IGNORED

Nigel Pearson was the best thing to happen to this club since Alan Dicks

Shauntaylor85

4 hours ago, Ian Pople said:

I couldn't agree more. For me, Pearson was the best manager we've ever had. I include Alan Dicks and Steve Cotterell in that comparison. NP inherited a bunch of shit, left over from Lee Johnsons time, he had no money to spend, blooded many young players into the team, and transferred us from a nice friendly little club, to a team that would run through brick walls for the manager. If he was supported financially, what could he have achieved? I've been watching City since 1964, I'm now just totally fed up, this puppet Manning is just another yes man like Lee Johnson. We have no true ambition.

Absolutely this.

• Flames 1

4 hours ago, YorksRed said:

I think for many of us it is not about Pearson the person in reality.  It’s about the fact that for the first time in many many years we actually had a grown-up, highly experienced and competent manager with a good track record, working alongside a competent, sensible CEO in Richard Gould who was building the club from the foundations up into a credible, sustainable, well run and professional outfit.  For too long we have gone through the same cycle burning funds and resulting in a rebuild being required (I.e. young inexperienced manager learning on the job and given money, followed by experienced man brought in to sort out the mess with nothing to spend who is then sacked, and repeat…).  

Finally, we looked like we could progress incrementally in the way that Brighton, Leicester, Brentford and Bournemouth have done, whilst passing us and leaving us behind.

For the first time in the 40 odd years that I have been supporting City I really thought we could reach the top division and ultimately perhaps stay there in the long term.

That’s why some of us keep going back to Pearson - it’s not really all about the person, it’s the opportunity that we lost which causes us to look back.

Good post. 

But it IS also about the person. Because he's a pretty good one. 

Shame about the ones in charge.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Clevedon Red said:

Overall the football was dog shit though. Think Cotts ranks way way above Pearson.

He spent £2m across three and a half years amd blooded more youngsters in one season than LJ or Cotts' reigns combined. Think I'll give him the benefit of the doubt when Cotts was able to spend more than that on one player (€2.6m on Kodjia).

At the very least we were tough to beat and he (eventually) got us over the linewith regards to not conceding in the last 10 minutes that had become common at the end of LJs terms and under Holden, which was a voodoo here for years eveninto NPs first 18 months - we had the 5th best defence last season on a bedrock that he helped setup.

Wasn't the best football granted - but we werent exactly blessed with technical players, and had to deal with Scott and Semenyo being sold, and replaced by Mehmeti and TGH. Neither came anywhere close to replicating the same raw pace/skill that had been lost. So again - recruitment, recruitment, recruitment.

12 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

I'll give you Cotts and Johnson(G) but Danny Wilson achieved nothing, even at L1 level, with us. Nice football but always the bridesmaid.

Love him, but Cotts spent more, essentially 2.5 times what NP had available. Gary was in charge when there was much less competition (and money) at this level, and still overspent on wages leading to the downfall under Millen/O'Driscoll. The latter two were the last time we had a set of circumnstances (wages reduction, no spending available) that matches those under NP, which provides more context imo.

15 hours ago, phantom said:

Funny how their is an excuse for everything with NP 

He still had a pretty decent squad at his disposal, and if he is the messiah so many make him out to be he did a pretty average job on the pitch 

100% this 

Ultimately - I get it. Phantom. I do. Was Pearson the best manager? - No. He could be rash and tactically he was limited. He was no Messiah. He was no Bielsa nor Rohl on the pitch or on the coaching ground. He needed Gould as intermediary as he was too honest and prickly.

However, countering your point re 'decent squad', the squad after the Scott and Semenyo sales was decimated balance-wise, it wasnt bad on paper, but we had no pace, dynacism, or playmaker - Tinnion's recruitment (TGH primarily replacing Scott) completely shafted him last season and between that and the contract I don't blame him a single iota for lamblasting the board openly - as its within his nature, don't think any of us were shocked as we were questioning it already as to why we couldnt give him another year at the time.

