IGNORED

Sack Manning, it’s not working and we are in free fall

Shauntaylor85

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

FWIW I believe you because I seen the post on social media, can’t find it now though 

Players are entitled to time off, but it’s poor considering the comments about international breaks under Pearson and now returning with that shambles.

Worth noting the same was said last time we had an international break in March, and time off wa given, and we returned with a win against Leicester

Time off after the shit they delivered at derby WHICH by the way could have been 5 or 6 nil , they should have been in every day UNBELIEVABLE 

Just now, BobBobBobbin said:

:laugh:. No, you've dismissed my experience because you haven't seen it. That's the point. 

Bloody hell you and 1815 are made for each other. 

Haven’t dismissed it at all? I simply just shared my experience of it. You gave yours, and I shared mine.

Christ.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And we’ve lost a number of model pros / standards setters over the summer.

Penny for the thoughts of Naismith (dropped for today) and Wells who didn’t get on today.

It’s a good example re dropping Naismith of trying to force it too much and being predictable 

“This formation must work, these players must fit that system and substitutions must happen at set times”

Time to rip all that up and playing 3 at the back against Oxford would be a start

6 hours ago, Robbored said:

And then what?

Everyone knows that any managerial appointment at any club is a gamble and there’s no guarantee that the next manager will be anymore successful.

Stick with Manning for now and reassess after 15 or so games.

He's had 40 and the pre season to see some progress.

Its the same defence as last season yet we're joint bottom for goals conceded.

That all the evidence I need - as then it becomes a near enough asumption that the issue is purely tactical.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Seemingly Eustace did, however he also said we spent a lot of money over the last 2-3 seasons which is surprising given that this is the biggest spend since 2019-20 and the outgoings, cost cutting etc.

Also

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24582751.blackburn-boss-unbeaten-start-verdict-come/

Screenshot_20240915-130815_Chrome.jpg

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Needs a serious fact check!

2 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Probably based on some of the lies we told when he interviewed... 

This is management 101. Big up the opposition 'just in case' and your fans will wonder at your incredible prowess when you dump their sorry assess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Likely agree with that 

Yes a fare time to bed on new players and tactics 

Yes the crutch of the problem. SL has two Muppets in suits running the show. At what point does SL sack the duo. And we then go through a total reset from that point. Requiring more major club investments. 

COYR

Two muppets in suits you say?

Statler and Waldorf.

They'd probably do a better job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Fuber said:

He's had 40 and the pre season to see some progress.

Its the same defence as last season yet we're joint bottom for goals conceded.

That all the evidence I need - as then it becomes a near enough asumption that the issue is purely tactical.

Certainly looks like that’s the main issue didn’t it?

1 hour ago, ProfitInMyPocket said:

It feels like EVERY time the ball is played into Knight Williams Bird Sykes the first thought is to keep it and go backwards or sideways.

This is because Mannings whole philosophy is built upon having control. He has said before if the opposition don't have the ball then they can't score. 

4 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is because Mannings whole philosophy is built upon having control. He has said before if the opposition don't have the ball then they can't score. 

We won’t have the ball long if you rely on Williams and Knight to keep us ticking over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

So you thought you’d take the piss, at my Wife’s expense?

Classless.

when did I do that?

Seems we've both got our wires crossed here. 

I was taking the piss out of your view that because you haven't experienced it it doesn't exist. You say that wasn't what you meant to imply. I certainly didn't say or mean anything negative about your wife, Lew. That would be mental considering I'm the one here defending Sheridan against your dismissal of her experiences wouldn't it?

Let's just leave it, I honestly can't be arsed. You've your view, I have mine. I'm sure not one other person on here gives a shit. 

12 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

when did I do that?

Seems we've both got our wires crossed here. 

I was taking the piss out of your view that because you haven't experienced it it doesn't exist. You say that wasn't what you meant to imply. I certainly didn't say or mean anything negative about your wife, Lew. That would be mental considering I'm the one here defending Sheridan against your dismissal of her experiences wouldn't it?

