IGNORED

Sack Manning, it’s not working and we are in free fall

Shauntaylor85

5 minutes ago, One Team said:

If we lose on Saturday or at least don’t show signs of improvement then this is probably what should happen, but I am sure it won’t. 

I think they will stick with this until it has some resemblance (in their eyes) of working; and by that I don’t even think that means play offs, just mid to upper table mediocrity. 

I can’t even think of what scenario would exist for Lansdown to act. LJ had our worst losing streak in our history (8 I recall?) and he still backed him. I would imagine it would need several heavy defeats, especially at home, and us in the bottom 3. 

Well, we’ve just had 2. And we could be in the bottom 3 next week. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, One Team said:

If we lose on Saturday or at least don’t show signs of improvement then this is probably what should happen, but I am sure it won’t. 

I think they will stick with this until it has some resemblance (in their eyes) of working; and by that I don’t even think that means play offs, just mid to upper table mediocrity. 

I can’t even think of what scenario would exist for Lansdown to act. LJ had our worst losing streak in our history (8 I recall?) and he still backed him. I would imagine it would need several heavy defeats, especially at home, and us in the bottom 3. 

We’re only 2 points off of bottom 3..

Quite simply we went from being a club without and identity to a club that steadied the ship and put us on a solid footing with what strangely seemed like a united fan base and there were shoots of progression. Liam Manning takes over and it feels like it’s all turning to rat shit again on and off the pitch. We’re almost back to the days where fans called out other fans as ‘Happy Clappers’ whilst we headed towards League 1.

• Like 16
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, One Team said:

This is why I say he’s got a very large tolerance of what is deemed as “meeting expectations”.

• Like 2

Just been reading the Schumacher stoke thread.,, some of the circumstances are similar to us and most of the comments on that thread are sympathy for the sacked manager… if stoke are insisting on buying in a load of new players in the summer, and having a club legend as director of football despite not being qualified but he expects all the new signings to gel immediately when its generally acknowledged that it takes a few months to settle, and fires the manager when it doesnt then we apparently consider that rediculous, but thats exactly what we are expecting of manning.

• Like 1

On 16/09/2024 at 11:02, Bazooka Joe said:

Trouble with this club is that those in charge (ha fkin ha!) never tackle the issue as soon as they smell burning or see some smoke.

They don’t even take action when they see some actual flames.

They wait until the fire is raging and totally out of control. 

And in their panic they simply pour petrol on the fire.

The buffoons in charge are too patient as are some of our supporters.

Why the perpetual “let’s give him ten games”? 

We’ve been there and done that many times. 

Acting too late never works, and our supporter base ends up ( if we’re lucky) being ever so grateful that someone has rescued us from relegation or even got us a mid-table spot.

If it looks and smells like a turd, it’s a turd!

Waiting patiently won’t make it smell or look any better.

It’s time to pull the flush on Tinnion and Manning….

And remember to wash your hands !

Quite true, other clubs don't wait so long when they see it not working. Why are we not the same?

16 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Just been reading the Schumacher stoke thread.,, some of the circumstances are similar to us and most of the comments on that thread are sympathy for the sacked manager… if stoke are insisting on buying in a load of new players in the summer, and having a club legend as director of football despite not being qualified but he expects all the new signings to gel immediately when its generally acknowledged that it takes a few months to settle, and fires the manager when it doesnt then we apparently consider that rediculous, but thats exactly what we are expecting of manning.

Take your point on one level but we finished 11th last year and had been on a reasonable trajectory. Arguments for and against IMO.

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

All he has to do is coach the players into a top six team. We do all the hard stuff like background information, sourcing, contracts & recruitment. All the tek  teck techknical stuff. How hard can it be? Love Bri

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

The number of signings they made isn’t out of kilter with signings made across the Champ.  Virtually every club is impacted by having to gel.  They were mid-table in terms of incomings with 10.

image.png.67769292dc0c7659c1433fcb6af01682.png

It kinda goes with the territory, and they had 5 loans go back, 4 joining, so “you make your bed, you better lie in it” (The Jam)!

