IGNORED

Liam Pre Match - Deja Vu anyone?

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

The fact he thinks three and a half games so far have been really good is a concern.

First half Millwall and first half Coventry maybe.

Hull was a really difficult one to gauge but despite their bombscare back line we still would have been 2 down bar Max. I’d say we played OK but not great.

Millwall first 20 very good. Next 50 poor. Next 20 manic

Coventry first half good

Derby first 20 good

Didnt see Blackburn but going on consensus.

If we say that Hull was 50% good, then I think a charitable analysis is out of 450 minutes of football we’ve played well on 

45 + 40 + 45 + 20 + 0, so 150/350 - or about 43% of games (at best) - and notably, trending downwards. It certainly isn’t 315/450 as Liam suggests.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Careful what you say about Williams. I was slated for suggesting he has been part of the problem for far too long!

Will stand by my comment and die on that hill. Should never have given him a new contract. Don’t care if people said he was like a good free transfer. He is utter tripe

• Flames 1

What strikes me with these pressers is his lack of emotion as he drifts off into yet more behaviours & on the grass riddles. How does he motivate the players? Does he get out his stamp collection? It really is a worry. Unfortunately (for him) one draws comparisons & the way the previous manager conducted his press conferences, made them engaging, answered questions at length, was in complete control, left no one in any doubt about his motivation whether you were on the bus or not. I'm afraid the current coach isn't on the bus, he's on a scooter miles behind.

• Like 15
  • Flames 3

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Knows Oxford and players well. Not giving the Oxford fans too much attention but finds it disappointing considering where the club were when he found them and left them

I also felt his comments about Oxford were quite poor considering they saved his managerial career. There was no "I really enjoyed my time at Oxford and I look forward to meeting up with some familiar faces" as you would expect. 

Instead his mindset is "we left them in a much better place"

Instead he seems quite annoyed by the fact he's having to face his former club. I think he feels as if the criticisms he's recieved from their fans has been unfair but when you do things like saying goodbye to players and staff via zoom then you're opening yourself up to criticisms. 

• Like 7

I've just watched half of it and it's just a regulation pre match presser. Nothing in there of concern.

Some of the posts on here make it sound like he was throwing players under the bus, which he absolutely doesn't. He frequently praises them. 

It's clear that Twine will be moved to the middle and he pretty much explains that he kept the original line up because it seemed to be working.

He answers the questions without giving much away. Fine by me.

Saturday is what matters.

Edited by mozo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BeggyBlaggers said:

The minute a manager turns it onto the players, saying they have to step up and take responsibility - you know they arent playing for him.

It took pearson god knows how long to drum confidence into them - hence the upturn in defensive performances, to now its all back to their fault......bearing in mind Manning doesnt get off his arse to change said tactics and plans, or even try and motivate his players....hes as good as washing his hands of any responsibility.

Call me crazy, but you'd think that a good head coach would take each player he has and work tactics and plans to their strengths......

Sooner this textbook exercise coach is out the club, the better.

Hes as much personality as my dogs morning shite.

That’s a bit harsh……on your dogs morning shite 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Hull was a really difficult one to gauge but despite their bombscare back line we still would have been 2 down bar Max. I’d say we played OK but not great.

Millwall first 20 very good. Next 50 poor. Next 20 manic

Coventry first half good

Derby first 20 good

Didnt see Blackburn but going on consensus.

If we say that Hull was 50% good, then I think a charitable analysis is out of 450 minutes of football we’ve played well on 

45 + 40 + 45 + 20 + 0, so 150/350 - or about 43% of games (at best) - and notably, trending downwards. It certainly isn’t 315/450 as Liam suggests.

I've always had niggling doubts about Liams integrity and this doesn't help to eliminate those doubts. 

I can understand a manager wanting to put a positive spin on things but when he says we were really good in 3 and a half games that's just at the very least exaggerating our performances and therefore the gap between his words and reality become too wide. 

Over time people tend to respect honesty and accountability more than attempts to spin things positively. 

I feel like there is a lot of self serving bias going on with Liam. He often speaks about collective responsibility but then removes himself from any blame. Over time fans and players will become tired of that (as we're now seeing) 

Us fans are highly attuned to our performances. I don't think many will disagree with your analysis. So for Liam to say we've been really good in 3.5 games is just going to create additional pressure on him. 

