IGNORED

Lineup v Oxford

BCFCGav

Just now, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Yes both those teams look great on paper but is LM likely to pick them ? 

Absolutely not.

There will be 20,000 people in the ground Saturday and I'd wager none of them would pick the team that's selected...

Not what I would do but I think we'll do this...

Max

Tanner     Mcnally   Vyner     Pring

Knight     Mcguane

Sykes             Bird                 Twine 

Armstrong

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CTRed said:

Arguments against? Based on Atkinson getting through u21 game this week. Clearly our strongest team (aside from Dickie and Hirakawa) I’m sure people will disagree re O’Leary but Bajic has done nothing wrong and can’t do any worse than O’Leary, who has never been a championship keeper.

If Atkinson can’t start then Robert’s LCB and Pring LWB

IMG_0340.jpeg

O’Leary slander in 2024 is mental

• Like 1

On 14/09/2024 at 20:52, Davefevs said:

I see that as a negative…it shouldn’t take bad defeats to make decisive decisions.  And I think LM might be one who would rather avoid them / take an easier way out.

I knew he’d pick Mayulu today, and I knew he’d use Armstrong’s international duty as the reason.  He has therefore avoided Mayulu becoming impatient.

He did it with Mehmeti, left him out to accommodate Bird / avoid not playing Twine.

I think we're both right here Fevs. More broadly it's a worry if Manning hasn't been decisive with his selections. But acutely in the here and now, let's hope he feels the freedom to just pick the most balanced team. 

14 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

“Manning Derby”

Oh, **** off!

A Derby by nature has to have some kind of rivalry. The Oxford fans are revelling in Liams current failure, not ours. Is it ironic that we’re playing them on such poor form? Yes - but based on Liams time in charge, we’ve been in poor form more often than good form. But it’s not a Derby. It’s (again) ironically a game where for both sides the long term best outcome may actually be the same result, and nobody here will care about the result long term.

It's "The Clash Of The Shite 'Uns.

7 hours ago, CTRed said:

Arguments against? Based on Atkinson getting through u21 game this week. Clearly our strongest team (aside from Dickie and Hirakawa) I’m sure people will disagree re O’Leary but Bajic has done nothing wrong and can’t do any worse than O’Leary, who has never been a championship keeper.

IMG_0340.jpeg

Thanks, 

I've needed something to bring me back from the feeling that Manning is a dud. You've shown that it could be a whole lot worse!

7 hours ago, CTRed said:

IMG_0340.jpeg

I would play Roberts in back 3 in place of McNally giving us much needed pace.

This game has got nailed on away win all over it. They and their fans will be so up for this. Thousands of Oxford fans making noise and city being made to look like a bunch of chumps for appointing Manning. Dreading Saturday if I am being honest. 

26 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

This game has got nailed on away win all over it. They and their fans will be so up for this. Thousands of Oxford fans making noise and city being made to look like a bunch of chumps for appointing Manning. Dreading Saturday if I am being honest. 

Sold 22k tickets as of last Tuesday and Family Day. How embarrassing for the Club if we lose that one. 🙃

I assume Family Day game was chosen as a celebration, an expectation to win and to win well. Etc- to showcase our Progress under Manning vs the Club he left behind.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 hours ago, CTRed said:

IMG_0340.jpeg

Jesus Christ!  Drop Max???  Early onset of Alzheimers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fly in the air said:

he needs to get his selection right for oxford on sat. another defeat and the atmosphere could become toxic in the ground. first thing play players in there correct positions. example Twine. it's not rocket science 

1 hour ago, KegCity said:

Drop Williams, play Bird deeper and Twine through the middle.

I have no desire to see us play with three centre-backs.

Spot on with regards playing Twine in his preferred central no.10 role. Bird and Knight in M/F, drop Williams.

I'd also like to see Yu rhs instead of Sykes, Armstrong lhs not Mehmeti, and keep Fally up top. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Slight sense of irony you've mentioned playing people in their best positions and then put Pring Left Wing and an injured McCrorie at Centre Back...? And then going back to the original post, Roberts is certainly not a LWB at all, very different role to LB in a 4 or LCB. I'm still wary of playing Mayulu and Armstrong from the start as it leaves nothing off the bench for us if we need a goal.

