IGNORED

Liam Pre Match - Deja Vu anyone?

Silvio Dante

6 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

He didn't just gauge it as good, he gauged it as really good! Along with 2.5 other games! 

The Millwall game was a case of them running out of steam coming from 2 nil down to lead and us being able to bring on fresh legs. 

You're correct in that Manning likes to talk about that game as if it was something special. No one talks about how we imploded after half time. 

Totally. That's how I see it as well.

I watched Dickie, that game.

He's our best defender by far. 

He was overworked so much. No help whatsoever. He did the best he could understand the circumstances.

I thought to myself then, that playing that way will just lead to fatigue and injury. 

We will miss him greatly imo. 

Right...signal on the beach isn't great. 

So that's my lot for a while. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

I think there’s times (and not for me at this moment) where it’s abundantly clear where things are headed. The end is inevitable so why not hurry it along? 

I’ve definitely felt in the past there would be long term benefits to losing a game. 

Im just of the thought that 40 games gone under Manning and there has been absolutely zero sign that it will suddenly improve and we challenge for top 6.

There is no substance to the behaviours and patterns he incessantly bangs on about. 

Be interesting to see a list of managers that walked into a side that wasnt struggling, didnt need much changing YET NEEDED nearly a season of football (and looking like more) to ingrain his style of play and tactics into the players to mount at least a spell sat in the play off positions, let alone finishing in them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Coach said:

If that’s how we plan on going out. No one may as well turn up. You’d have more fun counting each blade of grass in your garden.

Will embarrass the club on Family Day, given tickets are selling well still.

Definitely on track for our biggest Attendance of the season albeit helped by 3.5-3.7k Oxford fans. I'll be surprised if it's below 23k.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BristolGit said:

This forum is toxic.

The amount of negativity is unbelievable.

It's not toxic.  Go on X.  That is absolutely toxic.

What's happening here is people are questioning what is going on.  Losing 3 0 to sides that aren't expected to be in the mix at all for the play offs is very worrying.  If a coach/manager shows evidence of not seeing things that well informed fans can see, it is extremely worrying.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Gol said:

Agreed plus IMO we can switch very easy between the 2 formations. say we started 3-4-2-1

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Tanner       Knight         Bird            Pring

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

This could easily switch to 4-2-3-1 without a Sub

O'Leary

Tanner     Vyner              McNally         Roberts

Knight              Bird

Yu                     Twine                        Pring

Armstrong                          

But the evidence is we can't switch 'very easily'.  

1 hour ago, Gol said:

Agreed plus IMO we can switch very easy between the 2 formations. say we started 3-4-2-1

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

O'Leary

Knight              Bird

Armstrong                          

Fwiw the Oxford line-up last game, and shape/structure. Duels.

Feel free.

4-1-4-1 vs 3-4-2-1(ish)

Screenshot_20240919-114513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a00d3c10a92aa5868cb6161dc62f2e99.jpg

Goodhram and Kioso vs Pring and Twine? Hmm.

Moore and Brown vs Armstrong. Neither of those CBs are step into midfield types afaik but at the same time 2 v 1.

Dembele is a dangerman, know less about Leigh. A risk Pring could be left 2 v 1..

...Twine without the ball is also a problem, McEachran I would task with chokng the supply line if he comes inside- ie knocking Twine out of his stride.

The back 3 is good but who is the spare man to step into midfield, if not it is a straight duel which we may win but the supply line is an issue.

A relatively untested right side of Tanner and Yu especially in this shape could leave some big holes.

4-2-3-1 plays 4-1-4-1 is a bit more linear and on paper a bit more secure but again Twine without the ball and or marked/pressed by McEachran, could become a liability and offer Oxford good chances for a quick transition. Otoh Twine close to Armstrong may pull Brown or Moore out of position and provide gaps to exploit.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

He was overworked so much. No help whatsoever. He did the best he could understand the circumstances.

I thought to myself then, that playing that way will just lead to fatigue and injury. 

Yep.  We were solid last year based around 

GKs handling and calm demeanour

Solid CB partnership with Dickie outstanding

Experience and calmness of Matty James.

Our GK appears a little spooked with no real competition.  The outstanding CB is injured and his partner also looking spooked.  There is no authority at all in midfield.

We look rudderless as soon as things go against us.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, The Coach said:

If that’s how we plan on going out. No one may as well turn up. You’d have more fun counting each blade of grass in your garden.

