IGNORED

TINNION MUST GO NOW!

Galley is our king

We need a Warnock figure who knows something about the game to come in and show the Lansdowns where they keep going wrong. You wouldnt appoint a failed manager so why are they listening to Tinnion. He does a good job with our Academy so let him go back and do that and get someone in who can help the first team and manning who is obviously out of his depth at the moment

• Like 8

It just feels to me like the club is rudderless. Out of ideas and just drifting desperately hoping something (anything) will ‘turn up’. They cannot sack Manning because they said he was exactly what we needed. They cannot change the structure, because it’s their structure. The Jon Lansdown strategy has failed and he should do the honourable thing and stand down as chairman. Then an experienced replacement could be found who could do a root and branch review and restructure of the club. The reality is that it could even be managed with good grace at this time. Jon could us his ‘other interests’ and geography problems with him travelling as a reason. At the moment I think it would even be possible for him to stay on the board. But the way it’s going I don’t see the club deciding to act until either there is major supporter anger and action or we get dragged into a relegation fight. All very predictable and depressing. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Capman said:

It just feels to me like the club is rudderless. Out of ideas and just drifting desperately hoping something (anything) will ‘turn up’. They cannot sack Manning because they said he was exactly what we needed. They cannot change the structure, because it’s their structure. The Jon Lansdown strategy has failed and he should do the honourable thing and stand down as chairman. Then an experienced replacement could be found who could do a root and branch review and restructure of the club. The reality is that it could even be managed with good grace at this time. Jon could us his ‘other interests’ and geography problems with him travelling as a reason. At the moment I think it would even be possible for him to stay on the board. But the way it’s going I don’t see the club deciding to act until either there is major supporter anger and action or we get dragged into a relegation fight. All very predictable and depressing. 

Never happen . Read my post above 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Capman said:

Nothing lasts for ever. It will happen, just far later than it should 

To what end though . If we end up back in league one it will set the club back years . 20+ years and they haven’t learnt a bloody thing . 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, Capman said:

The Jon Lansdown strategy has failed and he should do the honourable thing and stand down as chairman. Then an experienced replacement could be found who could do a root and branch review and restructure of the club. The reality is that it could even be managed with good grace at this time. Jon could us his ‘other interests’ and geography problems with him travelling as a reason.

I believe there is a replacement that's very experienced and would step in. Unfortunately Daddy won't do it,!

• Hmmm 1

There’s no doubting Tinnion as a player was a legend, but let’s put that to one side.

Tinnion as a manager was shit.

Tinnion in his youth development role, loans manager etc, yea seems decent.

Tinnion in his current role, appears to be an utter car crash. Countless jibes and sarcastic posts on Twitter (see you in the prem!) he’s given away seemingly confidential contract information in interviews, he by all accounts is the one feeding Ian Gay info who regularly likes to spout transfer and injury news as fact (which cannot be good for our bargaining position or squad info, tiny margins all that). I wouldn’t rule him out having an account on here either - he definitely reads it.

He even spelt his job title wrong on LinkedIn?!

I don’t know if he’s having a hand in team selection, I doubt it to be honest but he appears out of his depth just on the stuff above IMO.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

We can point at JL but he's their for the duration.

We can point at Manning, but I have to question if someone else is pulling his strings.

I firmly believe that BT is the major problem here and needs to be sacked (for the second time). His term as manager was poor at best and his recruitment (who can even forget the "magnificent seven") was shocking. He took a team from Danny Wilson who came third 2 years running and didn't even reach the playoffs followed by poor displays and the defeat at Swansea. He didn't even have the guts to face the press after that and SL had to do it.

He had a job here as loans manager finding clubs for our academy players to go on loan. Players developed by the academy director Gary Probert.

Then loan and pathway manager, and now something far beyond his capability, IMHO.

Really good player for us, but no manager he ever played under made him captain, which normally signifies a leader.

Sack now, give Manning a run of games without BT there.

Bring in a proper CEO or a director of football and get this club we all love back on an even keel.

Missed the play offs by one point. Had Millen foisted on him by SL as assistant rather than being in an experienced no. 2.