With what we've got I'd go with this

Max

Tanner    Mcnally   Vyner    Pring

Knight       Bird

Hirakawa     Twine           Mehmeti

Armstrong

If we had McCrorie fit I would consider changing to something like this but is harsh on Tanner and wouldn't play Sykes at Wing Back

Max

Mcnally   Vyner     Roberts

McCrorie                                  Pring

Knight Bird

Hirakawa                            Twine

Armstrong

Oops, too many big Macs, apologies, I meant McNally!

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea what he should do, but the suggestion that we drop our only goalkeeper of proven Championship standard is insane.

Bit like the teams that have Hirakawa or Armstrong as our wing backs.

Think we have returned to the LJ era, too many players & all of a similar standard.

• Like 7

The main thing I think we need is a pivot player. That can be one of Kal or Haydon inverting to that space from LCB in a three or one of the two recruits for that position (Max Bird and Marcus McGuane). 

We've left ourselves totally exposed in transition and it's probably the reason why our defenders look so much more shaky and it would help us in the build up phase to add a ball progressor into that area (I like Joe and Jason, but they've never been that and they never will be).

We can't expect Cam Pring to do two and a half people's jobs on his own. People are calling for him to be dropped as if the problem is with him rather than the fact he's more stretched than a Stretch Armstrong doll on Christmas Morning in the mid Nineties!

Something has to change shape wise and fast. Balance is the order of the day. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Just had a nose at their forum.

They hate Manning and as the last poster says "hes in for some serious shit" on Saturday.

Imagine if we get dicked against them?

https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/a-bristol-city-fan-us-thoughts-on-liam-manning.10103/page-6

Don't forget it's Family Day for us, how embarrassing for the club.

They like to choose perceived Softish games as Family Day because a good healthy win and Performance is great for the next generation. Cheap tickets etc- just like vs Rotherham in late April.

They chose it back in July because presumably we thrashed Oxford last season and they looked on paper the weakest of the newly Promoted sides.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

11 hours ago, CTRed said:

IMG_0340.jpeg

Bloody hell, @CTRed. I almost prefer Liam picking the side 😀.

At least Twine is in the right position.

Isn't McCrorie injured? Atkinson didn't look too close in last Tuesday's U21s, but could be available.

If O'Leary 'isn't a Championdhip player', then neither is Bajic. His ricket wasn't to do with shot stopping, so I'd keep him in.

Otherwise you've dropped most of the worst performers - not that this says much about our quality!

Yu Hirakawa should start for me.

Agree with Bob. We are missing that pivot player in midfield to not only shield the defence but to transition effectively from defence to attack. Bird, Knight and Williams are all No 8's with different attributes. We don't really have a No6 in the team at the moment. However Naismith and possibly  McGuane can play that role but that would mean leaving out two of Bird, Knight or Williams if you want to have Twine in his preferred No 10 position. We also need to retain some width. We clearly haven't got the right balance at the moment and this needs to be addressed quickly. We are also badly missing Rob Dickie's ability to bring the ball out of defence which puts additional responsibility on our midfield when playing out from the back and breaking the press. Only Bird has the ability to play on the half turn but if you played him deeper you would lose his offensive ability. However, I think it is a trade off worth making. 

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't forget it's Family Day for us, how embarrassing for the club.

They like to choose perceived Softish games as Family Day because a good healthy win and Performance is great for the next generation. Cheap tickets etc- just like vs Rotherham in late April.

They chose it back in July because presumably we thrashed Oxford last season and they looked on paper the weakest of the newly Promoted sides.

Cynic! 🤣

10 minutes ago, Solent Robin said:

Agree with Bob. We are missing that pivot player in midfield to not only shield the defence but to transition effectively from defence to attack. Bird, Knight and Williams are all No 8's with different attributes. We don't really have a No6 in the team at the moment. However Naismith and possibly  McGuane can play that role but that would mean leaving out two of Bird, Knight or Williams if you want to have Twine in his preferred No 10 position. We also need to retain some width. We clearly haven't got the right balance at the moment and this needs to be addressed quickly. We are also badly missing Rob Dickie's ability to bring the ball out of defence which puts additional responsibility on our midfield when playing out from the back and breaking the press. Only Bird has the ability to play on the half turn but if you played him deeper you would lose his offensive ability. However, I think it is a trade off worth making. 

I think Bird does have the ability to be the pivot, he’s shown that he can get the ball and play on the turn.

