IGNORED

Arsenal - world class side

Shauntaylor85

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Amazing how bad Man City are at breaking this arsenal defence down.  

It’s difficult for any team to break down 1O behind the ball. Arsenal are doing a great job.

Raya is exceptional.

Edited by Robbored

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

Why do you hate Arsenal so much? Seems a bit weird 

Their antics second half, particularly the faking of cramp (Martinelli’s was embarrassing), is what pushed the injury time to the crazy amounts which is ultimately what causes them to not win that. Just funny really. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, petehinton said:

Their antics second half, particularly the faking of cramp (Martinelli’s was embarrassing), is what pushed the injury time to the crazy amounts which is ultimately what causes them to not win that. Just funny really. 

You've written plenty of anti Arsenal posts in your time Pete 

1 minute ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Did you not watch that second half? 

Every team on this planet would had done the exact same if they are playing in a potentially title deciding match, with ten men. It is part of modern football.

Do I like it? No. Am I surprised? No. 

I really am not sure what you or others expected arsenal to do in that second half?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

You've written plenty of anti Arsenal posts in your time Pete 

Yeah, they’re a fanbase full of ******* odd balls who send death threats to referees, have a genuine belief that the FA are against them, that the Saudi’s are paying off referees to spite them, and Arteta’s behaviour on the sidelines is one I hope is never reflective of a PL winning manager tbh.

But that’s unrelated to my comments on the second half! Just find it very funny, regardless of the game or who’s involved, that constant play acting and faking of injury is what causes you to lose a game. 

Edited by petehinton

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I guarantee that if the game wasn’t stopped for treatment when they go down with cramp !!!!! Then it would rarely happen.

Its a time wasting tool as simple as that.

If they go down with cramp and want treatment then play on and a physio can come on and treat them. But they won’t stay down half as much.

Edited by Back of the Dolman

6 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

If they did, how many of them caused a genuine problem?

Not long before the goal, there xG for the second half was around 1. I know it is a bit of an imperfect metric but it certainly reflected the sense I got watching that Man City threatened surprisingly little for a team so dominant.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ecko said:

Every team on this planet would had done the exact same if they are playing in a potentially title deciding match, with ten men. It is part of modern football.

Do I like it? No. Am I surprised? No. 

I really am not sure what you or others expected arsenal to do in that second half?

No problem with a backs to the wall performance. Needs must. 

But all the feigning injury and play acting is and was not needed. Ironic that Man City scored in added time of added time which the ref added on due to Arsenal feigning injury. 

• Like 2

Just now, W-S-M Seagull said:

No problem with a backs to the wall performance. Needs must. 

But all the feigning injury and play acting is and was not needed. Ironic that Man City scored in added time of added time which the ref added on due to Arsenal feigning injury. 

I agree, and I hate feigning and faking injuries. It's my biggest annoyance of modern football.

On 15/09/2024 at 15:59, Shauntaylor85 said:

Simply sublime. No better side in Europe defensively. Arteta is top class. Winning the title this year no doubt. What do they do? Play it simple. Basically a 4.4.2! 

Not your beloved Bristol City then? Strange thing to post when you continually slag us off. 

So pleased they were denied in the last minute...

9 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I guarantee that if the game wasn’t stopped for treatment when they go down with cramp !!!!! Then it would rarely happen.

Its a time wasting tool as simple as that.

If they go down with cramp and want treatment then play on and a physio can come on and treat them. But they won’t stay down half as much.

Amazing how they can stumble into the centre of the pitch with cramp!

I find it amazing people can’t just say what an incredible away performance that was at Man City with 10 men. 

And by incredible I acknowledge they used every trick in the book and were anti-football. But a draw was their only realistic best case scenario once Trossard was sent off. 