13 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Exactly! We were playing players or had them in the squad that are now farmed out at two or more divisions below. But we were steady.

These ****ers told the supporters that the bloke was being fired as the results should have been better and when they got laughed at by the fans tried to imply that Pearson was having medical issues they couldn’t talk about, but that was the reason for the change really! 

I was a really good supporter of the Lansdown dynasty, until the realization that you can drop the dye when applied to them and that evil <insert expletive here> Tinnion  

i thought tins was slapping something on his head, thanks for clearing that up

2 hours ago, One Team said:

The only thing that gives me a slight glimmer of hope that a decision won't drag on too long, is the fact that SL is looking to sell / attract investment. Now that the sporting quarter looks like it might be ready to go, I can't imagine he will entertain any thoughts regards getting relegated. I don't think anything will happen before the next international break, but if we're flirting or in the bottom 3 by then, I reckon he's a goner.

On 15/09/2024 at 07:04, RedM said:

They don't care much about their employees either from what I've heard. Not a great business to work for, unless you are a friend or a friend of a friend maybe. 

100%. 
Heard a story recently. Someone enquires about roles at Bristol Sport. Mid level managerial roles.
The person is mid 40’s and currently works in the same sort of role (ie mid managerial), so we’re talking £40k plus salary. 

There were no roles of that level currently vacant, but they told this person “if you want to get into Bristol Sport then you can always join on a part time basis in one of our entry roles”. 

They basically said, sorry, can’t offer you any sort of managerial role at the moment, but if you want to work the burger stand at half time you might get your ‘foot in the door’. 🤣🤣

Edited by Harry
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

100%. 
Heard a story recently. Someone enquires about roles at Bristol Sport. Mid level managerial roles.
The person is mid 40’s and currently works in the same sort of role (ie mid managerial), so we’re talking £40k plus salary. 

There were no roles of that level currently vacant, but they told this person “if you want to get into Bristol Sport then you can always join on a part time basis in one of our entry roles”. 

They basically said, sorry, can’t offer you any sort of managerial role at the moment, but if you want to work the burger stand at half time you might get your ‘foot in the door’. 🤣🤣

Which stall you working Harr, can I get a burger at mates rates! 😂😂😂

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Quite true, other clubs don't wait so long when they see it not working. Why are we not the same?

Problem Lansdown and Tinnion have at the moment is they need to prove the fan base wrong and that Manning is the coach to take us forward. Especially after the backlash they got after sacking Pearson.

I would like to think both of them right now are getting rather nervous and yet again they’ve proven to make a bad decision and that the fanbase were in the right.

• Like 6

They will give Manning ever opportunity to prove them right before making a decision to sack. Someone mentioned the situation of when the playoffs start to become mathematically un achievable and I tend to agree. This timeline could be accelerated with a Tinnion style Swansea defeat but am expecting a vote of confidence based on “needs time to bed in new players”.  What gives Manning credit is he has strung a good set of results together and has had some good wins.  Which in the boards eyes gives them the belief they made the correct decision.  I agree that I’m starting to get LJ vibes in that if the fans all agree that Twine should be played as a 10 I won’t do it as I’m the smartest guy in the room tactically.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

I agree that I’m starting to get LJ vibes in that if the fans all agree that Twine should be played as a 10 I won’t do it as I’m the smartest guy in the room tactically.

That last sentence is gonna be proved or disproved this Saturday.  I do remember thinking that with LJ.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That last sentence is gonna be proved or disproved this Saturday.  I do remember thinking that with LJ.

You'd like to think he "must" have bought ST with the intention of playing him central as a 10!

LM will really have to earn his corn on terms of man mgmt soon, I expect Fally to be dropped for Sincs so he'll have a mardy Frenchman to man manage.  Personally think he's struggling as he doesn't want to drop Williams/Knight/Bird or Twine. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

They will give Manning ever opportunity to prove them right before making a decision to sack. Someone mentioned the situation of when the playoffs start to become mathematically un achievable and I tend to agree. This timeline could be accelerated with a Tinnion style Swansea defeat but am expecting a vote of confidence based on “needs time to bed in new players”.  What gives Manning credit is he has strung a good set of results together and has had some good wins.  Which in the boards eyes gives them the belief they made the correct decision.  I agree that I’m starting to get LJ vibes in that if the fans all agree that Twine should be played as a 10 I won’t do it as I’m the smartest guy in the room tactically.