In spite, of the fact that he backed 'the project', he was invested, committed. He was honest as he could be, and he was a very good man manager - which massively helps.

I'd take average on the pitch now to be honest. Its better than whatever that was I've witnessed the last two games. We had two 3-0 defeats under NP in three(?) years. We've now had twice it in two weeks after having the fifth best defences last season. At least NP could impact a game and make brave decisions when needed - so if hes just average, what does that make Manning? - Who has way more options, no injury crisis, etc etc?

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

5 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Why only if we lose against Oxford?

1st home game since the defeats, if he cant get them going in that circumstances - whatever hope I have for this season will be essentailly extinguished.

I already didnt renew with a season ticket this season but stuck on for membership. Had the misfortune of going yesterday. Was going to go to Leeds - but now I (and three mates) cannot be bothered when we already have house moves and new families to take care of. Just not worth it.

May just sign on with a Downs League team as probably better for my wellbeing.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Super said:

This has been done to death. Christ why can people move on. Utterly pathetic 

Just ignore it then. It’s clear from the thread title what the subject matter is, and until his replacement starts getting results that are demonstrably better than his (the reason he was replaced) ,he’ll be referenced by people who didn’t want him gone. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Just ignore it then. It’s clear from the thread title what the subject matter is, and until his replacement starts getting results that are demonstrably better than his (the reason he was replaced) ,he’ll be referenced by people who didn’t want him gone. 

I'll put him on ignore instead GR. He's the only one who starts these threads after ever defeat.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

People, myself included, feel like venting. We spend money following the club - so not as ifs its illegal to comment, is it? - remembering a time when we were better run, or just comparing previous managers.

You're the one commenting on it already knowing whats its going to be about before even clicking in the thread. I can't fathom what the above adds to the discussion besides unnecassary insulting others who simply want - like eveyone on this board should - the best for the club we all support.

Its like me calling you pathetic for not questioning the running of the club - we both know it changes nothing, its just irrationally disparaging - better just not commenting at all. Not calling you pathetic to clarify - just illustrating the point. its just utterly pointless.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s nothing to do with not moving on.

Its about a bloke in charge who appears to be worse than the bloke who was sacked, despite being told he was the bloke to do better than the other bloke who was underachieving with less resources and undermined by not being given access to those resources.

If you can’t handle the discussion, scroll on, ignore the thread, or perhaps add your 2p, rather than shutting down others.

👏👏👏👏

22 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

I am a strong believer of this, he united the fans and if you look back at the highlights of the first number of games last season he had us playing some great football and we were solid at the back. The injuries were so unfortunate, he was treated appallingly. Had he been backed post sale of Scott things would be different now in my view. How we miss his leadership and football etiquette.  

Why Steve allowed himself to be influenced by one of the worst mistakes he made in his city tenure in the summer of 2004 I will never know! That technical director appointment has taken us back. 

Sorry........but that's just Silly?  IMHO

• Facepalm 1

On 14/09/2024 at 19:16, Shauntaylor85 said:

I am a strong believer of this, he united the fans and if you look back at the highlights of the first number of games last season he had us playing some great football and we were solid at the back. The injuries were so unfortunate, he was treated appallingly. Had he been backed post sale of Scott things would be different now in my view. How we miss his leadership and football etiquette.  

Why Steve allowed himself to be influenced by one of the worst mistakes he made in his city tenure in the summer of 2004 I will never know! That technical director appointment has taken us back. 

I think this is fairly extreme - Gary Johnson, Steve Cotterill and arguably, (without accounting for context) Lee Johnson achieved more on paper than Pearson.

I really liked Pearson and would've loved to have seen what he'd have built if given the time and backing he deserved, but his achievements (again, without accounting for context) aren't the best since Dicks.

47 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think this is fairly extreme - Gary Johnson, Steve Cotterill and arguably, (without accounting for context) Lee Johnson achieved more on paper than Pearson.