I'm looking forward to what kind of pie is on offer Happy Olympic Games GIF by DINOSALLY

11 hours ago, cheddarwedlocker said:

* joey, knighty, birdy

Gave me a Max and Paddy road to nowhere school reunion nickname vibe where they just add ster 😄

I endured the pre match press conference for the first time in a fair while, not sure why I was expecting anything out of the ordinary.
To quote Manning, it is what it is.

17 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Yep.  We were solid last year based around 

GKs handling and calm demeanour

Solid CB partnership with Dickie outstanding

Experience and calmness of Matty James.

Our GK appears a little spooked with no real competition.  The outstanding CB is injured and his partner also looking spooked.  There is no authority at all in midfield.

We look rudderless as soon as things go against us.  

I think what we also lose by not having Matty James is his tactical understanding and awareness and how during games he would pass that on to others and essentially be the managers voice on the field of play. 

I can 100% see James being a manager in the future. Whilst other managers like having those sort of leaders in a team, Manning doesn't, despite him often talking about players being leaders and taking responsibility and leadership groups and all that waffle. 

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

Whenever/whoever is the manager at any given time doing the pre and post match pressers I always expect to hear something interesting but we don’t get anything from Manning. He’s dull and how he motivates players is beyond me.

When asked about how O’Leary will react after his howler at Blackburn I was expecting him to say something like ‘Max is a strong character and he’ll be fine’ but answered with ‘collective responsibility’ ………:cool2: It was Max who messed up - not the entire team……….:dunno:

Wrong, you can pinpoint it on Max's pass, but Williams didn't come and show - a pattern of play that's clearly been worked on because 3 or 4 times prior to the bad pass that was the pattern we played out (and have done in other games)

Fevs pointed out the positioning of the team at that point, no one really showed for it and it wasn't ideal for what we were trying to achieve.

I think it's fair to say it's collective responsibility if the possesion game isn't working.

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Gol said:

O'Leary

Vyner   McNally  Roberts

Yu               Twine

Armstrong

O'Leary

Knight              Bird

Armstrong                          

Not aimed at you Gol.

The problem is Manning is trying to swap between them as each possession starts and ends, not say - 20 mins it’s not working, let’s switch.  He’s trying to do it continuously.  Players out of position trying to get back into position.

47 minutes ago, The Coach said:

I always find a manager saying back to basics is just a way of saying I don’t really know what the issue is how to fix it. But here’s something to say just because I have to.

Saying back to basics after heavy backing over the summer and 5 games in is abysmal and embarrassing.

Yep. And that came across loud and clear in that interview.

42 minutes ago, spudski said:

Overworked, and dragged out of the zones he defends best in.

Your point around fatigue is an interesting one, because he’s probably making his body work differently when dragged out wide than he is when he’s centrally.

Recall @Harry talking about Joe Williams playing right side one game and doing different runs to if he played CM…and then breaking down.  Always stuck with me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Your point around fatigue is an interesting one, because he’s probably making his body work differently when dragged out wide than he is when he’s centrally.

Recall @Harry talking about Joe Williams playing right side one game and doing different runs to if he played CM…and then breaking down.  Always stuck with me.

Yep. This was when he was on the comeback from his first hamstring injury. We stuck him at right midfield which involved more sprints and recovery runs that a DM/CM role would require. In the CM it’s more a constant movement, a continual jog almost. When in the wide areas there is naturally more bursts. 
Lo and behold, asking Williams to do more ‘bursts’ and ‘sprints’ whilst recovering from a hammy, inevitably led to, yep, you guessed it, another hammy. 

It seemed absolutely nuts to me at the time. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not aimed at you Gol.

The problem is Manning is trying to swap between them as each possession starts and ends, not say - 20 mins it’s not working, let’s switch.  He’s trying to do it continuously.  Players out of position trying to get back into position.

Yep. And that came across loud and clear in that interview.

Yes totally. 

During the Millwall game he was doing the job of a LB and CB to paraphrase. 

At times he was stretching and twisting and wincing. That's what made me watch closer. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think not.

The critique is welcome really. Plus there is an element of all forums are similar, but the way in which fans don't forget the missteps and lies of the hierarchy and look to stress test or critque the tactics and or plans of Manning or whoever, seems...it seems healthy IMO.

Let’s be honest, we need a clear out of the Lansdownes and there many failed attempts in recent time , clean sheet and start again. I  feel sorry for Manning to be honest. Out of his depth. He would have benefited having NP as an experienced mentor greatly.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Robbored said:

Whenever/whoever is the manager at any given time doing the pre and post match pressers I always expect to hear something interesting but we don’t get anything from Manning. He’s dull and how he motivates players is beyond me.

