IGNORED

Sack Manning, it’s not working and we are in free fall

Shauntaylor85

5 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

I am for giving him more time. Remember the baying crowd at the Emirates foaming at the mouth to get rid of Arteta? It’s happened so many times. I remember the crowd chanting for Alan Dicks to be sacked before the ‘76 promotion. Manning doesn’t  deserve the personal insults. He is a human being after all. He will turn it around.

Agree on the personal insults, not sure about the rest of your post!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sludge said:

Tbf I think some folk are sick and tired of being patient. Arsenal have had more good times than bad. All we get is bad 

Here’s a talking point for you: In League 1 there are currently four teams who have been in the top flight since the city’s last season. Small mercies….

43 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Mannings RB interview concerned me. He sounded quite upbeat for someone who's just overseen a 3 nil defeat. 

I think that's because as long as they have a good week in training then he considers the Saturday to be largely irrelevant because ultimately he sees himself as a coach. 

The problem with Manning is that his approach if plan a isn't working is to just try and do plan a better. He has little in game tactical nous. 

I didn’t like (paraphrased) - it was a mental / psychological problem today, not tactical.  Basically it’s the players not him.  I don’t expect him to call himself out, but it’s not very smart. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Here’s a talking point for you: In League 1 there are currently four teams who have been in the top flight since the city’s last season. Small mercies….

Also a fair few teams currently in the premier league who have been in league one more recently than us 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How about we don't hire someone learning their trade. Do you get an apprentice bricklayer in to build a house? Find a craftsman with experience and pay them properly. 

We had one of them didn’t we . Like we did with cotts. The lansdowns don’t like experienced managers telling them how to run THEIR  club . His legacy will be, the  best ground in league one . Utter shambles . It’ll be , relegation trouble at Christmas , panic get an experienced head to save us .  Get to mid table . Rinse & repeat . 
I had enough of the Lansdown a few years ago . The club desperately needs new direction 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 13

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t like (paraphrased) - it was a mental / psychological problem today, not tactical.  Basically it’s the players not him.  I don’t expect him to call himself out, but it’s not very smart. 

He’s arrogant. Never takes responsibility. Those players are good enough not to be thrashed at Derby and Blackburn! It’s all down to his lack of leadership and tactical sense. Shocking head coach. I’d sooner have Johnson! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jefferz said:

Or how about this talking point, if this form carries on we'll be playing those 4 teams. This is not just this season, we were decidedly average at best at the tail end of last season too.

Time to get rid clearly not everything that comes out of the City Group is covered in gold. LM might be great at coaching kids, but he's not up to managing a Championship team. Get rid now before the rot really sets in.

• Like 2

Interesting fact (and it is a fact) that a number of those lads “performing” today were allowed to take “holiday” smashing golf balls around and other such things during the international break. I seem to recall a couple of people getting very upset over potential de-conditioning around 12 months ago. Surely our hierarchy don’t adopt double standards 😂😂😂

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 4

This is an extension of last season. He claimed then he needed time on the training ground and his own players. He has had both, and the results are a notable decrease in performance. The more time he has, the worse we get. It is blatantly obvious he is not the right person for the job. 

The real issue is all of the others involved in this debacle. 

Until the owner either sells or hands the club over to be run by competent people, this cycle will repeat. 

IMHO you need to get rid of JL, LM, BT and SG . None of those 4 should be involved in the club. None of them have the right skill set, experience or vision to take the club to anything like the next level. As it is, we look destined for L1. 

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, RollsRoyce said:

This is an extension of last season. He claimed then he needed time on the training ground and his own players. He has had both, and the results are a notable decrease in performance. The more time he has, the worse we get. It is blatantly obvious he is not the right person for the job. 

The real issue is all of the others involved in this debacle. 

Until the owner either sells or hands the club over to be run by competent people, this cycle will repeat. 

IMHO you need to get rid of JL, LM, BT and SG . None of those 4 should be involved in the club. None of them have the right skill set, experience or vision to take the club to anything like the next level. As it is, we look destined for L1. 

Well said.

