IGNORED

McBane, McGuian Curious

Lorenzos Only Goal

I've seen a few people putting him in their team ahead of Williams.

My view at the moment is until he proves himself as a substitute over a few games he's a vanity signing.

I know he had a little cameo for Barca's B side but he to me feels like a, show me you deserve a start kind of signing, rather than a we've signed a superstar he must start.

If you think he deserves a start why?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

Just now, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

My view at the moment is until he proves himself as a substitute over a few games he's a vanity signing.

I know he had a little cameo for Barca's B side but he to me feels like a, show me you deserve a start kind of signing, rather than a we've signed a superstar he must start.

I think you could argue (not saying I am) that in a certain set-up he might be the best player for role.  And if that were the case, why wouldn’t you?

Summer recruitment, seemed decent in terms of who we brought in, but also some critique of players leaving like TGH and Stokes on loan, and “extra” players being brought in.

But…now we’ve seen the system in earnest in league competition, it feels a bit disjointed.  That’s not saying it is, just it feels that way.

I’m intrigued to see what Manning does Saturday.

Will he stick with his preseason plan from a formation point of view?  Will he tweak the personnel?

Or will he “sledgehammer” it and go back-3? Manning would probably argue that’s not a big change anyway.  Remember him disagreeing with Piercy after PNE (a) for example.

I rarely worry about who takes the 11 shirts, we have a fairly similar ability squad.

Hope we get a few pointers in the press conference.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, KegCity said:

Think it's harsh to call him a vanity signing, it's still September.

Agree he needs to make an appearance off the bench before entering the starting XI.

You're right it's harsh, I just feel after two 3-0 defeats you would think he might have had a look in by now. And I'd if you're Manning and you've got him on the bench at 25, if you don't think he can influence the game why did you buy him?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I genuinely just had to scroll through our squad list to work out who you were talking about.

I realise that is partly a reflection of my apathy/separation from it all, but bloody hell… it does feel like a throwback to the Lee Johnson days the way we’ve stockpiled players this summer.

Doesn't it, wait until you see the length of the contracts.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westonred said:

Talking of summer signings what happened to the Irish lad we were after Murphy was it ? did he ever sign for us as i looked at the players profiles on City site theres no sign of him

Adam Murphy is an interesting one. We did sign him, and he's not ready/fit?

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal

36 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think you could argue (not saying I am) that in a certain set-up he might be the best player for role.  And if that were the case, why wouldn’t you?

Summer recruitment, seemed decent in terms of who we brought in, but also some critique of players leaving like TGH and Stokes on loan, and “extra” players being brought in.

But…now we’ve seen the system in earnest in league competition, it feels a bit disjointed.  That’s not saying it is, just it feels that way.

I’m intrigued to see what Manning does Saturday.

Will he stick with his preseason plan from a formation point of view?  Will he tweak the personnel?

Or will he “sledgehammer” it and go back-3? Manning would probably argue that’s not a big change anyway.  Remember him disagreeing with Piercy after PNE (a) for example.

I rarely worry about who takes the 11 shirts, we have a fairly similar ability squad.

Hope we get a few pointers in the press conference.

I think if Manning rates him he should play him, he's spent the clubs money signing him.  If he's not worthy of a subs appearance he shouldn't have bloody signed him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, westonred said:

Talking of summer signings what happened to the Irish lad we were after Murphy was it ? did he ever sign for us as i looked at the players profiles on City site theres no sign of him

Injured agai…sorry, doing a ‘long pre season’.

They seemed to be reinventing history over him before that too, and repositioning him as solely an u21 player, despite tinnion calling him one of the best talents in Ireland, and the media team giving him all the media hype of a first team signing. 

From what I’ve heard, he’s hasn’t particularly impressed when he has played either. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 2

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

You're right it's harsh, I just feel after two 3-0 defeats you would think he might have had a look in by now. And I'd if you're Manning and you've got him on the bench at 25, if you don't think he can influence the game why did you buy him?

At Derby (as I said before) we were the better side up until when they scored, even then I felt it was even until they got the second. Then you have to chase the game . He chased it by throwing on 4 attacking Subs , 2 after they got the 2nd and 2 more when panic set it.
Blackburn , well I didn't think there was much in the game even at 1-0. They showed more urgency and intent , but let us coast as we didn't offer a threat. He did swap Armstrong & Mayulu at half time , but waited until they got the 2nd to press the panic button with 2 attacking subs. 
He did give Roberts a run and it feels like he keeps one back just in case.