Let's just leave it, I honestly can't be arsed. You've your view, I have mine. I'm sure not one other person on here gives a shit. 

👍🏻

So has Manning delivered the much-heralded "Front Foot Football" or not?

If he has, it's clearly shit and will get us relegated if it continues.

If he hasn't , why the **** not?

Tinnion's pampered pet has had plenty of time and money.

Imagine what would have happened if his predecessor had delivered two 3-nil defeats on the bounce (despite being given no money to bring in players),

The dismissal would have been instant.

Never mind Two-Tier Kier.

We have our very own Two-Tier Tinnion !

• Like 11

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

And this is where Manning then blames the players rather than the plan. 

It makes you think doesn’t it! How much does the manager actually impact a game. Judging by what I’ve seen this year Manning is accountable for the inability to set up a team to counteract any well organised team. I have that same feeling as the Holden period as that we are about to go into free fall under a manager who is clueless and totally out of his depth. 

• Like 3

I've found Manning hard to warm to, and the Pearson sacking absolutely baffling - but I still think it's far too early in the season for threads like this.

I appreciate recent results and performances have been poor, but we're still very early on in the season. Think he needs at least 15 games this season before we can say whether he should stay or go - especially given the backing he's received this summer.

He has to deliver though, with the backing factored in I think anything less than 8th would be a poor season and questions should rightly be asked.

• Like 7

Having been at the cricket yesterday, I’ve not watched the Blackburn game and have no real intent of doing so - therefore this is based more on patterns and points.

Point One - As I’ve said, this is a relatively easy start on paper - illustrated by how bad Hull were and the overreaction here. If we’re 10th at the end of the first “block” we’re trending 15th in real terms and so on. Therefore we have some ground to make up massively

Point Two - There are no excuses. Liam has the players he wanted including the signing of the Turkish teethed prima Donna that is Twine. That they came late is neither here or there (and don’t give the time off in the break if they did). Time to gel is not an excuse. Hes had the funds on top of a solid mid table side. 

Point Three - It’d be easy (and not incorrect) to say sack him now, and if I’m brutally honest, he doesn’t show any signs of improving or developing. But we are talking “form” as opposed to anything else - and we rashly appointed on form so should we rashly sack on form?

Point Four - He cleary bullshitted at interview. As noted he’s not a coach who brings through youth, he’s not by nature an attacking coach. I said this early and nothing has changed my mind since. That’s on Tinnion and Lansdown.

Point Five - Liams failure is Brian and Jon’s failure. Don’t underestimate that.

So, where I think we are is that we have a coach who is not good enough, and is unlikely to get better. I’m (just) still sticking to the ten games barometer at this stage (I’d have sacked him many times before now) but I’m only saying so as it is a lot of money spent, and I don’t see us pushing the button so it has to work and the club is more important. So give him the ten, and if we’re nowhere further down the line, sack him. 

But we are now in a place where each game from hereon in needs progressive improvement. And in reality, we will know by probably Cardiff if it’s going to get there. And the irony of sacking a heavily backed head coach after a Cardiff game I’m sure won’t be lost on anyone.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Robin 1

My stance to Lansdown and Tinnion is unchanged. Leave. Leave now.

I do not bear ill will to Liam Manning and feel there is a slight overreaction this evening. There is no way he is going at this stage, not with how much has been spent.

Late-stage Lansdown has been a confusing and, at times, downright incompetent era. It's clear the love went after the overall failure of LJ.

I would say to the Lansdowns: "From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the stadium, facilities and community operations. Thank you for finally putting in the best youth system in decades, if not ever.

You will never understand how to get us to the promised land. You know it, too. Leave."

• Like 1
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

My stance to Lansdown and Tinnion is unchanged. Leave. Leave now.

I do not bear ill will to Liam Manning and feel there is a slight overreaction this evening. There is no way he is going at this stage, not with how much has been spent.

