IGNORED

Yu Hirakawa

Mike Stone

I've been looking forward to seeing this lad play for quite a while now so im really hoping he gets a start today.

I realise it will probably be Sykes again but it would be good to see Manning shake it up a bit and surprise the opposition by playing Yu.

Ewood bound, hopefully bringing back 3pts.

2-1 City  Hirakawa with the winner.

• Like 3
  • Robin 2

10 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

I've been looking forward to seeing this lad play for quite a while now so im really hoping he gets a start today.

I realise it will probably be Sykes again but it would be good to see Manning shake it up a bit and surprise the opposition by playing Yu.

Not sure he’ll start but you never quite know. Manning is unlikely to throw a curve ball as he lack a little imagination. Like you I’d like to see him start and get an hour or so.

• Like 5
  • Hmmm 1

55 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Not sure he’ll start but you never quite know. Manning is unlikely to throw a curve ball as he lack a little imagination. Like you I’d like to see him start and get an hour or so.

I think if we start with the same old same old he really is the next Derek McInnes. Big game for Manning today. If it goes wrong again the doubters will rightly be out. 

Yu needs to start. The guy is fit, he’s played games in Japan so didn’t need a pre season. He’s also been back for 3 weeks or so since injury so come on get him in and see what he can do. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

1 hour ago, Mike Stone said:

Not a chance - Mainwaring will bring him on when we're 2-0 down - 'Dont tell them your name,Hirakawa!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Weird how you can play 7 minutes as a sub, make minimal impact (not his fault) & according to some on here, suddenly become Cristiano Ronaldo.

Look at every other Japanese player in this league, being eased into a different environment as a sub.

I really want this lad to do well but some of the hype here is just ridiculous.

Be amazed if he starts.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 2

I don’t think Manning will risk throwing him in. He is just returning from a nasty injury, playing in a new country and a division that’s completely new to him also.

We have got options now, other experienced players need to step up and let this lad bed in…

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I think if we start with the same old same old he really is the next Derek McInnes. Big game for Manning today. If it goes wrong again the doubters will rightly be out. 

Yu needs to start. The guy is fit, he’s played games in Japan so didn’t need a pre season. He’s also been back for 3 weeks or so since injury so come on get him in and see what he can do. 

🤡

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Weird how you can play 7 minutes as a sub, make minimal impact (not his fault) & according to some on here, suddenly become Cristiano Ronaldo.

Look at every other Japanese player in this league, being eased into a different environment as a sub.

I really want this lad to do well but some of the hype here is just ridiculous.

Be amazed if he starts.

Agree.

Those 7 minutes were in a game we had pretty much lost and was just a throw of the dice. 

Funny enough, at least for my money , I think when he starts it could be down the left. Sykes , while not being at his best so far , is much more a team player and our right side has looked stronger. I would be seriously tempted to start Yu over Mehmeti if Twine moves central. It all comes down to how Manning fits everyone in. Bird has been good, Williams is important but Knight hasn't hit the heights of last year yet. TBF a lot of his work goes un noticed . With Knight having played for Ireland I wonder if Manning takes the chance to rest him , go Bird / Williams in MF and move Twine to the 10 role he cam here to play. Then there is a slot on the left to fill and you can have the conversation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Agree.

Those 7 minutes were in a game we had pretty much lost and was just a throw of the dice.  

Funny enough, at least for my money , I think when he starts it could be down the left. Sykes , while not being at his best so far , is much more a team player and our right side has looked stronger. I would be seriously tempted to start Yu over Mehmeti if Twine moves central. It all comes down to how Manning fits everyone in. Bird has been good, Williams is important but Knight hasn't hit the heights of last year yet. TBF a lot of his work goes un noticed . With Knight having played for Ireland I wonder if Manning takes the chance to rest him , go Bird / Williams in MF and move Twine to the 10 role he cam here to play. Then there is a slot on the left to fill and you can have the conversation.

He played on the left in Japan didn't he? 

I'm still in the camp that thinks Mehmeti is pretty useful for the team despite frustrating with final product sometimes (see also: Sinclair Armstrong), and I get the feeling Hirakawa's attributes might be better suited to an impact sub role for now. Possibly not fast enough or strong enough for the start of the game, but against tired legs his footballing intelligence and freshness could be a real handful.

1 hour ago, kidjupiter said:

He played on the left in Japan didn't he? 

I'm still in the camp that thinks Mehmeti is pretty useful for the team despite frustrating with final product sometimes (see also: Sinclair Armstrong), and I get the feeling Hirakawa's attributes might be better suited to an impact sub role for now. Possibly not fast enough or strong enough for the start of the game, but against tired legs his footballing intelligence and freshness could be a real handful.

He can play on the left but he's right footed. The only times I've seen him he has started on the right for Japan U23s.

