IGNORED

Oxford Forum

BCFCGav

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

But surely you agree with my third sentence?

This is a game I really, really, really want to win.

Maybe not all City fans feel the same way.

Odd.

I’ve been clear whenever this comes up - I always want us to win. Check all the other threads asking the same thing in the last day or so.

You just asked why they are bitter - I’ve answered that for you.

Odd response.

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’re bitter about him leaving because of the following:

- He said immediately before he was appointed here that there had been no talks

- He left without even talking/saying goodbye to the players and staff in person, just skulking off into the night

- He treated existing staff (Wayne Brown) like dirt

- They appointed him and took a gamble on a manager who’d failed at the level, and as soon as someone came sniffing after a run of form, he went at the first opportunity

- He was heavily backed in the summer and then walked out.

They don’t hate him because of his demeanour, cliches or “behaviours”. They hate him because in their opinion he was classless, gutless and lacked integrity. And based on the evidence, you’d say that they’ve got the right to do so.

I find them saying they ‘saved him’ genuinely laughable.

He got 89 points in league one the season before, in any other year that’s promotion to the championship. I hardly see a struggling following season after losing 3 or 4 of your best players an embarrassment, personally. They act like he was someone who’d just been sacked by three separate league two clubs or something. 

Being harsh on players/staff when doing well = ‘ruthless’, doing the same when poorly = ‘mean’ ….

Not meant to be some vehement defence of him, but I find it extremely tinpot.

the best form of revenge is simply to ignore. They went on to get promoted at Wembley by a fan, by someone who’s apparently way better than Liam, though let’s just overlook that no other EFL would’ve ever touched him & that they were passionately calling for him to be sacked not too long ago…. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He got 89 points in league one the season before, in any other year that’s promotion to the championship. I hardly see a struggling following season after losing 3 or 4 of your best players an embarrassment, personally. They act like he was someone who’d just been sacked by three separate league two clubs or something. 

Being harsh on players/staff when doing well = ‘ruthless’, doing the same when poorly = ‘mean’ ….

the best form of revenge is simply to ignore. They went on to get promoted at Wembley by a fan, by someone who’s apparently way better than Liam, though let’s just overlook that no other EFL would’ve ever touched him & that they were passionately calling for him to be sacked not too long ago…. 

So do you think that it’ll be just a few of their delusional ‘nutters’ who know no better screaming abuse at Liam then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

So why are they bitter about him leaving?

Surely you'd just be happy about it?

This is a game I really, really, really want to win and win well.

Send 'em all packing before the final whistle.

I'm hearing they are thinking about bringing items to show their displeasure with, why bother🤣

Edit, I've since read the post from @Silvio Dantewhich explains a lot. 

It seems Liam is viewed similarly to when Matty Taylor joined us!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FNQ said:

So do you think that it’ll be just a few of their delusional ‘nutters’ who know no better screaming abuse at Liam then?

No I think it’ll be the majority of the away end, if not all of it, giving him stick

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don’t disagree with a lot of that, and undoubtedly there was a proportion of their fanbase calling for Buckinghams head around January - just giving it as they see it from their forum.

The point about “point of appointment” of Liam to Oxford is interesting. When he joined, IIRC there was a mutual break in the contract - neither party felt the other was a sure thing. Now, I do think that in those circumstances you can’t blame Liam in some ways for taking the next upwardly mobile bus, but I think what rankles with them is that it was the first bit of “form” - the prior year he didn’t improve their ppg and only got (I think) wins against the hapless Forest Green and Cheltenham.

And in a lot of ways at our appointment you’d say “more fool us” because we appointed on form without record - but that’s for another thread.

As I said, I get it from their perspective. The speed of leaving and the demeanour of leaving was, externally, a bit classless (even if as above you can make a case for the speed). I don’t think we’d react much differently in similar circumstances- you only have to look at the vitriol directed Conways way from some to see that. But he’s here now, for good or bad, and let’s just hope for either a marked turnaround or a swift end to the madness.

