IGNORED

Yellow and blue away kit...

spudski

I mentioned before that in 1974 there was a tragedy at a school in Hartcliffe during gale force winds, the roof came off and a child died. I think it was Teyfant School.

Bristol City then played a charity match on Hartcliffe School playing fields including Alan Dicks as a player v Teyfant United. Bristol City played in this yellow and blue strip for that game. So I am sure it was there's and not borrowed from Stoke (unless it was but they hadn't returned it yet).

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

I mentioned before that in 1974 there was a tragedy at a school in Hartcliffe during gale force winds, the roof came off and a child died. I think it was Teyfant School.

Bristol City then played a charity match on Hartcliffe School playing fields including Alan Dicks as a player v Teyfant United. Bristol City played in this yellow and blue strip for that game. So I am sure it was there's and not borrowed from Stoke (unless it was but they hadn't returned it yet).

Memories, went to Teyfant mid 60s can remember climbing over the fence of Hartcliffe big school and smacking the ball into the hockey net.

Now i'm thinking really Hockey in Hartcliffe ?

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

i reckon thats stokes away strip ours would have clashed both home and away kits and 3rd kits were unheard of...

Pretty sure that’s true.

First game I recall seeing City on TV too, in colour which was less common those days & also wondered if that was a factor?

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

We borrowed Orient's strip for an FA cup first round loss 4-1 and I'm pretty sure that was Stoke's second kit as well .

8 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

We played in Northampton's away kit for a match at the old County Ground I was at in around 88-90 time.

Yep, was at both of those.

I still maintain that the yellow and blue was Bristol City's kit and not borrowed as I saw them (basically City reserves plus Alan Dicks) playing in that kit in Bristol in that very same season 1973-74 against Teyfant Athletic. 

It stuck in my mind because City were playing at the end of my garden as I lived at Whitchurch at the time and Hartcliffe School Playing Fields was at the back of my garden. Plus I had never seen them play in yellow and blue and it was odd seeing Alan Dicks playing for City. 

9 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Leeds and Exeter in the early 90s for two.

Of course Leeds played in yellow and blue as their main colours for years. Then Don Revie turned up around 1960 and changed to all white in the hope of emulating Real Madrid. Hence the white scarves with yellow and blue bands that have featured ever since.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the early 1960’s I was at an away match versus Grimsby Town whose colours were normally black and white striped shirts and black shorts.

So no problem for City. Except that this particular season Grimsby wore black/white shirts with RED shorts.

The ref decided that there would be a colour clash so City borrowed a set of yellow shirts from Grimsby and the City’s white shorts. We lost!

14 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Memories, went to Teyfant mid 60s can remember climbing over the fence of Hartcliffe big school and smacking the ball into the hockey net.

Now i'm thinking really Hockey in Hartcliffe ?

Totally believable. Went to Withywood where there was a hockey pitch along with the football and rugby. Also had a cricket square, athletics facilities, swimming pool and a basket ball court. Hartcliffe would have been similar. All gone now of course.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Of course Leeds played in yellow and blue as their main colours for years. Then Don Revie turned up around 1960 and changed to all white in the hope of emulating Real Madrid. Hence the white scarves with yellow and blue bands that have featured ever since.

Thanks for this Lev, I didn’t know this…I’m too young.  But for some reason - probably because I had the Leeds yellow subbuteo kit (from Norm’s sports shop) - I always think of Leeds as yellow.

image.png.0101006dd9f3fadd8b55717c32b6825e.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

We played in Northampton's away kit for a match at the old County Ground I was at in around 88-90 time.

Didn't City get caught out by Northampton's kit which resulted them wearing the Cobblers' blue away kit?  If I remember rightly, the season before Northampton's home colours were white shirts and maroon shorts, but the season this incident occurred they had switched to maroon shirts and white shorts, and I presume the kit man didn't realise this and we rocked up with our home kit and the referee didn't allow it?

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

What was our regular away kit that season?

We wore plain white shirts & shorts as our away kit for years back then, didn’t we?