I really liked Pearson and would've loved to have seen what he'd have built if given the time and backing he deserved, but his achievements (again, without accounting for context) aren't the best since Dicks.

Much as I really loved Pearson, I tend to agree (bar LJ)…but I think with each it’s difficult to compare apples with apples.

Johnson, Cotterill and Pearson all were positive appointments in my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

He really wasn’t 

Christ the way some people are carrying on you’d think the bloke was some kind of messiah 

• Facepalm 5

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It’s nothing to do with not moving on.

Its about a bloke in charge who appears to be worse than the bloke who was sacked, despite being told he was the bloke to do better than the other bloke who was underachieving with less resources and undermined by not being given access to those resources.

If you can’t handle the discussion, scroll on, ignore the thread, or perhaps add your 2p, rather than shutting down others.

I think that sums it all up, if they wanted to sack Pearson that’s fine but you can’t use performance as an excuse when the new blokes worse.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

On 14/09/2024 at 20:43, TV Tom said:

But certain people are obsessed to the point of madness, it’s not as if we played champagne football under NP, it was unbelievably dire at times, some of the away performances were some of the worst I’ve ever seen in the season before he got sacked

Top of my head, WBA and Blackburn were 2 of the best I have seen (yes Reading and Birmingham were bad).

28 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

He really wasn’t 

Christ the way some people are carrying on you’d think the bloke was some kind of messiah 

Oh FFS. 

The same lame thing trotted out again. 

He wasn't a Messiah. Nor was he a naughty boy. 

He was a very good person that was taken in by charlatans.

You really don't have a ****ing clue.

• Like 8

There are many replies to this thread and havent read them all... but there are a couple of things that needs addressing....

There is no doubt whatsoever that Nigel Pearson worked wonders at the club, at times with his hands tied behind his back, doing an impossible task of getting a squad of overpaid misfits into a decent squad - more balanced than before, even if lacking depth and quality at times... but managed out the deadwood and brought in decent replacements at the same time as bringing through some quality talent from the academy.

For whatever reason, it seemed that Nige had a frosty relationship with certain people high up in the club... he never said who but it was clear something wasnt right.

Now - this is where it gets difficult. Nigel, at the end of his tenure, was very unwell. It was clear to see, he couldnt go anywhere without the aid of crutches and was constantly in pain. He is a very proud man, even stubborn... so didnt want to stand down. But, his health was seriously impacting his day to day ability to carry out 100% commitment to the cause.

Did the club want to get rid of him regardless of health? I truly dont know. But was he able to be committed to being the manager they needed who could carry out the role? I dont think he was.

The club made a tough decision, knowing it would not be popular. But they had to do something.

Nigel is a top manager and should have been able to walk into another job very easily. But he hasn't. Why? Because he has been concentrating on his health and quite rightly.

Nigel Pearson did an amazing job in circumstances he was not used to. But he bought into the club, the area, the culture and loved being part of the West Country. The job he did should never go unnoticed. If there is to be any success in the near future, he will have played a big part in making it possible. 

The narrative of "we'd be in a better place if they never got rid of Nige" needs to stop. Yes, we will never know. But we will never know for the right reasons. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Good. Glad you are. I simply stated people are seriously over egging Mr Pearson 

He did a steady job. To say he was the best thing to happen to this club since Alan Dicks is way over the top 

Maybe. 

But he is the best thing to happen in the Lansdown's tenure.

3 hours ago, Superjack said:

Why do you fear it?

It's exactly how it should be.

Well yes but I suppose it isn't pleasant the back and forth between us who appreciate and really praise NP and those who think it is time to draw a line but yeah I agree with you.

The Club have created this problem and a combination of winning football and clear progress is the only way to quell discontent.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well yes but I suppose it isn't pleasant the back and forth between us who appreciate and really praise NP and those who think it is time to draw a line but yeah I agree with you.

The Club have created this problem and a combination of winning football and clear progress is the only way to quell discontent.

It isn't pleasant. 

And the club (Lansdowns and the thick Geordie) have indeed created it.