If you go on YouTube and search 'Liam Manning interviews' and then just select any random interview from his time at other clubs then compare them to his interviews here then they are just carbon copies. He says the exact same thing for every situation. 

For example in all of his pre season interviews he says "don't see much of my family during the season so spent a few weeks with them but still had to take many phone calls" he'll say the exact same next pre season (where ever he is) he's very robotic. He always says he's process driven and that shows in his answers. 

I actually started to warm to him a little over the summer where he spoke about how his family have moved down here and how they had been out to Portishead etc. He came accross as quite relaxed and I think that enabled him to show a more human side to himself. 

I think one of Liams problems is that during a season he works 12-14 hours a day pretty much 7 days a week. LJ was the same. They seem to think that I'm order to 'crack the code' they need to work those long hours and cover every single base. 

I'm pretty sure if we had a hotel at the HPC then he'd probably never go home. 

He is yet to learn that in life, sometimes less is more. I think Liam is too consumed by football. He's not mentioned about any outside of football hobbies etc. 

Whilst he does have an incredible work rate I think his outcomes would be greater if he allowed himself some time to completely switch off from the game and enjoy other things in life. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Let’s be honest, we need a clear out of the Lansdownes and there many failed attempts in recent time , clean sheet and start again. I  feel sorry for Manning to be honest. Out of his depth. He would have benefited having NP as an experienced mentor greatly.

He doesn’t strike me as somebody who wants or more importantly believes he needs a mentor.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Wrong, you can pinpoint it on Max's pass, but Williams didn't come and show - a pattern of play that's clearly been worked on because 3 or 4 times prior to the bad pass that was the pattern we played out (and have done in other games)

I think it's fair to say it's collective responsibility if the possession game isn't working.

You’re missing my point Marcus - Max got it wrong by giving the ball to the opposing team. He messed up, it’s that simple. No point looking to share the error.

Max had other options, he could have wellied it long or waited a tad longer for a City player to show but he didn’t. 

7 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think one of Liams problems is that during a season he works 12-14 hours a day pretty much 7 days a week. LJ was the same. They seem to think that I'm order to 'crack the code' they need to work those long hours and cover every single base. 

He is yet to learn that in life, sometimes less is more. I think Liam is too consumed by football. He's not mentioned about any outside of football hobbies etc. 

Whilst he does have an incredible work rate I think his outcomes would be greater if he allowed himself some time to completely switch off from the game and enjoy other things in life. 

That’s largely down to the work/life balance that many struggle with regardless of which profession. More experienced managers learn over time how to switch off - for example not taking your mobile when on holiday and or developing new hobbies - golf is popular in within the football industry but the obvious disadvantage of that is that you end up playing with others in the industry.

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

That’s largely down to the work/life balance that many struggle with regardless of which profession. More experienced managers learn over time how to switch off - for example not taking your mobile when on holiday and or developing new hobbies - golf is popular in within the football industry but the obvious disadvantage of that is that you end up playing with others in the industry.

It's just unfortunate that we choose to switch off by watching a sport that takes us on an emotional roller coaster 🤣🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Funny how all the posters that somehow saw an exciting end to last season (it really wasn't) and were enthused at the start of this have all disappeared.

Not too mention all the one's who signed up in the immediate aftermath of Nige's sacking..nowhere to be seen.

Probably cowering in a dark corner of the HPC, dreading the next instalment of "Get online and back the Lansdowns"

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

You are obviously unaware of the players signed

Thanks for the detail.  We haven’t signed anyone who is fixed to one position that isn’t in both a 4-2-3-1 or a 3-4-2-1.  

McNally - can play centre back in both

Bird - can play centre mid in both

Yu - can play RW or behind striker

Armstrong - can play number 9 in both

Muyulu - can play number 9 in both

Twine - can play beyond striker in both

McGuane - can play centre mid in both

Earthy - can play behind striker in both 

5 hours ago, spudski said:

I don't think I've ever wanted City to lose, but I really hope we get stuffed by Oxford 3-0.

I hope we play as bad as we've done recently.

I want him gone asap. 

The sooner he's gone the better. 

Otherwise it's going to be a season around the relegation zone.

Bloke is inept at this level.

So boring and unmotivational.

If I had to work under him everyday, I'd be looking to move. 

I don't know one fan that rates him or has warmed to him.

I can't see one positive of him being here. 