BT is not the problem but I'm not saying he's the solution either B4 you accuse me of *rse licking.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Missed the play offs by one point. Had Millen foisted on him by SL as assistant rather than being in an experienced no. 2.

BT is not the problem but I'm not saying he's the solution either B4 you accuse me of *rse licking.

He is most definitely part of the problem

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Just as if.....

We will have to disagree over this. I see him as a problem, along with others to be fair.

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, frenchred said:

He is most definitely part of the problem

a very big part of the problem. needs someone who will make the lansdowns sit down and listen to how ITS GOING TO WORK, but that someone will have to be very special as in able to get along with them and know what they are doing running the club.  i dont know if that is even possible,  i honestly havent met a nicer bloke than Nige in my 50 odd years following city, if he couldnt get on with them, not many will.  we will end up with another actor when tinnion does get the boot but that wont be for a few managers, hes sucked his way right in there,nearly to the top.

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, westonred said:

We need a Warnock figure who knows something about the game to come in and show the Lansdowns where they keep going wrong. You wouldnt appoint a failed manager so why are they listening to Tinnion. He does a good job with our Academy so let him go back and do that and get someone in who can help the first team and manning who is obviously out of his depth at the moment

Agree but we did have someone - Nigel Pearson.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, fly in the air said:

I have to agree Tinnion is in the wrong job. we need an experienced DOF. he needs to go back to the Academy 

The question is often asked of players, “would they get into X team?” 

Which clubs in this division would appoint Tinnion as their Technical Director?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

45 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Agree but we did have someone - Nigel Pearson.

Indeed. In my time there have only been 3 strong appointments (I accept some had tough jobs and some may have put stuff in place, ie O'Driscoll) or some close but no cigar but GJ, Cotts and NP 3 good ones.

GJ- Had some great times on pitch and some atmosphere off it, but ran his course.

Cotts- Was a really sad decision to sack but we seemed to be spiralling a bit, board caused a lot of issues there.

Sacking NP though, great act of self-harm. Really thought his job was only half done here.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

I think there is a real misunderstanding about what Tinnions role within the club is. Especially from the likes of Ian Gay. 

These two articles may help with some understanding and help you decide if Brian has the necessary skills for the role..

Brian essentially runs the footballing operations of this club. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-key-responsibilities-club-technical-director-steven-dillon

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3991780

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Lansdown's and Tinnion really haven't a clue with running a club - Phil Alexander (CEO) could see straight through them and thought it better to leave after 8 months than have to put up with them spouting nonsense. Lansdown Junior needs to get back to his crayons. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

7 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

We’ve had that though . We had that with Pearson & what happened ? They can’t & wont accept critics at the club . They surround themselves with sycophants 

This. It's past the point of even debate now IMO, Lansdown needs to sell the football club, it has run it's course.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

We can point at Manning, but I have to question if someone else is pulling his strings.

I firmly believe that BT is the major problem here and needs to be sacked (for the second time). His term as manager was poor at best and his recruitment (who can even forget the "magnificent seven") was shocking. He took a team from Danny Wilson who came third 2 years running and didn't even reach the playoffs followed by poor displays and the defeat at Swansea. He didn't even have the guts to face the press after that and SL had to do it.

He had a job here as loans manager finding clubs for our academy players to go on loan. Players developed by the academy director Gary Probert.

Then loan and pathway manager, and now something far beyond his capability, IMHO.

Really good player for us, but no manager he ever played under made him captain, which normally signifies a leader.

Bring in a proper CEO or a director of football and get this club we all love back on an even keel.

Sassy Drama Queen GIF

• Facepalm 4

We won’t be a threat for anything more than a fluke promotion under the current ownership. Everything else doesn’t really matter. We do some things right but completely negate them with other decision making. I think we all realise this by now. You can dislike Tinnion but he didn’t put himself in his current position and I doubt any of us would turn down the promotion. 

12 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think we all realise this by now. You can dislike Tinnion but he didn’t put himself in his current position and I doubt any of us would turn down the promotion. 

Oh he absolutely did.

He then went further than that and got rid of Pearson so that many of Pearsons powers would transfer to him. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Are you suggesting he was pushed into it / didn’t really want it?