I don't want the discontent quelled. 

I want them all gone. 

And so should anyone with our club at heart.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Super said:

They can't move on because the people responsible for Pearson not being here are still here and they're not learning from their mistakes. 

The reason you get these threads is because it's hard to move on when the club you love was going in the right direction and the ego of a few in power didn't like that they didn't know best. 

People don't move on when there is resentment and our fans have a lot of resentment after two decades of making the same mistakes over and over. 

You may be able to accept that but it's clear that many do not and it certainly doesn't make them pathetic, it shows they're passionate about wanting the best for the club they love. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand about that. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

2 hours ago, Tim S said:

There are many replies to this thread and havent read them all... but there are a couple of things that needs addressing....

There is no doubt whatsoever that Nigel Pearson worked wonders at the club, at times with his hands tied behind his back, doing an impossible task of getting a squad of overpaid misfits into a decent squad - more balanced than before, even if lacking depth and quality at times... but managed out the deadwood and brought in decent replacements at the same time as bringing through some quality talent from the academy.

For whatever reason, it seemed that Nige had a frosty relationship with certain people high up in the club... he never said who but it was clear something wasnt right.

Now - this is where it gets difficult. Nigel, at the end of his tenure, was very unwell. It was clear to see, he couldnt go anywhere without the aid of crutches and was constantly in pain. He is a very proud man, even stubborn... so didnt want to stand down. But, his health was seriously impacting his day to day ability to carry out 100% commitment to the cause.

Did the club want to get rid of him regardless of health? I truly dont know. But was he able to be committed to being the manager they needed who could carry out the role? I dont think he was.

The club made a tough decision, knowing it would not be popular. But they had to do something.

Nigel is a top manager and should have been able to walk into another job very easily. But he hasn't. Why? Because he has been concentrating on his health and quite rightly.

Nigel Pearson did an amazing job in circumstances he was not used to. But he bought into the club, the area, the culture and loved being part of the West Country. The job he did should never go unnoticed. If there is to be any success in the near future, he will have played a big part in making it possible. 

The narrative of "we'd be in a better place if they never got rid of Nige" needs to stop. Yes, we will never know. But we will never know for the right reasons. 

The only problem with this is that it wasn't just Nige who the got rid of. It was also Fleming, Euell and Rennie (plus Alexander before this) and then further down the line King and James. 

The not only wanted rid if Nige but they also wanted to erase any trace of him. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

Maybe. 

But he is the best thing to happen in the Lansdown's tenure.

I disagree 

I say both Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill pulled us from deeper depths then Pearson 

We were heading to League 2 before both those managers come in.

GJ never had an Academy to pluck players from either. 

Both managers steadied the ship and took us forward at a much quicker rate then Nigel Pearson did 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy082005 said:

I disagree 

I say both Gary Johnson and Steve Cotterill pulled us from deeper depths then Pearson 

Both managers steadied the ship and took us forward at a much quicker rate then Nigel Pearson did 

You are entitled to disagree, obviously.

Not belittling either achievement. 

What Pearson achieved with the hand he was (constantly) dealt was far greater. 

In my opinion.

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

I disagree 

Different context and I think we are talking semantics, I put all three as our best managers in the Lansdown era. I rate all three very highly. All three were strong characters and got more out of the sum of the parts. All three gave me a lot of enjoyment as a fan. I cannot compare in absolute terms, as for me all three define exactly what our club needs, have needed, and our owner struggles to deal with. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Top of my head, WBA and Blackburn were 2 of the best I have seen (yes Reading and Birmingham were bad).

The defeat and performance against a very poor Reading team was dreadful and particularly frustrating just a few days after an excellent victory at WBA, throw in the two defeats at the Welsh sides as well, that wasn't the same season as our capitulation at 10-man Coventry was it?  

