IGNORED

The Liam Manning Support Thread!

REDOXO

I support him 100% but that's because I want my club to do well. 

Do I doubt he will be a success here ? Yes I do. I said it last season too.

The style of football he wants us to play won't work and I stand by that. We've become a soft touch again.

You can only win more games than you lose at this level by playing a style of play that controls games with possession if you have PL quality players. We don't have that. 

Unfortunately to be successful in this League you have to play to the percentages a little bit, be streetsmart, be aggressive, physical and defend well as a team. We're none of that at present.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I support him 100% but that's because I want my club to do well. 

Do I doubt he will be a success here ? Yes I do. I said it last season too.

The style of football he wants us to play won't work and I stand by that. We've become a soft touch again.

You can only win more games than you lose at this level by playing a style of play that controls games with possession if you have PL quality players. We don't have that. 

Unfortunately to be successful in this League you have to play to the percentages a little bit, be streetsmart, be aggressive, physical and defend well as a team. We're none of that at present.

I suppose I would counter with Bielsa Leeds, Frank Brentford.

The latter certainly didn't have a top end wage bill but that said quite a few of their Championship players have still remained playing with them in the PL. Leeds too stepped up quite well while Bamford was fit and in form.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suppose I would counter with Bielsa Leeds, Frank Brentford.

The latter certainly didn't have a top end wage bill but that said quite a few of their Championship players have still remained playing with them in the PL. Leeds too stepped up quite well while Bamford was fit and in form.

Really good coaches, but also had their sides working very hard as a team defensively (pressing)

• Like 1

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah agree on that. Pressure on the ball is key.

We've done none of that in the last few games. Saturday was embarassing in this department. Yes Brentford and Leeds played attacking football but when they lost the ball they pressed hard to win it back, we don't do that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

We've done none of that in the last few games. Saturday was embarassing in this department. Yes Brentford and Leeds played attacking football but when they lost the ball they pressed hard to win it back, we don't do that!

It's funny really, well not funny but strange given what Manning said about preferring the Back 4 due to pressure on the ball..where is it exactly. @Davefevs often has excellent Stats including Pressing e.g., would be interesting to know..we looked lethargic though I thought at times. Soporific.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Agree, I find this notion of ‘wanting the manager to do poorly’ very odd. 

Why yes, I’d absolutely love to spend £1k+, give up near enough every Saturday for the next 9 months, in the hope that we’re absolutely horrible to watch and that the manager fails miserably. Fingers crossed!

Not what you’d hope for but it could well be what you get! 🤣

Even if we lose Saturday you might get a bit of booing then that’ll be it. I remember reading on here about boycotts, protests etc after Pearson was treated terribly by the board. Went to Ashton Gate the next game after his sacking, expecting a hostile atmosphere and……..nothing! You wouldn’t even have known Pearson had been sacked! The board know our fans are a soft touch these days so they just do what they want, blame everyone but themselves when things don’t go right and know they’ll be no real backlash from the punters! 

• Hmmm 1

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's funny really, well not funny but strange given what Manning said about preferring the Back 4 due to pressure on the ball..where is it exactly. @Davefevs often has excellent Stats including Pressing e.g., would be interesting to know..we looked lethargic though I thought at times. Soporific.

Here are the ranks:

Defensive Duels: 22nd

DD % success: 23rd

Aerial Duels: 10th

AD % success: 13th

Interceptions: 19th

Ball Losses: 24th (some of that will be because we have more possession, therefor more passes to give away)

Challenge Intensity: 7th (tackles / duels / interceptions per minute of opposition possession)

PPDA: 5th (passes allowed per defensive action)

Fouls: 15th (14 teams commit more fouls)

Shots Against: 15th (14 other teams have less against)

(in all cases 1st is the best / 24th the worst)

image.thumb.png.a609de02d3a1a2707faf9b0aad62f62f.png

What I call “Press Efficiency” - how many times do we recover the ball high-up versus the passes allowed.  We are beneath the blue line, suggested we aren’t as efficient as we should be, ie we press pretty hard, but we don’t win it back as often as we should.

image.thumb.png.c470a84983d818ce9c227df2258338bf.png

Match by Match - peak was Hull City (a)

image.thumb.png.0529dcf7b4104eccec87d45e989588a6.png

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Even if we lose Saturday you might get a bit of booing then that’ll be it. I remember reading on here about boycotts, protests etc after Pearson was treated terribly by the board. Went to Ashton Gate the next game after his sacking, expecting a hostile atmosphere and……..nothing! You wouldn’t even have known Pearson had been sacked! The board know our fans are a soft touch these days so they just do what they want, blame everyone but themselves when things don’t go right and know they’ll be no real backlash from the punters! 

Not sure about that, there was a lot staked on this.

The next Fans Forum was oddly subdued though in the circs. Manning may succeed or fail but the problems really lie higher up.

Falling attendances will make them sit up and take notice if we don't improve and soon.