So maybe he didn't give him a run because circumstances and wanting to hold one Sub just in case , but Blackburn felt like it should have been time to throw him in. 
With no proof at all , it starts to feel like Mebude .

• Like 1

As I was busy at the weekend I didn’t follow the game as closely as usual so only realised on Sunday we only used 4 subs & 3 of those were made at the same time.

If I was Wells, Cornick or this chap I’d be wondering why I was even on the bench if I didn’t get a go when we are 3 down.

He’s played a fair bit for Oxford, but I have no idea if he’s good enough, or the answer.

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

As I was busy at the weekend I didn’t follow the game as closely as usual so only realised on Sunday we only used 4 subs & 3 of those were made at the same time.

If I was Wells, Cornick or this chap I’d be wondering why I was even on the bench if I didn’t get a go when we are 3 down.

He’s played a fair bit for Oxford, but I have no idea if he’s good enough, or the answer.

Wells had a terrific pre season. He must be really miffed at not getting a sniff of action.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

The reason I'd like to see him is he is the only legitimate pivot player we have in the squad. Bird could do the role too, although he's more of a hybrid 8 imo. Knight and Williams need to be as far from our centre halves in possession as physically possible.

We need that connection between midfield and defence. It can either come from an inversion from WCB or full back (Only Haydon has the mobility and ability for that) or we play Kal as a central CB who steps forward (Like in his first season). 

We cannot continue with a double 8 and 10 midfield with 4 at the back. We aren't good enough for that. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Wells had a terrific pre season. He must be really miffed at not getting a sniff of action.

Yes but he hardly covered himself in glory when he came on against Coventry and passed to no-one when well placed to shoot late on.

This is when you want his experience so perhaps he put himself at the back of the queue again?

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Yes but he hardly covered himself in glory when he came on against Coventry and passed to no-one when well placed to shoot late on.

This is when you want his experience so perhaps he put himself at the back of the queue again?

if our coach bases his selection on individual mistakes then he is worse than we think.

I don't for one second think that is the case. Because that's batshit.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Not sure being banished to the bench and not getting a sniff of action in consecutive 3-0 defeats is going to help moral though.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Also worth pointing out that whilst there is understandable focus on us shipping goals, the only one we have scored in the last three was a worldie from our right back.

I doubt very much the plan is for George Tanner to be the player scoring the goals that get us to climb the table..

Nakhi certainly won’t score many if he doesn’t get on the pitch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The reason Twine is stuck out wide Left, and wasted, is because the Knight is captain and the coach hasnt found the bollix yet to stop compromising and drop Williams.

If he did that and put Bird back with Knight, Twine could play centrally and give us the best chance of creating more goals, or at least opportunities.

That seems to be the consensus as to step 1 in improving on a dire start to the season.

None of that involves picking McGuane!

As for Knight, agree with others who say he needs to be as far away from our centre halves as possible in build up play. Marlon Pack he is not. From what I've seen so far, he seems better suited higher up the pitch, hassling the opposition into coughing up possession. But how that fits with playing Twine more centrally plus wide attackers and getting the most out of Bird's all round excellence, is a conundrum.

Problems to solve, and I'll fitting parts, already!

Perhaps the MK Dons system of 3 at the back and then 2 "DCMs", one being McGuane, is where we'll end up. That causes selection problems further up the pitch, though.

But first, the coach needs to realise that the best 11 players don't necessarily make the best team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

The reason I'd like to see him is he is the only legitimate pivot player we have in the squad. Bird could do the role too, although he's more of a hybrid 8 imo. Knight and Williams need to be as far from our centre halves in possession as physically possible.

We need that connection between midfield and defence. It can either come from an inversion from WCB or full back (Only Haydon has the mobility and ability for that) or we play Kal as a central CB who steps forward (Like in his first season). 

We cannot continue with a double 8 and 10 midfield with 4 at the back. We aren't good enough for that. 