I personally think that once a manager is appointed they should almost always be given a good season or so to be left to their work.

All teams have peaks and troughs, fortune, misfortune etc etc.

Unless the players are banging on the chairman's door in exasperation, then I think patience is a virtue. I think most managers and players would agree with me.

If City wallop Oxford, suddenly all the doom and gloom is lifted (not all the concerns and reservations, naturally). 

I bloody hope that's what happens 🫣

• Like 4
  • Robin 3

47 minutes ago, Red Billy said:

I think it could go one of two ways. They either back their man LJ style or they cut him loose to save themselves face. 

My position is that he inherited a very strong base. Probably a stronger base than any new manager at Bristol City has ever inherited. 

I made a post before called 'the elephant in the room' which outlined my concerns about giving LM a pre season and money to spend. 

So far this season my concerns have been heightened that we've destroyed that solid base. 

Oxford fans noted that LM is very stubborn when it comes to team selections/tactics and it seems like we are seeing that here now. 

For what it's worth I don't think playing with two strikers or playing Twine as a 10 would change the outcomes much if at all. I think the problems go much deeper than simply a selection issue. 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Manning had the opportunity to reset the line up after the Derby defeat. Can understand why up to then he didn’t massively change things but to not put Twine in the 10 for Blackburn felt like a bit of a fingers up to the fans and Twine to a degree. We spend months chasing the guy as the answer to what we need - a number 10 to break the low block then play him out wide. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think it could go one of two ways. They either back their man LJ style or they cut him loose to save themselves face. 

My position is that he inherited a very strong base. Probably a stronger base than any new manager at Bristol City has ever inherited. 

I made a post before called 'the elephant in the room' which outlined my concerns about giving LM a pre season and money to spend. 

So far this season my concerns have been heightened that we've destroyed that solid base. 

Oxford fans noted that LM is very stubborn when it comes to team selections/tactics and it seems like we are seeing that here now. 

For what it's worth I don't think playing with two strikers or playing Twine as a 10 would change the outcomes much if at all. I think the problems go much deeper than simply a selection issue. 

We had the base of a team that was hard to beat and needed a few recruits to strengthen. It feels that although we may have added some quality and depth we have lost a bit of our cohesion. As others have said - a decent result at Oxford followed by a good run changes the mood and mindset. I really want Manning to do well for no other reason than I want Bristol City to do well but for me he fails to see what is playing out in front of him and act upon it. I remember a game last season when he brought Sykes of and said it was because his running stats were dropping or similar when in fact Sykes looked the most likely on the pitch to influence the result. If he doesn’t get it right in the match plan he builds all week then he seems unable to adjust on the big day. That is my concern over him as coach. Maybe this will improve in time but opposition managers seem to watch our game plan adjust accordingly and leave us with no response.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Which stall you working Harr, can I get a burger at mates rates! 😂😂😂

Dave. You disappoint me. 
A man of stats like yourself should have spotted the person in question was “mid 40’s”. And you know full well I turned 50 this year. 

But anyway, do you want fries with that? 🍟 🍔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They do seem to share a tendency to want to show how clever they are. Modern, progressive coaches eh?😁

6 hours ago, mozo said:

I personally think that once a manager is appointed they should almost always be given a good season or so to be left to their work.

All teams have peaks and troughs, fortune, misfortune etc etc.

Unless the players are banging on the chairman's door in exasperation, then I think patience is a virtue. I think most managers and players would agree with me.

If City wallop Oxford, suddenly all the doom and gloom is lifted (not all the concerns and reservations, naturally). 

I bloody hope that's what happens 🫣

A good season or so, the thing is LM joined 1/3 of the way into last season so what constitutes a fair timeframe.

15 Games? Mid November?

Agree with the rest of your post.