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

I've just watched half of it and it's just a regulation pre match presser. Nothing in there of concern.

Some of the posts on here make it sound like he was throwing players under the bus, which he absolutely doesn't. He frequently praises them. 

It's clear that Twine will be moved to the middle and he pretty much explains that he kept the original line up because it seemed to be working.

Interesting take… how do you know what he said in the second half of it?

10 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I've always had niggling doubts about Liams integrity and this doesn't help to eliminate those doubts. 

I can understand a manager wanting to put a positive spin on things but when he says we were really good in 3 and a half games that's just at the very least exaggerating our performances and therefore the gap between his words and reality become too wide. 

Over time people tend to respect honesty and accountability more than attempts to spin things positively. 

I feel like there is a lot of self serving bias going on with Liam. He often speaks about collective responsibility but then removes himself from any blame. Over time fans and players will become tired of that (as we're now seeing) 

Us fans are highly attuned to our performances. I don't think many will disagree with your analysis. So for Liam to say we've been really good in 3.5 games is just going to create additional pressure on him. 

I genuinely don’t think he has got integrity. Theres a reason Oxford fans hate him if you read up on it and it’s not that he left, it’s how he left. And if you have five minutes, listen to the Wayne Brown (GK coach) interview about how Liam got rid of him.

We know he’s bullshitted in interviews. Four years management and no academy products isn’t “looking to the academy” no matter how he spins it. We’ve seen how he plays. It’s not front foot football, no matter how he spins it.

Despite what one observer says, today was again a “not me guv” putting it on the players and not him.

But let me be clear. None of that would matter if he produced at the job he was employed to do. Football fans are fickle. We may say we want local boys, attacking football etc but if we were top and boring out 1-0 wins every week there may be concerns but nobody really would care. But he’s on less ppg than his predecessor having spent a load of money on “his players”, including one who I firmly believe will go down as one of the worst signings this club has ever made.

The fact he’s been backed, but regressed the side, while lacking integrity (and I’m happy to say that), is a toxic combination. So, integrity isn’t the issue - the whole is. And he hasn’t got a huge amount of time to change that.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 4

1 hour ago, mozo said:

It is certainly turning out to be a regulation Liam Manning interview.  It’s less about throwing players under the bus and more about waffling answers.  He’s lost that confidence in his answers, so it’s not about not giving anything away, it’s more about not even answering the question(s) or half-hearted answers.  He no longer sounds like he’s on auto-pilot, and I think LM in a semblance of self preservation mode is not a good watch / listen.  And that was under fairly straightforward questioning from Ed and (I assume) Pepe. There was little enthusiasm in his answer about the 3 midfielders (Williams, Knight and Bird) and the facets they bring.

+++++

Like last Saturday?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is certainly turning out to be a regulation Liam Manning interview.  It’s less about throwing players under the bus and more about waffling answers.  He’s lost that confidence in his answers, so it’s not about not giving anything away, it’s more about not even answering the question(s) or half-hearted answers.  He no longer sounds like he’s on auto-pilot, and I think LM in a semblance of self preservation mode is not a good watch / listen.  And that was under fairly straightforward questioning from Ed and (I assume) Pepe. There was little enthusiasm in his answer about the 3 midfielders (Williams, Knight and Bird) and the facets they bring.

+++++

Like last Saturday?

Saturday 2pm is a big moment. If Twine isn’t at 10, Bird at 6, Yu starting wide and Roberts not in the team then it’s time to say goodbye. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Saturday 2pm is a big moment. If Twine isn’t at 10, Bird at 6, Yu starting wide and Roberts not in the team then it’s time to say goodbye. 

I think by suggesting our problems are down to selection errors it takes away from what our actual problems are. 

We can play all the players in their correct positions but that's just putting a plaster on things. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Not a fan of Manning or his style of play but didn't see to much wrong with that.

Seems to me a lot reading between the lines on here.

Fancy us to play well Saturday and win well.

God help him should we get beat.

Our home performances have been pretty good obviously the away form needs sorting. I fancy us on Saturday 

I don't think I've ever wanted City to lose, but I really hope we get stuffed by Oxford 3-0.

I hope we play as bad as we've done recently.