7 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

Good. Glad you are. I simply stated people are seriously over egging Mr Pearson 

He did a steady job. To say he was the best thing to happen to this club since Alan Dicks is way over the top 

Without going through all the responses please tell me that someone didn't actually say that

On 14/09/2024 at 19:22, Shauntaylor85 said:

Google Bristol City goals 23/24 and watch the football we played in first number of games before the injury crisis. I am sorry but the football was better than Manning Dire Ball. 

When you say the first few games do you mean the first few home games when we were dreadful against a poor B'ham and the capitulation against Stoke when we managed to lose 3-2 after being 2-0 up ? 

7 hours ago, Tim S said:

Fair.

But has been mentioned below, his entire backroom team were removed to allow Manning to bring in his.

I’d actually prefer Euell & Fleming in charge now with Rennie still in his medical role if Nige is incapacitated than our current set up.

I get your point about his health & not going back but at 61 maybe he’s also had enough of management anyway?

• Like 3

On 14/09/2024 at 23:46, phantom said:

Not a chance, Cotts, Gary Johnson and Danny Wilson achieved more 

Great to see the NP obsession still rolling on though 

Danny Wilson?

Bottled league 1 every year despite having the best squad in the league?

fostered an environment for piss-ups and fights above professionalism?

achieved the grand sum of a flukey LDV win in Cardiff?

👀

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

40 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Danny Wilson?

Bottled league 1 every year despite having the best squad in the league?

fostered an environment for piss-ups and fights above professionalism?

achieved the grand sum of a flukey LDV win in Cardiff?

👀

We did play some very good football under Wilson, but for me unfortunately he will always be remembered for his poor decisions at the Millennium against Brighton  

16 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We did play some very good football under Wilson, but for me unfortunately he will always be remembered for his poor decisions at the Millennium against Brighton  

Yeah, of course. I'm just not having a failure who set us back an absolute age on any list of best managers, Let alone better than the bloke who kept us in this division when each time since Dicks that we've had to make cuts we've dropped down the leagues. 

Wilson got the best out of Scotty, but he also bought Lee Miller, Lee Matthews, Tony Dinning etc. I'd rather watch that team than this one, granted. But I'm not having it that he was a good manager, let alone one of the best we've had. He was a complete and utter failure. 

32 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Yeah, of course. I'm just not having a failure who set us back an absolute age on any list of best managers, Let alone better than the bloke who kept us in this division when each time since Dicks that we've had to make cuts we've dropped down the leagues. 

Wilson got the best out of Scotty, but he also bought Lee Miller, Lee Matthews, Tony Dinning etc. I'd rather watch that team than this one, granted. But I'm not having it that he was a good manager, let alone one of the best we've had. He was a complete and utter failure. 

Fair enough, he was definitely a marmite manager, i enjoyed his style of football but it was the right time for him to go after the disappointment at the Millennium  

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

When you say the first few games do you mean the first few home games when we were dreadful against a poor B'ham and the capitulation against Stoke when we managed to lose 3-2 after being 2-0 up ? 

The football we played in that Stoke game was so much better than anything we have seen under Manning, despite the result.

Funny how you haven't mentioned the thrashing we gave Plymouth and our decent away form during that run of games.

On 15/09/2024 at 00:53, Davefevs said:

Great post @YorksRed.

As I’ve just said in another post, Nige had laid the foundations for someone to continue his work as a minimum.  It is abundantly clear, the hierarchy had no clue what he’d actually built.

A better points per game last season to get our highest finish since 18/19. If that’s not continuing the foundations laid I don’t know what is, last two games have been horrific but every team has those spells 

4 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

The football we played in that Stoke game was so much better than anything we have seen under Manning, despite the result.

Funny how you haven't mentioned the thrashing we gave Plymouth and our decent away form during that run of games.

We did play well against Plymouth reserves, you do know we lost against Stoke don't you?

Funny you haven't mentioned the results against WHU, Forest, Leicester, Southampton. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, TV Tom said:

We did play well against Plymouth reserves, you do know we lost against Stoke don't you?

Funny you haven't mentioned the results against WHU, Forest, Leicester, Southampton. 

