IGNORED

RIP Gary Shaw

Jerseybean

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Shocking.  Vaguely recall that hatrick against us in the old first division days.  Very sad.  RIP Gary,

Being slightly older I more than vaguely recollect it, he was so confident in his ability he was untouchable that day. I think he also hit the bar and had a couple efforts saved. He was very similar to Kevin Mabbutt in looks and build, but he was far more graceful around the pitch.

3 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Scored the only goal when Villa beat us in FA Cup 3rd Round in 1983 at AG, one of my first City games and Villa were European Champions. Very sad and undoubtedly a great talent!!

game was jan or early feb 82 week or 2 before the newport game....villa went on to win european cup that season when it was a proper champions league....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

game was jan or early feb 82 week or 2 before the newport game....villa went on to win european cup that season when it was a proper champions league....

That the game villa brought thousands and tried to take the east end but hardly got up the steps and very quickly retreated back down the slope and couldn’t get out quick enough , 

20 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Scored the only goal when Villa beat us in FA Cup 3rd Round in 1983 at AG, one of my first City games and Villa were European Champions. Very sad and undoubtedly a great talent!!

Villa fans barely got through the turnstiles of the EE before they were shooed out again !!!

Gary was in the same role for Aston Villa, their u18 & u21's and some of the Birmingham sides as I fill for the City teams and Rovers. My two lads and I had all covered games for Gary when he went on holiday. By all accounts, he was a lovely fella and incredibly humble when you consider what he achieved in the game.

Last night, somewhat poignantly, I covered the Bristol City under 21 game with the office analyst that did Gary's last game recently. Very sad news and as one of the original in-ground analysts, he will be much missed.

9 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Villa fans barely got through the turnstiles of the EE before they were shooed out again !!!

Was so obvious it was villa coming in ,there were rumours beforehand that they were coming into the EE so many were in early and rather go to the middle blocks many either stayed in the top corner or like me as you come in up against the wall at the back , I remember my mate gave me a leg up so i could see them all queuing to get in ( god how thick were the old bill & stewards back then ) tbf they were a lot trendier than city fans many of them actually looked like Gary shaw ( rip ) with there blonde wedges and light blue cagoules they also had a fair few black lads ( city had a few at the time but every body knew them ) I watched them congregate just inside the turnstiles then come up the slope , as they come in all the city fans were doing there best to hold back so they could at least get to the corner , but I’m afraid the excitement got to much and probably no more than about 25-30 actually made it up the slope and into the end before being as you put it shooed very quickly back out again , I was then back up on the wall hurling cups of tea down on them ( god not proud of that now ) but that’s what happened in those times , would much rather sit down and have a good old chat and a beer with most opposing fans now 

• Facepalm 1

19 hours ago, redkev said:

Was so obvious it was villa coming in ,there were rumours beforehand that they were coming into the EE so many were in early and rather go to the middle blocks many either stayed in the top corner or like me as you come in up against the wall at the back , I remember my mate gave me a leg up so i could see them all queuing to get in ( god how thick were the old bill & stewards back then ) tbf they were a lot trendier than city fans many of them actually looked like Gary shaw ( rip ) with there blonde wedges and light blue cagoules they also had a fair few black lads ( city had a few at the time but every body knew them ) I watched them congregate just inside the turnstiles then come up the slope , as they come in all the city fans were doing there best to hold back so they could at least get to the corner , but I’m afraid the excitement got to much and probably no more than about 25-30 actually made it up the slope and into the end before being as you put it shooed very quickly back out again , I was then back up on the wall hurling cups of tea down on them ( god not proud of that now ) but that’s what happened in those times , would much rather sit down and have a good old chat and a beer with most opposing fans now 

You can facepalm all you want grifty not proud of them days but that’s how it was for a lot of people , like I say much rather a good old chinwag and a beer with opposing supporters now and tell them how shite we are 🙈