IGNORED

TINNION MUST GO NOW!

Galley is our king

11 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

I recall him doing at least 3 interviews where he said something along the following lines - 1. The club is amateur and its approach was mickey mouse. 2. He called John Lansdown delusional for saying we were top 6. 3. He called out the attitude and culture of the club almost constantly. And finally he had a very public dig at the board over Alex Scott sale and his contractual situation.  

Cheers - i remember a pop of sorts at JL after a Swansea away game once! I have to admit that i rarely listen to manager interviews these days as they are so boring and full of cliches. 

21 minutes ago, TheJudge07 said:

I recall him doing at least 3 interviews where he said something along the following lines - 1. The club is amateur and its approach was mickey mouse. 2. He called John Lansdown delusional for saying we were top 6. 3. He called out the attitude and culture of the club almost constantly. And finally he had a very public dig at the board over Alex Scott sale and his contractual situation.  

One that sticks in the mind for me was when he labelled our prior strategy bonkers 

It might be conflating one if you're but basically the strategy of selling your best to reinvest and chase Promotion. That was in February 2022.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/nigel-pearson-jon-lansdown-bristol-6676062

I still accept some may have needed to be sold but for us to make it an express policy as we did...

• Flames 1

24 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Steve is not on the board

if you think he isn't behind or impacts every decision made, i think you are mistaken.

He has moved himself out of the public eye, but is a man incapable of delegating to people who are actually qualified to run the club. instead he has placed his incompetent son and some anonymous figures into a sham of a board. Puppets.

He has driven this club into a corner, his terrible financial management has resulted in his endless 'handouts' being needed, thats no-one else's fault but his given the 20+ years he has been running things. We need to ask why, rather than doff our caps at his apparent 'largesse'

it's not the middle ages anymore

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

18 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Cheers - i remember a pop of sorts at JL after a Swansea away game once! I have to admit that i rarely listen to manager interviews these days as they are so boring and full of cliches. 

If you ever suffer from insomnia then chuck one of Dumblebore's interviews on...that'll sort you right out.

3 minutes ago, Antman said:

if you think he isn't behind or impacts every decision made, i think you are mistaken.

He has moved himself out of the public eye, but is a man incapable of delegating to people who are actually qualified to run the club. instead he has placed his incompetent son and some anonymous figures into a sham of a board. Puppets.

He has driven this club into a corner, his terrible financial management has resulted in his endless 'handouts' being needed, thats no-one else's fault but his given the 20+ years he has been running things. We need to ask why, rather than doff our caps at his apparent 'largesse'

Come on, some of that is utter tosh, this club is not in a corner, we were able to spend roughly £10million during the summer.

We are still a developing and growing Championship club, who for some bizarre reason have recruited a League One manager with no experience.

Without that mistake, City are looking good as a stable club, slowly growing each season, and the fanbase growing along with it.

5 minutes ago, Antman said:

The only bit I would say is that yes some of his decision making contributed to the amounts he has had to put in but Cash Deficits in the Championship, filled by Transfer Sales, external Financing or Owner Input are also very common. 

Bit of both basically, bit of him and bit of Environment (IMO).

Oh man, not the Tinnion bashing again.

Yes, we all know he's not experienced enough for his role, or seemingly good enough for the position, but drudging up his past as a failed manager is pathetic and not called for.

It's not relevant at all today.

Should I mention his winning FA Cup goal against Liverpool that secured his status as a club legend?  No, because it has no relevance, nor does being defeated 7-1 by Swansea have any relevance.

• Like 1

On 15/09/2024 at 10:08, Galley is our king said:

We can point at JL but he's their for the duration.

We can point at Manning, but I have to question if someone else is pulling his strings.

I firmly believe that BT is the major problem here and needs to be sacked (for the second time). His term as manager was poor at best and his recruitment (who can even forget the "magnificent seven") was shocking. He took a team from Danny Wilson who came third 2 years running and didn't even reach the playoffs followed by poor displays and the defeat at Swansea. He didn't even have the guts to face the press after that and SL had to do it.

He had a job here as loans manager finding clubs for our academy players to go on loan. Players developed by the academy director Gary Probert.

Then loan and pathway manager, and now something far beyond his capability, IMHO.

Really good player for us, but no manager he ever played under made him captain, which normally signifies a leader.

Sack now, give Manning a run of games without BT there.

Bring in a proper CEO or a director of football and get this club we all love back on an even keel.

He’s he the one having all the say, and deciding our transfer targets and signings then?

