2020-21- 13 Points

LJ

2019-20- 10 Points

2018-19- 8 Points

2017-18- 6 Points

2016-17- 9 Points

Cotts- Championship

2015-16- 4 Points

There is and was a key difference of course, we were nearly promoted and ended up with arguably a weaker squad than we came up with.

Whereas this us out 10th successive Championship season and there was money spent to build on an 11th place finish.

Only twice more have we won just 1 of the first 5 and only once have we obtained less points.

Our GD is the worst too of those 10.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

• The title was changed to The Worst League start since..?
22 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anyone?

I've checked.

As I recall from 5 Games we got..

NP

2023-24- 8 Points  11th

2022-23- 7 Points   14th

2021-22- 7 Points   17th

DH

2020-21- 13 Points  19th

LJ

2019-20- 10 Points  12th

2018-19- 8 Points  8th

2017-18- 6 Points  11th

2016-17- 9 Points  17th

Cotts- Championship

2015-16- 4 Points  18th

There is and was a key difference of course, we were nearly promoted and ended up with arguably a weaker squad than we came up with.

Whereas this us out 10th successive Championship season and there was money spent to build on an 11th place finish.

Only twice more have we won just 1 of the first 5 and only once have we obtained less points.

I’ve added our final league position each season, and come to the conclusion that it makes little difference!

Our Best and worst starts saw us finish one place different!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anyone?

I've checked.

As I recall from 5 Games we got..

NP

2023-24- 8 Points

2022-23- 7 Points

2021-22- 7 Points

DH

2020-21- 13 Points

LJ

2019-20- 10 Points

2018-19- 8 Points

2017-18- 6 Points

2016-17- 9 Points

Cotts- Championship

2015-16- 4 Points

Sad Cry GIF by Zomerkamp Zwijndrecht

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 4

2 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I’ve added our final league position each season, and come to the conclusion that it makes little difference!

Our Best and worst starts saw us finish one place different!

So with NP we were climbing three league positions each season and were consistently making progress, cleared all the dead wood, almost halved the wage bill, need I go on..!

• Like 14
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, PFree said:

So with NP we were climbing three league positions each season and were consistently making progress, cleared all the dead wood, almost halved the wage bill, need I go on..!

Not really the point I’’m making though - not remotely the point in fact!

My point is simply that how many points you get from your first 5 games doesn’t appear to have very much bearing on where you finish. That’s all. Simple as.

Not sure why there’s a need to read so much more into it….

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, italian dave said:

My point is simply that how many points you get from your first 5 games doesn’t appear to have very much bearing on where you finish. That’s all. Simple as.

A worry for us is that we usually have a decent start and can tail off. Sometimes drastically so.

If we are starting poorly the reverse could kick in but it's an indictment that a Solid Base, with money added and a full Pre Season has our worst atett since 2015.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

Yeah normally we start well, get giddy, then have a terrible period when the weather gets cold, and then drag ourselves back out of trouble to finish with a resounding 'meh'.

This bad start is actually a refreshing experience! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

I have said before that one of my "dream seasons" involves us losing the first 13 games, sticking with the manager (whoever he (OR SHE) may be), and then winning the final 33 matches for a 99 point finish and automatic promotion.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Strange reply. Care to elaborate in case I have missed something?

Don’t waste your time. Third “ meme” he/she/child has posted in the last couple of days. Guess they haven’t the intellect to have a decent debate. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yeah normally we start well, get giddy, then have a terrible period when the weather gets cold, and then drag ourselves back out of trouble to finish with a resounding 'meh'.

This bad start is actually a refreshing experience! 

Relegation battle? While since we've had a bona fide one of those.. Lee Johnson's first full season probably.

It's not where we start but where we finish that counts- everything else is speculation , spleen venting or just plain agenda.

I couldn't be happier to see Cardiff where they are but come December they could be in a very different position and I really haven't a clue as to where we'll be albeit I'm struggling with the enthusiasm to give a flying fig- atm.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I vaguely remember City not winning any of the first 7 matches. Can’t recal who the manager was tho.

I’ve checked all the way back to Alan Dicks & no City manager who has lasted that long (Steve Coppell didn’t) has failed to win at once in their first 7 games.

