IGNORED

Could Oxford be Manning's Waterloo?

Mr Popodopolous

Okay it is early but it is also Matchday 37 for Manning.

Oxford...

*Lost Manning to us, onto bigger and better things he was.

Oxford...

*We played in the Cup 13 months ago and we won 5-1. We also beat them 4-0 in a pre-season Friendly behind closed doors albeit the latter had lots of changes.

Oxford...

*Considered to be the weakest of the Newly Promoted sides.

Also next week is also a Family Day, much like Rotherham in April was.

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/upgrade-to-the-crossbar-for-city-v-oxford/

Clearly had this earmarked as a winnable game, perhaps even a more than 50% chance to win?

If we lose this one...what an embarrassment it would be!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It would be awfully embarrassing a loss at Home to Oxford in these circs, wouldn't it.

You can see the away end singing Liam Manning is f****** s**** with home fans then joining in. Would be very difficult to bounce back from that. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sludge said:

You can see the away end singing Liam Manning is f****** s**** with home fans then joining in. Would be very difficult to bounce back from that. 

Good point. “Manning what’s the score?” as well if we are losing from both sets of fans.

Could be quite toxic. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Clueless Jonboy and Tinnion won't have the balls to sack him.  Didn't have the guts to accept that Pearson told them a few home truths either.

If the fans really turn, as I think they might. Big Steve will pull rank 

Just now, One Team said:

Good point. “Manning what’s the score?” as well if we are losing from both sets of fans.

Could be quite toxic. 

Would be horrendous for him 

• Like 2

If he continues with this nonsensical Bird 10, Twine LW system next Saturday he deserves all the ridicule he gets. 

Mehmeti coming on today meant Twine moved infield and between Scott, Yu and Sincs we showed glimpses of a good attacking unit. Which ain’t much, but streets ahead of the first half shit show. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Serious question but on what evidence this season do you believe this will happen? Oxford have been solid and at present are a better team than us with lesser players.

It’s a probability call.  I expect to see a reaction to what are two abysmal results. He’ll have to change things up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

He will not be fired before Christmas - you don’t back a manager with precious millions then fire him 4 weeks later unless you are Chelsea and we are not!

Totally fair point. I just feel this might  be one mistake too many for a significant number of fans and after the way Pearson was treated we might see more vitriol in the stands than has been the case in recent years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Watford, West Ham, Southampton, Leicester- and Millwall just for the topsy turvy nature... ;)

Wait, what? Did we beat Southampton? That can't be - surely we'd have heard about that for months after.....

If anyone can name one thing he's improved in the 10 months I'd be amazed.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Family Day, Fans of the Future among them.

Over 22k tickets sold as of Tuesday. Yes the Club will be expecting a win and a Good Performance. IMO of course.

On paper one of the Softer Games back in the Summer or so it seemed.

Over 22k sold? Not seen the club mention that, when normally they would have - impressive if true 

When was the last time we played well in front of such a big crowd?

Doesn’t bode well……

Feels like a “must win” for Manning after the last two results 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Over 22k sold? Not seen the club mention that, when normally they would have - impressive if true 

When was the last time we played well in front of such a big crowd?

Doesn’t bode well……

Feels like a “must win” for Manning after the last two results 

Found it.

Oh absolutely a must win by several metrics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

It's going to be 0-0 I'll call it right now

He's gonna put 10 men behind the ball as he'll make damn sure he doesn't lose and well, we know we can't score a goal at the other end

Yep, didn’t he say in his after match interview that we need to go back to being hard to beat? I think that’s the sort of shit game we will be looking at unfortunately 

5 minutes ago, mattjb said:

Yep, didn’t he say in his after match interview that we need to go back to being hard to beat? I think that’s the sort of shit game we will be looking at unfortunately 

Imagine having a very tidy defence, spending millions on the attack over the summer…and now need to fix the defence.

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Firstly thanks again to those of you who commented in support of our new stadium, on our County Council planning portal, when I posted here about it last year. It's all progressing well, although there have been the usual NIMBY protests and a slight delay, but should be ready for the start of the 2027/2028 season.

Onto next week. We're a very much different side (and club) to the one you beat in the League Cup just over 12 months ago. We're playing very well, and winning games on merit, much to the disgust of the fans of those we beat, who seem to think all they have to do is turn up at our three sided shit hole of a stadium and they'll be presented with three points. We're much better than the side Manning left behind.

We already have a chant for him, and it has been sung since the first game after he left. 

"Who the **** is Liam Manning,

Who the **** is Liam Manning,

And the Us go marching on, on, on."