Our owners and BT are so out of touch with what's needed at this club, both for the team and the fans. 

I've been reading this forum for years and this post has made me sign up. 

This is the stupidest post I've ever seen. 

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Tecknical Director said:

I've been reading this forum for years and this post has made me sign up. 

This is the stupidest post I've ever seen. 

You should know TK that Spudski is one of the most respected posters on here……..:cool2: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He doesn't go in the dressing room!

Leaves them to it.

Monday to Friday, he's a laptop nerd and a coach.

On a Saturday, leaves them to it.

A leader, a motivator, he is not.

Which is why, on a Saturday, if things go wrong, he might as well not be there, it's left to the players to sort and, when they can't sort it themselves and things on the pitch unravel, we've started to see arguments and finger pointing amongst the players.

It's  the modern way - coaches do the prep but absolve themselves of ultimate responsibility. They call it "empowering" the players.

But, unless you have the very best players, its complete cowardly bullsh!t.

We've missed a trick here, a Manning/Nige jobshare would've worked a bloody treat, Manning Mon to Fri spending his time on the grass doing his 21st century nil-emotion technical coachy thing, Nige with his feet up or doing his back woodsman thing coppicing his native broad leaf standards; then Manning staring at his screens over the weekend nowhere near the lads and Nige coming in for his one day a week,  up-and-at-'em lads get-into-'um-****-'um-up Big Nige fist-shaking, throat-throttling, hobbling down the tunnel on his crutches 1980s motivational thing.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Fwiw the Oxford line-up last game, and shape/structure. Duels.

Feel free.

4-1-4-1 vs 3-4-2-1(ish)

Screenshot_20240919-114513_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a00d3c10a92aa5868cb6161dc62f2e99.jpg

Goodhram and Kioso vs Pring and Twine? Hmm.

Moore and Brown vs Armstrong. Neither of those CBs are step into midfield types afaik but at the same time 2 v 1.

Dembele is a dangerman, know less about Leigh. A risk Pring could be left 2 v 1..

...Twine without the ball is also a problem, McEachran I would task with chokng the supply line if he comes inside- ie knocking Twine out of his stride.

The back 3 is good but who is the spare man to step into midfield, if not it is a straight duel which we may win but the supply line is an issue.

A relatively untested right side of Tanner and Yu especially in this shape could leave some big holes.

4-2-3-1 plays 4-1-4-1 is a bit more linear and on paper a bit more secure but again Twine without the ball and or marked/pressed by McEachran, could become a liability and offer Oxford good chances for a quick transition. Otoh Twine close to Armstrong may pull Brown or Moore out of position and provide gaps to exploit.

I feel Roberts would support Pring down the left better both offensively and defensively against Goodhram and Kioso  this would allow twine to play more centrally and Yu our attacking focus down the right who can also cut in.

Tanner is probably the best 1-1 defender to go against Dembele .

You always want a spare CB against the striker I'd go McNally to mark and Vyner to cover as he has the pace to cover

I'd ask Armstrong to try and isolate Moore who whilst good in the air is not as mobile as Brown.

Also worth noting Brannagan came off injured in their last match and is a doubt for saturday

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, mozo said:

I've just watched half of it and it's just a regulation pre match presser. Nothing in there of concern.

Some of the posts on here make it sound like he was throwing players under the bus, which he absolutely doesn't. He frequently praises them. 

It's clear that Twine will be moved to the middle and he pretty much explains that he kept the original line up because it seemed to be working.

He answers the questions without giving much away. Fine by me.

Saturday is what matters.

I agree. The only concern I took from the press conference was that I miss James Piercy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

We've missed a trick here, a Manning/Nige jobshare would've worked a bloody treat, Manning Mon to Fri spending his time on the grass doing his 21st century nil-emotion technical coachy thing, Nige with his feet up or doing his back woodsman thing coppicing his native broad leaf standards; then Manning staring at his screens over the weekend nowhere near the lads and Nige coming in for his one day a week,  up-and-at-'em lads get-into-'um-****-'um-up Big Nige fist-shaking, throat-throttling, hobbling down the tunnel on his crutches 1980s motivational thing.  

I realise you are joking, but think it through.

We've gone from having a very good man manager, who had been there and done it, with loads of experience and coaching staff. Who everyone respected. United the players, staff and fans. 

We also had a plethora of players that were highly experienced at this level and above. Respected senior players. 

To now having a coach who's wet behind the ears, admits he's learning in the job, offers no man management skills, no experience at this level or above. 

