IGNORED

Blackburn Rovers away match thread

Jerseybean

10 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Persisting wirh Twine and Bird in the 10 🫠

After the Millwall game most fans thought that playing two number 10's was a good thing as we looked very good going forward one poor performance and result and typically it's all crap and the manager is clueless never changes.

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

After the Millwall game most fans thought that playing two number 10's was a good thing as we looked very good going forward one poor performance and result and typically it's all crap and the manager is clueless never changes.  but several also recognised how open it left us…and the Derby game evidenced it.  Has anyone actually said that?

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

After the Millwall game most fans thought that playing two number 10's was a good thing as we looked very good going forward one poor performance and result and typically it's all crap and the manager is clueless never changes.

The thing I'm interested in is, if Twine plays 10, who are people putting their trust in on the left? 

I think it's fair to say that it's dubious that Mehmeti should play away from home.

Is Hirakawa ready? Do we play both Pring and Roberts? 

It's not an easy decision.

• Like 1

Just now, mozo said:

The thing I'm interested in is, if Twine plays 10, who are people putting their trust in on the left? 

I think it's fair to say that it's dubious that Mehmeti should play away from home.

Should be Mehmeti or Hirakawa if it comes to that.

5 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

As my Nan use to say, empty vessels make the most sound.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

If we delve deeper into the Millwall it was great fun and the manner of win perhaps masked some tactical queries.

• Like 2

Millwall 0 Luton 1- Walsh Assist.

Oxford 1 Stoke 0- We can't be losing to them not least because Manning jumped ship and a year or so ago..

Bristol City 5 Oxford 1 (Cup)

Bristol City 4 Oxford 0 (HPC Friendly behind closed doors).

Granted the latter had a lot of chances to their side but they seem to be tough opponents so far this season.

12 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

He’s going to be playing in the number 10 role just to throw everyone of the scent! 🤣

Don’t….i fear Liam has a link to the Johnson family! Square pegs in round holes. Evander Sno was a great left winger! 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Got more chance than Twine 😆

@Davefevs what is your view on this. Chase a 10 all summer yet played them left sided. 

• Haha 1

Well he’s had another two weeks on the grass, let the football do the talking. If not, he deserves the criticism. So does Tinnion for influencing him. Don’t buy what we have and play them all out of position. Just don’t get it, even if Williams or Knight get injured I can see him going with the guy from Oxford and sticking to that three. 

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Don’t….i fear Liam has a link to the Johnson family! Square pegs in round holes. Evander Sno was a great left winger! 

@Davefevs what is your view on this. Chase a 10 all summer yet played them left sided. 

Yeah, I’d play him as 10 if he’s playing 4231…Bird competes for CM role.  And Mehmeti and Yu and Bell (once fit) play LW.

Curve ball - Roberts LB / Pring LW?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Didn’t Johnson Snr sign a defender as a striker after seeing him play one game out of position? It all went wrong for Johnson Jnr after playing Reid up front and it working after that some of his line ups were  mind boggling 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Yeah, I’d play him as 10 if he’s playing 4231…Bird competes for CM role.  And Mehmeti and Yu and Bell (once fit) play LW.

Robert’s and Pring has at times looked very dangerous on the few occasions they’ve set up like that. Both equally capable of getting forward. Was it not that set up that allowed Robert’s to score his first goal for us?

• Like 1

Mixed views on the line up. On the one hand, we looked unbalanced with Twine in the left against Derby and Sykes hasn’t stood out so far this season.

On the other hand, Bird has impressed in the number ten role and I’m not sure I would put Twine in there instead of him and I couldn’t definitively argue Mehmeti or Yu should be starting ahead of Twine or Sykes. In short l, I am not sure it is the line up I would have picked but I find it hard to say it is objectively “wrong”.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LondonBristolian said:

Mixed views on the line up. On the one hand, we looked unbalanced with Twine in the left against Derby and Sykes hasn’t stood out so far this season.

On the other hand, Bird has impressed in the number ten role and I’m not sure I would put Twine in there instead of him and I couldn’t definitively argue Mehmeti or Yu should be starting ahead of Twine or Sykes. In short l, I am not sure it is the line up I would have picked but I find it hard to say it is objectively “wrong”.

It’s not the line-up per se that’s right or wrong it’s the set-up / system, which has pros and cons.

When our attack outperforms the current defence we look good…and vice-versa.

Some people will see that as being critical, but actually it’s recognising there are pros and cons to it.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

After my above post I was thinking “what would I actually do instead?” and I landed on Roberts and Pring in the left. I think I would keep Bird at 10 and have Twine on the bench. But, as I imply above, that’s not to say I think I have it right and others have it wrong. It’s not yet clear to me what our best eleven is, with or without injuries.

(posted this before I saw your reply to me above)

Edited by LondonBristolian

12 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

Didn’t Johnson Snr sign a defender as a striker after seeing him play one game out of position? It all went wrong for Johnson Jnr after playing Reid up front and it working after that some of his line ups were  mind boggling 

Peter Styver, after he scored against Chelsea in The Champions League?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

It’s not yet clear to me what our best eleven is, with or without injuries.

The fact is we have an abundance of good players, and Earthy to return increases that problem for LM. So he is shoe horning players into the side, to get them on the pitch. I would have put Bird into Williams role and had Twine as the 10 in the middle… harsh on Williams perhaps…hey ho. Managers problem.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

After my above post I was thinking “what would I actually do instead?” and I landed on Roberts and Pring in the left. I think I would keep Bird at 10 and have Twine on the bench. But, as I imply above, that’s not to say I think I have it right and others have it wrong. It’s not yet clear to me what our best eleven is, with or without injuries.

Think part of the problem is Twine is an individual, he’s our luxury player.  And that leaves extra work for everyone else no matter who or how you play them.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

What’s dubious about playing Mehmeti away from home? As our best player in that position, I’d happily start him. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think part of the problem is Twine is an individual, he’s our luxury player.  And that leaves extra work for everyone else no matter who or how you play them.

Given how defensively minded Tanner plays, you almost want your luxury player to be playing on the right. Or in the hole. But not on the left. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

This is very true. And I think I possibly see Twine as someone you bring on to change games rather than play from the start. But we wouldn't have the spent the money we've spent if that was the plans and nor would he have joined us on that basis... 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Totally with you Dave. I’d vote for you over Manning. Tactically you are on it!! I am being serious 

Have you said who you would play?

4 minutes ago, David Brent said:

What’s dubious about playing Mehmeti away from home? As our best player in that position, I’d happily start him. 

I think there are mixed feelings on Mehmeti in the fanbase. I'm personally hoping Hirakawa can take the left spot