I think this also goes to show what a good manager Arteta is and how well coached his squad is. He can send his team out either to try and play you off the park, or to frustrate you like a Simeone’s Atletico, from one half to the next. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, petehinton said:

If we were down to 10 men away to say Leeds?Burnley

would you not want us to waste time kill the game to get the points?

or would want us to lose but play the game like gentleman 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Tactical cramp, hate it.

I think there’s a lot more that could be done to cut out this rubbish which is in all honesty a pretty embarrassing sight at times 

Just one small step away from Warnock's Rotherham getting a player to go off on a stretcher , only to jump up and come back on as soon as he reached the half way line. 

4 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

If we were down to 10 men away to say Leeds?Burnley

would you not want us to waste time kill the game to get the points?

or would want us to lose but play the game like gentleman 

Yes, but wouldn’t want us to do it every 5 minutes for an entire half. Thats what makes you really run a risk of it backfiring.  Theres a difference between shithousing to get over the line, and trying to do it for an entire half. The latter is the reason why they played for an extra 10 minutes, and ultimately that’s what cost them.

FWIW, I don’t even think Arsenal needed to do it to the level they were. Their structure and organisation was superb, and Man City were totally out of ideas. They really frustrated them and limited them to extremely little when they had the ball, so certainly didn’t need to continuously time waste & have players dropping to the floor from minute 45. 

• Like 1

Bringing the chat back to City, do you recall the Rotherham game at BS3 when Warnock got his Yarkshire cheats to time-waste? he was loathed by everyone at that game, even those who rate the bloke who failed at so many clubs before running away.

Anyway, Arteta tonight tries to defend all his time-wasting as 'cute game management' - different words but still still bringing the game into disrepute. He's a shocker and always will be 2nd!

55 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Arteta getting his just desserts there imo.

Rubbish, Thought the 2nd half was fascinating, set his defence up brilliantly and made City look clueless. Loved it. Arsenal deserved to win.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 38MC said:

I find it amazing people can’t just say what an incredible away performance that was at Man City with 10 men. 

And by incredible I acknowledge they used every trick in the book and were anti-football. But a draw was their only realistic best case scenario once Trossard was sent off. 

I think this also goes to show what a good manager Arteta is and how well coached his squad is. He can send his team out either to try and play you off the park, or to frustrate you like a Simeone’s Atletico, from one half to the next. 

Spot on. They were comfortable for long spells with ten men

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Yes, but wouldn’t want us to do it every 5 minutes for an entire half. Thats what makes you really run a risk of it backfiring.  Theres a difference between shithousing to get over the line, and trying to do it for an entire half. The latter is the reason why they played for an extra 10 minutes, and ultimately that’s what cost them.

FWIW, I don’t even think Arsenal needed to do it to the level they were. Their structure and organisation was superb, and Man City were totally out of ideas. They really frustrated them and limited them to extremely little when they had the ball, so certainly didn’t need to continuously time waste & have players dropping to the floor from minute 45. 

They were one phase of play away from it working

Well done Arsenal!...........considering it was 10 against 12..........what a fantastic result  you achieved tonight!  Ever onwards to win the title and break the Manchester Monopoly..  Arteta the apprentice showing his mentor how to play football?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

48 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Another dodgy sending off against the Gunners I see? Both reds in games where the opposition have also kicked the ball away without a booking

Very strange inconsistency 

Surely when supporters are paying a fortune for tickets, the priority should be to keep all 22 players on the pitch if at all possible?  So as to provide a fair and entertaining spectacle?  Instead of which the tossers who run the game introduce a rule that is constantly used inconsistently, and although made with possibly   the right intention,  is stupid and open to wrongful interpretation?   I was watching a fascinating football match, nobody was assaulted or their livelihood threatened by a dangerous or over the top tackle?  Just a great game of football, that was then ruined as a contest by a moronic decision, that turned the rest of the game into attack vs defence?  Thus ruining the chance to see 2 of the the UK's best teams provide top entertainment?  What a pheckin joke?  Can those blazered ***** who make the rules,  for once consider the repercussions of their stupidity, and consider the paying customers, instead of their own egotistical meanderings?  Not content with destroying atmospheres and joyous occasions, and then spending inordinate time deciding if some attackers toe is interfering with play, they now introduce an absurdly   ridiculous rule, which proves none of them have ever played top level football?   Rant Over...........I'll get my coat