Who then leaves a bunch of players with hardly any experienced pros, to work it out themselves in the changing room.

You need leaders. Not this situation. 

Left to their own devices is suicidal.

The majority are under 30. 

Remember how you thought at under 30?

Highly aid footballers with no person to guide them in the changing room. 

Under 30s will be distracted with thoughts of birds, cars, holidays, fashion, fighting who chooses the music, and how the horses are doing. 

And talking about how much others earn at other clubs...Semenyo, Scott etc etc.

We are a rudderless ship under this scenario.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Gol said:

I feel Roberts would support Pring down the left better both offensively and defensively against Goodhram and Kioso  this would allow twine to play more centrally and Yu our attacking focus down the right who can also cut in.

Tanner is probably the best 1-1 defender to go against Dembele .

You always want a spare CB against the striker I'd go McNally to mark and Vyner to cover as he has the pace to cover

I'd ask Armstrong to try and isolate Moore who whilst good in the air is not as mobile as Brown.

Also worth noting Brannagan came off injured in their last match and is a doubt for saturday

I see so in a 3-4-2-1 Roberts and Pring would help each other out.certainly in a back 4 I see that as possible.

Yes 2 v 1 can work the other way..

Tanner in a back 4 v Dembele yeah I can see, in a back 3 at Wingback..doesn't feel too comfortable a bit to me.

Yu cutting in could give us an advantage to overload yeah.

Could come down to a bit of a midfield battle IMO..Bird, Knight and Twine vs- if fit- McEchran, Brannagan and El Mizouni. Some of their underlying I'm not sure on, always associated Brannagan with being a bit more attack minded..

Good discussion.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, petehinton said:

I must say, him saying Blackburn only had 3 shots on target, and we could’ve got back into the game at 2-0 down, is worrying levels of delusion and ignorance. 

It’s all teed up to have Bird in the 10 again Saturday, isn’t it?

I've said elsewhere I'm not quite Manning Out yet, but if we sign Twine on the left and Bird in the 10 again that'll be it from me.

I'm all for accepting he probably knows more than me (I dont even claim to know much!) but what I can't understand is spending all summer chasing a 10 and then not playing him there. He had a bit of grace from me in that Bird had been very good up until Derby away (where he was non existant) and hopes that it could have been a one-off prior to Blackburn. Now we cannot see him lineup the same again this week

22 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Presser below. Missed last weeks as watching Somerset which was a bit more entertaining! 

On a general note he looked tired and a bit stressed - no shock there.

Notes  - the bits in bold stood out as they were very thematically similar from pressure periods last year.

- No new injuries post Saturday, Earthy looked to be coming back but got a knock yesterday. McCrorie still out, Atkinson training but building up load. Likely he’ll play in the U21s

- Re Blackburn - felt it wasn’t good enough, it’s not about not losing it’s about how you lose - they only had three shots and had we taken our chances we’d have got back in the game

- Had a tough meeting Monday with honest conversations and the group have responded well. We have plans and tactical bits but when the game starts people need to step up and take responsibility 

- The energy, aggression, desire and basics needed to be better and referenced Millwall as a reference point. You need to fight to get something from the bad days

- Possibly look at Bird moving back and Twine coming into ten but not confirming. People came in late in the window such as Twine and McNally and we have to remember that. The players need to step up and take responsibility and we need to get people in best slots.

- Asked about the left hand side inverting and possibly going to a three. Stated that the main bit is out of possession.

- Hurts like everyone else but thinks of the first five games three and a half have been really good and one and a half haven’t - Coventry had one shot on target - the group have hit good levels over the first three and a half games and the way the group work and the way we coach you’ll see improvement over the season. The last eight games of last season wasn’t luck it was a lot of hard work

- Knows Oxford and players well. Not giving the Oxford fans too much attention but finds it disappointing considering where the club were when he found them and left them

- Thinks since he left Oxford that there has been a jump up and the margins are finer - has learnt a lot, thinks learnt here as the club is different at this level behind the scenes. Thinks he’s a better coach for the time he’s spent here

Thinks the midfield three have done well generally but not afraid to change it. Again referenced the three and a half good games. 

- The group wanted to learn and react from last weeks performance- didn’t hit the levels they wanted

- New Piercy stated that Liam had worked with McNally before and Liam corrected him…

(New Piercy looks a step down initially)

Overall, as expected - acknowledged it wasn’t good enough at Blackburn but got a lot of “defence” in. 

