IGNORED

Sack Manning, it’s not working and we are in free fall

Shauntaylor85

When you look at Stoke away at the end of last season, Derby away this season and now Blackburn today - during which time he’s had plenty of “time on the grass” and significant cash to spend - the manner of those defeats makes it very hard to defend him. There have not been enough good performances to counterbalance those. 

Edited by tin
  • Like 13
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How about we don't hire someone learning their trade. Do you get an apprentice bricklayer in to build a house? Find a craftsman with experience and pay them properly. 

Amazing words of wisdom!!

Why hasn’t anyone else thought of that?

Good luck persuading the Lansdowns to change their lifelong policy towards appointing managers to this club then!

Edited by bcfcredandwhite
Add words
  • Like 1

I was excited by LM’s appointment & there’s been periods where he got us playing some real nice football.

But….. right now he really is floundering & so early in the season - body language suggests he might be feeling the pressure too.

This could go horribly wrong for him, very quickly.

I hope he pulls his head out of his ass & starts reacting to the performances.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How about we don't hire someone learning their trade. Do you get an apprentice bricklayer in to build a house? Find a craftsman with experience and pay them properly. 

I dont mind hiring someone learning their trade, I do that alot, the secret is to pair them up or have someone sat above who is experienced and can train, motivate and guide them,

We have an ass licker/back stabber and Jr above manning,

If he isn't gone by Xmas then relegation is on the cards

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above. I am sorry but I’ve seen enough. He needs to go and Tinnion can jump in the cab with him. That was awful! In fact, I agree with South Bristol Rob, worse than PNE away under LJ! Our summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain as his in game management is non existent. I cannot believe we started how we did today after having two weeks to review the errors from Derby. We are shipping goals for fun and other end look so disjointed. What on earth is going on?! He may regret not staying at Oxford although if he had many of their fans feel they would have bottled it. Time for change all over to be frank! It’s getting tedious. 

We still have the Lansdowns thats the problem.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 5
  • Robin 1

They (the Landowns) dont care about us getting to the prem or even challenging for it, they do care about selling ST`s and thats already done, so nothing will happen till its time to sell them again; staying in this div and hoping for 3 worse teams than us is all they want.

Are not the manager and many newbie players on long contracts anyway, so the boss will go with it till xmas at least and then only act if we are rooted to the bottom.

Tinman will have himself sorted and has his feet well under the Lansdowns table so he is here as long as they are....trust me on Tinnion

Feel for the fans who follow us all over, in hope that things will change, sorry they wont.

not until new owners move in.

Edited by temp
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

The championship certainly sorts out boys from men - managers who seem to do be doing well in league 1 but can’t cut it in championship are then in fear of losing job as who wants a manager in league 1 if he can’t cut it in championship and that’s same with players if you ain’t good enough for championship who in the top half of league 1 wants a failure in championship the player is in danger of falling to league 2 and we have this at the club NO BALLS ,NO COMMITMENT 

I'm now at the stage where I would get rid personally.

There were a few positive signs at times last season we were making progress but ultimately its one step forward and two back. 

We know its not all on Manning and I hope he has a good career, but it's not going to be here. Wrong decision from us and from him and one that needs to be rectified for all parties. There's only one direction we are leaving this division  with this structure and its not up.

I don't know who I'd bring in but just be nice to see some emotion and in game tactical nous. 

25 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above. I am sorry but I’ve seen enough. He needs to go and Tinnion can jump in the cab with him. That was awful! In fact, I agree with South Bristol Rob, worse than PNE away under LJ! Our summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain as his in game management is non existent. I cannot believe we started how we did today after having two weeks to review the errors from Derby. We are shipping goals for fun and other end look so disjointed. What on earth is going on?! He may regret not staying at Oxford although if he had many of their fans feel they would have bottled it. Time for change all over to be frank! It’s getting tedious. 

It could very well happen next week if we loose against Oxford. They will be gagging to show LM what they can do and will be well up for it, I really can't see him making any tactical changes that will make any difference to the way he plays, as mentioned on here many times, he doesn't seem to have any plan B, C  or Z.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Topper 123 said:

The championship certainly sorts out boys from men - managers who seem to do be doing well in league 1 but can’t cut it in championship are then in fear of losing job as who wants a manager in league 1 if he can’t cut it in championship and that’s same with players if you ain’t good enough for championship who in the top half of league 1 wants a failure in championship the player is in danger of falling to league 2 and we have this at the club NO BALLS ,NO COMMITMENT 

How about Oxford.