I’m sick to the back teeth of fans defending SL and talking about the money he’s put into the club, when he hasn’t gotten a single thing right when it comes to on-field matters. It’s past time for him to jog on.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’m prepared to see him stay until it is mathematically impossible to make the playoffs. 
At that point, it’s a joint failure. 
A failure of overall strategy (Jon), a failure of managerial recruitment and implementation of strategy (Brian), a failure of player recruitment (Sean) and a failure of coaching (Liam). 

At that point I’d like to see them all leave. 

Jon is a fraud.

Tinnion is an academy manager.

Manning is a con artist.

I’d get rid of them all. Today.

But of course. It won’t happen. Jon is Steve’s little boy. Brian is Jon’s lapdog. Manning is their project.

So as we tumble toward league 1 as I predicted. When do they pull the trigger - with a multi-million pound bill to pay.

Shambolic.

I swear that BCFC is just a little tax dodge for Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

His starting X1 and subs/time of just totally baffle me. I get he sees the players he has training in front of him and is obviously working to a system that utilises them....so why are the basics of our game so bad. Passing and throws have been terrible for most games,almost Sunday league stuff. It does my head in that we seem so totally inept at the basics. We need a leader on the pitch as well because JK has been poor as a skipper....we just don't possess a born leader.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness, that's the norm. More often than not a gap of a few to several thousand between attendees and tickets sold.

Ratio probably similar at most grounds.

I know there's always a difference Mr. P but I thought it was really noticeable last game.  12.30 ko didn't help. 

These ko times plus dire football will make it even more noticeable soon.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I see matty Taylor took responsibility for the blue few loss today. Obviously same cant be said for our leader.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CyderHead92 said:

I see matty Taylor took responsibility for the blue few loss today. Obviously same cant be said for our leader.

Did he?  I didn’t listen to his, was too disappointed with ours without trying to get solace from a gas defeat.

Have faith , we have spent soooo much money that top 6 is certain, we have a younger manager who will take us to the premiership and we have signed all his ex players who he trusts to guide us there, Twine is an absolute steal ! 

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think that’s what he’s done though - called himself out. 

His job isn’t just tactics; it’s motivate, instil confidence and build a team. He’s trying to sound like it’s not his fault whilst saying ‘I did half my job, what more do you want?’ 

• Like 1

I said at the start of the season that for me it was a clean slate for me with Manning although Sceptical from what we witnessed from last season, a pre season and backed with his players.

Same as my fears for last season, plan A that doesn't work, does not have the ability to read a game and change it, no in game management at all.

Players look confused, shoe horning players into his 'PlanA' nobody fighting for the shirt, club or fans.

Ive had enough already but absolutely no confidence in the management structure above him, its a mess that will implode if we are not carefull.

• Like 3

They won’t sack him until they have no other choice. He’s a Johnson, not a Pearson in there eyes. They like this one.

I wouldn’t be sacking him yet. God knows who they’d bring in. And he’s showed moments of making us a bloody good team. But he needs results, and he needs them very soon. I’m being patient, understandably many aren’t.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, DaveInSA said:

Jon is a fraud.

Tinnion is an academy manager.

Manning is a con artist.

I’d get rid of them all. Today.

But of course. It won’t happen. Jon is Steve’s little boy. Brian is Jon’s lapdog. Manning is their project.

So as we tumble toward league 1 as I predicted. When do they pull the trigger - with a multi-million pound bill to pay.

Shambolic.

I swear that BCFC is just a little tax dodge for Steve.

Your'e quite right, I have been thinking that for years, that and his new Golf course on his little tax haven island.

• Thanks 1

Obviously, losing 3-0 in consecutive games is unacceptable, and the focus has to be on the gaffer when that happens.

The reluctance to drop Williams and to play Twine in the 10 has been really odd. I think it is because he's worried that he'll lose some combative energy in midfield, but Williams hasn't justified the pick. 

The other reason, could be that we just don't have a quality left-sided option. Mehmeti hasn't improved his final ball and it's costly that attacks end up fizzling out on that side.

Regardless, Manning has the job of picking the right players and I don't think he has. Mayulu was an error today, for sure.