Hes just been doing it in the 10 role, but I think if he’s dropped back then he’ll show he can do it.

for all the criticism that Naismith gets I think he’s probably the most progressive and daring passer in the squad and is more capable than many others to break the lines with his passing.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I think Bird does have the ability to be the pivot, he’s shown that he can get the ball and play on the turn.

Hes just been doing it in the 10 role, but I think if he’s dropped back then he’ll show he can do it.

for all the criticism that Naismith gets I think he’s probably the most progressive and daring passer in the squad and is more capable than many others to break the lines with his passing.

He’s the most natural 6 in that sense in our squad.  He knows how to work angles and create the “extra man”.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Solent Robin said:

Tactically how did Knight and Bird play in the Derby team? From highlights I saw Bird was quite offensive, so not sure if he ever played in a deeper role. 

As for other changes, I think Yu and Armstrong should start. I would keep faith with Sykes. 

I may be wrong, but didn't Knight play a bit at RB? I know Derby fans often felt that was his best position. (They're wrong!)

I still really want to see McGuane get some game time in front of our back 4 (If we persist with a 4). I'd sooner have no 10 than continue without a genuine pivot. 

• Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I may be wrong, but didn't Knight play a bit at RB? I know Derby fans often felt that was his best position. (They're wrong!)

I still really want to see McGuane get some game time in front of our back 4 (If we persist with a 4). I'd sooner have no 10 than continue without a genuine pivot. 

What makes McGuane better than Naismith into the pivot role? Genuine question, I know little about McGuane fwiw.

On 14/09/2024 at 20:06, maxjak said:

Phew!   What a relief..............Liam says they'll be having a big meeting on Monday morning!        I get the impression sometimes that he fills the players heads with so much planning and tactical theories that they have forgotten how to play football as a straight forward  game  ?

Agree. By and large football is a simple game and the players simple enough blokes (not in a negative way) - too much chopping & changing and info overload just doesn't work. They're footballers, not bloody Neurosurgeons. 

On 14/09/2024 at 20:06, maxjak said:

Phew!   What a relief..............Liam says they'll be having a big meeting on Monday morning!        I get the impression sometimes that he fills the players heads with so much planning and tactical theories that they have forgotten how to play football as a straight forward  game  ?

No matter how hard life can be and soul destroying sometimes, I can't imagine anything worse than a "big meeting" led by Manning.

My thoughts are with the players. Poor sods.

Hopefully, the meeting should be over by now.

Is there any news of casualities or survivors?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Solent Robin said:

Tactically how did Knight and Bird play in the Derby team? From highlights I saw Bird was quite offensive, so not sure if he ever played in a deeper role. 

As for other changes, I think Yu and Armstrong should start. I would keep faith with Sykes. 

Not very often as a pair of CMs / DMs.  Knight tended to play advanced / wide.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What makes McGuane better than Naismith into the pivot role? Genuine question, I know little about McGuane fwiw.

for one, he's a midfielder?! I've never got the obsession with playing Naismith in CDM, He's played something like 5 games there in his entire career. 

McGuane is good at picking the ball up from deep, progressing the ball with a dribble or a pass and has a lot more mobility than KN. I've liked him for a long while (Hard not to take an interest in English players who move to La Masia!)

I'm just intrigued to see him in this system, tbh!

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

28 minutes ago, BobBobBobbin said:

for one, he's a midfielder?! I've never got the obsession with playing Naismith in CDM, He's played something like 5 games there in his entire career. 

McGuane is good at picking the ball up from deep, progressing the ball with a dribble or a pass and has a lot more mobility than KN. I've liked him for a long while (Hard not to take an interest in English players who move to La Masia!)

I'm just intrigued to see him in this system, tbh!

5th choice or 7th Choice at Oxford at time of departure doesn't smack upgrade to me but otoh they are doing well at this level and he did strongly under Manning.

Naismith I think that role is pretty great for him or could be..will try and find some data of him in those positions but the advantage of putting him into that role is that he can drop in between the Centre Backs too in phases.

What levels yes McGuane been at predominantly? Yes La Masia sure but..is he suddenly the answer? Dribble, pass, progress but at Championship standard?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Not very often as a pair of CMs / DMs.  Knight tended to play advanced / wide.

Interestingly enough I spoke to a group of Derby fans before the game & they all saw Knight’s best position as a RB.  They also said that playing Bird/Knight together is fine until they faced any other midfield that was physical. I warming to the idea of Pring or Robert’s playing the left sided role with Yu on the right in a 4-4-1-1 system with Twine in behind Armstrong.  