9 points, 5 games.. the guy who replaced Manning although it's a long season.

27 minutes ago, tin said:

When you look at Stoke away at the end of last season, Derby away this season and now Blackburn today - during which time he’s had plenty of “time on the grass” and significant cash to spend - the manner of those defeats makes it very hard to defend him. There have not been enough good performances to counterbalance those. 

Including Stoke last 4 away games 10 conceded nil scored - 

20 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Depends on attendances. Sub 20k for two or three in a row will cause someone to take notice.

The official attendances are often misleading. There are 13k plus season ticket holders, plus sometimes 2-3k away fans, plus sometimes cheap offers such as mates rates. This gives a reasonable looking attendance. The key is how many season ticket holders actually turn up and how many other City fans pay full price? A good analysis of attendances by the club might make someone take notice, but I’m not holding my breath 

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ve said before that I’d have sacked him in March. 
But after keeping him and spending over £10m there’s no way the board sack him after 5 games. Unfortunately 

Indeed Harry. Even if we continue to slide I think they will stick with him all season. 

Only significant fan backlash could change that, although it’s quite telling no one is defending him here tonight. 

I would still like to give him ten games but it’s a hard stance to maintain. 

Edited by One Team

Mannings RB interview concerned me. He sounded quite upbeat for someone who's just overseen a 3 nil defeat. 

I think that's because as long as they have a good week in training then he considers the Saturday to be largely irrelevant because ultimately he sees himself as a coach. 

The problem with Manning is that his approach if plan a isn't working is to just try and do plan a better. He has little in game tactical nous. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, One Team said:

Indeed Harry. Even if we continue to slide I think they will stick with him all season. 

Only significant fan backlash could change that, although it’s quite telling no one is defending him here tonight. 

I’m prepared to see him stay until it is mathematically impossible to make the playoffs. 
At that point, it’s a joint failure. 
A failure of overall strategy (Jon), a failure of managerial recruitment and implementation of strategy (Brian), a failure of player recruitment (Sean) and a failure of coaching (Liam). 

At that point I’d like to see them all leave. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 4

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m prepared to see him stay until it is mathematically impossible to make the playoffs. 
At that point, it’s a joint failure. 
A failure of overall strategy (Jon), a failure of managerial recruitment and implementation of strategy (Brian), a failure of player recruitment (Sean) and a failure of coaching (Liam). 

At that point I’d like to see them all leave. 

Post of the season in September!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

What's the point. We would still have the three inept weirdo's above him

34 minutes ago, Ecko said:

This is on Tinnion and Lansdown

Nothing will change with these two. 

Backed the wrong manager again. Reoccurring theme for city

May aswell copy this from the match thread.

30 minutes ago, Shockwave said:

Lee Johnson Mark 2

Comes out with all the technical jargon but out of his depth 

Will he go NO

Afraid got to put up with him

That covers it. 

My own opinion is he gets 15 games unless we lose all the next three. 

Ten games is really the minimum you give him. But all the front foot shit we’ve been fed to revert to keep ball/lose ball is infuriating. 

He may get us going, but I’m betting he won’t and the usual subjects will blame his failure on this forum and the ‘usual’ under current!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Depends on attendances. Sub 20k for two or three in a row will cause someone to take notice.

We only had about 15000 in the ground for Millwall but the accounts said 21000. The moneys in the bank already so the club won't care.  Too many City fans accept mediocrity as the norm. I think it's inbred.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, One Team said:

I genuinely don’t think Manning is going to get give anywhere the same slack that some of his predecessors enjoyed (by our fans that is) 

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ve said before that I’d have sacked him in March. 
But after keeping him and spending over £10m there’s no way the board sack him after 5 games. Unfortunately 

Brian’s in the background. How long until ‘Why aye Jon, sack Liam and I’ll caretaker until we find a manager. I was involved in recruiting all these players, best for me to manager them. Promise I’ll look really hard for a permanent for you man’ 

If that’s his plan he should probably get in before it gets really toxic 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, marmite said:

We only had about 15000 in the ground for Millwall but the accounts said 21000. The moneys in the bank already so the club won't care.  Too many City fans accept mediocrity as the norm. I think it's inbred.