Pivot player --- hybrid 8 -- Holding 6 =

God wouldnt it be great if MIDFIELDERS were MIDFIELDERS

Able to tackle - Able to track back - Able to get box to box  - Able to pass a ball - Able to get a few goals  That is a Midfielder

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Able to tackle - Able to track back - Able to get box to box  - Able to pass a ball - Able to get a few goals  That is a Midfielder

I think all this myself when these conversations start up again (and again and again and again)

We lost on Saturday because we couldn’t pass, got beaten in the tackle, won few seconds, couldn’t handle a two footed player and showed little fight

All the talk of eights tens false nines deep midfielders is all just bollox if you r team is as effing pedestrian as we were with obviously no will to fight and in certain areas worse. 

Yes the players looked confused and were terrified to lose the ball so they played in a way that absolutely guaranteed we eventually would as we showed the intent of a six year old girl in the tackle.  

Mr Manning picked an LJ style square pegs in round holes team with his best players on the bench. 

It reminded me of paying 6m for Wells and LJ leaving him on the bench. Here we go again!! 

Mr Manning is wholly responsible for this malaise. 

If things turn bad against Oxford a game THEY desperately want to win, he will be under immense pressure. We have the players to seriously mount a challenge this season. The manager needs to step up….before we hear BT has taken temporary control of the first team!….!

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

Bloody Dave Rennie … oh wait. 

Completely speculative, but I wonder whether he had any input into why the original (alleged) deal didn’t go through last summer.  Was a lot of talk of “failed medical” at the time.  Eventually signed in January.

• Like 3

If a midfielder had all those attributes they would be playing for Real Madrid e.g. Jude Bellingham. In the Championship you need to find the right combination of players. As I said in another thread since James departed we haven't got a No 6 per sa. Although Bird and McGuane are good passers, I am not sure whether they are best suited to a deeper role.i.e. protecting the defence. If you play two No 8's (Knight and Williams or Bird for that matter), you have to ensure one of you is in a position to recover when you lose position. It can be done, but it requires a very good understanding between the players which takes time. Understand from Fevs that Knight and Bird didn't play centrally together at Derby, So a partnership would need to developed. There is an expectation from some fans that this will immediately fall into place but it needs game time. 

5 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Hes bound to be better then williams I don't know what anyone sees in joe apart from being a tough tackler which then leads to bookings hes awful. He isn't strong rarely wins his 50/50s poor in the air and his ball retention isn't great eaither we really miss a matty james type of player 

1 hour ago, Solent Robin said:

If a midfielder had all those attributes they would be playing for Real Madrid e.g. Jude Bellingham. In the Championship you need to find the right combination of players. As I said in another thread since James departed we haven't got a No 6 per sa. Although Bird and McGuane are good passers, I am not sure whether they are best suited to a deeper role.i.e. protecting the defence. If you play two No 8's (Knight and Williams or Bird for that matter), you have to ensure one of you is in a position to recover when you lose position. It can be done, but it requires a very good understanding between the players which takes time. Understand from Fevs that Knight and Bird didn't play centrally together at Derby, So a partnership would need to developed. There is an expectation from some fans that this will immediately fall into place but it needs game time. 

I'm sorry but how much time do they need to understand that if one goes forward the other one stays put. That is a basic of any midfield partnership.

BTW Knight played a lot of his last season for Derby at RB.

2 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The reason Twine is stuck out wide Left, and wasted, is because the Knight is captain and the coach hasnt found the bollix yet to stop compromising and drop Williams.

If he did that and put Bird back with Knight, Twine could play centrally and give us the best chance of creating more goals, or at least opportunities.

That seems to be the consensus as to step 1 in improving on a dire start to the season.

As for Knight, agree with others who say he needs to be as far away from our centre halves as possible in build up play. Marlon Pack he is not. From what I've seen so far, he seems better suited higher up the pitch, hassling the opposition into coughing up possession. But how that fits with playing Twine more centrally plus wide attackers and getting the most out of Bird's all round excellence, is a conundrum.

Perhaps the MK Dons system of 3 at the back and then 2 "DCMs", one being McGuane, is where we'll end up. That causes selection problems further up the pitch, though.

But first, the coach needs to realise that the best 11 players don't necessarily make the best team.

I'm amazed they haven't tried a straight swap , Bird moving left and Twine into the central 10 role that Manning has lusted after him for.  Bird seems an intelligent player, makes good runs and works hard for the team, I think he'd link better with Pring too.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Completely speculative, but I wonder whether he had any input into why the original (alleged) deal didn’t go through last summer.  Was a lot of talk of “failed medical” at the time.  Eventually signed in January.