Expect to hear it sung many times next week. He is really hated by most of us for the way he left us. Also expect to see loads of inflatable snakes too. Looks like we'll sell out the full allocation, as it's well up above the 3,000 mark at the moment. Nothing against you at all, as a club and fan base (far prefer you to those Irene loving idiots of North Bristol), and as I've already said many of you were great regarding our new stadium, so don't take it personally, it'll all be directed at Manning.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

Firstly thanks again to those of you who commented in support of our new stadium, on our County Council planning portal, when I posted here about it last year. It's all progressing well, although there have been the usual NIMBY protests and a slight delay, but should be ready for the start of the 2027/2028 season.

Onto next week. We're a very much different side (and club) to the one you beat in the League Cup just over 12 months ago. We're playing very well, and winning games on merit, much to the disgust of the fans of those we beat, who seem to think all they have to do is turn up at our three sided shit hole of a stadium and they'll be presented with three points. We're much better than the side Manning left behind.

We already have a chant for him, and it has been sung since the first game after he left. 

Expect to hear it sung many times next week. He is really hated by most of us for the way he left us. Also expect to see loads of inflatable snakes too. Looks like we'll sell out the full allocation, as it's well up above the 3,000 mark at the moment. Nothing against you at all, as a club and fan base (far prefer you to those Irene loving idiots of North Bristol), and as I've already said many of you were great regarding our new stadium, so don't take it personally, it'll all be directed at Manning.

If you could direct some of that snake stuff at Brian Tinnion that’d be grand, ta. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

That said, this is Bristol City..

We’ll probably turn up next week and win.

Looks like a good day in prospect though.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Said after Derby, he absolutely won’t want to go into Oxford after a loss at Blackburn. 

Couldn’t quite imagine going it in worse circumstances, really. 

Lose to them and things will get very interesting. 

They won’t though. This club has become accustomed to mediocrity 

I can’t remember the last time the atmosphere turned toxic. The clubs fan base has gone soft 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

He is really hated by most of us for the way he left us. Also expect to see loads of inflatable snakes too. Looks like we'll sell out the full allocation, as it's well up above the 3,000 mark at the moment. Nothing against you at all, as a club and fan base (far prefer you to those Irene loving idiots of North Bristol), and as I've already said many of you were great regarding our new stadium, so don't take it personally, it'll all be directed at Manning.

Pffft. Hated by most of you. You’re amateurs - we’re way ahead of that level!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

I've been quite impressed with Oxford and think all of the newly Promoted sides will he competitive and challenging at Home, although Portsmouth are yet to show it.

Not sure about Away but both seem to be competitive most weeks..I expect a competitive game.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

38 minutes ago, Col The Ox said:

I must say, the fixation on Manning I find unbelievably odd. 

He left you, you got loads of money out of it, and then a literal Oxford fan, born and raised, took over and got you promoted, at Wembley, into a league you haven’t been in for a generation. 

I couldn’t dream of a better scenario, and if anything would make me incredibly thankful for the predecessor ******* off. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He left you, you got loads of money out of it, and then a literal Oxford fan, born and raised, took over and got you promoted, at Wembley, into a league you haven’t been in for a generation. 

I couldn’t dream of a better scenario, and if anything would make me incredibly thankful for the predecessor ******* off. 

He thought he was better than us and we intend to let him know that he is not. It was the very underhand way that he left too. People lost their jobs because of him, as he replaced them with his own team of people, and then ****** off at the first opportunity. He was incredibly well backed and showed zero gratitude. Don't forget he was unemployed when we gave him the job.

He's also really boring and has a shit haircut.🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Based on this we just need Manning to leave the club, appoint Andy King as manager and it's Premier League here we come!!

• Like 1

This was early 2022, Februaryish?

JL stated that the side should be doing better and NP disagreed, while labelling our prior policy as bonkers.

In addition to this, NP explained why we were in the mess we were in, while JL moaned about how we were a sensible and well run club and didn't need any external input to stay within FFP.

• Like 4
  • Robin 1

8 hours ago, bemmyredjeff said:

How many times have we said this and when the situation arises we are as quiet as mice !

Yup. 

Pay your money, sit down, shut up and all revere the family Lansdown and a duplicitous 'Bristol City Legend'.

Not me, thanks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Col The Ox said:

He thought he was better than us and we intend to let him know that he is not. It was the very underhand way that he left too. People lost their jobs because of him, as he replaced them with his own team of people, and then ****** off at the first opportunity. He was incredibly well backed and showed zero gratitude. Don't forget he was unemployed when we gave him the job.

He's also really boring and has a shit haircut.🤣 

So we can’t persuade you to take him back then?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Any vitriol against Manning is so misguided and just takes the focus off the real issues within the club

Liam Manning is not the problem

Liam Manning is a problem, just not the only one.

• Like 10

Interesting reading Oxford’s forum. 

They wanted to win this game anyway for their own reasons, but have picked up on the many threads here, quoting them, and doubly want a win now. 

