IGNORED

The Liam Manning Support Thread!

REDOXO

A lot of negative threads this evening!

Like most of us I am totally fed up with conceding goals and looking awful while spending vast amounts of my own money. 

As much as I think this was a bad appointment, we are where we are. 

Most managers would expect 15 games, less if there are a run of defeats (unless their name is Lee Johnson and they are working for a bloke named Lansdown) 

A target of four points from the next three games would be enough to keep the bloke in a job a little longer and a chance to turn this around, but we are already in must get something from games territory. 

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 3

I'm not supporting LM as such but a minimum of 4 points from the next 2, perhaps even 8-10 from the next 4 would steady the ship. Or Paper over the cracks?

15 Games and he will have had give or take a full Calendar year in Charge, 2 Windows and indeed a full 46 League Games. I dunno whether the present trajectory merits that though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

7 minutes ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

The only support hes going to get is if he wears a jock strap

3 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

I opened this thread thinking it was a funding page for a whip round to pay his taxi back to Norfolk.

more......................., a bit of light hearted fun is whats needed tonight :clap:👍

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Like most of us I am totally fed up with conceding goals and looking awful while spending vast amounts of my own money. 

Most managers would expect 15 games, less if there are a run of defeats (unless their name is Lee Johnson and they are working for a bloke named Lansdown) 

A target of four points from the next three games would be enough to keep the bloke in a job a little longer and a chance to turn this around, but we are already in must get something from games territory. 

We are two points outside the relegation zone and have won one game out of six this season, think it’s deserved, but sadly, I am bothered that I am not bothered..!

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PFree said:

We are two points outside the relegation zone and have won one game out of six this season, think it’s deserved, but sadly, I am bothered that I am not bothered..!

I know it’s bloody infuriating! 

I watched the game knowing we were going to be crap and being proved right while not caring that much. 

Although as someone pointed out this thread is a bit tongue in cheek I do want to know what supporters think about how long he has, before he’s on gardening leave?

18 minutes ago, PFree said:

That's a good description.

' I am bothered, that I am not bothered '.

I think a lot feel that way.

Hence another Apathy thread. 

It just feels like we need a fresh start. 

New owner and board needed.

This lot have taken us so far. 

It's become stale, stagnant.

I don't know anyone who trusts them to make good decisions anymore. 

I know people say be careful what you wish for, but it's now boring. 

Edited by spudski
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Surprised to see so many replies on a support thread.

Start a thread with "how many of you are fed up with this cockwomble' and we would be on page 15 by now.

The lack of replies is telling!

Cockwomble. Love It

Great Uncle Bulgaria = SL

Tomsk = LM  

Bungo = BT

Orinoco = JL

Now that could catch on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No support for him at all! He chased Twine for three months and took him to go 2.0 down today to play him where he can influence the game. No excuses. We have massively regressed since he has two months with the players over the summer! He’s on borrowed time, as is his assistant who looks like a rabbit in headlights in every shot! To be honest I called at QPR away when appointed that these two were McInnes and Tony Docherty the second coming! I am right. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

I think it's too optimistic to think that LM can fix all of the problems with the way that the team are playing in one fell swoop. It's still very early days for this new squad. Some signs that he is focused on improving one issue at a time over the next 4-5 games would work for me. 

When you say problems, he inherited a team in 11th and with the 4th best defence.

What exactly do you mean.

• Like 8
  • Flames 3

25 minutes ago, sunningdalered said:

I think it's too optimistic to think that LM can fix all of the problems with the way that the team are playing in one fell swoop. It's still very early days for this new squad. Some signs that he is focused on improving one issue at a time over the next 4-5 games would work for me. 

But considering the main problems are “can’t score” and “can’t defend”, that means another 10 games of still losing if it takes 5 games to sort out each one. That presumes he can sort them, which I doubt!

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It's far too early to judge, our home form has been ok so let's see if that continues.

Unfortunately all football forums has it's fair share of idiots who call for the manager to be sacked after every defeat.

And those that announce as a messiah after a win.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

I just want to see a bit of balls from the guy.

None of this never too up or too down bollocks.

We’ve just been pasted, twice running…

I want to see an angry, determined to put this right Bristol City next Saturday, anything less and I’m fully in the get rid camp. So for now, I’ll support, but..