He's got to get it right for the Oxford game, because winning that makes a huge difference to the momentum of the early season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I get the feeling the players aren't buying into his ideas, and that's why they are mentally weak in his eyes.

If you don't believe in the system, the players in certain positions, then it's not going to work. 

He's implied this before, when he said they have to be patient and believe in it. 

Think it was the game where we went feral in the second half and he said we didn't do what they had trained to do. 

Manning's out of his depth, got one strategy that doesn't work, and the players imo, know it.  

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Your'e quite right, I have been thinking that for years, that and his new Golf course on his little tax haven island.

Not especially tbh.

He may be able to offset relatively small amounts (to him) but he is probably still well in deficit.

Now whether he intends to be in respect of Selling Up, different issue but until such time as a Gain is Realised, it remains Unrealised.

Ah apologies missed the 2nd bit. Maybe but feels pretty far fetched short to medium term IMO.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 minute ago, spudski said:

I get the feeling the players aren't buying into his ideas, and that's why they are mentally weak in his eyes.

If you don't believe in the system, the players in certain positions, then it's not going to work. 

He's implied this before, when he said they have to be patient and believe in it. 

Think it was the game where we went feral in the second half and he said we didn't do what they had trained to do. 

Manning's out of his depth, got one strategy that doesn't work, and the players imo, know it.  

And we’ve lost a number of model pros / standards setters over the summer.

Penny for the thoughts of Naismith (dropped for today) and Wells who didn’t get on today.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

Interesting fact (and it is a fact) that a number of those lads “performing” today were allowed to take “holiday” smashing golf balls around and other such things during the international break. I seem to recall a couple of people getting very upset over potential de-conditioning around 12 months ago. Surely our hierarchy don’t adopt double standards 😂😂😂

Really !! ******* hypocrites . But we all knew it was excuses . This is what really still ******* irritates me about those pricks. Lies , the bullshitting which equates to how arrogant they are & how they’d thought we’d just swallow their excuses . I don’t think for a minute they expected the backlash from Pearson’s sacking that they got . So they lied . I detest them 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

Penny for the thoughts of Naismith (dropped for today) and Wells who didn’t get on today.

Frankly I doubt they really care as long as their monthly pay cheque arrives on time.  Long gone are the days when actually playing had some kind of financial benefit to the player.  Cynical I know !!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think he has issues with older experienced pros. 

He knows he is very young and highly inexperienced in this league. 

He may have a coaching mind, but he doesn't have the knowledge and experience of how to manage 'in game' situations in this league. 

It's very obvious to see imo.

It's a lot easier to deal with players a lot younger than yourself, than with players who have been there and done it, so to speak. 

He's 39, out of his depth at this level and so inexperienced. 

He also has the body language of a wet weekend. 

He doesn't instill any confidence whatsoever ever. Either physically, vocally or mentally. 

He looks like a kitten on the sidelines. 

It's embarrassing tbh. 

• Like 19

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

How about we don't hire someone learning their trade. Do you get an apprentice bricklayer in to build a house? Find a craftsman with experience and pay them properly. 

Number one, it would cost too much money. We would have to pay of Manning, only a year since we paid off Pearson (just shy of a million). We will probably be told every last £ has gone on building the team Manning wanted.

Number 2, who would we attract? I've seen it many times that anyone who would be suitable wouldn't want to work with the set up and personnel we have.

I totally understand and support your point, but this is how we do things here and it's not going to change.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Really !! ******* hypocrites . But we all knew it was excuses . This is what really still ******* irritates me about those pricks. Lies , the bullshitting which equates to how arrogant they are & how they’d thought we’d just swallow their excuses . I don’t think for a minute they expected the backlash from Pearson’s sacking that they got . So they lied . I detest them 

i dont know how anyone can believe anything they say anymore, if any sort of positive spin comes out about anything, i automatically just think 'more bullshit' 'wont work' or 'piss off'. totally lost any belief i had that this club could one day be successful, we made a lot of progress over the last three years ,now our aim seems to be get back to square one asap

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I think he has issues with older experienced pros. 

