IGNORED

OSIB #254: Post Blackburn

petehinton

17 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I think all three main pods will be broadly aligned this weekend.

Have any of you been invited on Radio Bristol tomorrow. Not that I think anyone should be reliving that experience for a third time!

Yes I have, but going to struggle to do much SOTC stuff over the next few months due to work. Probably no bad thing!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

Whoever’s picking the team it’s not working, no matter who’s friends with who in the hierarchy surely someone will have to take a decision sooner or later? As been pointed out repeatedly here it’s the decision making above that’s held the club back for two decades now! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Surely, when Manning made it clear Twine was his sign at any cost player, then he would have outlined exactly where he would play Twine? 

Perhaps the comments were more aimed at ‘Twine has to play, how you fit him in is your problem’ ? 

51 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Surely, when Manning made it clear Twine was his sign at any cost player, then he would have outlined exactly where he would play Twine? 

Yes, and I can’t imagine that answer is how he’s using him now. Hence my hunch as to there being a ‘what’s going on here then’ type comments that are probably heading his way 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, petehinton said:

Is now out in the usual places. Me, @Davefevs and Paul (exiled Robin) discuss yesterdays shambles. 

Links to listen:

https://linktr.ee/osibpodcast

Enjoy(!)

Loved this.

I don’t think our summer recruitment was good. I think it was high risk, a speculative gamble. And. Spending £4m on Twine is a joke. We ALREADY had, Bird, Stokes AND Earthy in the building. We’re now in a position with 3 number tens and we’re trying to play two of them. 😆. We’ve recruited to score goals, we aren’t, and at the same time @Davefevs, you’ve pointed it out before, our defence is rubbish.

I don’t think Manning can turn this around. We may have a good run before Xmas - I hope we do. But he’ll need to change stuff and we already know that he’s a rigid operator, so I’m not expecting much.

The mess we are about to end up ALL could have been avoided. All of it.

One year ago today we had it all in place. The Lansdowns have no idea. Literally they went, “oh, we seem to have a great footballing structure at the club. mmm. I think we have a top 6 squad.” The manager went public and said “you’re smoking very hallucinogenic substances”. They went “ooohhh. 👜. “We’d better fire him because my ego is bruised.”

They’re absolute babies. 

On to Oxford. I’m expecting us to shut up shop. And lose 1-0. And then we’ll be a little be closer to the mess.

• Like 8
  • Robin 1

23 minutes ago, DaveInSA said:

Loved this.

I don’t think our summer recruitment was good. I think it was high risk, a speculative gamble. And. Spending £4m on Twine is a joke. We ALREADY had, Bird, Stokes AND Earthy in the building. We’re now in a position with 3 number tens and we’re trying to play two of them. 😆. We’ve recruited to score goals, we aren’t, and at the same time @Davefevs, you’ve pointed it out before, our defence is rubbish.

I don’t think Manning can turn this around. We may have a good run before Xmas - I hope we do. But he’ll need to change stuff and we already know that he’s a rigid operator, so I’m not expecting much.

One year ago today we had it all in place. The Lansdowns have no idea. Literally they went, “oh, we seem to have a great footballing structure at the club. mmm. I think we have a top 6 squad.” The manager went public and said “you’re smoking very hallucinogenic substances”. They went “ooohhh. 👜. “We’d better fire him because my ego is bruised.”

They’re absolute babies. 

On to Oxford. I’m expecting us to shut up shop. And lose 1-0. And then we’ll be a little be closer to the mess.

Bird is NOT a 10!

42 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Bird is NOT a 10!

Agree.  That is the annoying thing.  Player with attacking qualities, must be a 10!!!!

image.thumb.png.17c42988395774396c4bdf9fa640bd90.png

Was Pirlo a 10?  Was he hell!

Bird is a centre midfielder.  We can call him a 6 or an 8 if we like, but he is best suited being the one distributing the ball into the “forwards”, or building attacking phases from the back.

I thought him and Knight looked really good together preseason, if only because they knew each other’s games.

Just get him back into midfield.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Great podcast, enjoyed that and pretty much summed up what I saw on Saturday. Whilst I agree with the tactical observations on Manning (playing Twine out of position, reacting only when we concede etc..) the players body language and effort level was pretty bad from the start, can’t get my head around why tbh, lack of belief in what they’re being asked to do? Don’t know really

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

23 hours ago, DaveInSA said:

Loved this.

They’re absolute babies. 

George on NTT20 on their latest ep seems fairly confident that a win for them (Oxford) on Saturday, and they could well be getting two managers sacked in back to back games. Could just be a hunch, and personally can’t see it happening, but a bad loss and he’s certainly one foot out the door imo. 

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

George on NTT20 on their latest ep seems fairly confident that a win for them (Oxford) on Saturday, and they could well be getting two managers sacked in back to back games. Could just be a hunch, and personally can’t see it happening, but a bad loss and he’s certainly one foot out the door imo. 

A defeat could theoretically end up with us in a relegation spot which would concentrate minds. That is unlikely tough. My guess is we'd sink to 18th or 19th which he'd probably survive,

1 hour ago, Colemanballs said:

A defeat could theoretically end up with us in a relegation spot which would concentrate minds. That is unlikely tough. My guess is we'd sink to 18th or 19th which he'd probably survive,

If as a club we lose at home to Oxford, especially on the back of the last two performances and do not react, then I’d be absolutely amazed. We beat Oxford 5-1 at home last season (albeit they had Liam in their dugout), surely even the Lansdowns would see a loss here as appealing and inexcusable regression?

10 minutes ago, FNQ said:

If as a club we lose at home to Oxford, especially on the back of the last two performances and do not react, then I’d be absolutely amazed. We beat Oxford 5-1 at home last season (albeit they had Liam in their dugout), surely even the Lansdowns would see a loss here as appealing and inexcusable regression?

I'm not saying that's what I would do. Personally, I'd get rid of him now. It was clear to me well before the end of last season that he was a dreadful fit for us and nothing I've seen since has changed that view. However, I suspect the decision makers will be minded to give him more time.

• Like 2