IGNORED

Brum v Wrexham

Lanterne Rouge

Birmingham though plan to spend up to £2bn on their new Sports Quarter.

Suddenly, we could look a comparative bargain by some metrics albeit still obviously well too expensive.

@WessexPest Return on Investment?

I don't agree with £200m for us or the Bristol Sport Group, it feels like nonsense but I'm struggling to see the Return on Investment here for Birmingham New owners.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

23 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Decent game this. Remember good old committed performances? Liam take note. 

Watching this, what the hell has Lansdown been doing in his attempts to sell the club? I can’t think of any reason why the investors in these two clubs wouldn’t have fancied a look at City. 

@Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan has spoken eloquently about this - because the buyer would likely be taking on the entire Bristol Sport kit and caboodle, not just BCFC.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

@GrahamC Does the name “Thames Valley Royals” ring any bells? Maxwell tried to merge the Us with Reading!

I know.

When fans protested he moved on from the idea & funded signings like John Aldridge, Ray Houghton & they won back to back promotions & the Milk (League) cup in 1985 whilst he was chairman.

No way would they have had their success without him.

50 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

@Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan has spoken eloquently about this - because the buyer would likely be taking on the entire Bristol Sport kit and caboodle, not just BCFC.

Yes, I understand this…. so we’re stuck with no realistic chance of investment or takeover because what’s on offer is so unattractive. No one is tripping over themselves to invest in rugby or drag around a basketball team - decent enough they might be, it’s  a very niche spectator sport in the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

Yes, I understand this…. so we’re stuck with no realistic chance of investment or takeover because what’s on offer is so unattractive. No one is tripping over themselves to invest in rugby or drag around a basketball team - decent enough they might be, it’s  a very niche spectator sport in the UK. 

It can't be an absolute cash thing though because can you or anyone explain the potential pathway to ROI if Birmingham e.g. are going for a £2bn Project as mooted.

Are their owners really going to put in £2bn?? That is on top of and separate to investment in the side, presumably separate to investment in bringing St Andrews up to standard, dunno if it overlaps with their Training Ground investment.

I read that Birmingham will likely get £20-30m in Income in League One this year. In an article by Percy with Tom Wagner.

That is strong but isn't at the levels or quite in the range of what Birmingham fans were crowing about or have been. I seem to recall Ipswich, Derby and Sheffield Wednesday in to that range in recent years down there..albeit closer to £20m than £30m perhaps.

9 hours ago, TV Tom said:
11 hours ago, redkev said:

Not the IRA sympathiser McLean though would quite happily punch the pricks lights out 

I would probably be an IRA  sympathiser if I was from Derry and had a family member killed by the British army 

Back then in the British army it was either kill or be killed , fighting a faceless army with the IRA , bloke serving you in the garage with petrol or a labourer on a building site one minute a killer / bomber the next . 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DaveF said:

I wouldn't say no to having the Wrexham owners at City...

They would certainly give the football club a lift. The Bristol Sport concept is doomed to fail. Said it on here many times over the years. You can stick the rugby, basket ball etc, all I want is a successful football club in Bristol. Need new owners with a decent senior management/answerable Board setup desperately, rather than this tinpot setup currently, laughable.

Wrexham FC will be overtaking Bristol City soon, the way its going.

I work in Birmingham. My colleague is a season ticket holder and was there last night. He's very optomistic about the future of the club but game to game, he still goes in expecting to lose because of how bad they're been the last few years. He hasn't acclimatised to league 1 level. 

First words out of his mouth when he walked in 

"TGH is quality" 

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yea but in the case of Birmingham their infrastructure needs work and they're set to spend £2bn I've read on a new 60k Stadium, Sports Quarter possibly Etihad type campus..We have a lot of the infrastructure in okay or in the works- how this apparent £2bn Project will be financed well..ownership or other??

My small counterpoint would be £102m or up to for 40% of Ipswich??

I'm struggling to see the ROI at Birmingham.

Is that right, 60K?

No disrespect to Brum, who are a sleeping giant in many ways but no chance do they need a stadium anything like that big.

4 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Is that right, 60K?

No disrespect to Brum, who are a sleeping giant in many ways but no chance do they need a stadium anything like that big.

So I've been reading yeah. Well it's been widely reported.

60k Stadium within a 'Sporting Quarter', not sure of the full plans but their fans keep going on about The Project on Social Media and genuinely sound smug and insufferable.

Intrigued as to how they intend to finance it, surely the owners themselves aren't putting in £2bn??

https://x.com/search?src=typed_query&q="The project" bcfc

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

So I've been reading yeah. Well it's been widely reported.

60k Stadium within a 'Sporting Quarter', not sure of the full plans but their fans keep going on about The Project on Social Media and genuinely sound smug and insufferable.

Intrigued as to how they intend to finance it, surely the owners themselves aren't putting in £2bn??

Wow. Yes, I can imagine they are, particularly as Villa’s attempts to refurbish their ground keep running into trouble.

However, we all know how it ends when the small blue neighbours crow “We’ve got our stadium” don’t we. ;) They’d probably be wise not to count too many chickens.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, WessexPest said:

Wow. Yes, I can imagine they are, particularly as Villa’s attempts to refurbish their ground keep running into trouble.

However, we all know how it ends when the small blue neighbours crow “We’ve got our stadium” don’t we. ;) They’d probably be wise not to count too many chickens.

Quite and yeah it's uncharted territory in a way but you need only look at Twitter and even that blogger who I've quoted on the FFP thread before (Almajir) who just seems to have lost the critical analysis of the off pitch stuff.

Most who do this even top clubs get if financed by Private Finance which can be 8-10% Annual Interest, maybe 5% if you're lucky. If it's financed by Owners long term it not, the Return on Investment just ain't feasible.

I dunno whether to laud their loyalty or laugh at the lunacy of Relegation to the 3rd Tier seeing..

*Season Tickets Sold rising by 50%.

*Hospitality Prices increasing-

*Regular sell-outs so far at Home.

Barnsley, Rotherham have replaced the Sheffield clubs.

Burton, Mansfield and Northampton have replaced Coventry, Derby and WBA.

Huddersfield have replaced Leeds.

It's a major major downgrade Geographical equivalent and Club size.

19 hours ago, David Brent said:

I’m sure people were saying similar in respect of Wealdstone, Altrincham etc..when they were top of the National League. 

No they weren't.

Wrexham pissing their way up to League 1 was always inevitable. The only League 2 side who has even close to a similar level of backing was Stockport (who beat them to the League 2 title).

Now Wrexham aren't going to be the moneybags team of the division and can't expect everyone to roll over for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

No they weren't.

Wrexham pissing their way up to League 1 was always inevitable. The only League 2 side who has even close to a similar level of backing was Stockport (who beat them to the League 2 title).

Now Wrexham aren't going to be the moneybags team of the division and can't expect everyone to roll over for them.

Both Brum & Wrexham have yet to play the real Hollywood club of the league 👀

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

No they weren't.

Yeah probably right tbf

23 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

We can laugh all we like but Wrexham's owners have demonstrated that within just a couple of years they "get" a football club's relationship with its fans, and wider community, far more than Steve and Jon ever will. And they've even managed to combine it with on-field success too, so far.

Spot on, they need to sell up asap. Killing the football club.

• Flames 1