He knows he is very young and highly inexperienced in this league. 

He may have a coaching mind, but he doesn't have the knowledge and experience of how to manage 'in game' situations in this league. 

It's very obvious to see imo.

It's a lot easier to deal with players a lot younger than yourself, than with players who have been there and done it, so to speak. 

He's 39, out of his depth at this level and so inexperienced. 

He also has the body language of a wet weekend. 

He doesn't instill any confidence whatsoever ever. Either physically, vocally or mentally. 

He looks like a kitten on the sidelines. 

It's embarrassing tbh. 

And players that he has brought to the club will almost certainly have a different relationship with him.

It is hard to warm to him from his touchline and interview behaviour. It doesn't look like he cares, so why should the players? And ultimately, why should I?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jefferz said:

I am for giving him more time. Remember the baying crowd at the Emirates foaming at the mouth to get rid of Arteta? It’s happened so many times. I remember the crowd chanting for Alan Dicks to be sacked before the ‘76 promotion. Manning doesn’t  deserve the personal insults. He is a human being after all. He will turn it around.

No tangible signs of him turning it around. The more time he spends with the players, the worse it gets. The more players he has to select from, the worse it gets. Two classic signs of a manager on his way out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

And players that he has brought to the club will almost certainly have a different relationship with him.

It is hard to warm to him from his touchline and interview behaviour. It doesn't look like he cares, so why should the players? And ultimately, why should I?

Totally. I really can't warm to him as a coach. 

Some people have it...others don't. 

He comes across very similar to Jon Lansdown imo. 

You can listen all day long, but neither inspire confidence, belief, and both come across as ' I can't believe I'm in this position, I'm so out of my depth'. 

Look away, gulp, don't make eye contact, mutter, no conviction etc etc

• Like 3

LManning needs 14 points from the next 9 games (probably 15 if you include goal difference) to match a record that got Pearson sacked with a decimated squad and next to no summer spending.

As much as I'd like to be proved wrong, I can't see us getting that.

I used to have a bit of a wry smile when people used to slate lonsdown as the problem until a few years ago but they could see something that I couldn't. We're stuck whatever happens.

Manning never should never have been appointed, should have gone by easter last year, should go now.

• Like 2

Johnson and Pearson were better managers than this fool. He will never say a bad word against them.

The board are at fault and have been since Steve Coppell was appointed, since then it’s been balls up after balls up including getting rid of blokes actually doing a good job instead of supporting them with the funds then given to their replacements. Truth is like everyone knows, they weren’t yes men. Coppell, Cotterill and Pearson were forced out because they didn’t conform. This club is rotten to the core and until we get rid of the maggots eating it alive we’re doomed to fail. While the current owners deserve credit for bankrolling us and building AG they also deserve to be lambasted for wasting huge amounts of the money invested on poor decisions and recruitment 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

42 minutes ago, RedM said:

Number 2, who would we attract? I've seen it many times that anyone who would be suitable wouldn't want to work with the set up and personnel we have.

I totally understand and support your point, but this is how we do things here and it's not going to change.

Did I read on here or somewhere else that we went after Eustace and he turned us down flat?

Nobody with any ambition would work with our senior management structure..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, M.D said:

Did I read on here or somewhere else that we went after Eustace and he turned us down flat?

Nobody with any ambition would work with our senior management structure..

It’s obviously well known in football circles what our owners are like to work for and what is expected of them. It’s no surprise people run a mile 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

Things will have to get very bad and very toxic before those in charge get rid of Captain Mainwaring.

To do so would represent them admitting that they got in wrong, not one, but twice, firstly in getting rid of Pearson, but secondly in choosing to replace him with Mainwaring.

The only ability JL and BT have is forged in their own heads, and is based on them convincing each other that they know best, and everyone else is wrong. Sacking Mainwaring would be to undo all of this, and kill the fantasy, which would be disastrous, particularly for JL. 

1 minute ago, Rule The Waves said:

Things will have to get very bad and very toxic before those in charge get rid of Captain Mainwaring.

To do so would represent them admitting that they got in wrong, not one, but twice, firstly in getting rid of Pearson, but secondly in choosing to replace him with Mainwaring.