No I am saying, I am sure most people in his shoes would have accepted the job. Qualified or not, it’ll come with more money and he seems to be friendly with the owner and son so he’ll have some job security. So I don’t blame him for taking up the role even though he was successful in the academy and development role. 

However, I had not thought about it like that. I doubt it but guess it could be possible. Maybe more like we need someone we know and trust in the role because we won’t be sticking with NP. 

To me, we do some things right but it all seems disconnected. Recruitment, if you look at it individually, they are all exciting young athletic signings. However, they are pulled from everywhere. Now you have to mesh 3/4 different cultures into what was a pretty domestic side. From many different leagues and styles. I think it makes it difficult. I don’t feel there is a plan on how these players mix. 

5 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Oh he absolutely did.

He then went further than that and got rid of Pearson so that many of Pearsons powers would transfer to him. 

Possibly in a way if he had the ear of Lansdowns. Let’s not pretend he hadn’t built up credit with the academy stuff though. I also never believed we wanted NP longer than the 3 years we gave him. I was always under the belief he was here to see out the bad financial seasons. Once NP didn’t get that new deal last summer, his time was up imo. 

The point remains though. The ownership is naive, loyal or stupid. Probably all 3 mixed. Tinnion may have pushed it but in the end the decision is the Lansdowns and they repeatedly make wrong decisions with the odd good luck decision in there. The club will not change under current ownership. You can blame manning or tinnion but it is the Lansdowns holding the club back. Good intentions but horrible execution

I'm not convinced that getting rid of Brian Tinnion is the solution, although the last couple of performances suggest there certainly is a problem.

I think might we have to accept, after so many years of frustration, that the 'Bristol Sport' priority is building the portfolio - bricks and mortar, the 'Sporting Quarter', whilst doing no more than building the 'potential' of the component sports clubs. But not realising it. On the football side both the men's and women's teams could be sold to an investor with the 'potential' to go higher, yet always lack what is really needed to compete at the highest level. Just as long as neither are relegated I suspect that fits the Bristol Sport group objectives perfectly.

13 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I'm not convinced that getting rid of Brian Tinnion is the solution, although the last couple of performances suggest there certainly is a problem.

I think might we have to accept, after so many years of frustration, that the 'Bristol Sport' priority is building the portfolio - bricks and mortar, the 'Sporting Quarter', whilst doing no more than building the 'potential' of the component sports clubs. But not realising it. On the football side both the men's and women's teams could be sold to an investor with the 'potential' to go higher, yet always lack what is really needed to compete at the highest level. Just as long as neither are relegated I suspect that fits the Bristol Sport group objectives perfectly.

In fairness Revenue drives our destiny to some extent, especially medium term but...We really don't seem to be striving for excellence in all areas at all times.

An okay Championship side plus Premiership Rugby may suit the hierarchy just fine. We went quite big of course under Lee Johnson and Mark Ashton.

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Having taken over a team that had made the playoffs (semi final, then final) two years running. Not exactly “progress” was it?

Following season he ripped the side up & we were shit, culminating in the Swansea embarrassment.

I know you & Ian are matey with him but he was an abysmal manager, no one else has employed him after, have they? Even Holden & Millen got other gigs & totally out of his depth as a technical director.

He’s not the only problem but he is a major one.

• Like 15

8 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Definitely incorrect under ‘Experience’. The whole thing doesn’t scream professionalism tbh but I’d much rather focus on the job he’s doing. 

Oh lord you’re right, and his “about” section reads like a kid wrote it 🤣

Just remember the first time Tinnion went, he couldn't even face the press himself.

What sort of leadership is this?? SL had to it on that fateful September day.Screenshot_20240915-205858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d22108d16d023105a8f342977a0374c5.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205914_Chrome.thumb.jpg.206f408bc8de1a5bb22a940d1d353419.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205932_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4130073c033ee5ebdadadaaa6f2a8024.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205944_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c6488937bdead98045a6e8f6e2f33f8.jpgScreenshot_20240915-210001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ea6af9a3cf1c6907671f2121c4063053.jpg

Fancy this guy being Director of Football at a solid (on paper) Championship Club averaging 20k+ and a Revenue of £30-35m, perhaps even £35-40m??