Edited by maxjak

3 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Agree 

BUT

Why was the ManCity player not carded when he kicked it away earlier

Just be consistent 

Presuming you're talking about the Doku incident? If so, they're not the same - Doku tapped the ball back to where the free kick would (and should) have been taken. Michael Oliver would have made the Arsenal FK taker move it back anyway so no delayed restart there.

Trossard hoofed it into the next postcode, obvious delayed restart there, yellow card and cheerio. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, petehinton said:

Yeah, they’re a fanbase full of ******* odd balls who send death threats to referees, have a genuine belief that the FA are against them, that the Saudi’s are paying off referees to spite them, and Arteta’s behaviour on the sidelines is one I hope is never reflective of a PL winning manager tbh.

But that’s unrelated to my comments on the second half! Just find it very funny, regardless of the game or who’s involved, that constant play acting and faking of injury is what causes you to lose a game. 

I'm with you Pete, Cannot stand Man City but the only club capable of making me want them to win a game of football are Arsenal. 

Man City are grotesque, but they win with grace. Arsenal are chocker full of awful people. Arteta, White, Gabriel, Martinelli, Zinchenko are all thoroughly dislikeable footballers.

and their fans are absolutely awful. Even the second teamers are insufferable.

I can't wait for them to bottle it once again. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

48 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Surely when supporters are paying a fortune for tickets, the priority should be to keep all 22 players on the pitch if at all possible?  So as to provide a fair and entertaining spectacle?  Instead of which the tossers who run the game introduce a rule that is constantly used inconsistently, and although made with possibly   the right intention,  is stupid and open to wrongful interpretation?   I was watching a fascinating football match, nobody was assaulted or their livelihood threatened by a dangerous or over the top tackle?  Just a great game of football, that was then ruined as a contest by a moronic decision, that turned the rest of the game into attack vs defence?  Thus ruining the chance to see 2 of the the UK's best teams provide top entertainment?  What a pheckin joke?  Can those blazered ***** who make the rules,  for once consider the repercussions of their stupidity, and consider the paying customers, instead of their own egotistical meanderings?  Not content with destroying atmospheres and joyous occasions, and then spending inordinate time deciding if some attackers toe is interfering with play, they now introduce an absurdly   ridiculous rule, which proves none of them have ever played top level football?   Rant Over...........I'll get my coat

TBH Arsenal probably would have been pretty defensive anyway trying to hold onto a lead.

Last season they played for a point with 11 men. 

Sure lost an attacking outlet and some rules aren't adhered to consistently. - that will probably never stop.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

How many times have you seen a ref put it on the whistle indicate direct free kick (arm at 45) and a player then kicks the ball away and they are not booked? Name Trossard spelt BELLEND.

Edited by Mendip Broadwalk

Can't blame Arsenal for going 6 at the back and wasting time in 2nd half since Man City don't lose at home. Possibly they are the least entertaining of the big clubs but I was hoping they could hold on for the win, 4 point swing with that Stones goal is a big blow for them. Trossard was silly but thought the red was for the challenge not for kicking the ball away, same as Rice red card the other week.

3 hours ago, 38MC said:

Agree. To me it was an outstanding performance. 10 men vs the best ever English side, they well and truly rattled Man City and I loved it.

I would like to see 'anti-football' beat Pep's mundane, boring style this season and if it is done by these means even better. 

Could be a good title race this season. Arsenal have weapons in their armour now

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Agree. To me it was an outstanding performance. 10 men vs the best ever English side, they well and truly rattled Man City and I loved it.

I would like to see 'anti-football' beat Pep's mundane, boring style this season and if it is done by these means even better. 