I agree with this @Silvio Dante.

I’ve been following our recent matches closely, and I have to say, I’m growing increasingly concerned about Liam Manning’s approach as our manager. The recent results have been disappointing, to say the least, and it feels like there’s a real lack of adaptability in his tactics.

Watching the games, it seems like Manning struggles to react to in-game situations. Whether it’s making timely substitutions or adjusting our strategy when things aren’t going our way, there’s a noticeable hesitation. This rigidity is costing us points and, frankly, it’s frustrating to see.

I understand that every manager has their style, but the inability to change things up when needed is a big red flag for me. We need a leader who can think on their feet and make the tough calls during the heat of the moment. Right now, I’m not confident that Manning is that person.

What do you all think? Are you seeing the same issues, or do you think I’m being too harsh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tecknical Director said:

What do you all think? Are you seeing the same issues, or do you think I’m being too harsh?

No, I think he's out of his depth. He reminds me of Dean Holden, meant well but not cut out for the trials and tribulations of this club at that time. 

LM is floundering.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

No, I think he's out of his depth. He reminds me of Dean Holden, meant well but not cut out for the trials and tribulations of this club at that time. 

LM is floundering.

Thanks for the reply. I completely agree—Manning seems out of his depth, much like Dean Holden was. It’s frustrating to see the lack of in-game adjustments and tactical flexibility.

Honestly, I think the problem might go beyond just Manning. We’ve seen a pattern of managers struggling under the current ownership. Maybe it’s time for a change at the top to really turn things around.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

I feel sorry for LM. A man enticed into a job where he doesn’t know what he’s doing, by two men who don’t know what they’re doing.

I don’t feel sorry for him, he didn’t have to say yes.

Sometimes turning down an offer and continuing to learn your trade can put you in a better place for future positions

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

I don’t feel sorry for him, he didn’t have to say yes.

Sometimes turning down an offer and continuing to learn your trade can put you in a better place for future positions

perhaps they mis-sold the position? After all, they tried to gaslight/bull shit the fans

16 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

perhaps they mis-sold the position? After all, they tried to gaslight/bull shit the fans

Quite possibly, but I don’t think there are many secrets in the football world.

I’m pretty sure he would of had a good idea what he was walking into.

But maybe I’m wrong or perhaps he didn’t do his due diligence 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

LM is floundering.

I'm afraid this looked likely from the start.  No playing career to reference situations.  He hasn't sat in dressing rooms watching good managers change things round.  Working with players differently because of their different needs and personalities.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As @Silvio Dante would say - due diligence should’ve been done by both parties.

LM couldn't turn down a 4 year contract. 

He averages 0.93 % of a year as a coach in all his previous rolls. 

7th Nov 23 he signed a four year deal with us. 

It can't be far off 0.93 now.

Fingers crossed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Bard said:

I'm afraid this looked likely from the start.  No playing career to reference situations.  He hasn't sat in dressing rooms watching good managers change things round.  Working with players differently because of their different needs and personalities.  

I don't think it would've been so bad if Nige was TD instead of BT. 

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

LM couldn't turn down a 4 year contract. 

He averages 0.93 % of a year as a coach in all his previous rolls. 

7th Nov 23 he signed a four year deal with us. 

It can't be far off 0.93 now.

Fingers crossed. 

Spudski I don’t remember seeing a post from you criticising a manager who’s not been in post that long. It seems unusual………:cool2:

I can’t say that Manning has convinced many (any) fans that he knows what he’s doing but as with any ‘new’ manager I’m willing to give him time to get the team playing in the way he wants. He certainly talks a good game.- see where we are 15-20 games in.

19 minutes ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Not a bad job where you can be sacked for not being very good and get a healthy pay off.

Guess much will depend on the termination clauses in his contract.

Should it come to that.

It won’t be a pittance, I’m sure, but I’d be surprised if it’s underperforming that he’d get 3 and bit years pay-off.

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

Quite possibly, but I don’t think there are many secrets in the football world.

I’m pretty sure he would of had a good idea what he was walking into.

But maybe I’m wrong or perhaps he didn’t do his due diligence 

That's probably why John Eustace turned us down

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Spudski I don’t remember seeing a post from you criticising a manager who’s not been in post that long. It seems unusual………:cool2:

I can’t say that Manning has convinced many (any) fans that he knows what he’s doing but as with any ‘new’ manager I’m willing to give him time to get the team playing in the way he wants. He certainly talks a good game.- see where we are 15-20 games in.

