IGNORED

Brum v Wrexham

Lanterne Rouge

Wrexham shirt sponsor United Airlines. Birmingham City with rolling advertising boards all round the ground for Delta as their official travel partner. 

Is there much call for transatlantic air travel to get to Mansfield or Exeter away?

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Birmingham fans are either very loyal and optimistic or very thick.

Relegated Year 1 of ownership...

*Season Tickets Sold up 50%

*High rolling games like Wrexham, Hospitality let alone Regular tickets selling well.

Games like Burton,Huddersfield, Mansfield, Northampton, Rotherham replacing Coventry, Derby, Sheffield United, Sheffield Wednesday and West Brom.

Season Tickets sold up 50% and Hospitality selling very well despite such moderate offerings.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We can laugh all we like but Wrexham's owners have demonstrated that within just a couple of years they "get" a football club's relationship with its fans, and wider community, far more than Steve and Jon ever will. And they've even managed to combine it with on-field success too, so far.

Let’s see how they do on the pitch when their league opponents aren’t Cambridge, Shrewsbury or the South Glos jokers, eh?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In all honesty I'm not watching the game as I don't have Sky, how do these 2 compare to the best of the Championship- what is the general standard like?

they dont, its exciting even frantic at times but reminds me of our time in league one. sheff u would pass the ball through both teams, just like they did at hull who were slightly better than when we played tthem but not much.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Let’s see how they do on the pitch when their league opponents aren’t Cambridge, Shrewsbury or the South Glos jokers, eh?

There are plenty of clubs down there, and L2 for that matter, with money Graham... if they win promotion again this season that is one hell of an achievement. And what odds this time next year they'll be above us in the pyramid? 

That aside, look at the investment and initiatives they've brought to the club and city, very impressive. 

They've nothing like the money Steve has either. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Fair comment Graham but at least they get what football means to people who support their team.  They are passionate, enthusiastic, switched on, engaging, engaged and able to delegate well.  All things that our ‘Board’ seemingly have no clue about whatsoever.   Even after 20 years.   Give me them any day of the week.  

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Well there playing the favourites for the division tonight.

looking at the first half be lucky to get a draw. have no problem with what's happening at Wrexham good for them after all the years in non league.

Imagine if we had some joy once in a while.

2 minutes ago, Henry said:

I hope they do go up.

People moan about the PL being a closed shop then moan when a team like Wrexham do well. Despite what Lansdown think, under investing and progressing a couple of league positions a year isn’t the way to go.

No, people moan that the only way to get into and stay in the PL is with a lot of money and a media circus attached. And Wrexham are very much of that ilk.

I remember the days when Oxford went from third tier obscurity to League Cup Winners in Three years. A true fairytale. Ditto the original Wimbledon.

Wrexham are not some plucky underdogs. 

• Like 2
  • Flames 3

5 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I’m sure people were saying similar in respect of Wealdstone, Altrincham etc..when they were top of the National League. 

Not really, their budget amd squad was always going to be sufficient to get out of L2.

Much bigger step up to L1. And to be fair, their fans mostly seem to be realistic about this. It's the media and outsiders who are getting overexcited.

Edited by Northern Red
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I’m sure people were saying similar in respect of Wealdstone, Altrincham etc..when they were top of the National League. 

It took them a fair bit of time to claw their way out of the nonleagues considering how their opponents were all hopelessly outgunned.

Whenever they come up against a team that is actually half decent they tend to come unstuck - Sheff U. in the cup, looks like tonight as well, Brum have just gone 3-1 up.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

Japanese players performing absolutely all over the leagues. Incredible talents they have. Love to see Hirakawa get a start if Manning has the balls. 

Quite apart from his goal Iwata has been very impressive. Always looking for space between the lines and showing for a pass then using the ball well.

8 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

No, people moan that the only way to get into and stay in the PL is with a lot of money and a media circus attached. And Wrexham are very much of that ilk.

I remember the days when Oxford went from third tier obscurity to League Cup Winners in Three years. A true fairytale. Ditto the original Wimbledon.

Those fairytales are very far and few between, hence why it needs to be bankrolled or very good recruitment and trading.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

It took them a fair bit of time to claw their way out of the nonleagues considering how their opponents were all hopelessly outgunned.

Whenever they come up against a team that is actually half decent they tend to come unstuck - Sheff U. in the cup, looks like tonight as well, Brum have just gone 3-1 up.

It took them one full season to get out of the NL. And prior to that they were fan owned and skint, and prior to that had a bastard owner that wanted to sell-off the Racecourse for housing.

Bizarre comment re: Sheff U, who were C'ship when they were L2, yet Wrexham were a minute away from beating them and only lost in a replay, after battering Coventry in the round before...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We can laugh all we like but Wrexham's owners have demonstrated that within just a couple of years they "get" a football club's relationship with its fans, and wider community, far more than Steve and Jon ever will. And they've even managed to combine it with on-field success too, so far.

Be careful what’s wish for, eh? 😉

• Flames 2

Decent game this. Remember good old committed performances? Liam take note. 

Watching this, what the hell has Lansdown been doing in his attempts to sell the club? I can’t think of any reason why the investors in these two clubs wouldn’t have fancied a look at City. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Didn’t Oxford do so because of Robert Maxwell? 

Wimbledon, I’ll grant you.

• Like 1

Lesser of two evils won tonight. Wrectum, I wish you luck against the Rent Boys (not that you need it) but aside from that I loathe that club and everything to do with them. Shower of maggots.

Edited by WessexPest

6 minutes ago, Tony Tootle said:

He's set his asking price far too high.

Yea but in the case of Birmingham their infrastructure needs work and they're set to spend £2bn I've read on a new 60k Stadium, Sports Quarter possibly Etihad type campus..We have a lot of the infrastructure in okay or in the works- how this apparent £2bn Project will be financed well..ownership or other??

My small counterpoint would be £102m or up to for 40% of Ipswich??

I'm struggling to see the ROI at Birmingham.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

18 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Watching this, what the hell has Lansdown been doing in his attempts to sell the club? I can’t think of any reason why the investors in these two clubs wouldn’t have fancied a look at City. 

Wrexham cost McElhenny and Reynolds about £2m, which is looking like a fairly shrewd investment, to say the least.

Birmingham were sold for about £35m of which Brady only owns a small part, I believe.

Steve Lansdown will not be selling for anything like those amounts.

• Like 4