are a club that we will look on with envy in future.

Historically I wouldn't say they are a big club as such, however they maintained as a respectable PL Club to about the end of the 2000s until the Vwnkys came in, added momey...and disastrous decision making.

They were very well run, tight margins but well run. Allardyce may have been able to recreate some Bolton type improvement with the right backing.

Founder member of the League, even pre money history they outstrip us by a number of metrics.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Absolutely shameful that a very badly supported club like Blackburn have a much better history than ours 

They probably save for the Manchester clubs and Merseyside clubs are the biggest North West Club for one or the best history anyway.

I would be interested to see where they rank all time in that regard.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They probably save for the Manchester clubs and Merseyside clubs are the biggest North West Club for one or the best history anyway.

I would be interested to see where they rank all time in that regard.

You and I disagree on what constitutes a big club. A club that gets about 12,000 or 13,000 home fans is a small club to me.

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You and I disagree on what constitutes a big club. A club that gets about 12,000 or 13,000 home fans is a small club to me.

They've overachieved.

As for size of club, it's all subjective isn't it.  I reckon they will fall comfortably in the 2nd tier in terms of All Time English League ranking.

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/eng-premier-league/

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Agree with this. Their stadium is like a large grey and blue space ship that has crash landed in a 1950's time warp.

• Like 1

They are probably a solid Championship club from a small town surrounded by by big teams who have had 2/3 peak periods in their history .

A more successful version of my lot maybe (in that they have won stuff !!)

Much like Brighton and Brentford now Blackburn were helped by a very rich local businessman at a time when such owners could compete to win leagues rather than having to spend big to just stay up .

Unfortunately they soon went down before bouncing back well until the Venkey’s came in and sacked Big Sam.

Maybe the lack of season tickets holders is due to the pricing ?

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 2

I always have a soft spot for Blackburn since their Premier League success; Shearer and Sutton were different class and David Batty dominated every single midfield.  And damn that's crazy to think they've sold such a low volume of season tickets, considering the standard of Championship football is quite high and usually entertaining.  Are the fans making a protest against ownership or something?

Part of it could be anti Venkys stuff too, good point.

Maybe that's all faded away now but until late 2010 they were okay and Big Sam had them propped up. Just needed some money perhaps for him to build on a solid base.. 

...Instead they sacked him, appointed Steve Kean, used favoured agents and the rest was history. 

They between the passing of Jack Walker and Vemkys arriving seemed to run a fairly tight ship.