In fairness, that's the norm. More often than not a gap of a few to several thousand between attendees and tickets sold.

Ratio probably similar at most grounds.

4 minutes ago, marmite said:

I don’t think it’s the money, I think it’s the fear of the cost of relegation. Most boards will know that if there’s negativity among the crowd that generally comes out on the pitch.

If the fans are staying away, or if the atmosphere is toxic, changing the manager is like a lifeline to appease the fans to start to focus on ‘supporting’ again.

13 minutes ago, Whitchurch said:

Yeah it’s not looking good 

3k+ Oxford coming on their big day out

will be tasty on and off the pitch next Saturday 

They usually clash with the gas off the pitch , like you say after Swindon think Bristol is there big day out, can see them causing problems through Bemmy 

52 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We all know where the problem lies. Manning got his man , Twine , but the other signings are pretty much on the cheap and are huge gambles all at once for the club.

But look where he plays Twine! We seem to have gone overboard and signed to many players vying  for the same position, now looks as if trying to shoehorn them into the side somehow 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I get the sentiment after 2 back to back 3-0 defeats, but which young coach from the lower leagues still learning his trade do you trust the board to replace him with?

1 hour ago, tin said:

Even Ian Gay is turning! 

fc80d9f6-64ae-42d9-9658-838ec4401586.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I don’t think it’s the money, I think it’s the fear of the cost of relegation. Most boards will know that if there’s negativity among the crowd that generally comes out on the pitch.

If the fans are staying away, or if the atmosphere is toxic, changing the manager is like a lifeline to appease the fans to start to focus on ‘supporting’ again.

Totally agree. A toxic atmosphere in the stands isn’t likely to make the players feel more positive, which in turn impacts results 

I am for giving him more time. Remember the baying crowd at the Emirates foaming at the mouth to get rid of Arteta? It’s happened so many times. I remember the crowd chanting for Alan Dicks to be sacked before the ‘76 promotion. Manning doesn’t  deserve the personal insults. He is a human being after all. He will turn it around.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Facepalm 3

The trouble starts at the very top of the club.

Its just history repeating itself. Another young coach, another business model - another failure.

The realists amongst the fanbase knew how this was going to pan out, the optimists are either still in denial or a bit dim.

In todays football, you cant have 40 games to 'build a squad' and implement your tactics. We are a selling club, so our best players are gone pretty much every transfer window - the head coach had to have instant impact. Manning has achieved a few good wins, but largely been an underwhelming disappointment.

It wont get any better, irs clear as day the players look lost and zero motivation.

Can anyone really blame Tommy Conway for not signing a new deal and sticking around for this sh*t?

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

I share the concerns of many on here about where we are headed but there is absolutely no way our ‘board’, such as it is, will get rid of Manning any time soon. They have backed him more than I ever thought they would in the transfer market and, given that most of the signings have worked with him before, they are very much Manning’s signings.  We will have to be absolutely sinking without trace for them to even think about replacing him.

And, for what it’s worth, I think it would be a very sudden and harsh reaction to get rid of him this quickly. Let’s get to 10 games and see where we are. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, marmite said:

Yay.. Let's go for it next season, or some such mediocre bollocks. Jeez, this club frustrates the hell out of me.

They dont have the bottle.

Its liams team now - Spent circa 1m on Bird, 2 on Armstrong, 3.2 on Twine (to play him out of position), 2.5 on Mayulu, 1.7 on McNally, circa 300k on McGuane, no idea on cost for Yu but imagine its below 1m. Around 11m with addons and have a fantastic 11 goals conceded in the last 4 away games to show for it, and a mind blowing 1 goal scored to show for it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

I am for giving him more time. Remember the baying crowd at the Emirates foaming at the mouth to get rid of Arteta? It’s happened so many times. I remember the crowd chanting for Alan Dicks to be sacked before the ‘76 promotion. Manning doesn’t  deserve the personal insults. He is a human being after all. He will turn it around.

Tbf I think some folk are sick and tired of being patient. Arsenal have had more good times than bad. All we get is bad 

• Like 4