I did laugh at all the people who said they’ve bought inflatable snakes! 

20 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Any vitriol against Manning is so misguided and just takes the focus off the real issues within the club

Liam Manning is not the problem

Agreed, Manning is a symptom not the disease. The club is a mess from the top to the bottom. We have an owner and board who are so fickle they seem unable to cope with any challenge. They know, theoretically, that they need professionals with experience and past success, but when they get those people they don’t like hearing home truths and sack them. Then they go for inexperienced yes men, realise they need experience and people with past success and we rinse and repeat. Emotionally I have checked out. It’s too draining to care too much. Until S.L. bites the bullet, replaces John as chairman and demands professionals at all levels it will not change. Depressingly, I suspect any manager of substance knows that as well so why would they come? Even as a life long supporter I wouldn’t want to recommend any manager of substance to come. The best young managers will know they will get better resources and support elsewhere and any experienced manager will not have the patience to suffer the fools above. 

• Like 4

First off , lets be realistic Manning will be going nowhere until Christmas. The one thing that could bring it forward is this run of 3-0 defeats carrying on for another few games. The Board/Club/Lansdowns have backed him as much as they could , after penny pinching with a much more experienced man .  In a way they have nailed their colours to the mast.

If you look at the table , they are 7th (us 17th) and have already beaten Preston , Norwich and Stoke , anyone under the impression we will get an easy moral boosting win is mistaken . That said they have lost their 3 away games, all be it only by the odd goal. 
Next week is all on Manning. I know I , and others, have said wait for 10 games to really judge him and his team but it ain't looking great just now. 

I have said several times we shouldn't start with Mayulu , not yet and not away. Armstrong sets out our stall to chase, press and fight . Mayulu is more of a technical player reliant on service into him . That's how it looked yesterday , until Armstrong came on we were slow, tentative and passive . More intent on possession than hurting them. 
I missed the first 15/20 , but from what I saw although I didn't think there was much between the sides . What I will say is we looked like we were playing safety first football. 

At 2-0 I'm not sure you can take much from how we played , Blackburn were comfortable to play on the break , though if Twine scores one of his chances we may have had a look in. The Mehmeti & Yu subd smacked of sheer panic.

At Derby I thought we played well , Armstrong had chances and we bossed the game until they scored through a crowd of players. What happened after that was worrying. 

We have discussed the Twine/Bird pairing not working , but also Sykes looks like he's playing within himself (orders?) . The left side looks ineffective and we have stopped getting support to the striker. Add that we are giving away goals for fun and it's a worrying combination . I would accept that some of those goals have been while we are chasing the game, but I worry that we are chasing a game against pretty average sides and get dismantled
I hoped that the break would give us time to tighten up at the back while getting more cohesion up front. What we got was all the bad bits from the Derby game but without the threat we carried early on. 

For my two penneth's worth , we have to sort out where we want players to play and not fit them in. 
Twine was Manning's golden child , signed as a 10 so play him there.
Pretty sure Bird could play that LMF role more naturally as a left footer , might link with Pring better too. 
Mayulu's heatmap looks like a player searching for the ball , infact Roberts had nearly as many touches as our 2 CF's added together , the service was rubbish. 
Funny enough before yesterday I would have thought the home game against Oxford would have been a good time to give him his start . A game you might think we would have the lions share of possession and they may be sitting a little deeper than Blackburn were likely to . 

Oxford will relish coming to the Gate , we look a shambles . Minus 5 GD with two 3-0 defeats on the spin and looking susceptible on the break . 

I said yesterday Manning has work to do. In the cold light of day I think it's more of a total rethink . 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, petehinton said:

Imagine being that emotional about Liam Manning, I doubt he inspires that much feeling in his missus/romantic partners.

• Haha 1

We need to get points on the board from the next 2 home games as theres some tough games coming up Swansea Stoke and Middlesboro away Leeds home (never beat em) Cardiff (anything could happen) then Preston away (never a good hunting ground) then Sheff Utd at home so if we carry on like we are now LM could be gone by November

On paper we have improved the squad so the board have backed him. We've lost badly to two bang average sides.

He's pretty much played the same side starting off and tactics in both matches (McNally for the injured Dickie & Mayulu because Sincs was on International duty) so being soundly beaten in one match and expecting it to change for the next match is PURE insanity.

I don't think he sees it that opposition coaches work his tactics out early and go on to win the match. He's always on the back foot tactically. I don't think he can affect the game at this level and I don't think the players believe in him either. It's not just two 3:0 defeats, it's the 4:0 Stoke defeat, its the conceding 3 at home to Millwall. There is a trend developing and he can't affect a change. He has to go now before we get further into the mire and its too late.

• Like 3