Late-stage Lansdown has been a confusing and, at times, downright incompetent era. It's clear the love went after the overall failure of LJ.

I would say to the Lansdowns: "From the bottom of my heart, thank you for the stadium, facilities and community operations. Thank you for finally putting in the best youth system in decades, if not ever.

You will never understand how to get us to the promised land. You know it, too. Leave."

Who is going to want to pay what SL would want though? that's the problem, we're not exactly an enticing prospect at the moment, are we. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Nest Egg said:

I think in some ways it is achievable if you have a competent proper football ceo, technical director and manager. 

In some ways that's what we had before Jon decided he needed to be more involved last October. 

Steve these days is pretty much a silent owner and has very very little to do with the day to day stuff. 

It's Jon that's the problem. I think he goes through phases of being interested and then being disinterested. I think he was very nieve to be influenced by Tinnion in his ear last October. I think Jon wants to prove to his father that he can be a success in his own right by making the changes to take us to the next level. 

What Steve and Jon need to do is employ people that know how to run a football club properly and then just leave them to it. Set the budget's and leave them be. I'm sure they do this in their other businesses outside of football but they can't seem to do that with the football because seemingly its all about their egos. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

What Steve and Jon need to do is employ people that know how to run a football club properly and then just leave them to it. Set the budget's and leave them be. I'm sure they do this in their other businesses outside of football but they can't seem to do that with the football because seemingly its all about their egos. 

FFS!!! 😠😠😡😡🤬🤬

When will you all stop saying this?

We all know what they need to do. We have all known it for years. 

GUESS ****ING WHAT??

They won't. 

What they need to do is **** off out of OUR club.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

FFS!!! 😠😠😡😡🤬🤬

When will you all stop saying this?

We all know what they need to do. We have all known it for years. 

GUESS ****ING WHAT??

They won't. 

What they need to do is **** off out of OUR club.

I agree with both points superjack. Jon and Steve should employ professionals who know what they are doing or they should leave. But I don’t think just saying they must leave is helpful. They have a choice, there are always choices. But I think as supporters we should be united, we do not want amateurs running our club as a hobby. We want it done properly. It’s never too late for Steve to start doing that. But as long as he does not, I will not support him owning the club. It’s not personal about Steve, it’s about the performance of the club. 

23 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

For me Manning was always a huge gamble.  He'd done very little previously before coming to us to give any indication he would be successful.  Yes all managers start somewhere, but why would you sack an experienced manager in Nige who had finally settled the ship, and bring in a complete gamble, it made no sense at the time and it still makes no sense.  One of the worst managerial decisions made since the Dean Holden debacle! 

What's even more frustrating is how often does a manager take over a steady ship?  Hardly ever, it's normally when a teams struggling or whatever.  We could have replaced Nige with another experienced manager and they would have been laughing as they wouldn't have needed a season to sort things out first.  Such a wasted opportunity

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

Trouble with this club is that those in charge (ha fkin ha!) never tackle the issue as soon as they smell burning or see some smoke.

They don’t even take action when they see some actual flames.

They wait until the fire is raging and totally out of control. 

And in their panic they simply pour petrol on the fire.

The buffoons in charge are too patient as are some of our supporters.

Why the perpetual “let’s give him ten games”? 

We’ve been there and done that many times. 

Acting too late never works, and our supporter base ends up ( if we’re lucky) being ever so grateful that someone has rescued us from relegation or even got us a mid-table spot.

If it looks and smells like a turd, it’s a turd!

Waiting patiently won’t make it smell or look any better.

It’s time to pull the flush on Tinnion and Manning….

And remember to wash your hands !