It’s  over to you, Liam.

Edited by AppyDAZE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sunningdalered said:

8 of the 11 who started today were here last season. At it's lowest, 7 of the players on the pitch at any one time were. What is this new squad of which you speak? There's a few new players who aren't used to the system perhaps, but he's had "time on the grass" to work on that, so one can only assume that he is struggling to get his point across. Either way there's a failure of management throughout the club.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

It's far too early to judge, our home form has been ok so let's see if that continues.

Unfortunately all football forums has it's fair share of idiots who call for the manager to be sacked after every defeat.

Played 3 at home, won 1 we tried our best to lose, drew 1 we were lucky not to lose and lost a cup game.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

not many replies yet are there? wheres all the usual NP haters??

Probably just me, but I find the premise behind this thread odd, and your particular take on it..well, to use a phrase that’s in vogue, just weird.

Why wouldn’t I support Manning? He’s in charge of the club I support. I want the club to do well, I want him to do well.

That doesn’t mean there’s not things that concern me (his apparent inability to influence games) or decisions I find baffling (playing with two number 10s).

But as long as he’s in charge I’ll support him. And I certainly won’t be wanting us to get beat 5-0 as, it appears, some people do. That’s not support to me.

But what I really don’t get is the notion that there’s some kind of causal link which means that if I support LM then that means I also must hate NP. How does that work? Can’t I support both NP and LM? Does that fact that you clearly supported NP mean that you’re a LM ‘hater’? It might explain a lot, but I just find that weird. 

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

I said I’d give him 10-12 games and so I’ll stand by him - for now. 
I have to say that I don’t like what we’ve been served up so far this season though; 2 x 3-0 back to back defeats, predictable subs, playing backwards all the time…….

I will see what (if anything) changes over the next 5-7 games. I’m not a fan of changing the manager every 5 minutes but if he can’t turn it around then he’ll have to go. 
It also frightens me who we might get as his replacement, given who is in charge of recruitment. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Mate shut up. People are just venting about the 2 awful results they have had to endure! People spend alot of time and money travelling the country supporting this side. They have every right to be very pissed.

• Like 1

Sacking NP was shocking.

Replacing NP with LM was a very big gamble.

Myself, I’ve never had faith in LM from day one, and nearly one year down the line my lack of faith in him has deepened.

He’s boring, not very inspiring, doesn’t seem to motivate players, has no idea how to change a game, and hasn’t taught the players how to manage games.

Seems to like playing players out of position too.

In my opinion we are going backwards as a club appointing a young unknown manager over an experienced manager.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, BCFC31 said:

Mate shut up. People are just venting about the 2 awful results they have had to endure! People spend alot of time and money travelling the country supporting this side. They have every right to be very pissed.

Whooooosh!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marksy said:

Watched his post match interview on YouTube and the bloke looked shell shocked. He ought to be able to turn it around with the players he’s got but lose next Saturday and it ain’t going to be a very nice atmosphere at Ashton Gate. 

At what point do we invade the pitch 

I so sympathise with you all about LM.

(I'm an Oxford United supporter, but I have many links with Brizzle, my Grampy lived in Coronation Rd and I was at Uni).

This prat came to us on a 3 year contract and he just upped and left, leaving our squad traumatised because it was just so sudden and he was gone before they knew. 

What comes around turns around, and I hope that you dispense with his services, because he is a cold and selfish fish. 

Thank God we've now got a sincere manager, but I wish you all well 🙏 

I always defend Manning when I think it's appropriate, but two 3-0 defeats in a row deserves an angry response.

However, I'm not arranging a tombstone for him quite yet.

We've now got four fixtures that give him a decent opportunity to get the season back on track.

3 of the 4 are home games (we've looked better at home), and the last two are below us in the table. 

If we can muster 4 points from the first 2 games, our season can go off in a different direction, and the crisis could be over for now. 

Naturally, I'm still open to the possibility that Oxford turns out to be a very personal car crash for Manning and that Cardiff is a doomsday defeat for yet another manager.

Lose to Oxford and it will definitely feel like the crisis is out of control.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mozo said:

We've now got four fixtures that give him a decent opportunity to get the season back on track.