So either you’re mistaken or confused again.

If you were alluding to who I think you were, he won his first & his third game in charge of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Under O'Driscoll we went 12 League Games without a win at the start of 2013-14??

Just checked.

Yes, but he took over in the January prior & won his first three home games.

We also won 3 cup games within that 12 match winless league run.

I assumed he meant the first 7 games of someone’s tenure.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Further back than him.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Confused more than likely Graham. 

I thought that it might have been LJ. It could have been him that led City to the longest number of consecutive defeats. 10 iirc.

Lee Johnson was our manager long AFTER Sean O’Driscoll.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Lee Johnson was our manager long AFTER Sean O’Driscoll.

I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about.

I thought that Cotterill took over after SoD and SC was sacked to allow LJ to take over

City have had so many managers over the decades that I’ve been attending AG that I can’t remember the chronological order.

I know that one of them lost 10 consecutive games, Citys worst ever run.

Edited by Robbored
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought that Cotterill took over after SoD and SC was sacked to allow LJ to take over

City have had so many managers over the decades that I’ve been attending AG that I can’t remember the chronological order.

I know that one of them lost 10 consecutive games, Citys worst ever run.

Easy to find the chronological order on google to do some fact checking before posting 

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

I vaguely remember City not winning any of the first 7 matches. Can’t recal who the manager was tho.

I’ve a vague memory of us losing our first 5 games, that may have included league cup, in 1985.

I was young and travelling around Europe desperately trying to find our scores out, usually the next day sneaking a peek at a newspaper and I’m sure they were always defeats.

The day we arrived home we won our first game of the season. 

12 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve a vague memory of us losing our first 5 games, that may have included league cup, in 1985.

I was young and travelling around Europe desperately trying to find our scores out, usually the next day sneaking a peek at a newspaper and I’m sure they were always defeats.

Didn’t we have really good preseason too?

36 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

What riles me is seeing Oxford above us, all these years and money spent since we got promoted and they have been languishing in league two and above since then. What have we got to show for all this time while a team like them can just rock up and perform (and play good football!)

It’s because Liam laid the foundations 😂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Relegation battle? While since we've had a bona fide one of those.. Lee Johnson's first full season probably.

Do you mean this season? I'll stick my neck out and say we've got way too much about us to be involved in a relegation battle this season. But lower midtable would be disappointing/unacceptable enough!

I mentioned in another thread that form can change so quickly. We've seen that with every manager since we've been back in the Championship. I just hope it happens before things get really toxic and we get stuck in a rut.

16 minutes ago, mozo said:

Do you mean this season? I'll stick my neck out and say we've got way too much about us to be involved in a relegation battle this season. But lower midtable would be disappointing/unacceptable enough!

I mentioned in another thread that form can change so quickly. We've seen that with every manager since we've been back in the Championship. I just hope it happens before things get really toxic and we get stuck in a rut.

Well yeah agreed overall but just thinking given how we start well an then drift a bit, always that small risk.

I thought in August bottom half would be a fail basically.

• Like 1

I suppose we started one season poorly under Wilson in 2000-01 and one under Tinnion in 2004-05 (one under Tinnion in 2005-06 too, less said the better)..we finished top half on each occasion but this was in the third tier. When we were one of the biggest financial hitters, in the first two certainly.

Now we've grown as a club but we're probably middling, top 10 for squad cost? We have some decent depth but then we have a range of injuries too..harder to recover quickly and strongly from a poor start at this level for a club like us as a non Parachute side.

Let's see anyway, if we get 8-10 points from the next 4 there will be some fresh hope and other sides will get their injuries..gotta try and look at some positives but it seems a bit meh with a very leaky defensive structure on top atm.

dont worry mr pops,we will be fine, they will give him a bit more time to try and implement his system with his players, by christmas,he will ditch that poppycock and go back to how we were last 3 months of last season, with the squad weve got, we should be able to recover enough points to finish higher than last season.  best thing to do is watch or do something else for a short while, let him get his whim out of the way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well yeah agreed overall but just thinking given how we start well an then drift a bit, always that small risk.