• Like 6
  • Flames 2

There's still an element of why did he leave when he did and its the manner in which he left. I think that's their problem and rightly so.

For me its a lack of respect on his part. He could've defused all of this by handling the leaving situation a lot better. Especially considering the pressure he has brought upon himself with several poor and uninspiring results. The last thing he needs is 3,500 away fans baying for his demise and stoking up the atmosphere. He could've publicly thanked the fans and the players and shown a greater level of sincerity. There are a few things which don't sit comfortably with me like his Oxford presser for example, when questioned about how the Oxford fans think of him, he could've dealt with it a lot better. The bloke is in the public domain, he should be dealing with these situations and questions a lot easier but struggles.

Ironic, as he talks constantly about behaviours yet his continues to be questionable.

I really can't see much of a future here for him. The job is too big for him.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

- He left without even talking/saying goodbye to the players and staff in person, just skulking off into the night

- They appointed him and took a gamble on a manager who’d failed at the level, and as soon as someone came sniffing after a run of form, he went at the first opportunity

They don’t hate him because of his demeanour, cliches or “behaviours”. They hate him because in their opinion he was classless, gutless and lacked integrity. And based on the evidence, you’d say that they’ve got the right to do so.

“Career first” head-coach.  Most are though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

“Career first” head-coach.  Most are though.

As they should be, same for players too.. but try and be classy and show some respect and gratitude to the club and fans that you’re leaving behind. 
Interesting to see how he celebrates or reacts when we score..

• Like 1

I really hope this is a feisty encounter today.  Better than it being a bland affair between two clubs with little rivalry between them, apart from Manning, Atkinson, Sykes, Dickie, McGuane and McNally.  Wait a minute!

I’m not sure how either manager would cope with a chaotic game, but I bet some of our players would much prefer it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

As they should be, same for players too.. but try and be classy and show some respect and gratitude to the club and fans that you’re leaving behind. 
Interesting to see how he celebrates or reacts when we score..

**** me you’re optimistic!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really hope this is a feisty encounter today.  Better than it being a bland affair between two clubs with little rivalry between them, apart from Manning, Atkinson, Sykes, Dickie, McGuane and McNally.  Wait a minute!

I’m not sure how either manager would cope with a chaotic game, but I bet some of our players would much prefer it.

It’s going to be the chess match of all chess matches tbh. I’m most interested in how we react to them wanting to make it fiesty though, considering none of us or them particularly care about Oxford. Two coaches who learnt everything from the same textbook. 

Edited by petehinton

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it could be.

Biggest crowd of the season, big away contingent with a grudge or 2..hopefully our fans will respond in kind to the undoubted noise from their end.

We're okay at Home, we need really need a reaction- Oxford well I could be wrong but IMO won't be parking the bus.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 19/09/2024 at 14:02, Negan said:

Oxford are in for a right shock. Whenever we have a big home crowd the team always turns up and absolutely annihilates whoever is unfortunate enough to be playing us. Chuck in our far superior manager and 3 points is a given. 

I can give u the phone number of a quite good psychiatrist...........if interested?

Oxford fan here. Firstly I think hate is probably a strong word. We don’t hate him. But we are all very happy to make him a pantomime villain. In some ways as you’ve noted it was a blessing as we went on to get Des Buckingham (home grown, very likable, tactically astute, interesting, dynamic) 

If you read our forum we recognize that he made a career move that many folks would have made to a club a division higher who would pay him three times as much as we could.