I want him gone asap. 

The sooner he's gone the better. 

Otherwise it's going to be a season around the relegation zone.

Bloke is inept at this level.

So boring and unmotivational.

If I had to work under him everyday, I'd be looking to move. 

I don't know one fan that rates him or has warmed to him.

I can't see one positive of him being here. 

Our owners and BT are so out of touch with what's needed at this club, both for the team and the fans. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 3

8 hours ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

What about if we subsequently win despite none of that happening?

Or would it not count?

• Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

What about if we subsequently win despite none of that happening?

Or would it not count?

I’ve said we’ll win 3-0 on Saturday.  That would either be massively painting over the cracks, or show the start of an upward curve. 

I still think it’s too early to judge. November would probably be a fair point to assess where things are headed, but a defeat on Saturday (and certainly another 3-0) and I think he’d be on the edge of the sack. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Like last Saturday?

Yes, like last Saturday, in which he didn't deliver, and now the pressures on. I don't think Manning should have said that in the presser though.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't think I've ever wanted City to lose, but I really hope we get stuffed by Oxford 3-0.

I want him gone asap. 

Our owners and BT are so out of touch with what's needed at this club, both for the team and the fans. 

At least you're honest. It goes to show there are genuinely people out there that want us to lose to spite the manager.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mozo said:

At least you're honest. It goes to show there are genuinely people out there that want us to lose to spite the manager.

I think there’s times (and not for me at this moment) where it’s abundantly clear where things are headed. The end is inevitable so why not hurry it along? 

I’ve definitely felt in the past there would be long term benefits to losing a game. 

• Like 3

I don't think he knows what he's doing. He's too concerned about the opposition. The worry now is that his fragile confidence is at a low ebb. Oxford already have his tactics worked out and don't need any further motivation on or off the pitch to rub his nose into it and also teach us a lesson. Its because they play to their strengths and are carrying on from the success of last season. This guy has been given the tools but doesn't know how to use them. Its almost as if its too big a job for him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Swede said:

I don't think he knows what he's doing. He's too concerned about the opposition. The worry now is that his fragile confidence is at a low ebb. Oxford already have his tactics worked out and don't need any further motivation on or off the pitch to rub his nose into it and also teach us a lesson. Its because they play to their strengths and are carrying on from the success of last season. This guy has been given the tools but doesn't know how to use them. Its almost as if its too big a job for him.

Losing at home to Oxford will be a major embarrassment. Especially as we are marketing the game for our fans of the future. Must win. He won’t be sacked even if we lost 3 or 4 nil, because JL, BT have backed him as their man. what a mess. Lets hope for the sake of the club we win but PLAY WELL, don’t want another Swansea at home paper over the cracks scraper  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mozo said:

It's not to "spite the manager" though, is it. It's because he believes that it would be best for the club in the long run. FWIW, I hope we thrash Oxford. Even if we do, it won't change my opinion that Manning needs to be got rid of ASAP.

• Like 5

When do you ever hear Pep, Arteta, Klopp talk like that. He is so Sunday league! 

It's almost demeaning. I love a good nickname but please be a bit more creative. Adding an 'ee' or 'y' doesn't do it. Forcing the notion of camaraderie? 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

I want him gone asap. 

Makes more sense knowing that he wasn't first choice. #panicbuy

6 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

It's not to "spite the manager" though, is it. It's because he believes that it would be best for the club in the long run. FWIW, I hope we thrash Oxford. Even if we do, it won't change my opinion that Manning needs to be got rid of ASAP.

short-term pain for longterm gain

8 hours ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

* joey, knighty, birdy

I thought that offered more than the letter “Y”.

I think some of those will happen, dunno which ones though.  If he switches to a back-3, that changes some of that,

7 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think by suggesting our problems are down to selection errors it takes away from what our actual problems are. 

We can play all the players in their correct positions but that's just putting a plaster on things. 

Yep, there are some fundamental flaws (imho as a fan), and yesterday’s presser made that clear.  His go-to patterns are based on a back-3 shape, yet he’s doing it with a back-4, and that creates obvious issues transitioning from out of possession to into possession and vice-versa.

It feels like he’s trying to be too clever.