Just unbelievable really.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Just remember the first time Tinnion went, he couldn't even face the press himself.

What sort of leadership is this?? SL had to it on that fateful September day.Screenshot_20240915-205858_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d22108d16d023105a8f342977a0374c5.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205914_Chrome.thumb.jpg.206f408bc8de1a5bb22a940d1d353419.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205932_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4130073c033ee5ebdadadaaa6f2a8024.jpgScreenshot_20240915-205944_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6c6488937bdead98045a6e8f6e2f33f8.jpgScreenshot_20240915-210001_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ea6af9a3cf1c6907671f2121c4063053.jpg

Fancy this guy being Director of Football at a solid (on paper) Championship Club averaging 20k+ and a Revenue of £30-35m, perhaps even £35-40m??

Only at Lansdown’s Bristol City

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This is shocking, shouldn't have had ANY job here, not anything!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Galley is our king said:

So he’s not a legend then ? 

The day Manning is sacked, Tinnion has to go as well. He has pulled all the strings on this.

But let’s not forget, it’s SL who has allowed this to happen, plain and simple. He doesn’t care about success for this club. He has his interests in too many other things, hence letting his son and his mate run things.

In any other business they would have been out the door a long time ago.

• Like 5
  • Flames 2

5 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We won’t be a threat for anything more than a fluke promotion under the current ownership. Everything else doesn’t really matter. We do some things right but completely negate them with other decision making. I think we all realise this by now. You can dislike Tinnion but he didn’t put himself in his current position and I doubt any of us would turn down the promotion. 

Didn't put himself... eh?

He signed the dotted line, and then proceeded to big himself up on the socials.

So he's either a complete fu**wit. Or a completely delirious narcissist. Past is the past. The future is him out of the door. Simple as.

• Flames 5

3 hours ago, Fuber said:

Didn't put himself... eh?

He signed the dotted line, and then proceeded to big himself up on the socials.

So he's either a complete fu**wit. Or a completely delirious narcissist. Past is the past. The future is him out of the door. Simple as.

I’m not disputing any of that. To me it does not matter at all. Of course you big yourself up and think you can do the job. Again what is the pay gap between what he was doing and what he is doing now? I would certainly take the job. So i don’t blame him for doing so or even thinking he would be good at it. We all think we would. 

The point remains then. There are a couple of people higher up who sign off on these moves. Tinnion and Holden two big examples. Not qualified for the job but would be crazy for their careers not to take the job offered. The two offering the deals are the problem. Tinnion is a symptom of Bristol City’s lack of success. The Lansdown’s are the disease.

Please excuse the harsh analogy but i can’t find words to explain it better. All the worst things to happen to the club in last 10 championship seasons involve poor decisions on a Lansdown’s behalf. Starting with Gray and Maguire fiascos. Allowing Ashton to spend in an unsustainable way. The hiring of Holden. The handling of NP. The hiring of Tinnion. These bad judgements seem to pop up every couple of seasons and set us back at progress made. 

So we can hate LJ or Holden or Tinnion. In the end, they aren’t the real problem at BCFC. 

And this doesn’t mean the Lansdown’s are evil.  Steve has done wonderful things for the club. He means well but he never, imo, backs the right people. NP was never my favourite but he did some good things. I would not have begrudged him a window of backing. Much like LM, I would have expected good things. So, it looks bad from a SL view. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’m not disputing any of that. To me it does not matter at all. Of course you big yourself up and think you can do the job. Again what is the pay gap between what he was doing and what he is doing now? I would certainly take the job. So i don’t blame him for doing so or even thinking he would be good at it. We all think we would. 

The point remains then. There are a couple of people higher up who sign off on these moves. Tinnion and Holden two big examples. Not qualified for the job but would be crazy for their careers not to take the job offered. The two offering the deals are the problem. Tinnion is a symptom of Bristol City’s lack of success. The Lansdown’s are the disease.

Please excuse the harsh analogy but i can’t find words to explain it better. All the worst things to happen to the club in last 10 championship seasons involve poor decisions on a Lansdown’s behalf. Starting with Gray and Maguire fiascos. Allowing Ashton to spend in an unsustainable way. The hiring of Holden. The handling of NP. The hiring of Tinnion. These bad judgements seem to pop up every couple of seasons and set us back at progress made. 