How many games has he managed for the U21's ? 
There was the goal that was shown on Youtube , but I haven't even heard his name since.

Just to prove he is real ...

5 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Do you want to upset us all and spill the beans on contract lengths?

Edited by M.D

4 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

What are we good enough for , if you know please let manning know , 

are we panicking as fans after 2 defeats ( I am I’m afraid ) 

6 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Haydon must be wondering wtf he did wrong.  McNally gets signed and started Infront of him.  Very capable player IMO 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

I was about to reply that he was tested as a stop gap 10 and did better than expected,  but having spent what we did on Twine he has to accept his place. 

Then I remembered Manning is playing him on the left. 

12 hours ago, The Journalist said:

I genuinely just had to scroll through our squad list to work out who you were talking about.

I realise that is partly a reflection of my apathy/separation from it all, but bloody hell… it does feel like a throwback to the Lee Johnson days the way we’ve stockpiled players this summer.

Who's McBane ?

17 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agree with that; although ironically last season the criticism seemed to be that we were playing Knight too far forward all the time!! He’s not a Marlon Pack, but he probably needs one, or a Cole Skuse, alongside him? (And much as I’d prefer Bird deeper, I’m not sure he’s that either).

Fitting the parts - and also having made Knight captain makes dropping him more difficult? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Must admit I don’t have too much of a problem with 4 year contracts. They seem to have become the norm elsewhere too.

At least now we’ll get two years out of a player before all the talk turns to how long is left on his contract and making sure we don’t lose him for nothing: all that happening after a player’s been with us barely 12 months had been getting silly in my view.

Comes with greater risks, of course - and you still have to accept that a % of signings still won’t work out - that’s always going to be the case. 

• Like 2

After back to back 3-0 shockers, I don’t think it’s about him proving himself worthy of starting, but more so those who are currently holding down a place in the starting 11 having played themselves out of it.

There is no way in my eyes Manning can start the same midfield three after the last couple of results.

12 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Haydon must be wondering wtf he did wrong.  McNally gets signed and started Infront of him.  Very capable player IMO 

of course, although with limitations defensively IMO. 

I for one wouldn't be keen to see him playing CB in a 4 and I'm not particularly keen on him at LB (As much to do with Pring's superiority in recovery as it is to do with concerns over HR's 1v1 defending). However, at LCB he was excellent. Progressive, clever and is head and shoulders above the rest of our team in terms of recognising and implementing rotations (De Zerbi influence, most likely). 

The issue we face is that the team is the optimum formation for the players we have is a 3 at the back. Our best and most consistent performances (not necessarily results) have been in a variation of that shape for quite some time. Under Nige or LM. 

Edited by BobBobBobbin

17 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

BARCLAYS...

Those "midfielders" from yester year you're pining for would be overrun, out thought and out manoeuvred if they came up against role specialists now. There's a reason why Barcelona made United players give up in a CL final. They couldn't get near them.

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, italian dave said:

Must admit I don’t have too much of a problem with 4 year contracts. They seem to have become the norm elsewhere too.

At least now we’ll get two years out of a player before all the talk turns to how long is left on his contract and making sure we don’t lose him for nothing: all that happening after a player’s been with us barely 12 months had been getting silly in my view.

Comes with greater risks, of course - and you still have to accept that a % of signings still won’t work out - that’s always going to be the case. 

Nor me, especially for the younger players who we want to not lose OOC in future.  Ferguson was a great believer in the re-contract cycle starting 2 years before the end.  If they wouldn’t sign a new deal then, he looked to manoeuvre them out for a fee.  He didn’t want to wait until the next summer when they only had a year left.  Looks like Peterborough do similar but for a year to go.

It'll never be perfect, but at least the right intent is there.

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

BARCLAYS...

Those "midfielders" from yester year you're pining for would be overrun, out thought and out manoeuvred if they came up against role specialists now. There's a reason why Barcelona made United players give up in a CL final. They couldn't get near them.

I kinda disagree.  And I revert back to Everton’s midfield of Steven, Reid, Bracewell and Sheedy.  They all had roles…we just didn’t have FIFA and FM to help us standardise them in our lingo.  Same as Man Utd, they just got schooled tactically.

• Like 4