Could be a good title race this season. Arsenal have weapons in their armour now

What I found refreshing is Arteta quickly realised they were not going to win - and by that not lose - by playing a football match against Man City away, 10 v 11, for 45 mins. They were well drilled for come what may. 

23 minutes ago, 38MC said:

What I found refreshing is Arteta quickly realised they were not going to win - and by that not lose - by playing a football match against Man City away, 10 v 11, for 45 mins. They were well drilled for come what may. 

They have an incredible back line - Saliba, Gabriel, Calafiori then the very impressive Raya in goal.

Defending is an art in itself and that's a brilliant back line.

I liked how Inter nullified Man City in the week too, and were unlucky not to win there. Tactically you have to play the percentages against Man City, it's what the coaches in Europe realised early on and why City have just 1 CL to show for their dominance. 

2 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I'm with you Pete, Cannot stand Man City but the only club capable of making me want them to win a game of football are Arsenal. 

Man City are grotesque, but they win with grace. Arsenal are chocker full of awful people. Arteta, White, Gabriel, Martinelli, Zinchenko are all thoroughly dislikeable footballers.

Glad to find likeminded City fans on this, yourself and @petehinton have nailed it.

I think the extra element for me is that when I was growing up, arsenal were the club of the 'not really into football but want to support a team' kids, don't want to be a glory hunting Man United fan but want to be a fan of a team that was/is successful. This is going back to the early 00s. Even now, club of choice for the hipster cockhead performatively playing 'football fan'. Not to mention aftv and the absurd arrogance that surrounds that club.

Today they are rife with some of the most unlikeable people English football has to offer. I really dislike them - glad I'm not alone in that.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I think that Stones goal may have a big mental impact on them. 

Whatever they do, however hard they try they still find it impossible to come out on top against City. 

City rarely drop points, Arsenal do so Arsenal really needed to get the 3 points today and again they couldn't. That's gonna have a mental impact. 

10 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

If you ever hear an Arsenal fan up in arms about Man City's financial shenanigans you can ask them what went on in the early 1900s in Woolwich and Highbury.

Two grotty clubs, one which invented financial fuckery and skulduggery and 100 years later the other perfected it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think that Stones goal may have a big mental impact on them. 

Whatever they do, however hard they try they still find it impossible to come out on top against City. 

City rarely drop points, Arsenal do so Arsenal really needed to get the 3 points today and again they couldn't. That's gonna have a mental impact. 

We will see. They have taken 7 points from 3 difficult away games. They'll be happy.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Super said:

We will see. They have taken 7 points from 3 difficult away games. They'll be happy.

I think they will feel like they have been sucker punched by a team that always gets the best of them over the course of a season. 

At the end of the game Man City played their 'champions again ole ole ole' song over the speakers. Clearly don't to get in Arsenals heads. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull
  • Confused 2
  • Facepalm 1

I am glad to see coaches are picking up on the fact you can tactically nullify Man City.

It's happened in Europe for years, that's why City only have won 1 Champions League. Coaches in Europe are clever enough to nullify them and play on the percentages (Inter last wednesday, Real Madrid in April).

Arsenal did similar yesterday and have got hammered for it. 10 MEN all of the second half, they'd of snatched your hand off for a point at half time, despite them conceding in the 98th minute. 

Man City were the ones rattled for the majority of the game yesterday i'm afraid. They hate it when teams don't let them just pass straight through them and score.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

If you ever hear an Arsenal fan up in arms about Man City's financial shenanigans you can ask them what went on in the early 1900s in Woolwich and Highbury.

Two grotty clubs, one which invented financial fuckery and skulduggery and 100 years later the other perfected it.

Indeed.

If you’ve not read it, I recommend!

image.jpg

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, 2015 said:

I am glad to see coaches are picking up on the fact you can tactically nullify Man City.

It's happened in Europe for years, that's why City only have won 1 Champions League. Coaches in Europe are clever enough to nullify them and play on the percentages (Inter last wednesday, Real Madrid in April).