So we can hate LJ or Holden or Tinnion. In the end, they aren’t the real problem at BCFC. 

And this doesn’t mean the Lansdown’s are evil.  Steve has done wonderful things for the club. He means well but he never, imo, backs the right people. NP was never my favourite but he did some good things. I would not have begrudged him a window of backing. Much like LM, I would have expected good things. So, it looks bad from a SL view. 

Tinnion is as much the issue as the above, when it's him becoming head of football operations that directly led to NP getting the sack.

Not disagreeing that the Lansdowns are not the root cause. But the relationship between them and Tinns causes as much if not more damage.

For all we shit on SL and JL - they nailed the Gould appointment.

On 15/09/2024 at 10:08, Galley is our king said:

I thought Tinnion had and has nothing to do with Liam Manning. Manning is answerable only to the board which in this case is John and Steve. I thought this was confirmed by Manning himself when he was asked about it. The root problems at the club are within the ownership. They dont want to employ people who "tell is as it is". When Pearson told them, they didnt like it. Others have done the same.  For so much good that has been done by SL, it seems that we shoot ourselves in the foot just when we are on the cusp of something. This is the problem when you have non-footballing people running the club by what appears to be a diktat.  If you look at the work that Tinnion has led, then actually he has done a pretty good job. We had no players really coming through before Tinnion's appointment. OK, some of his soundbites are silly but this is really him playing to the board.  The problems are not of his doing and have gone on since SL's tenure. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

I thought Tinnion had and has nothing to do with Liam Manning. Manning is answerable only to the board which in this case is John and Steve. I thought this was confirmed by Manning himself when he was asked about it. The root problems at the club are within the ownership. They dont want to employ people who "tell is as it is". When Pearson told them, they didnt like it. Others have done the same.  For so much good that has been done by SL, it seems that we shoot ourselves in the foot just when we are on the cusp of something. This is the problem when you have non-footballing people running the club by what appears to be a diktat.  If you look at the work that Tinnion has led, then actually he has done a pretty good job. We had no players really coming through before Tinnion's appointment. OK, some of his soundbites are silly but this is really him playing to the board.  The problems are not of his doing and have gone on since SL's tenure. 

Just out of interest, what exactly was it that NP told the board they didn’t like and when? 

19 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think there is a real misunderstanding about what Tinnions role within the club is. Especially from the likes of Ian Gay. 

These two articles may help with some understanding and help you decide if Brian has the necessary skills for the role..

Brian essentially runs the footballing operations of this club. 

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/10-key-responsibilities-club-technical-director-steven-dillon

https://www.premierleague.com/news/3991780

Just read the 10 key responsibilities article. 100% BT is not up to this role. He shows his lack of intellect via spelling mistakes or failure to understand spell check. His attitude to social media shows he simply cannot stand the heat when things go wrong or deliver a consistent and credible message in normal times. This appointment reminds me of when a boss retires and appoints his favourite team member rather than his most able. Its cruel to the promoted guy as he will not cope and cruel to the business because the boss did not have the balls to make the right decision. Things are so bad because SL clearly wants to sell the club but is not prepared to accept that due to the complexity of Bristol Sport nobody wants to buy it. He is too proud to accept this and restructure and his son lacks the aptitude to do what is needed. This is an expensive hobby gone sour and I really struggle to see how it can change whilst SL is alive.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

15 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

Steve is not on the board

3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Just out of interest, what exactly was it that NP told the board they didn’t like and when? 

I recall him doing at least 3 interviews where he said something along the following lines - 1. The club is amateur and its approach was mickey mouse. 2. He called John Lansdown delusional for saying we were top 6. 3. He called out the attitude and culture of the club almost constantly. And finally he had a very public dig at the board over Alex Scott sale and his contractual situation.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

We need an experienced football man on the board to show the club the right way to go. The 'chuck money' at it approach hasn't worked for the Lansdowns, nor has thier list of terrible decisions they have made Holden, Coppell, David James, sacking Cotterill to get in LJ, not emplying a decent DOF the list of cock ups goes on. Lets get an experienced guy in to show the club the way forward

Edited by westonred