The only ability JL and BT have is forged in their own heads, and is based on them convincing each other that they know best, and everyone else is wrong. Sacking Mainwaring would be to undo all of this, and kill the fantasy, which would be disastrous, particularly for JL. 

They are never wrong, that is the problem and has been since Steve Coppell. It will never ever change 

1 minute ago, Rule The Waves said:

Yep, think they’ve got a pact to back each other.

1 minute ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Yet again all roads lead to the Lansdowns!! Sack the best manager we’ve had in years because he stood up to them……back to another shambles!……rinse and repeat! 

They have money but no clue about football, it’s just a business to them

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think it’s more of a gold plated train set to them.

They don’t even care about the real fans, those that have been there through thick and thin. All they care about is the amount of fools they can get through the doors

• Like 1

I’m on holiday in Oz so tired last evening that I didn’t stay up to follow it live. My wife said “You’ll lose 4-0” so for one who knows sod all about football perhaps she ought to take over from Manning.

IMO keep him here another two months and we’ll be dead and buried and back down with the Horfield unmentionables.

Threads today about apathy, sacking Manning, improvements post NP, Oxford being LM’s Waterloo and so on are all largely covering similar points and, I believe, are borne out of fans utter frustrations and anger about what’s happened/currently happening at our Club.

Post-match LMs interview made three references to getting back to basics, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-reacts-to-blackburn-defeat/

Although I understand the logic of this (given we have yet again failed to do the basics e.g. pass forward, pass to our players, move and find space/options, take decent set pieces/throw ins, etc) it is astonishing to think that having inherited a team who were (falsely imo) claimed by our hierarchy to be a top six squad and capable of playing front foot football and being able to strengthen the squad with incomings and had almost a year coaching his squad he talks about the importance of the basics!

I’m not going to add to the extensive narrative re his inexperience, poor in game management, robotic substitutions, playing style, obsessional traits, team set up , vanilla personality, etc.

Nor am I going to reopen the extensive debate about the sacking of his predecessor.

I’m not even entering into the topic of the limitations, skills, judgement and group-think of our hierarchy.

What I do have to say is that our:

• performances and results so far this season have been alarmingly poor, albeit we have managed to win one game (thanks to two late goals)
  • defence (having previously been impressive) is weak
  • creativity remains a huge issue
  • goal scoring opportunities and goals for also continue to be an issue
  • decision making is poor

As Head Coach LM is responsible for these failings and along with many others I am not enjoying watching City under Manning.

I’m starting to fear a long-season, a lower league position than last season and potentially a relegation threat.

Having recruited and backed him our hierarchy will, I anticipate, stick by him for the time being. If, however, we are in the same predicament (just one win and playing so badly) by the next International break even they may accept he needs to go.

Posting this gives me no pleasure as all I want is success for my Club. Right now sadly that’s merely a fantasy.

I hope things improve, although I’m not optimistic, if we get to the next International break and we still have the status quo it’s time for LM to go imo.

• Like 10
  • Flames 2

4 hours ago, sludge said:

Totally agree. A toxic atmosphere in the stands isn’t likely to make the players feel more positive, which in turn impacts results 

Already started today, wasn’t toxic as such but booing, ironic jeering of passes in the first half as well. I do wonder if Yu knows we’re saying his name and not just booing him 🤣

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

He’s arrogant. Never takes responsibility. Those players are good enough not to be thrashed at Derby and Blackburn! It’s all down to his lack of leadership and tactical sense. Shocking head coach. I’d sooner have Johnson! 

100% agree. This is what is angering me. These players are NOT 3 goals worse than Derby and Blackburn. It's poor management.

• Like 4

Things you never hear managers say pt 46654:-

"Yeah we've been really poor in training so I wasn't surprised that we were dogs**t today".

It's just words, meaningless words. Starting brightly, being brave, on the front foot blah blah blah. The overwhelming feeling I get with LM is that every week he seems genuinely surprised that 11 other players have turned up on the pitch, all trying playing to stop his players doing what he's told them to do.

• Like 5