That would be pertinent - if we weren’t in the position we are from a favourable start. We’ve played a woeful Hull, a poor (and injury ravaged) Millwall, Coventry, a promoted Derby team who are expected to struggle and a Blackburn team who had bugger all players two weeks before season start and we pumped 5-0 at the back end of last season.

And we’ve played well in probably most of the Coventry game and two 20 minute spells against Millwall, with pockets elsewhere.

Its favourable, but is it really any more favourable than what we’ve struggled with thus far?

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 10:56, italian dave said:

Probably just me, but I find the premise behind this thread odd, and your particular take on it..well, to use a phrase that’s in vogue, just weird.

Why wouldn’t I support Manning? He’s in charge of the club I support. I want the club to do well, I want him to do well.

That doesn’t mean there’s not things that concern me (his apparent inability to influence games) or decisions I find baffling (playing with two number 10s).

But as long as he’s in charge I’ll support him. And I certainly won’t be wanting us to get beat 5-0 as, it appears, some people do. That’s not support to me.

But what I really don’t get is the notion that there’s some kind of causal link which means that if I support LM then that means I also must hate NP. How does that work? Can’t I support both NP and LM? Does that fact that you clearly supported NP mean that you’re a LM ‘hater’? It might explain a lot, but I just find that weird. 

Agree, I find this notion of ‘wanting the manager to do poorly’ very odd. 

Why yes, I’d absolutely love to spend £1k+, give up near enough every Saturday for the next 9 months, in the hope that we’re absolutely horrible to watch and that the manager fails miserably. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That would be pertinent - if we weren’t in the position we are from a favourable start. We’ve played a woeful Hull, a poor (and injury ravaged) Millwall, Coventry, a promoted Derby team who are expected to struggle and a Blackburn team who had bigger all players two weeks before season start and we pumped 5-0 at the back end of last season.

And we’ve played well in probably most of the Coventry game and two 20 minute spells against Millwall, with pockets elsewhere.

Its favourable, but is it really any more favourable than what we’ve struggled with thus far?

Couldn’t believe that comment. We’ve had an easier start than we could have hoped for. 

I fear when we actually play someone half decent. 

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That would be pertinent - if we weren’t in the position we are from a favourable start. We’ve played a woeful Hull, a poor (and injury ravaged) Millwall, Coventry, a promoted Derby team who are expected to struggle and a Blackburn team who had bigger all players two weeks before season start and we pumped 5-0 at the back end of last season.

Derby and Blackburn will be fine, as an aside think a few underestimated the newly Promoted sides at Home this year plus Blackburn it was a particularly bad day for them at AG and not necessarily representative in a defensive context under Eustace.

When I say fine they won't be Top 6 but they won't be struggling too badly either. Lower midtable maybe.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Agree, I find this notion of ‘wanting the manager to do poorly’ very odd. 

Why yes, I’d absolutely love to spend £1k+, give up near enough every Saturday for the next 9 months, in the hope that we’re absolutely horrible to watch and that the manager fails miserably. Fingers crossed!

I don't think there's anyone who wants him to do poorly - we all want City to be successful and at the very least enjoyable to watch.

I take those who have said they hope this weekend will do for him as being willing to sacrifice a game or two to save our season.  And I completely get that. 

Your last paragraph, whilst being sarcastic, is exactly what you're getting right now.  Under Manning we are horrible to watch and the he is failing miserably.  There is also zero indication that with him here we are going to be anything other than horrible to watch and failing miserably.  The quicker he goes the better and if that means sacrificing a match or two to save the remaining 39/40 then I'm comfortable with that on the basis that I don't believe there can be anyone worse out there to take his place.

• Like 2

Admittedly I’m not a fan of Manning but back him as I do every manager whether I agree with the appointment or not especially with a full pre season and the first 10 games under his belt. But I’m getting last season de ja vu with snippets of promise coinciding with the lack of technical naivety.
It will interesting to see if will stubbornly stick or twist Saturday.
As it stands I will keep with my 10 match judgement, for now. 😄

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

That would be pertinent - if we weren’t in the position we are from a favourable start. We’ve played a woeful Hull, a poor (and injury ravaged) Millwall, Coventry, a promoted Derby team who are expected to struggle and a Blackburn team who had bugger all players two weeks before season start and we pumped 5-0 at the back end of last season.