6 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Come on, some of that is utter tosh, this club is not in a corner, we were able to spend roughly £10million during the summer.

We are still a developing and growing Championship club, who for some bizarre reason have recruited a League One manager with no experience.

Without that mistake, City are looking good as a stable club, slowly growing each season, and the fanbase growing along with it.

cant agree. but thats opinions for you.

it will be interesting to see how the players bought increase or decrease in value. we have historically burnt a lot of money on bad choices  - players and certainly managers (the list there under SL is endless)

the money spent could have been better spent IMO if we had an owner who knew what he was doing or at least hired people who knew.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Where is the forward planning. We will pay for the £10 million spend when it comes back to bite us in 2/3 years time. We gave over valued and unproven players 4 year contracts. Madness.

1 hour ago, Antman said:

Oh I totally agree with everything you say!

The quicker they sale up the better, but as a technicality he isn't on the board!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheJudge07 said:

I thought Tinnion had and has nothing to do with Liam Manning. Manning is answerable only to the board which in this case is John and Steve.

This is completely incorrect. 

Brian Tinnion is the Head of all footballing operations and responsible for overseeing all footballing decisions. 

In any other buisness staff under a head of department are answerable to the head of department and this is no different. 

Manning is directly answersble to Tinnion on a day to day basis. 

Brian Tinnion was the one who made all the moves to get rid of Pearson and Liam Manning was his recommendation. Contact was allegedly made with Manning whilst NP was still here.

Tinnion is the link between the board and Manning and his coaching staff. 

Minus the financial stuff which Tom Rawcliffe is responsible for Tinnion is in effect the CEO (the club said they see him as a future ceo) 

The waters get a bit muddied because we have a collaborative approach to transfers where everyone on the board etc give their input. 

But ultimately it looks like this

Steve Lansdown - Owner

Board of Directors - Jon Lansdown (chairman) Gavin Marshall (group ceo)

Brian Tinnion (technical director) Tom Rawcliffe (Chief operating officer) 

Ultimately Manning is answerable to those at the top when it concerns things like performance but day to day he is directly answersble to Brian Tinnion. 

It's Brian Tinnion that is directly answerable to the board. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes he is.

@headhunter - you might want to update Ian!

Shall we have that really fun debate about which of the four companies constitute the "Club"?

It's all four of them according to Rawcliffe himself btw (and I agree).

I also have a pet legal theory that were it ever to be tested in court it would be perfectly arguable that Tinnion fulfils the role of a board director in many ways and is a de facto board member. But that's really niche and theoretical and I've already said too much.

Edited by ExiledAjax

7 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Shall we have that really fun debate about which of the four companies constitute the "Club"?

It's all four of them according to Rawcliffe himself btw (and I agree).

I also have a pet legal theory that were it ever to be tested in court it would be perfectly arguable that Tinnion fulfils the role of a board director in many ways and is a de facto board member. But that's really niche and theoretical and I've already said too much.

BCFC, AG, BCFCW and some old BCFC version?

Now you’re confusing me?

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

@W-S-M Seagull Tom Rawcliffe made Director on 1st July:

image.thumb.png.54a3e3d01e4db45b276121b8dc013362.png

Does that mean he’s on the board, then @ExiledAjax?

Thanks Dave. I originally put him down as a board member but I couldn't quite recall hearing it so I played it safe. 

I am interested as to why people are so keen to try and remove Tinnion from any responsibility regarding Manning. 

Is it possible that certain people feel as if we are in end game territory with regards to Manning so are maybe trying to remove themselves from any blame to protect their own positions? That's how it looks. 

36 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Thanks Dave. I originally put him down as a board member but I couldn't quite recall hearing it so I played it safe. 

I am interested as to why people are so keen to try and remove Tinnion from any responsibility regarding Manning. 

Is it possible that certain people feel as if we are in end game territory with regards to Manning so are maybe trying to remove themselves from any blame to protect their own positions? That's how it looks. 

I don’t get it either.  The only bloke in the hierarchy with football “skills”…but he wasn’t involved.  Yeah, right!!!

I don’t even think we are in end game territory with LM. That could be hastened on, but can go the other way just as quickly if it really is results-only.  As I said the other day, I think the margin of tolerance of what the hierarchy think is him doing fine is quite wide.

• Like 2

Tinnion - as detrimental as his influence is, is merely a symptom of the disease. No sense in treating the symptoms alone.

It all comes back to the Lansdowns. They s*** the bed with every footballing decision they’ve made.

Sack Cotts, bring in LJ - ultimately failed.