For all the reasons I've posted RR.

I don't want to risk another 15 to 20 games, for him to learn on the job. Something he's admitted. 

He's 38, and imo way out of his depth at this level. 

His attitude stinks imo. 

Always the players fault. 

I've seen enough of him. 

Him, his football, his personality, demeanour bores me to tears. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't want to risk another 15 to 20 games, for him to learn on the job. Something he's admitted. 

His attitude stinks imo. 

I've seen enough of him. 

A harsh assessment but the only thing that I disagree with is the amount of games as I can’t see JL acting any sooner.

To sack Manning before then would be embarrassing for JL and ending up with egg on his face.

One factor that seriously concerns me based on what we’ve seen and heard at pressers is how does he stimulate and motivate the players?

Do they find him as dull and boring as we do………:dunno:

Edited by Robbored

33 minutes ago, Robbored said:

A harsh assessment but the only thing that I disagree with is the amount of games as I can’t see JL acting any sooner.

To sack Manning before then would be embarrassing for JL and ending up with egg on his face.

One factor that seriously concerns me based on what we’ve seen and heard at pressers is how does he stimulate and motivate the players?

Do they find him as dull and boring as we do………:dunno:

On the coaching pitches it's different. 

But imo, you need someone to 'manage' the game and players on match day. 

He doesn't. 

I can't see how anyone at this level can be motivated by him.

Understand instructions...yes.

But to implement them well at this level, with one game plan is suicidal.

Who's the leaders?

All I've seen of late, is a lot of hands raised, moaning, and trying to cheat fouls. 

If the likes of Mehmeti and Twine are seen as what's needed, in our system, then we're fooked imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

His attitude stinks imo. 

I've seen enough of him. 

Can't disagree with anything you've posted there!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

On the coaching pitches it's different. 

But imo, you need someone to 'manage' the game and players on match day. 

He doesn't. 

I can't see how anyone at this level can be motivated by him.

Understand instructions...yes.

But to implement them well at this level, with one game plan is suicidal.

Who's the leaders?

All I've seen of late, is a lot of hands raised, moaning, and trying to cheat fouls. 

If the likes of Mehmeti and Twine are seen as what's needed, in our system, then we're fooked imo. 

No doubt some are capable of understanding instructions but there are at least 3 City regulars that can barely write their names Spudski, one in particular has a poor disciplinary record because he’s reckless and can’t keep his mouth shut.

Something else that Manning doesn’t do is react when the opposition change tactics/formations. It’s as if he doesn’t see the need to adapt.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

No doubt some are capable of understanding instructions but there are at least 3 City regulars that can barely write their names Spudski, one in particular has a poor disciplinary record because he’s reckless and can’t keep his mouth shut.

Something else that Manning doesn’t do is react when the opposition change tactics/formations. It’s as if he doesn’t see the need to adapt.

And that's why we need someone to man manage as well as coach. 

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

He doesn't go in the dressing room!

Leaves them to it.

Monday to Friday, he's a laptop nerd and a coach.

On a Saturday, leaves them to it.

A leader, a motivator, he is not.

Which is why, on a Saturday, if things go wrong, he might as well not be there, it's left to the players to sort and, when they can't sort it themselves and things on the pitch unravel, we've started to see arguments and finger pointing amongst the players.

It's  the modern way - coaches do the prep but absolve themselves of ultimate responsibility. They call it "empowering" the players.

But, unless you have the very best players, its complete cowardly bullsh!t.

Is this description based on inside knowledge or just your imagination?

9 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I think 'going back to basics' means going cautious and being compact, like his first game vs qpr. 

You might be right mate

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

Is this description based on inside knowledge or just your imagination?

Confirmed recently by someone on here who would know and is not an attention seeking bs poster. Can't remember which thread it was on.

Nothing to do with my imagination, running away with me.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

5 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Confirmed recently by someone on here who would know and is not an attention seeking bs poster. Can't remember which thread it was on.

Nothing to do with my imagination, running away with me.

Fair enough

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

You’re obviously hoping that after 15-20 games Liam would have somehow learnt this aspect of the game?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m being an optimist FNQ……….:dunno:

A quote from Manning. He doesn't problem solve during games. 

"The game is an invasion game; every single time you play it and every situation within it looks slightly different. It is within those areas of grey that you have to problem solve. And that’s for them to do, not me. They might get it wrong sometimes, and that’s fine. Because then it’s our job to coach you to help you and get it right in future.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons-liam-manning-rise-west-ham-new-york-red-bulls-1500042

Edited by spudski
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

As @Silvio Dante would say - due diligence should’ve been done by both parties.