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

@spudski, please correct me….id imagine you want City to win every game, but you’re saying if losing one game - this Saturday - meant getting rid, you’d take it?  Is that right?

3 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

As per above.

1 minute ago, Shauntaylor85 said:

Losing at home to Oxford will be a major embarrassment. Especially as we are marketing the game for our fans of the future. Must win. He won’t be sacked even if we lost 3 or 4 nil, because JL, BT have backed him as their man. what a mess. Lets hope for the sake of the club we win but PLAY WELL, don’t want another Swansea at home paper over the cracks scraper  

It would definitely be an embarrassment if we lose.

I think 4 points from these next 2 games would get us back to acceptability, even if not where we arguable should be (a record of 2-3-2 with two winnable home games to come).

So, a draw v Oxford would be dissatisfying, but at least could turn the tide. I could definitely see them taking the lead early and us having to fight back. 

We really should be looking at 2ppg for the next 4 games which would leave us with 13 from 9. At that point you'd hope we'd be more confident going into 3 tough games.

These 4 matches are pretty important.

10 minutes ago, Colemanballs said:

I was just trying to find a quick way of phrasing it

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

@spudski, please correct me….id imagine you want City to win every game, but you’re saying if losing one game - this Saturday - meant getting rid, you’d take it?  Is that right?

..."but I really hope we get stuffed by Oxford 3-0.

I hope we play as bad as we've done recently"

Fair play to anyone that sits through his pre match interviews and press conferences. I’ve tried a few times but just find it such hard work, full of deflection and management phrases and nonsense, delivered in such a robotic, monotone way. 

It’s hard to see how he motivates the players with this style, unless of course he’s different in training and in the dressing room.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I’m worried we’ll get a similar game to QPR at home last season (post Southampton..) 

The onus will be on us to attack and I think a lot of people aren’t going to like the performance. Oxford don’t have the best away form and will probably look to frustrate us (that shouldn’t be too difficult) 

23 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I’m worried we’ll get a similar game to QPR at home last season (post Southampton..) 

The onus will be on us to attack and I think a lot of people aren’t going to like the performance. Oxford don’t have the best away form and will probably look to frustrate us (that shouldn’t be too difficult) 

Not sure about that, Oxford have started quite well and don't appear to be an inherently defensive side.

Yes 2/2 Losses on the Road and yes they got pushed back majorly at Coventry, but they will be targeting this game, forget Manning they'll be targeting this as a game to get something from IMO.

34 minutes ago, mozo said:

..."but I really hope we get stuffed by Oxford 3-0.

I hope we play as bad as we've done recently"

See my response to Dave.

It's not to spite the manager.

I think he's taking us backwards.

A big defeat and poor performance will help get rid early. 

A win every 5 games is not what we need. 

Plus I also don't think many fans like him as our manager. 

That means a lot imo. Less pressure. 

Just now, spudski said:

See my response to Dave.

I'm not having a go. I don't mind if you have that view.

It was clear from your post what you were saying.

Literally anything could happen this Saturday. You might get your wish.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I think as its a must not lose game for Manning that may cause us to go quite cautious like we've seen Manning do before. 

11 hours ago, Swede said:

What strikes me with these pressers is his lack of emotion as he drifts off into yet more behaviours & on the grass riddles. How does he motivate the players? Does he get out his stamp collection? It really is a worry. Unfortunately (for him) one draws comparisons & the way the previous manager conducted his press conferences, made them engaging, answered questions at length, was in complete control, left no one in any doubt about his motivation whether you were on the bus or not. I'm afraid the current coach isn't on the bus, he's on a scooter miles behind.

He doesn't.  That's why we're usually an even bigger car crash between 45 & 60 mins.  He's had them in for a half time tea talk and they come out half asleep.

The biggest issue in the first 3.5 minutes though was this bit:

"So, is it, looking back at it was it individual mistakes? Was it, sort of, people not doing what they're supposed to be doing in a system? Where was the failure effectively?"

"If I knew the answer exactly for that it would make my head a lot better over the weekend"

That's literally your job Liam!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I want him gone asap. 

How about a 7 - 0 thrashing at Swansea the following week, which one of BT or JL will handle the post match interview? BT will probably have important business elsewhere!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

See my response to Dave.