But…..

he had only joined us a few months earlier. A number of long standing employees were moved on by him so he could bring his own people in. He then took those people with him.

he was heavily backed in the summer and sold a vision to a number of players who joined based on what he sold them 

he left in the most undignified way I can recall a manager leaving. Having stated he wasn’t leaving he left without saying goodbye to any of the players (quite a few have shown their disdain for him on social media and at the following game after he left) and never even mentioned Oxford . A short simple courtesy goodbye wouldn’t have been impossible. He was a coward and ran into the night hoping he’d never see us again so us meeting a year earlier is amusing 

there’s a hunch he’s Machiavellian. When you destroyed us 4-1 in the league cup you wouldn’t put it past him that he warmed up your  owners at the expense of Pearson 

and for some not all you’d say his football was mind numbingly dull. Even when we won you kind of felt “meh”. And his personality isn’t exactly going to make you warm to him. 

we have no issue with you lot. We both dislike rovers and swindon. But the opportunity to throw a little karma at manning is what today is about. Someone mentioned just ignoring him….thats not exactly how tribal football works and doesn’t exactly create atmospheres. It’s just the beautiful irrationality of the supporting a lower league club . Maybe you guys would ignore him maybe you wouldn’t. Who knows.! 

good luck for the rest of the season 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Another belter from them, we are no bigger because if they had a 20,000 stadium they would also average 20,000 in the Champ. 

Despite then not averaging five figures in my lifetime 🤣

Total jokers, at least Barnsley fans with LJ were a yoyo L1 Champ team at the time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Didn't realise he'd left in that manner! - where's the blokes own self respect. 

Career progression,everyone understands that - when you go,,leave with dignity & style,,making sure that those around you are aware of how grateful you are for their care & support.

To fail to do so is embarrassing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, One Team said:

It’s depressingly amusing reading their comments about Manning. 

“Robotic”, “principles”, “60th minute subs”, “behaviours”….

Dear christ that's so accurate it's annoying me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They really aren't fans of Manning.

Expect it'll be quite a noisy away end, hopefully our fans can respond in kind.

Yeah I get it. But they’re clearly onto better things with Buckingham and have momentum, just enjoy it.

That above is just weird behaviour.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

If we lose heavily today you will have 4 sides of the ground all giving Manning grief!  A lot of pressure on him today, will see if he's made of anything or not!

He may not be my favourite ever coach - but on a personal level I wouldn’t wish that on him - if we’re losing it will be a very lonely place down there for him on the touchline. 

And on a City level, Oxford can do one, we should be putting them in their place this afternoon.

COYR

Edited by Alessandro
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Any quotes from their bitter AF fans tonight on there would be much appreciated x 

Will this do mate. One of those common Childish comments football fans make, one of our posters clearly hit a nerve. It’s like me saying Swindon made more noise with less fans. 

IMG_4165.png

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Will this do mate. One of those common Childish comments football fans make, one of our posters clearly hit a nerve. It’s like me saying Swindon made more noise with less fans. 

IMG_4165.png

And they were IMO some of the worst away fans i have seen at Ashton Gate considering there was more than 3 k of them on what was clearly such a huge day out for their small plucky football club..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

IMG_4165.png

You can always rely on a fan of a team that’s just been beaten by a bigger club who pinched their manager from them in acrimonious circumstances to given an honest assessment of something as arbitrary as “atmosphere” 😄it’s amazing how complimentary opposing fans can be when they’re leaving with 3 points…

I’m sure he’s crying into his cornflakes this morning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1

27 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

And they were IMO some of the worst away fans i have seen at Ashton Gate considering there was more than 3 k of them on what was clearly such a huge day out for their small plucky football club..

Actually they did make some noise………… briefly when they were winning.

They were very quiet after that though. I don’t think they could see the scoreboard to begin with as they were asking Manning what the score was, although they stopped asking in the second half.

Edited by MrBibs
Typo
  • Haha 6

23 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

You can always rely on a fan of a team that’s just been beaten by a bigger club who pinched their manager from them in acrimonious circumstances to given an honest assessment of something as arbitrary as “atmosphere” 😄it’s amazing how complimentary opposing fans can be when they’re leaving with 3 points…

I’m sure he’s crying into his cornflakes this morning.