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

Been two really poor results but for me it’s way too early. First 3 league games we played well and based on performances we should probably have 2 wins minimum. Something definitely needs a change but I have faith that we can turn it around and start playing like we did in the first 3 games. For me it’s a change to a back 3

1 minute ago, fly in the air said:

Stoke have sacked there manager 

That for me is unbelievably harsh

On 14/09/2024 at 17:59, sludge said:

I genuinely don’t think Manning is going to get give anywhere the same slack that some of his predecessors enjoyed (by our fans that is) 

I don't want Manning out (yet), but Pearson was cut slack because his operational parameters were different: stabilise, slash wages, rebuild. Manning's inherited the foundations Pearson created, and has had money to rebuild. Needs to start showing a return on the investment.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Perhaps 25-30 mins but first goal makes a big difference or can do.

Especially with us as our record after conceding first under LM in the League is 4 Draws, 12 Losses in 16 Games!

I do agree, and when I say good, we were very good and could (probably should) have been 2 up. I don't want to discredit the good - same as the first 20 or so at home to Millwall.

Their goal got their crowd going too, which was poor until the goal. That can make a difference.

But as you've pointed out, once we concede first it's basically game over

• Like 1

On 14/09/2024 at 16:56, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above. I am sorry but I’ve seen enough. He needs to go and Tinnion can jump in the cab with him. That was awful! In fact, I agree with South Bristol Rob, worse than PNE away under LJ! Our summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain as his in game management is non existent. I cannot believe we started how we did today after having two weeks to review the errors from Derby. We are shipping goals for fun and other end look so disjointed. What on earth is going on?! He may regret not staying at Oxford although if he had many of their fans feel they would have bottled it. Time for change all over to be frank! It’s getting tedious. 

Think we got the wrong bloke from oxford.

14 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think in some ways it is achievable if you have a competent proper football ceo, technical director and manager. 

In some ways that's what we had before Jon decided he needed to be more involved last October. 

Steve these days is pretty much a silent owner and has very very little to do with the day to day stuff. 

It's Jon that's the problem. I think he goes through phases of being interested and then being disinterested. I think he was very nieve to be influenced by Tinnion in his ear last October. I think Jon wants to prove to his father that he can be a success in his own right by making the changes to take us to the next level. 

I agree completely. Sadly, it's their train set and anyone else capable of actually making it run on time never stay here too long.

Edited by The Nest Egg
  • Like 1

On 14/09/2024 at 16:56, Shauntaylor85 said:

As per the above. I am sorry but I’ve seen enough. He needs to go and Tinnion can jump in the cab with him. That was awful! In fact, I agree with South Bristol Rob, worse than PNE away under LJ! Our summer recruitment is looking like money down the drain as his in game management is non existent. I cannot believe we started how we did today after having two weeks to review the errors from Derby. We are shipping goals for fun and other end look so disjointed. What on earth is going on?! He may regret not staying at Oxford although if he had many of their fans feel they would have bottled it. Time for change all over to be frank! It’s getting tedious. 

In the unlikely event that we start winning a few matches, will you be on 'holiday'?

On 16/09/2024 at 01:46, W-S-M Seagull said:

I agree with what you say, but, hold the press, I do believe, once upon a time, we HAD a proper footballing CEO and a proper experienced manager and they binned them both off for a failed ex manager and literally, Joe 90, a puppet coach. Presumably at saving money and having complete control. Yet they would've forked out a tidy sum in sacking them. Even now its still bewildering.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Midred said:

In the unlikely event that we start winning a few matches, will you be on 'holiday'?

Nope. I would be happy that he’s changed things and playing the right players to get results. I am not convinced by Manning but would gladly eat my words. I want to be successful and am bored rigid of the same old City year on year. 

On 16/09/2024 at 00:40, Tinmans Love Child said:

What's even more frustrating is how often does a manager take over a steady ship?  Hardly ever, it's normally when a teams struggling or whatever.  We could have replaced Nige with another experienced manager and they would have been laughing as they wouldn't have needed a season to sort things out first.  Such a wasted opportunity

Exactly! We were playing players or had them in the squad that are now farmed out at two or more divisions below. But we were steady.