3-0 and a rousing performance. Remind Oxford what they've lost, send our biggest crowd f the season home happy.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Screenshot_20240918-220618_Chrome.jpg.b1889763efe81d5919a8e9d95ff6cb5f.jpg

1) I thought we finished 11th?

2) Debatable to say he impressed, we were 11th with 1.4 PPG when he arrived and a 40% win ratio and give or take we finished roughly the same.

He maintained the level..We had some very good games and a range of absolutely rotten ones, the baseline was lower

Some underlying numbers were perhaps a bit better, some a bit worse but...

10 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Quite simply we went from being a club without and identity to a club that steadied the ship and put us on a solid footing with what strangely seemed like a united fan base and there were shoots of progression. Liam Manning takes over and it feels like it’s all turning to rat shit again on and off the pitch. We’re almost back to the days where fans called out other fans as ‘Happy Clappers’ whilst we headed towards League 1.

2012/13 OTIB was a dark place!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A good season or so, the thing is LM joined 1/3 of the way into last season so what constitutes a fair timeframe.

15 Games? Mid November?

Agree with the rest of your post.

3-0 and a rousing performance. Remind Oxford what they've lost, send our biggest crowd f the season home happy.

Yeah, I'm happy for him to see out the season even if we're below expectations.

I'm also happy to make firm judgement as to his ability long before the end of the season.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Dave. You disappoint me. 
A man of stats like yourself should have spotted the person in question was “mid 40’s”. And you know full well I turned 50 this year. 

im still only 59 +2,  does your 45 include the small print?  😀

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah, I'm happy for him to see out the season even if we're below expectations.

I'm also happy to make firm judgement as to his ability long before the end of the season.

Really, very generous.

Most managers at this level...get about 2 windows and 12 months or so?

Is 3 Windows and 18 months, 1.5 seasons a better timespan?

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Really, very generous.

Most managers at this level...get about 2 windows and 12 months or so?

Is 3 Windows and 18 months, 1.5 seasons a better timespan?

They do, but I think that's ridiculous. The modern sacking culture doesnt help anyone imo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mozo said:

They do, but I think that's ridiculous. The modern sacking culture doesnt help anyone imo. 

Well time and profile is on our side even if we don't have a top season, but given the position inherited, the decent (not exorbitant but decent) expenditure, I'm still thinking 8th-10th is a fair.

After the first 15 games could be definitive, certainly a good barometer.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Screenshot_20240918-220618_Chrome.jpg.b1889763efe81d5919a8e9d95ff6cb5f.jpg

1) I thought we finished 11th?

2) Debatable to say he impressed, we were 11th with 1.4 PPG when he arrived and a 40% win ratio and give or take we finished roughly the same.

He maintained the level..We had some very good games and a range of absolutely rotten ones, the baseline was lower

Some underlying numbers were perhaps a bit better, some a bit worse but...

Did Ian Gay write that 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not too sure many would agree that he impressed. 

We went through some very tough times last season. 

Was it the Swansea game when fans were booing during the game? If we would have lost that game I'm not totally sure Liam would be here today. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Did Ian Gay write that 🤣🤣🤣

I'm not too sure many would agree that he impressed. 

We went through some very tough times last season. 

Was it the Swansea game when fans were booing during the game? If we would have lost that game I'm not totally sure Liam would be here today. 

I remember it well, booing in gsme after one back pass too many.

Piercy has gone, unsure who the replacement is now? It's from there iirc..yes the fans and possibly SL were growing restless in March IMO.

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Dave. You disappoint me. 

I thought you were lying, you look good on it! 😂😂😂

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, M.D said:

As another poster pointed out, apologies for not remembering who, I think if they sacked Manning soon most fans would have more respect for them.

Doubt they see that though.

I can't see why that would earn respect. 

It would just endorse what we all know. They ****ed up because of their own arrogance and ego and sacked the bloke that was solving the problems they created. 

Which is why it won't happen unless we are league one bound. 

And maybe not even then.

Edited by Superjack
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Red Billy said:

So by Christmas then...