You and I both know well from experience that form in football is changeable.

Just because we had 5 points from our first 3 games, and had long spells of dominance, it didn't mean that we would replicate that in the past two away games. 

And likewise, getting smashed twice on the bounce doesn't mean that we'll get smashed at home to Oxford.

I'm not telling you what's going to happen. I'm just explaining that I don't know at this stage if we're in a rut that we can't dig ourselves out of yet.

If you're certain that's the case, let's just watch that play out.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

I don't think there's anyone who wants him to do poorly - we all want City to be successful and at the very least enjoyable to watch.

I agree. However I think there is a very small cohort for whom the "kudos" of being right comes a close 2nd to 1stly wanting the manager to succeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

I take those who have said they hope this weekend will do for him as being willing to sacrifice a game or two to save our season.  And I completely get that. 

Your last paragraph, whilst being sarcastic, is exactly what you're getting right now.  Under Manning we are horrible to watch and the he is failing miserably.  There is also zero indication that with him here we are going to be anything other than horrible to watch and failing miserably.  The quicker he goes the better and if that means sacrificing a match or two to save the remaining 39/40 then I'm comfortable with that on the basis that I don't believe there can be anyone worse out there to take his place.

Just as well you weren’t around when Alan Dicks began his stint at the club!! Or, indeed, 2-3 years into it! 

Seriously, it’s about what you can control and influence though.

You (as far as I’m aware) and I have no say in whether or when or how any manager stays or goes. So why do people get so worked up about it - all the screaming ‘sack everybody’ headlines.

But more to the point of my original comment, what I absolutely don’t get is this nonsense logic that says that anyone who supports LM must be a ‘NP hater’. 

48 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Just as well you weren’t around when Alan Dicks began his stint at the club!! Or, indeed, 2-3 years into it! 

Seriously, it’s about what you can control and influence though.

You (as far as I’m aware) and I have no say in whether or when or how any manager stays or goes. So why do people get so worked up about it - all the screaming ‘sack everybody’ headlines.

But more to the point of my original comment, what I absolutely don’t get is this nonsense logic that says that anyone who supports LM must be a ‘NP hater’. 

Because we care for our club.  We want better.

And vice versa!!!  Don’t forget those that started the “cult of Nige” BS too!  Ain’t a one way street!

• Like 3

On 14/09/2024 at 18:32, REDOXO said:

By my reckoning he needs 10 points from the next 5 games because he will be facing some of the better teams in the next block of 10.  

I was expecting/planning for a loss at Blackburn, but looking to take points at Derby.  We're 3 points off where I think we should be at this point given the opposition we've faced.  Investment etc.

What worries me is the nature of the last two defeats and the way Millwall put 3 past us at home.  We feel leaky.

• Like 2

On 14/09/2024 at 18:32, REDOXO said:

We go again out on the grass this week to put it right .well ive heard this a few times lately 😄

2 hours ago, Reprored said:

Admittedly I’m not a fan of Manning but back him as I do every manager whether I agree with the appointment or not especially with a full pre season and the first 10 games under his belt. But I’m getting last season de ja vu with snippets of promise coinciding with the lack of technical naivety.
It will interesting to see if will stubbornly stick or twist Saturday.
As it stands I will keep with my 10 match judgement, for now. 😄

I think most will stick with the 10-12 game judgement. If we are still conceding for fun and not scoring for fun then there is a problem. He’s got 4-6 games to sort things out. It’s not like we are in the Tuesday, Saturday Tuesday period yet when there’s little you can do. The next international break will be make or break imo.

If the players like their holidays they better hope a new manager isn’t appointed at that stage……

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

There's a bit of a Mandela Effect regarding Alan Dicks.

I have little recollection of fans baying for his dismissal, (during his early days with us) in any noticeable way.

Would be glad to see some evidence of this.

Any newspaper clips/headlines?

Words were had. AD got the support of HD but not others. 

As for baying, times were different around the ground in the mid late sixties, much more of a low pitched grumble. 

Edited by REDOXO

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Words were had. AD got the support of HD but not others. 

As for baying, times were different around the ground in the mid late sixties, much more of a low pitched grumble. 

Not quite the thing to shout “Dicks Out” in those days!

• Haha 2