These ****ers told the supporters that the bloke was being fired as the results should have been better and when they got laughed at by the fans tried to imply that Pearson was having medical issues they couldn’t talk about, but that was the reason for the change really! 

I was a really good supporter of the Lansdown dynasty, until the realization that you can drop the dy when applied to them and that evil <insert expletive here> Tinnion  

• Like 2
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

And this is JL's appointment to head of comms at a championship club.

Good grief

Not sure what point you are making here, club employs an individual in a club comms role, who clearly has had comms experience working for an MP, and covering local football on BBC local and national radio, yet you choose to judge her suitability on 2 posts one being a valid complaint about women covering sport and the other about her liking trashy ITV content, both from a personal social media account that has nothing to do with her professional role where the intended audience would mostly consist of friends and family and those who choose to follow a personal account.

Plenty of stuff to beat the club up on, but this is not one.

• Like 6
  • Flames 3

58 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Not sure what point you are making here, club employs an individual in a club comms role, who clearly has had comms experience working for an MP, and covering local football on BBC local and national radio, yet you choose to judge her suitability on 2 posts one being a valid complaint about women covering sport and the other about her liking trashy ITV content, both from a personal social media account that has nothing to do with her professional role where the intended audience would mostly consist of friends and family and those who choose to follow a personal account.

Plenty of stuff to beat the club up on, but this is not one.

Cant agree.

Married at First Sight is on E4.

• Haha 1

On 16/09/2024 at 10:16, W-S-M Seagull said:

What Steve and Jon need to do is employ people that know how to run a football club properly and then just leave them to it.

We had that W-S-M & look how that ended, we need change, but at the very top :thumbsup:

• Flames 2

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Cant agree.

Married at First Sight is on E4.

Fair point, appreciate it's TV output for a different generation to mine, but reality TV of any kind leaves me cold, and there's little to differentiate between the channels that serve up that sort of bilge..

4 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Fair point, appreciate it's TV output for a different generation to mine, but reality TV of any kind leaves me cold, and there's little to differentiate between the channels that serve up that sort of bilge..

Wait until you have a wife and daughter who have an addiction to the “Real Housewives” series. You haven’t seen TV hell until that’s been on your screen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wait until you have a wife and daughter who have an addiction to the “Real Housewives” series. You haven’t seen TV hell until that’s been on your screen.

And there’s me thinking that you were a subscriber to RTV..

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

And then you find out one of them is The Cult’s Billy Duffy’s other half!  Lil Devil!!!

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And then you find out one of them is The Cult’s Billy Duffy’s other half!  Lil Devil!!!

I wouldn’t have a clue Dave. They watch so many of them I’ve got no idea who is in each - I’ve seen them have on the Real Housewives of Dubai, New Jersey, Orange County, Horfield, Miami, Sydney,  Cincinnati.

It’s a never ending treadmill of shite.

Although, if you want to get enraged about the amount of money mediocre Premier League players are paid (and bringing it back to football), then if you watch an episode of the Real Housewives of Cheshire your blood pressure will go through the roof.

• Haha 1

I've read and heard the old adage of LM can't / shouldn't be sacked until 10 games, 15 games, gone by Christmas etc.

I disagree. He was never the answer to moving us forward and myself and so many others had this view pre and post appointment. He's had plenty of games and plenty of time on the grass. If I could see some sort of progress coming to the surface I could just about stomach it. However, there really isn't any. We are heading for at best another wasted season or at worst going back to playing the Web toed brigade next season in League 1. 

I agree that the hierarchy are to blame for sacking NP and the subsequent appointment of LM but it is clear this has back fired spectacularly. I have no love for the hierarchy but if they had the stones to sack LM and publicly say that they took a gamble and it didn't work then I think they may get a positive reaction from us, the City fans. I'd caveat this with them also then appointing the right man for the job. That right man is the man for NOW and not some potentially good one for the future.