But Dave , Brian spoke to Keogh about Manning , who told him he was great . Shame Keogh had left before Manning had arrived . I’m still certain that was Keogh having a laugh at Tinnions expense ( Keogh left MK Jan 21 , Manning arrived at MK Aug 21 ). So if that formed part of our due diligence, along with our previous manager dismantling Mannings Oxford with ease, twice in a couple of months , what possibly could go wrong ?

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

"The game is an invasion game; every single time you play it and every situation within it looks slightly different. It is within those areas of grey that you have to problem solve. And that’s for them to do, not me. They might get it wrong sometimes, and that’s fine. Because then it’s our job to coach you to help you and get it right in future.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons-liam-manning-rise-west-ham-new-york-red-bulls-1500042

That’s an odd philosophy to have especially if your squad is made up of poorly educated players. They end up with too much responsibility.

• Like 1

Just now, Robbored said:

That’s an odd philosophy to have especially if your squad is made up of poorly educated players. They end up with too much responsibility.

That's what I've been implying RR. 

In a game situation, if the opposition manager makes changes etc during the game, why is LM leaving the decision making to the players to work it out?

He'll spend ages looking at in game analysis, then decide to just change players, like for like. 

He's reactive rather than proactive, with no plan b. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

In a game situation, if the opposition manager makes changes etc during the game, why is LM leaving the decision making to the players to work it out?

He'll spend ages looking at in game analysis, then decide to just change players, like for like. 

thats why not keeping Matty James was such a stupid mistake.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spudski said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

51 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not that I see Des Buckingham’s interview as particularly great either, but…

…at least he understands it his job (and his immediate team) to solve problems / give the direction / make changes. 1m15s in and also last 30 seconds.  His responsibility!

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Not that I see Des Buckingham’s interview as particularly great either, but…

…at least he understands it his job (and his immediate team) to solve problems / give the direction / make changes. 1m15s in and also last 30 seconds.  His responsibility!

Seems very overrated to me on the back of a few good games. About 10 games ago they were losing to Lincoln and drawing with Stevenage.

What's his points per game since taking over Oxford in an automatic promotion place? Very middling I understand 

• Like 1

On 18/09/2024 at 17:34, Silvio Dante said:

Presser below. Missed last weeks as watching Somerset which was a bit more entertaining! 

On a general note he looked tired and a bit stressed - no shock there.

Notes  - the bits in bold stood out as they were very thematically similar from pressure periods last year.

- No new injuries post Saturday, Earthy looked to be coming back but got a knock yesterday. McCrorie still out, Atkinson training but building up load. Likely he’ll play in the U21s

- Re Blackburn - felt it wasn’t good enough, it’s not about not losing it’s about how you lose - they only had three shots and had we taken our chances we’d have got back in the game

- Had a tough meeting Monday with honest conversations and the group have responded well. We have plans and tactical bits but when the game starts people need to step up and take responsibility 

- The energy, aggression, desire and basics needed to be better and referenced Millwall as a reference point. You need to fight to get something from the bad days

- Possibly look at Bird moving back and Twine coming into ten but not confirming. People came in late in the window such as Twine and McNally and we have to remember that. The players need to step up and take responsibility and we need to get people in best slots.

- Asked about the left hand side inverting and possibly going to a three. Stated that the main bit is out of possession.

- Hurts like everyone else 8😊 thinks of the first five games three and a half have been really good and one and a half haven’t - Coventry had one shot on target - the group have hit good levels over the first three and a half games and the way the group work and the way we coach you’ll see improvement over the season. The last eight games of last season wasn’t luck it was a lot of hard work

- Knows Oxford and players well. Not giving the Oxford fans too much attention but finds it disappointing considering where the club were when he found them and left them

- Thinks since he left Oxford that there has been a jump up and the margins are finer - has learnt a lot, thinks learnt here as the club is different at this level behind the scenes. Thinks he’s a better coach for the time he’s spent here

Thinks the midfield three have done well generally but not afraid to change it. Again referenced the three and a half good games. 

- The group wanted to learn and react from last weeks performance- didn’t hit the levels they wanted

- New Piercy stated that Liam had worked with McNally before and Liam corrected him…

(New Piercy looks a step down initially)

Overall, as expected - acknowledged it wasn’t good enough at Blackburn but got a lot of “defence” in. 

Like listening to a pre-recorded tape .