IGNORED

The improvements since NP sacking

Alan Dicks

23 hours ago, Loderingo said:

The board will only sack Manning if we get sucked into the relegation fight.

Which could possibly be just around the corner, God help us if we do but on present form it's quite likely. 

:pray:I'm praying it doesn't come to that but............................ :pray: :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

The one fatal flaw in copying the Pep style of play is that Pep actually makes tactical tweaks. 

Tweaks and he has players talented enough to change their approach to the game on the fly. He's got a real eye for identitying issues and reacting to them quickly

On 14/09/2024 at 21:47, Dullmoan Tone said:

We were often boring under NP, we conceded late goals for fun, for months. We sometimes went a game with less than a handful of shots - perhaps with one on target. Despite the love-in we were never getting promoted.

We are still shit under LM but the games are more open, we create more chances. Have more shots on target. We put people on the bench who have a better chance of affecting a game, rather than work experience for the U21’s.

Whether we like it or not, even Sir Alex struggled at the start - not that I am suggesting there is any evidence he will come good, but things were often terrible under NP and if you think otherwise you weren’t there often enough!!

I'm sorry but the Sir Alex comparison is ridiculous.  Sir Alex had got St Mirren promoted before winning the European Cup Winners Cup and 3 Scottish League titles with Aberdeen, before he even set foot in Old Trafford.  

Whereas Manning did nothing at MK Dons before doing nothing at Oxford before joining us (apart from jumping ship showing he's also not got much loyalty). There is no evidence to suggest he will do anything other than nothing here as well.

As I posted on another thread, Manning had absolutely no right getting this job, football is about winning, and he's not won a thing, ever

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I'm sorry but the Sir Alex comparison is ridiculous.  Sir Alex had got St Mirren promoted before winning the European Cup Winners Cup and 3 Scottish League titles with Aberdeen, before he even set foot in Old Trafford.  

Whereas Manning did nothing at MK Dons before doing nothing at Oxford before joining us (apart from jumping ship showing he's also not got much loyalty). There is no evidence to suggest he will do anything other than nothing here as well.

As I posted on another thread, Manning had absolutely no right getting this job, football is about winning, and he's not won a thing, ever

The owners of the club should have way more respect for the size of club we are which is an established Championship team.  We should only ever be employing managers who have had some level of experience and success, that should be a minimum.  

The teams lower down the pyramid should give new and inexperienced managers their chance (isnt that how it should be?) and let the cream slowly rise up the leagues and find its level.

Ive no problem with a young manager coming in who has cut their teeth and been successful with a smaller club, and its only right they get their chance at the Championship as they have in effect completed League 2 or League 1 through gaining promotion so have earned the right.

And if they came to us and did well then I'd have no problem if they stepped up to a bigger club than us, again that's how it should work.

But what we've done is employ a manager in Manning (same for LJ) who hadn't yet completed league 2, let alone League 1, so had no business here whatsoever, they should have been nowhere near the shortlist.

It's all very well saying Manning is going to coach the players and play a certain way and all that gumph, but Manning has NEVER been successful at doing it, even in the lower leagues, so he was NEVER going to be successful doing it here.  

When Man Utd employed Sir Alex he had earned the right to manage them.  Apart from caretaker managers or those promoted from within the club like Tinnion or Holden,  Manning has to be one of the least experienced managers we've ever recruited externally.

• Like 2

TBH @GrahamC I think the recruitment has been pretty good, but as @TheReds said I think it is both decent recruitment but the team is a shitshow . I think that's overstating it but I'll go with it. 
The individual players are good , I think the average level of the squad is better but , the whole is currently much worse than the sum of the parts. 

The stand out question for everyone seems to be about Bird and Twine . Manning seemed to obsess over that No.10 , and lust after Twine yet plays the two of them in what seems to be contrary roles to what they were bought to play .
Now I have no problem with this to a point , but it didn't work at Derby and we had 2 weeks to work on Twine moving central and didn't do it. 
The Blackburn game had all the problems of Derby (including conceding 3 ) with none of the threat , tempo or ambition. 

I just don't see what he is trying to do and I don't think I'm alone.

16 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Quite. Pearson was never going to manage us this season. The hierarchy just weren't going to do that. Pearson no longer being at City is not, in and of itself, the issue.

I wouldn't have been too upset if Pearson was moved from the Managers role at the end of last season , I actually thought that is what might happen. But I hoped he would not only be involved in the succession planning as @Davefevs mentioned , but I had hoped he might be made DoF or similar to oversee the transition and moving forward . Sadly the Lansdowns seem to fragile to work with strong opinionated people , which is sad. Different opinions and ideas are vital to make anything succeed . Our one voice one idea, my way or the highway plans are why we repeat our previous failings eventually . 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1