I thought in August bottom half would be a fail basically.

Yes and I think there are ways that this could turn into a very worrying first 10 or 20 games. We've already had some misfortune with injuries, and a couple more key ones would be a problem at this stage. Let's say Tanner and O'Leary got injured. Then, if a few things go against us in games too...

Imagine Williams gets sent off after 10 minutes on Saturday and Oxford smell blood and rip us apart. The negative spiral would then have gained even more momentum and suddenly Swansea away looks like a really tough game.

We're absolutely on the precipice of a rut. When you're in a rut, it's like quicksand. Confidence dissolves and suddenly players can't make simple decisions on the field of play and the atmosphere gets dark. 

We need to either play our way out of this spiral, or fight our way out, or just get some luck. A dodgy last minute penalty against Oxford could completely change the dynamic and the narrative. Then, suddenly, the outlook for the Swansea game is more benign.

Gotta love supporting City; you never know what the hell is gonna happen next 🫣

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

We've already had some misfortune with injuries, and a couple more key ones would be a problem at this stage. Let's say Tanner and O'Leary got injured. Then, if a few things go against us in games too...

Im sorry - that’s nonsense.

Our injuries this season are/have been (ignoring Atkinson who was known long term):

- McCrorie - no real impact, Tanner has been one of our best players 

- Dickie - Yes, impact - but we spent £3m on a replacement!

- Yu - unknown quantity, significant cover 

- Bell - again lots of cover

- Earthy - played less than two full games of football.

If you were picking our best team, of that list, the only one you could say would be an automatic pick was Dickie - and we have a big money replacement there. For all others they’re squad players and our business this summer was depth - despite the “misfortune with injuries” we have in each game had 9 senior pros on the bench.

There is absolutely no way “misfortune with injuries” can be given as a mitigating factor in the start to date, based on the players injured and the business done in the window which precisely allowed us to cope with this scenario without throwing the equivalent of Joseph James in.

Edited by Silvio Dante
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Our injuries this season are/have been (ignoring Atkinson who was known long term):

If you were picking our best team, of that list, the only one you could say would be an automatic pick was Dickie - and we have a big money replacement there. For all others they’re squad players and our business this summer was depth - despite the “misfortune with injuries” we have in each game had 9 senior pros on the bench.

There is absolutely no way “misfortune with injuries” can be given as a mitigating factor in the start to date, based on the players injured and the business done in the window which precisely allowed us to cope with this scenario without throwing the equivalent of Joseph James in.

26 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I actually wasn't using it as a mitigating factor, I was teeing up my next statement about how a couple more injuries could have an impact.

I think two new signings getting injured straight away, and reigning player of the year, is enough to qualify as misfortune. It's certainly not wonderful fortune.

But the post wasn't saying 'poor Liam', it was saying, 'shit could get ugly...' '...but it might not.'

1 hour ago, redsquirrel said:

dont worry mr pops,we will be fine, they will give him a bit more time to try and implement his system with his players, by christmas,he will ditch that poppycock and go back to how we were last 3 months of last season, with the squad weve got, we should be able to recover enough points to finish higher than last season.  best thing to do is watch or do something else for a short while, let him get his whim out of the way

I think you're not wrong, hope you're not wrong also RS.

Surely that was for last year and pre season though. My small concern is as it was in the Summer although actually it's deteriorated quicker than I could imagine!

*Defence- Solid, 4th best

*Midfield- Technically good

*Approach- Good energy

Identified all of this post Willem II.

The goals.. two youngish attackers, wonder if playing Nakhi through the middle to steady the ship- he has good spells and bad spells to fall back on, a lot of experience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

This was the season, one was a league cup match

IMG_2308.jpeg

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They also had Year 1 Parachute Payments and one of the top incomes albeit not so big a gap as these days but he stopped the rot forcefully and took them up yes.

Not comparing like for like, just pointing out that the season is never determined in first few games. Wish it was though as Cardiff would be down 

19 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

I’ve a memory of drawing with Liverpool or Man Utd, can’t remember now and finished top 10 but no promotion ?

Was that the season a young Michael Owen scored for Liverpool at Ashton Gate in a pre season friendly.