I think he's been bought in to primarily compete with Sykes, but he could quite easily get some time on the left today.

Just now, The dastardly red said:

Liam saying Yu doesn't understand what he says to him.. Long may it continue

I don’t think many understand what Manning is on about much of the time………:dunno:

It’s an obvious blessing for Hiriwaka……….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

Looks forward AND passes forward. Can drop a shoulder and take his man on on his right or on his left. Instrumental in both goals. 

The type of player who makes you fall in love with the game. 

He has a strange stance when he takes his man on doesn't he? He's right footed obviously but takes his man on with the ball on his left foot, must be jarring for the defender he's taking on. 

The drop of the shoulder past the midfielder at close distance to set up Knight down the side for our equaliser was great and the run inside with the left foot pass into Roberts for the pen was refreshing.

If he sees the pass he goes for it, we need more of that.

If he insists on having Twine off that left side then we're gunna need to get Earthy in for that position off the striker, Bird and Knight don't fit it naturally. Mehmeti can be an option but I don't want him starting, wastes so many chances.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, redkev said:

A lot of these little Japanese fellas making an impact on the efl at the mo 

There aren't alot....

Currently 5 in the Championship & 3 in the Premier league.

It's a relatively untapped market.

Yu was fantastic today! Strong as an Ox, despite his physique, quick feet, direct & good delivery.

Excited to see more of him as the season goes on. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

There aren't alot....

Currently 5 in the Championship & 3 in the Premier league.

It's a relatively untapped market.

Yu was fantastic today! Strong as an Ox, despite his physique, quick feet, direct & good delivery.

Excited to see more of him as the season goes on. 

Is that all? I'm sure whenever I watch a game there's a Japanese player in the team 🤣

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Fpcity said:

Is that all? I'm sure whenever I watch a game there's a Japanese player in the team 🤣

I think you maybe saying that all South Asian people look the same.....!

That seems to be the extent of the Japanese playes in the top 2 English divisions, but doesn't include any South Koreans, Chinese etc...

It does seem like most teams have a player from that part of the world now & they always seem to be very good.

I was sure that we'd have managed to sign the exceptional dud of the batch - but based on today's excellent performance, we may have just found our own little gem.! 🤞

19 minutes ago, Big C said:

Pedant alert. It wasn't his debut 😉😀

Home debut.

20 minutes ago, Gimme Shelton said:

Perhaps you weren't at Derby where he played the last 10/12 minutes?

No perhaps about it, I wasn’t.

I meant home debut.

1 hour ago, sticks 1969 said:

At the end of the game when he came over a city player ( not sure who ) seemed to whisper in his ear that we weren’t booing him but cheering him on as only city could do which I thought was a nice touch 

Yep saw that, he smiled afterwards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think you maybe saying that all South Asian people look the same.....!

That seems to be the extent of the Japanese playes in the top 2 English divisions, but doesn't include any South Koreans, Chinese etc...

It does seem like most teams have a player from that part of the world now & they always seem to be very good.

I was sure that we'd have managed to sign the exceptional dud of the batch - but based on today's excellent performance, we may have just found our own little gem.! 🤞

Not at all. Sky displays the players nation flag and I know what the Japan flag looks like! And I know there's hardly any Korean and Chinese players here. 

1 minute ago, Fpcity said:

Not at all. Sky displays the players nation flag and I know what the Japan flag looks like! And I know there's hardly any Korean and Chinese players here. 

Than maybe you are just watching games involving the same 3 teams every week.!

Or, possibly, my 10 second Google search isn't reliable..! 

1 hour ago, Homer Simpson said:

I'm getting his name (YOU) tattooed on my backside,  and I'm  supplying the O.

I (y)usually like to look at interesting Tattoos but I'll give yours a miss if that's ok.

• Haha 1

He had a great variety in the balls he played, and there was real intention in them. He played to hit a specific area we were attacking, or unexpectedly picked a man out directly a couple of times with more of a pass than a cross. Short balls, a chip to the near post, a direct pass to feet on the edge of the box, and a floated one to the back post.

Really mixing it up and much harder to defend against than our standard smash it across the box randomly as hard as possible.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

Now hear me tell you
I just want to be beside you everywhere
As long as we're together, honey, I don't care
'Cause you've started something
Oh, can't you see?
That ever since we met
You've had a hold on me
No matter what you do
I only want to be with you
I said no matter, no matter what you do
I only I only I only I only I only want to be with Yu!

6 minutes ago, David Brent said:

What I like is that he can do it with both feet. Defender doesn’t know what he’s going to do. 

First thing I said to guy who sits next to me is “he’s taken on Leigh on the outside first attempt, he’s now bought himself the option to go inside next time”.  Any player who can go either way is always gonna leave their fullback wondering.  A real weapon to have in your locker.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1