Sack LJ, install his No.2 - unmitigated disaster.

Hire Pearson, finally look like they’ve learned something - nope, tie his hands behind his back, let Tinnion interfere and sack him as he’s still working on the unenviable task of clearing up the mess left from mismanagement years before.

Take a massive gamble in bringing in another relatively inexperienced (certainly at Championship level) manager - signs aren’t good at this point.

At what point does the buck stop at the top?

• Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I don’t get it either.  The only bloke in the hierarchy with football “skills”…but he wasn’t involved.  Yeah, right!!!

I don’t even think we are in end game territory with LM. That could be hastened on, but can go the other way just as quickly if it really is results-only.  As I said the other day, I think the margin of tolerance of what the hierarchy think is him doing fine is quite wide.

Do you have a spreadsheet with all the whoppers Ian has come out with? 🤣🤣🤣

I think by end game territory I meant that lose to Oxford and it may be difficult for him to survive that. 

I think this is going to go one of two ways, we either back him like we did when LJ went on his losing runs, or he gets cut lose and thrown under the bus by those responsible for bringing him here. 

Because of the ruthlessness of those involved then I edge towards the latter. 

I'd have sacked last season, numerous times however I could see the rationale of giving him pre season and a budget (although I disagreed) he's had everything and more so I'm not sure there is the same amount of patience available to him as there was last season. 

18 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Do you have a spreadsheet with all the whoppers Ian has come out with? 🤣🤣🤣

I think by end game territory I meant that lose to Oxford and it may be difficult for him to survive that. 

I think this is going to go one of two ways, we either back him like we did when LJ went on his losing runs, or he gets cut lose and thrown under the bus by those responsible for bringing him here. 

Because of the ruthlessness of those involved then I edge towards the latter. 

I'd have sacked last season, numerous times however I could see the rationale of giving him pre season and a budget (although I disagreed) he's had everything and more so I'm not sure there is the same amount of patience available to him as there was last season. 

Nah, just a decent memory!  My podcast app has a BS buzzer built-in! 😉😉😉

I dunno about Oxford, ie how big a bearing it has on “end-game”.  I’m really a one game at a time, so I’ll wait til post-Oxford.  I’m pretty confident that SL doesn’t like to made to look a fool, and Oxford fans could play their part in that.  But I’m hoping it’s them with egg on their faces and we take the points and we can take the piss out of Des Buckingham.

I think he’s already been backed.

As you know, I had my view last season.  I’m not sure I’ve seen anything / much to change it overall.  I remain unconvinced.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Nah, just a decent memory!  My podcast app has a BS buzzer built-in! 😉😉😉

I dunno about Oxford, ie how big a bearing it has on “end-game”.  I’m really a one game at a time, so I’ll wait til post-Oxford.  I’m pretty confident that SL doesn’t like to made to look a fool, and Oxford fans could play their part in that.  But I’m hoping it’s them with egg on their faces and we take the points and we can take the piss out of Des Buckingham.

I think he’s already been backed.

As you know, I had my view last season.  I’m not sure I’ve seen anything / much to change it overall.  I remain unconvinced.

If we lose at Home to Oxford I'd have thought SL would be rather embarrassed but who knows.

That's not a reflection on Oxford perse, more the context.

Think we are all clear here we want to be succcessip 

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If we lose at Home to Oxford I'd have thought SL would be rather embarrassed but who knows.

We have to win and also play well. Manning needs to show some ambition. If we lose by having a go and playing Twine central so be it. Enough is enough after last two games. Coventry wasn’t great either in my view 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, that would be extremely bad - and not just because we nicked their manager. It would also mean we had been beaten by two teams who were in L1 last season. Never a good sign!

EDIT: SL wouldn’t be embarrassed though, he’s never short of a scapegoat.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 1

Just now, WessexPest said:

Yes, that would be extremely bad - and not just because we nicked their manager. It would also mean we had been beaten by two teams who were in L1 last season. Never a good sign!

It will also be our biggest attendance of the season. The marquee game to get fans of the Future enthused or so we thought..22k tickets sold as of last Tuesday. (That's 22k total ie including Oxford fans but still).

That's more what I'm getting at when I talk of the Club being embarrassed.

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It will also be our biggest attendance of the season. The marquee game to get fans of the Future enthused or so we thought..22k tickets sold as of last Tuesday. (That's 22k total ie including Oxford fans but still).

That's more what I'm getting at when I talk of the Club being embarrassed.

Must win. Stop the square pegs in round holes! 

• Like 1