Lost after going 2-0 up against Stoke who gifted us both goals, I liked Pearson but my word this forum is criminally overrating him 

Just now, Charlie BCFC said:

Lost after going 2-0 up against Stoke who gifted us both goals, I liked Pearson but my word this forum is criminally overrating him 

The reverse fixture against Stoke under ‘the chosen one’ went well too didn’t it?

2 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

You're right, it's mental and i promised myself i wouldn't get involved in this nonsense this season after all the hysteria and over-reaction from last season, let it go !!! 

27 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

A better points per game last season to get our highest finish since 18/19. If that’s not continuing the foundations laid I don’t know what is, last two games have been horrific but every team has those spells 

Seriously?

What a fundamental misunderstanding of football. None of the foundations have been built upon. We've lost our defensive solidity in one pre-season under Manning,(Having lost it midseason before he reverted back to how we defended before he came in) we've sacrificed our academy to bring in overpriced players with a Championship ceiling and the club undid all the connection between itself and the fanbase within a day of sacking NP with it's inconsistent, illogical and idiotic nonsense. 

You can want to "move on" all you like, (For me, the reason why this clubs fanbase is so absolutely weak is that we let things slide so often. The sacking of Cotts and then throwing £50m at LJ should have spelt the end of any Lansdown being able to get into Ashton Gate without being screamed at, let alone the Holden nonsense or the defence of Ashton). But you don't need to lie or deliberately misrepresent the simplest and most obvious points. That's why these threads keep reappearing and gaining traction, people like yourself speak falsehoods that need to be corrected. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Malago said:

Sacking Pearson and replacing him with Manning was a reckless gamble.  Those responsible need to be held to account.

I see where you are coming from, but isn't almost every managerial appointment a reckless gamble??  If owners/DoFs were kicked out every time an appointment failed, there would be literally no-one left running football

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

8 hours ago, Superjack said:

It isn't pleasant. 

And the club (Lansdowns and the thick Geordie) have indeed created it.

I don't want the discontent quelled. 

I want them all gone. 

And so should anyone with our club at heart.

Given the context of your post, that's really quite a strong comment

Anyone at the club , apart from the three amigos, would have run through brick walls for Nige and his staff. 
Our current coach doesn’t think emotion belongs in football and has sucked the spirit out of the club whilst imitating antiquated Southgate style football without Harry Kane on the end of things. 

• Like 3

It is a great pity that Pearson never had the money or signings that have now been purchased for Manning. Most of his 20 + signings were, IMO, to keep us afloat. Sadly, we will never know if Pearson could have moved the team forward. Personally, I thought he was building and could see improvements. Sometimes it was a hard watch, but it is still a hard watch playing tippy tappy football without purpose.  What you can say is that Pearson did his job. He kept us up when financially we were in trouble and he stablised the club with Gould. He fixed a broken dressing room and he brought through young players. He clearly installed a belief that was not there and he told it like it is. He man-managed the players which appears to be more important now than actually coaching them.  To keep us up was important and he has laid foundations that another Manning could build on. Manning took over a much better situation than Pearson did. However, Manning's results are poor and he has not progressed the team according to his own statistics. For me, he will be gone by XMAS but he was set up to fail by the stupid soundbites sent out by the board. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Anyone at the club , apart from the three amigos, would have run through brick walls for Nige and his staff. 
Our current coach doesn’t think emotion belongs in football and has sucked the spirit out of the club whilst imitating antiquated Southgate style football without Harry Kane on the end of things. 

Eventually they did Major . But there was quite a few that went on the naughty step under NP before that happened. A few of the current under performers if I recall correctly(Pring,Vyner?)

It seems to me the cosy club/couldn't give a #@@@ attitude is slowly creeping back. 

Lack of technical ability fans will accept but lack of effort will not be tolerated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

1 hour ago, Charlie BCFC said:

So, that makes Manning just 0.0369 points per game (last season) better than a manager you don’t think is very good.  That’s not really a great recommendation is it? 😃😃😃

And that’s without context of things like resources available to each.