Arsenal did similar yesterday and have got hammered for it. 10 MEN all of the second half, they'd of snatched your hand off for a point at half time, despite them conceding in the 98th minute. 

Man City were the ones rattled for the majority of the game yesterday i'm afraid. They hate it when teams don't let them just pass straight through them and score.

Was the same when he was in charge at Barcelona as well, especially up against Mourinho.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Man City were rattled but there was only one team using the extreme dark arts..

Of course every team in the land would like the opposition to just let them score. 

Man City undoubtedly were frustrated to keep knocking on the door and not getting anywhere but from what I saw then remained professional and kept going and eventually opened that door. 

I think they did well to not fall into Arsenal's trap of trying to antagonise them. 

Edited by W-S-M Seagull

16 hours ago, petehinton said:

Never understand this take on injury time. The time is added because it's wasted. If it wasn't wasted it would be being played, just earlier on. There's no actual time "added" to the period of play.

Thought kt was a fascinating second half, impressive defensive display although 45 minutes of time wasting and feigning injury is not what many want to see. Maybe last 10 or so fair enough.

Dont think it’s quite THE title decider as both wil drop points elsewhere and a point suits Arsenal more.

18 hours ago, Mendip Broadwalk said:

How many times have you seen a ref put it on the whistle indicate direct free kick (arm at 45) and a player then kicks the ball away and they are not booked? Name Trossard spelt BELLEND.

"How many times have you seen a ref put it on the whistle indicate direct free kick?"     Me think's i get what u are attempting to communicate, in your own quaint way?     In the heat of a stressful high pressure match thing' s    happen.........but i do   not agree with pettiness ruining a great game of football?  How can an over the top tackle that could result in an injury be compared to kicking a ball away..yet they both get a yellow card.  The Man City v Arsenal game was reduced to a farce in the 2nd half, instead of what could have been a great occasion involving two excellent sides?  The punishment does not fit the crime IMO.  And your  comment calling Trossard a bellend is just sad,..............😜.                 

19 hours ago, Markthehorn said:

TBH Arsenal probably would have been pretty defensive anyway trying to hold onto a lead.

Last season they played for a point with 11 men. 

Sure lost an attacking outlet and some rules aren't adhered to consistently. - that will probably never stop.

Sorry i cannot agree.......Arsenal are more adventerous this seaaon IMO.  But unfortunately we will never know, because the match was ruined as a spectacle by the sending off.  It is the paying public who miss out, I always believe that the referee should make every attempt to keep 22 players on the pitch if possible, but their hands are tied by the petty officialdom of rulemakers who never played the game at a high level.   Obviously   a terrible or dangerous tackle has to be punished, but to see a game ruined by petty rules pisses me off?

4 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Dont think it’s quite THE title decider as both wil drop points elsewhere and a point suits Arsenal more.

Man City rarely drop points. They go on ridiculous runs. They will drop points but no where near as many as Arsenal will so I'm not sure how a point suits Arsenal in that context.

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry i cannot agree.......Arsenal are more adventerous this seaaon IMO.  But unfortunately we will never know, because the match was ruined as a spectacle by the sending off.  It is the paying public who miss out, I always believe that the referee should make every attempt to keep 22 players on the pitch if possible, but their hands are tied by the petty officialdom of rulemakers who never played the game at a high level.   Obviously   a terrible or dangerous tackle has to be punished, but to see a game ruined by petty rules pisses me off?

I get what you are saying but footballers are supposed to be professional. Some are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds a week to do a job on the pitch for a few hours a week.For those few hours they are expected to perform within the laws of the game.If they cannot manage to do that for ninety minutes, why is it the refs fault?It is the players that have let the club and the fans down with their petulance.Arsenal players should have been particularly aware of this after the Declan Rice sending off.When the rest of us go to work we have to toe the line for forty hours or whatever every week.

• Thanks 1