On 14/09/2024 at 18:48, BCFCGav said:

May be the most important line-up in his year in charge so far.

Bird 10, Twine LW has to stop. Yes they interchange, yes positions are flexible these days, but it doesn’t work. Keep it simple stupid. Players in their positions.

4231:

O’Leary: Tanner, Vyner, McNally, Pring: Bird, Knight: Yu, Twine, Mehmeti: Sincs.

Mehmeti is a tough pick, he’s not looked great of late. But in Bell’s absence it’s him or a youngster. A rogue shout, like Morrison (or even Naismith who has played there historically) is tempting.

Whatever he does, it has to work.

Could play the oxford kid in place of mehmetti ?

59 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Interestingly enough I spoke to a group of Derby fans before the game & they all saw Knight’s best position as a RB.  They also said that playing Bird/Knight together is fine until they faced any other midfield that was physical. I warming to the idea of Pring or Robert’s playing the left sided role with Yu on the right in a 4-4-1-1 system with Twine in behind Armstrong.  

I watched one of his first Ireland games after he signed for us & he played on the right of a 4 & did pretty well.

If we did want to play one of Williams/McGuane as a screen alongside Bird it is at least a possibility.

Hirakawa has also played on the left in Japan so it wouldn’t stop him being picked either.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

Absolutely not.

There will be 20,000 people in the ground Saturday and I'd wager none of them would pick the team that's selected...

Not what I would do but I think we'll do this...

Max

Tanner     Mcnally   Vyner     Pring

Knight     Mcguane

Sykes             Bird                 Twine 

Armstrong

If he does that he should be sacked at HT

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I watched one of his first Ireland games after he signed for us & he played on the right of a 4 & did pretty well.

If we did want to play one of Williams/McGuane as a screen alongside Bird it is at least a possibility.

Hirakawa has also played on the left in Japan so it wouldn’t stop him being picked either.

If we want to play Williams or McGuane alongside Bird then I think we should be able to do so without having to ‘shoehorn’ Jason Knight somewhere else into the starting eleven. He isn’t currently doing anywhere near enough to demand automatic selection.

By the way this is consistent with a major criticism of Manning held by a lot of posters on here, certainly including me, as to not having the balls to make these big decisions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FNQ said:

If we want to play Williams or McGuane alongside Bird then I think we should be able to do so without having to ‘shoehorn’ Jason Knight somewhere else into the starting eleven. He isn’t currently doing anywhere near enough to demand automatic selection.

By the way this is consistent with a major criticism of Manning held by a lot of posters on here, certainly including me, as to not having the balls to make these big decisions.

I honestly don’t care whether Knight starts or not, but I don’t think you can say he’s being shoehorned into the side if he’s picked in a position where he’s played for his country.

Not like selecting him instead of Max O’Leary, is it?

20 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I honestly don’t care whether Knight starts or not, but I don’t think you can say he’s being shoehorned into the side if he’s picked in a position where he’s played for his country.

Not like selecting him instead of Max O’Leary, is it?

Who would he be selected instead of?

1 hour ago, FNQ said:

Who would he be selected instead of?

No idea, probably Sykes.

Whoever plays at the back, Max in goal obviously, plus something like this;

Knight Williams/McGuane Bird Hirakawa   

Twine

Armstrong.

As I said before I genuinely don’t care if he’s dropped but this looks more balanced than our current lineup to me.

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No idea, probably Sykes.

Whoever plays at the back, Max in goal obviously, plus something like this;

Knight Williams/McGuane Bird Hirakawa   

Twine

Armstrong.

As I said before I genuinely don’t care if he’s dropped but this looks more balanced than our current lineup to me.

Fair enough and I’m with you on the suggested line up, although personally I would be dropping Knight like a sack of hammers at the earliest opportunity I accept that it’s certainly hard to defend Sykesy’s selection at the moment either, so maybe you’re right. Just wish George Earthy was fit.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Swede said:

Oops, too many big Macs, apologies, I meant McNally!

Max

Tanner                   Vyner                   Roberts             Pring

Bird                 Knight

Armstrong                  Twine                               Hirakawa

Fally

1 hour ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Max

Tanner                   Vyner                   Roberts             Pring

Bird                 Knight

Armstrong                  Twine                               Hirakawa

Fally

I'd be happy with that