Spot on - rather like their ‘stadium’, there are three sides to every story.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Bris Red said:

Agreed. Excellent numbers but made less noise that lots have with 10% of that following in the past.

Pretty much sumed lots of them up as I passed them on the way out of the ground.

Families, obesely overweight parents, with young children with inflatable snake 🐍 "hats" on their heads - teaching their kids the valuable life lesson of showing no ambition or striving for better things & self improvement through their lives.!

I said it before the game & will say it again now - their dislike of Manning seems so fake & manufactured, like they just want to be upset about it but really shouldn't be.

They are doing well without him. They should be celebrating that, rather than trying to create a hate figure towards a bloke who perfectly understandably took the chance of a bigger & better job.

If it had cost them promotion, you could understand the resentment. As it is, it just makes them look bitter & pathetic for no reason.

We desperately needed to get a result to steady the ship yesterday, but mostly I was pleased for LM who definitely had the last laugh yet conducted himself professionally throughout the whole pantomime hate campaign. 

Oxford just strike me as some small time, irrelevant little club who have over achieved & will hopefully soon dissappear back into League 1 & the more fitting surroundings of places like the memorial ground. 

• Like 13
  • Flames 1

16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Agreed. Excellent numbers but made less noise that lots have with 10% of that following in the past.

Pretty much sumed lots of them up as I passed them on the way out of the ground.

Families, obesely overweight parents, with young children with inflatable snake 🐍 "hats" on their heads - teaching their kids the valuable life lesson of showing no ambition or striving for better things & self improvement through their lives.!

I said it before the game & will say it again now - their dislike of Manning seems so fake & manufactured, like they just want to be upset about it but really shouldn't be.

They are doing well without him. They should be celebrating that, rather than trying to create a hate figure towards a bloke who perfectly understandably took the chance of a bigger & better job.

If it had cost them promotion, you could understand the resentment. As it is, it just makes them look bitter & pathetic for no reason.

We desperately needed to get a result to steady the ship yesterday, but mostly I was pleased for LM who definitely had the last laugh yet conducted himself professionally throughout the whole pantomime hate campaign. 

Oxford just strike me as some small time, irrelevant little club who have over achieved & will hopefully soon dissappear back into League 1 & the more fitting surroundings of places like the memorial ground. 

Well said !

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nuno Gomes said:

https://oxblogger.co.uk/2024/09/22/match-wrap-bristol-city-2-oxford-united-1/

I suppose if you support Oxford you need to write this way.  More hyperbole than substance.

Thanks for the link to the blog.

I have just read it and, frankly, quite enjoyed it.

As its title suggests, it is a blog, rather than a proper match report, and I found it both informative and amusing, especially the description of the Oxford goal.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Thanks for the link to the blog.

I have just read it and, frankly, quite enjoyed it.

As its title suggests, it is a blog, rather than a proper match report, and I found it both informative and amusing, especially the description of the Oxford goal.

It's brilliantly written. Refreshing. 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Sounds like luton

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Well said sir.

• Like 1

We can always have the rather boring argument of whose loudest but unfortunately our home support is shite, not in numbers but in terms of noise and creating an atmosphere.

Mainly down to shoving our noisiest supporters in a corner and giving the whole away end away granted!

To counterbalance our away support is normally superb and really get behind the team

But ...... There is no getting away with the fact Ashton gate is generally like a library and you can't help but think the powers that be like it that way

Edited by frenchred
  • Like 6
  • Flames 1

• Admin
39 minutes ago, frenchred said:

We can always have the rather boring argument of whose loudest but unfortunately our home support is shite, not in numbers but in terms of noise and creating an atmosphere.

Mainly down to shoving our noisiest supporters in a corner and giving the whole away end away granted!

To counterbalance our away support is normally superb and really get behind the team

But ...... There is no getting away with the fact Ashton gate is generally like a library and you can't help but think the powers that be like it that way

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've written as it's spot on, but I've always found it mildly amusing how supporters are obsessed with how loud the opposite supporters are at a game 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I find this is a common theme everywhere. Most of the away games I went to last season had quite home atmospheres. 