Pretty sure we didn’t see that as a colour clash against the Southamptons, Stokes or Sheff Utd’s of this world then, either.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

We wore plain white shirts & shorts as our away kit for years back then, didn’t we?

Pretty sure we didn’t see that as a colour clash against the Southamptons, Stokes or Sheff Utd’s of this world then, either.

I don't know...I've tried to research to no avail. 

I did stumble on a site saying the Gas wore red and white stripes as their away kit that season! Really?

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

I don't know...I've tried to research to no avail. 

I did stumble on a site saying the Gas wore red and white stripes as their away kit that season! Really?

No idea.

Certainly as a very young kid I can recall seeing away games & we were wearing all white, this Stoke game apart it was probably the 80s before I can recall seeing us in anything other than that.

11 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

No idea.

Certainly as a very young kid I can recall seeing away games & we were wearing all white, this Stoke game apart it was probably the 80s before I can recall seeing us in anything other than that.

Sadly my recollection of away kits is from 76.

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Is it worthwhile mining the brains of Stoke fans to ask what their away kit was in 1973-74.

All I know is that I DEFINITELY saw a Bristol City representative XI wearing that exact same kit in a charity match in Hartcliffe in 1973-74.

They did have that kit as an away kit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spudski said:

They did have that kit as an away kit

But did they have it as an away kit in 73-74. I've looked up pictures of Stoke away at Liverpool and Arsenal that season and they are playing in white shirts and black shorts. In the 1972 FA Cup Semi Final v Arsenal both sides changed to their second shirts and Stoke were in white and Arsenal were in yellow and blue. Then in 1976 Stoke's first away match was at Bristol City and they played in white shirts and black shorts. 

The yellow shirts in the clip don't have a badge. The yellow shirts I saw City wear in 73-74 were also badgeless. 

13 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

But did they have it as an away kit in 73-74. I've looked up pictures of Stoke away at Liverpool and Arsenal that season and they are playing in white shirts and black shorts. In the 1972 FA Cup Semi Final v Arsenal both sides changed to their second shirts and Stoke were in white and Arsenal were in yellow and blue. Then in 1976 Stoke's first away match was at Bristol City and they played in white shirts and black shorts. 

The yellow shirts in the clip don't have a badge. The yellow shirts I saw City wear in 73-74 were also badgeless. 

Stoke didn't have badges on their kits at the time. 

I'm positive they wore yellow and blue, after the white and black, and before the diagonal black and red stripes on white. Just for one season. 

Open to correction 

Just now, spudski said:

Stoke didn't have badges on their kits at the time. 

I'm positive they wore yellow and blue, after the white and black, and before the diagonal black and red stripes on white. Just for one season. 

Open to correction 

Yes, the research I have done is far from comprehensive just looked at a couple of matches from that particular season when there was a clash. But, yes, I noticed on those white away kits there was no badge. Are there any pictures available from 73-74 of Stoke wearing yellow and blue. 

Although I don't have the date City played the charity match in Hartcliffe I know for sure it was 1973-74 as it was my last year in primary school and the tragedy happened at a school just a mile or so away from mine with the child who died being a very similar age. 

So I know for sure Bristol City in 1973-74 possessed a yellow and blue kit, maybe for training purposes as it didn't clash with the home or second strips, that they used very occasionally. 

26 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

Yes, the research I have done is far from comprehensive just looked at a couple of matches from that particular season when there was a clash. But, yes, I noticed on those white away kits there was no badge. Are there any pictures available from 73-74 of Stoke wearing yellow and blue. 

Although I don't have the date City played the charity match in Hartcliffe I know for sure it was 1973-74 as it was my last year in primary school and the tragedy happened at a school just a mile or so away from mine with the child who died being a very similar age. 

So I know for sure Bristol City in 1973-74 possessed a yellow and blue kit, maybe for training purposes as it didn't clash with the home or second strips, that they used very occasionally. 

Had a quick look and can't see anything from the 73/74 season.

Sheff Utd v Stoke from that season would help. But can only find the 74/75 season fixture.

• Thanks 1