I get where you're coming from.  It's almost a case of being willing to sacrifice one game to save the remaining 40 rather than wanting us to lose?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think as its a must not lose game for Manning that may cause us to go quite cautious like we've seen Manning do before. 

I wonder a out this too. Will he just try to send them out fired up and hope for a better outcome, or will his conservative nature take over and we just try to stay compact without any risk.

1 minute ago, Steve Watts said:

He doesn't.  That's why we're usually an even bigger car crash between 45 & 60 mins.  He's had them in for a half time tea talk and they come out half asleep.

The biggest issue in the first 3.5 minutes though was this bit:

"So, is it, looking back at it was it individual mistakes? Was it, sort of, people not doing what they're supposed to be doing in a system? Where was the failure effectively?"

"If I knew the answer exactly for that it would make my head a lot better over the weekend"

That's literally your job Liam!!!!

Yeah that was a bad answer to be fair.

I want him gone asap. 

Manning's got the same personality as Lansdown and tinnion total bore fest,Your right it's very uninspiring it just doesn't give you inspiration that positive attitude that we all want and just brings us into a negative thought process. Reflects the entire club everything just feels flat and it shouldn't be.

49 minutes ago, One Team said:

Fair play to anyone that sits through his pre match interviews and press conferences. I’ve tried a few times but just find it such hard work, full of deflection and management phrases and nonsense, delivered in such a robotic, monotone way. 

It’s hard to see how he motivates the players with this style, unless of course he’s different in training and in the dressing room.

He doesn't go in the dressing room!

Leaves them to it.

Monday to Friday, he's a laptop nerd and a coach.

On a Saturday, leaves them to it.

A leader, a motivator, he is not.

Which is why, on a Saturday, if things go wrong, he might as well not be there, it's left to the players to sort and, when they can't sort it themselves and things on the pitch unravel, we've started to see arguments and finger pointing amongst the players.

It's  the modern way - coaches do the prep but absolve themselves of ultimate responsibility. They call it "empowering" the players.

But, unless you have the very best players, its complete cowardly bullsh!t.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 10
  • Flames 2

I've got one foot very firmly in the Manning out camp but genuinely hope he turns it around.

However, if we lose again Saturday without changing the game plan then that may be a step too far for me. I don't think it's coincidence our best performances under him have been games where we've not tried to dominate possession like West Ham and Southampton at home. Ironically, the way we set up for those games should be the way we are looking to play most of our away games but we seem to have fallen off a cliff.

Can see Oxford settling back in and frustrating the players and crowd, if we don't get an early goal or don't perform it could turn toxic. I sit in the Lansdown and Manning offers zero emotion or emits any kind of body language like he's in control during a game. I'm not expecting jumping round like a loony for 90 minutes but he's just very passive and slow and sadly that matches our current performances.

As for these press conferences, I must admit I struggle to watch them and focus so thanks to those who summarise them. Even removing some of the potential unconscious bias/agenda's they are far from inspiring and seems to be taking a 'the world against me stance' which is a concern and only ends one way. As alluded to in other threads, I often felt LJ picked his team/subs sometimes out of spite and really am getting that impression here.

I want him gone asap. 

Funny how all the posters that somehow saw an exciting end to last season (it really wasn't) and were enthused at the start of this have all disappeared.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yes...for the better of the club long-term.

I want him gone, to give us a chance this season. 

Leave it longer, to see what happens, will just be a waste of time imo

Agree. Get rid soon or we're headed for another wasted (sabotaged) season.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He doesn't go in the dressing room!

Leaves them to it.

Monday to Friday, he's a laptop nerd and a coach.

On a Saturday, leaves them to it.

A leader, a motivator, he is not.

Which is why, on a Saturday, if things go wrong, he might as well not be there, it's left to the players to sort and, when they can't sort it themselves and things on the pitch unravel, we've started to see arguments and finger pointing amongst the players.

It's  the modern way - coaches do the prep but absolve themselves of ultimate responsibility. They call it "empowering" the players.

But, unless you have the very best players, its complete cowardly bullsh!t.

This is another reason why it was bonkers to get rid of James if Manning is like that on a match day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Funny how all the posters that somehow saw an exciting end to last season (it really wasn't) and were enthused at the start of this have all disappeared.

To be honest that's the nature of football.