• Like 5

I think its fair to say that with their largest away following on their big day out for some time they were very quiet in the second half so that really just goes to show the momentum swing was very much in our favour. Yes, their No.9 missed a very presentable chance to make it 2:0 but then again Sincs flashed a really good header just wide early on which, on target, the keeper was never saving. Football is full of ifs and buts.

I think they've recruited well and bolstered their squad, if they can keep those new players fit they should hold their own this season. The Championship is a massive step up from League 1 though and considering they were only the fifth best side in League 1 last season I think its reasonable to say avoiding relegation this season would count as a major success. Good luck to them for the rest of the season, I would much rather they stayed up at the expense of the likes of cardiff.

• Like 3

On 22/09/2024 at 09:52, Nuno Gomes said:

https://oxblogger.co.uk/2024/09/22/match-wrap-bristol-city-2-oxford-united-1/

I suppose if you support Oxford you need to write this way.  More hyperbole than substance.

Thought it was witty and well written...better than Bristol Live's excuse for journalism,  now that Piercy has left the sinking ship?

• Like 1

On 22/09/2024 at 11:37, frenchred said:

Rinse & repeat , 

All teams will have there day when they got the best fans in the world and the worst fans in the world , it’s all about the time and the place etc ,would Oxford fans and others who have been brought up our home support been saying the same thing if they were there for our games against , Hereford Palace Rotherham both the Manchester clubs Swansea a few years back - and didn’t West Ham fans say we were the best supporters they have had at The London stadium ,it’s all swings and roundabouts , 

over the years through my job I have had corporate tickets for old Trafford Utds home support gets slaughtered for being piss poor ,again like us it’s about the time and place  times I have been there and all you can here are the away fans but I have been there against Liverpool & galatasary and that has to be the loudest I have heard at a football stadium including Wembley - so we all have our moments 

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, redkev said:

Rinse & repeat , 

All teams will have there day when they got the best fans in the world and the worst fans in the world , it’s all about the time and the place etc ,would Oxford fans and others who have been brought up our home support been saying the same thing if they were there for our games against , Hereford Palace Rotherham both the Manchester clubs Swansea a few years back - and didn’t West Ham fans say we were the best supporters they have had at The London stadium ,it’s all swings and roundabouts , 

over the years through my job I have had corporate tickets for old Trafford Utds home support gets slaughtered for being piss poor ,again like us it’s about the time and place  times I have been there and all you can here are the away fans but I have been there against Liverpool & galatasary and that has to be the loudest I have heard at a football stadium including Wembley - so we all have our moments 

We’re the same as pretty much every other club, sometimes the atmosphere is great, sometimes it’s shit. Depends on many things…performance on the pitch, general feelings towards management, the opposition etc.

Fans of bigger clubs have been very complimentary of our support home and away so that view from an Oxford fan having just lost a game that they desperately wanted to win on their big day out is not too unexpected. 

To be fair for the numbers they had, which was far more than they’ve brought in the past, I expected them to be much louder. 400 Rotherham fans made more noise a few years back but there you go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

We’re the same as pretty much every other club, sometimes the atmosphere is great, sometimes it’s shit. Depends on many things…performance on the pitch, general feelings towards management, the opposition etc.

Fans of bigger clubs have been very complimentary of our support home and away so that view from an Oxford fan having just lost a game that they desperately wanted to win on their big day out is not too unexpected. 

To be fair for the numbers they had, which was far more than they’ve brought in the past, I expected them to be much louder. 400 Rotherham fans made more noise a few years back but there you go. 

I think the atmosphere at AG took a dive after we went all seater (not all the time obviously).

Seats, the Lansdowns and the Manbot...what a joy drain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I think the atmosphere at AG took a dive after we went all seater (not all the time obviously).