17 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

The difference for me is that Manning has no previous that he will be a success, whereas Schumacher has a promotion under his belt so has proved he at least has some credibility 

14 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

You're right, they may go deeper!

But with the last 2 games formation it's just impossible to know as it's clear it's illsuited. Verging on just plain wrong.

This is where the anger comes from; it's difficult to buy into a process, when that process is selling itself short.

In other words; bringing in twine , to solve the biggest issue, and also to be the centre piece of the team going forward.. then playing him out of position - losing 0-3 0-3. That's where faith becomes lost.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

The difference for me is that Manning has no previous that he will be a success, whereas Schumacher has a promotion under his belt so has proved he at least has some credibility 

At least Walters was a decent PL forward. 

18 hours ago, Harry said:

100%. 

Won't go into details but I've had a pretty god awful experience with HL in terms of recruitment also, though in a different way. Can't say that remotely surprises me.

18 hours ago, Harry said:

100%. 

Football Clubs think that working for them is seen as ' glamorous '.

It's why they offer peanuts to employees, as they know there will always be some Muppet who will take the job, just so they can say ' I work for Bristol City/sport. ' As if it's a badge of honour and gives someone Kudos. 

I feel sorry for people who work for them. 

Even in middle management.

Always remember a very long conversation from a previous employee under Ashton as to how they were treated. 

At the top you get top dollar.

Anything below are seen as the plebs. Disposable. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, chinapig said:

They do seem to share a tendency to want to show how clever they are. Modern, progressive coaches eh?😁

That’s the opposite of what Bristol City needs imo. We are never in a position to sign the best players in the league, setting a particular style and dominating most games. That’s not the lake we fish in. We ain’t good enough to say “stop us if you can” because many teams prove they CAN stop the current way of playing.

The coach we need is one who is rounded, can be flexible and change things up when we get worked out. Somebody who has principles, yes, but variations within that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

That’s the opposite of what Bristol City needs imo. We are never in a position to sign the best players in the league, setting a particular style and dominating most games. That’s not the lake we fish in. We ain’t good enough to say “stop us if you can” because many teams prove they CAN stop the current way of playing.

The coach we need is one who is rounded, can be flexible and change things up when we get worked out. Somebody who has principles, yes, but variations within that.

A fit and well Tony Mowbray is what you mean.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Brentford in their final few years at this level albeit an increasing budget were a side who dominated vs most opposition. Albeit they had a defined and distinct way of playing and tapped foreign markets rather well- a good number of them still in and around the squad in PL or went on to bigger things.

However yes I agree with you overall.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

Football Clubs think that working for them is seen as ' glamorous '.

It's why they offer peanuts to employees, as they know there will always be some Muppet who will take the job, just so they can say ' I work for Bristol City/sport. ' As if it's a badge of honour and gives someone Kudos. 

I feel sorry for people who work for them. 

For quite some years I looked after a no. of life insurance schemes for pro football clubs.  Mostly we covered the players but there were other policies where we covered non playing staff.

I was amazed, once you get below 1st team assistant manager level hiw paltry the salaries were. The head groundsman for a big Club at our level was on a pittance. 

Totally agree it's the "glamour" effect - they were awful payers too (& this was literally some of the biggest teams in the world).

It did allow me my career highlight though, we insured the playing staff of Cardiff. In error, the broker included Neil Warnock on the schedule, so I had the pleasure or crossing his name out & annotating "not included" next to it.  

3 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

For quite some years I looked after a no. of life insurance schemes for pro football clubs.  Mostly we covered the players but there were other policies where we covered non playing staff.

I was amazed, once you get below 1st team assistant manager level hiw paltry the salaries were. The head groundsman for a big Club at our level was on a pittance. 

Totally agree it's the "glamour" effect - they were awful payers too (& this was literally some of the biggest teams in the world).

It did allow me my career highlight though, we insured the playing staff of Cardiff. In error, the broker included Neil Warnock on the schedule, so I had the pleasure or crossing his name out & annotating "not included" next to it.  

Football pays a pittance as you say, to all below the very top, especially when you compare salaries for the same employment elsewhere.