These are only my views and I'm sure that the hierarchy don't share these views in whole or in part.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, supercidered said:

I've read and heard the old adage of LM can't / shouldn't be sacked until 10 games, 15 games, gone by Christmas etc.

I disagree. He was never the answer to moving us forward and myself and so many others had this view pre and post appointment. He's had plenty of games and plenty of time on the grass. If I could see some sort of progress coming to the surface I could just about stomach it. However, there really isn't any. We are heading for at best another wasted season or at worst going back to playing the Web toed brigade next season in League 1. 

I agree that the hierarchy are to blame for sacking NP and the subsequent appointment of LM but it is clear this has back fired spectacularly. I have no love for the hierarchy but if they had the stones to sack LM and publicly say that they took a gamble and it didn't work then I think they may get a positive reaction from us, the City fans. I'd caveat this with them also then appointing the right man for the job. That right man is the man for NOW and not some potentially good one for the future.

These are only my views and I'm sure that the hierarchy don't share these views in whole or in part.

I’m always an admirer of people who hold their hands up and admit they’ve got it wrong. Rather than some BS excuse or they ignore the issue.

I’d rather sack Manning. JL and BT admit their mistakes. Then look for an actual candidate with the right experience and style of mixed play to take us forward.

However, they won’t do that as they have insecurities and don’t want to admit they’re wrong. Confirming the truth that they are both not in the right position to making such decisions for this club.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I’m always an admirer of people who hold their hands up and admit they’ve got it wrong. Rather than some BS excuse or they ignore the issue.

I’d rather sack Manning. JL and BT admit their mistakes. Then look for an actual candidate with the right experience and style of mixed play to take us forward.

However, they won’t do that as they have insecurities and don’t want to admit they’re wrong. Confirming the truth that they are both not in the right position to making such decisions for this club.

You’re almost there.. JL needs to sack Manning, then quickly sack Tinnion and then hold his hands up and say “ hey, I got it wrong, I placed too much faith in BT. It is now evident that we need a football manager to help take us forward, and my commitment to the players, stakeholders, shareholders and fans is to do everything within my powers to get this fantastic club back on a trajectory that will get us to the premier league in the not too distant future.”

He might not mind..

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, The Coach said:

Likewise as a fan, I will happily hold my hands up too if he delivers.  Although I laid my cards on the table in March (hence reference to this season being 23/24) as to what would qualify me to do so:

image.thumb.png.a0620cedf2e8ecf6aadb6ca39e3953ee.png

Nobody disagreed with that at the time, it was deemed a fairly sensible view.

I’m just watching how it plays out.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Likewise as a fan, I will happily hold my hands up too if he delivers.  Although I laid my cards on the table in March (hence reference to this season being 23/24) as to what would qualify me to do so:

image.thumb.png.a0620cedf2e8ecf6aadb6ca39e3953ee.png

Nobody disagreed with that at the time, it was deemed a fairly sensible view.

I’m just watching how it plays out.

That second bullet is hilarious Dave. What an absolute belter.

This club is shit at the top, shit in the middle, and shit on the pitch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, FNQ said:

You’re almost there.. JL needs to sack Manning, then quickly sack Tinnion and then hold his hands up and say “ hey, I got it wrong, I placed too much faith in BT. It is now evident that we need a football manager to help take us forward, and my commitment to the players, stakeholders, shareholders and fans is to do everything within my powers to get this fantastic club back on a trajectory that will get us to the premier league in the not too distant future.”

He might not mind..

If we lose on Saturday or at least don’t show signs of improvement then this is probably what should happen, but I am sure it won’t. 

I think they will stick with this until it has some resemblance (in their eyes) of working; and by that I don’t even think that means play offs, just mid to upper table mediocrity. 

I can’t even think of what scenario would exist for Lansdown to act. LJ had our worst losing streak in our history (8 I recall?) and he still backed him. I would imagine it would need several heavy defeats, especially at home, and us in the bottom 3. 

• Like 1