Seats, the Lansdowns and the Manbot...what a joy drain.

You could say the same about most clubs to be honest , another reason ( get my tin hat on here )more women and children then ever go to football in this country , you don’t see many women and children at Eastern European games one of the reason there atmospheres tend to be more hostile and energetic ( I’m not knocking women at football just a fact ) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, redkev said:

You could say the same about most clubs to be honest , another reason ( get my tin hat on here )more women and children then ever go to football in this country , you don’t see many women and children at Eastern European games one of the reason there atmospheres tend to be more hostile and energetic ( I’m not knocking women at football just a fact ) 

Totally agree with you, it helps provide the sanitised sport we get now that authorities and club owners appear to want

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, redkev said:

I know the big or a big shift was post 1989 and then Italia 90 and latterly Euro 96 but in the country perse, it's probably got that bit less per decade since the late 1990s let alone 1989-1999.

Bigger 'Safe' Standing areas could assist, oldish Terracing ain't coming back beyond levels where it is still permitted.

On 22/09/2024 at 12:31, Kodjias Wrist said:

I find this is a common theme everywhere. Most of the away games I went to last season had quite home atmospheres. 

I was going to say similar. 
Away fans tend to be more vocal. Including our own. 
I’ve been to a few away games and our fans always do us proud. 

The last time I heard our fans REALLY roar was vs Man United when we beat them - THAT was an incredible night and one I’ll always remember. 

8 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think we do quite well considering the atmosphere is pretty much set up to fail by the logistics of AG. 

I've said it many times, but the Atyeo should be a home end. It should be a completely safe standing area and it should be cheap as chips to encourage it being full every week. 

The away fans should be in the gods and we shouldn't give more than 10% of capacity (2700 MAX)

And the club should invest in the atmosphere because it's worth points to the team. This is probably the most controversial/disputable points I could make on this topic, but if I owned the club and had the riches we have I'd rather spend £50k a season on funding a fan group/SCAT to deliver tifo's, flags displays or whatever else than spend £300k on Harry Cornick/Marcus McGuane. I don't want them influencing what is done with the money, but simply saying to a group here's a budget, spend it and deliver something good for the team. 

Turn the taps off 10 minutes before kick off too. Certainly get rid of the live feed to the game in the concourse. Highlights at HT and FT only.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, BobBobBobbin said:

I think we do quite well considering the atmosphere is pretty much set up to fail by the logistics of AG. 

I've said it many times, but the Atyeo should be a home end. It should be a completely safe standing area and it should be cheap as chips to encourage it being full every week. 

The away fans should be in the gods and we shouldn't give more than 10% of capacity (2700 MAX)

And the club should invest in the atmosphere because it's worth points to the team. This is probably the most controversial/disputable points I could make on this topic, but if I owned the club and had the riches we have I'd rather spend £50k a season on funding a fan group/SCAT to deliver tifo's, flags displays or whatever else than spend £300k on Harry Cornick/Marcus McGuane. I don't want them influencing what is done with the money, but simply saying to a group here's a budget, spend it and deliver something good for the team. 

Turn the taps off 10 minutes before kick off too. Certainly get rid of the live feed to the game in the concourse. Highlights at HT and FT only.

I agree with a lot of your post, however.

Away fans Upper Lansdown, 10% capacity max? That is applicable here.

10%...also read two differing 5njnge for PL, 2k but it's been 3k for some time.

It is 15% in the FA Cup.

4.2k or 3.4k, however much it can hold, the Atyeo as a possible Safe Standing Home end.

Are there also bureaucratic restrictions on % of Stadium that can be allocated to Safe Standing? I concur that the current area is too low.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

Some good points.  Apparently the club are looking into improving the match day atmosphere at AG.

I definitely think extending safe standing at AG will have a positive impact on the atmosphere.  I stand in S82 and it’s great with unreserved standing (nearly as good as the old East End).