Imho, he’s not building on what Nige (plus Richard) built / rebuilt, but taking it in a different direction.  He was not the “continuity” choice at all, I’d hoped he was adaptable, versatile, etc, but he’s not.  He was the choice to take advantage of what had been done before him.  He isn’t taking advantage is he?  He’s now operating at a lower amount of points per game that’s his predecessor if you want to judge by that alone!!!

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Seriously?

What a fundamental misunderstanding of football. None of the foundations have been built upon. We've lost our defensive solidity in one pre-season under Manning,(Having lost it midseason before he reverted back to how we defended before he came in) we've sacrificed our academy to bring in overpriced players with a Championship ceiling and the club undid all the connection between itself and the fanbase within a day of sacking NP with it's inconsistent, illogical and idiotic nonsense. 

You can want to "move on" all you like, (For me, the reason why this clubs fanbase is so absolutely weak is that we let things slide so often. The sacking of Cotts and then throwing £50m at LJ should have spelt the end of any Lansdown being able to get into Ashton Gate without being screamed at, let alone the Holden nonsense or the defence of Ashton). But you don't need to lie or deliberately misrepresent the simplest and most obvious points. That's why these threads keep reappearing and gaining traction, people like yourself speak falsehoods that need to be corrected. 

Quite!

• Like 4

I’m one of the, give it a ‘10 games from start of season’ advocates- trying to be measured after significant recruitment during the summer.

Something Nige did that was really noticeable was around culture and setting high standards - he was very vocal on this over time , especially in his later days. that’s where his senior pro’s (and staff) helped.

There was real cohesion here that likely helped bring in young players and helped the team pull In the right direction- pretty sure the fans felt that too. Teams had to put a shift in to beat us. 

This aspect of leadership just doesn’t seem to be there with Manning underlined by the fragilities and lack of resilience in many of the teams performances since he took charge. We are gonna have rough times and how the players react to adversity is critical in this league . Big concern . 

• Like 3

I would have loved to have seen what NP could have done once the shackles were removed. I don't understand why we bring someone with NOs experience to pursue a root a root and branch review and then effectively tear it all up. We were building a solid Base with a good team spirit and now that all  seems to be crumbling and we are heading back to where we were before NP arrived.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1

3 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

We've lost our defensive solidity in one pre-season under Manning

That is probably the most worrying area - and one of the areas where NP improved us massively, turning Vyner into a top class player in the process

• Like 3

2 hours ago, red panda said:

I see where you are coming from, but isn't almost every managerial appointment a reckless gamble??  If owners/DoFs were kicked out every time an appointment failed, there would be literally no-one left running football

Given the context of your post, that's really quite a strong comment

Oh! I don't know we are the first club to be relegated in the middle of September, I am fuming sack the lot of them and throw in Mr P, Dave and that weird Mike Hertz and start again in League One, at least we can lose to the G*S and have a proper bed wetting all in.

Comparing managers doesn’t work without context. Cotts came in and arrested our tailspin into L2 then built a side that really walked the league. But we were a big fish in L1 whereas in the Championship we were quite insignificant.

If you’re going to compare with anyone to Nigel Pearson I’d say Terry Cooper is the closest thing. Both came into a cash strapped club and had to keep costs down with little room to strengthen the squad. Even then it’s unfair to compare them as it was a different time. These former managers are now history, but even so history is important in shaping the future but sadly our board ignore that history and seem destined to repeat the mistakes of the past.

We need someone with footballing knowledge on the board. This doesn’t need to be a former player but someone that understands what is required to take the club forward (although I wouldn’t mind Leroy Rosenior having some input). We need to move on from amateur hour in the boardroom improving the running of the club like Steve Lansdown has done with the ground and HPC. Until we have a professional structure to the club and learn from our mistakes this argument will be a part of a continual cycle of underperforming.

• Like 3
  • Robin 1