I've seen nothing this season that makes me think we'll do well.

More like relegation fodder.

We no longer have any leaders on the pitch or proper high end experience.

It shows.

No leaders on it, and a coach with no leadership skills. 

He views the Millwall game as something special.

We were awful imo.

We got really lucky.

If he gauges that as good, then we have no hope. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

17 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

How have we recruited to a 4-2-3-1?  We haven’t signed any player can’t play in a 3-4-2-1

Agreed plus IMO we can switch very easy between the 2 formations. say we started 3-4-2-1

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Tanner       Knight         Bird            Pring

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

This could easily switch to 4-2-3-1 without a Sub

O'Leary

Tanner     Vyner              McNally         Roberts

Knight              Bird

Yu                     Twine                        Pring

Armstrong                          

• Hmmm 2

I think we will approach the game on Saturday same way we did at Swansea at home last year. A very boring and unconvincing 1-0 win.

Always thought that if we lost that Swansea game. He was out the door. I’m hoping the same type of opportunity on Saturday.

37 minutes ago, mozo said:

I wonder a out this too. Will he just try to send them out fired up and hope for a better outcome, or will his conservative nature take over and we just try to stay compact without any risk.

Yeah that was a bad answer to be fair.

I think 'going back to basics' means going cautious and being compact, like his first game vs qpr. 

4 minutes ago, Gol said:

Agreed plus IMO we can switch very easy between the 2 formations. say we started 3-4-2-1

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

O'Leary

Knight              Bird

Armstrong                          

I suppose a Roberts and Pring left side would free up the latter going forward and is more solid defensively than Twine or Mehmeti in front of Pring!

Huge red flag on the right though- Tanner at Wingback and then Oxford with 3 orthodoxish CM vs our 2 plus Twine.who is the spare man to step into midfield from the back as I'd be looking to bypass Tanner and pin back Pring a bit as well as crowd out Twine centrally.

Ironically the only manager where I've thought "better we lose & they go, than win, & they stay" is our beloved technical director.

I'm out of kilter with modern thinking, but I'm all for giving managers more time generally (but obvs, sometimes you need to act to prevent relegation etc.). 

Gut feel is that it wouldn't take too many more bad losses to see him go. Whilst those above him won't want to admit they made (another) duff choice, they want ignomy of relegation even less.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gol said:

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

O'Leary

Knight              Bird

Armstrong                          

Don't you need a tactically adept manager to see plan a isn't working and quickly switch to plan b, though.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, spudski said:

If he gauges that as good, then we have no hope. 

He didn't just gauge it as good, he gauged it as really good! Along with 2.5 other games! 

The Millwall game was a case of them running out of steam coming from 2 nil down to lead and us being able to bring on fresh legs. 

You're correct in that Manning likes to talk about that game as if it was something special. No one talks about how we imploded after half time. 

9 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I think we will approach the game on Saturday same way we did at Swansea at home last year. A very boring and unconvincing 1-0 win.

Always thought that if we lost that Swansea game. He was out the door. I’m hoping the same type of opportunity on Saturday.

That's my thought. Didn't he mention going back to basics. Dull sideways, backwards possession football. Bore the opposition to death and hope to nick it after they miss a few good chances themselves.

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Ironically the only manager where I've thought "better we lose & they go, than win, & they stay" is our beloved technical director.

I'm out of kilter with modern thinking, but I'm all for giving managers more time generally (but obvs, sometimes you need to act to prevent relegation etc.). 

Gut feel is that it wouldn't take too many more bad losses to see him go. Whilst those above him won't want to admit they made (another) duff choice, they want ignomy of relegation even less.

We play Swansea away next Sunday 👀

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

That's my thought. Didn't he mention going back to basics. Dull sideways, backwards possession football. Bore the opposition to death and hope to nick it after they miss a few good chances themselves.

I always find a manager saying back to basics is just a way of saying I don’t really know what the issue is how to fix it. But here’s something to say just because I have to.

Saying back to basics after heavy backing over the summer and 5 games in is abysmal and embarrassing.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

14 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think 'going back to basics' means going cautious and being compact, like his first game vs qpr. 

If that’s how we plan on going out. No one may as well turn up. You’d have more fun counting each blade of grass in your garden.

• Like 1