IGNORED

Oxford Forum

BCFCGav

On 21/09/2024 at 10:28, Swede said:

There's still an element of why did he leave when he did and its the manner in which he left. I think that's their problem and rightly so.

For me its a lack of respect on his part. He could've defused all of this by handling the leaving situation a lot better. Especially considering the pressure he has brought upon himself with several poor and uninspiring results. The last thing he needs is 3,500 away fans baying for his demise and stoking up the atmosphere. He could've publicly thanked the fans and the players and shown a greater level of sincerity. There are a few things which don't sit comfortably with me like his Oxford presser for example, when questioned about how the Oxford fans think of him, he could've dealt with it a lot better. The bloke is in the public domain, he should be dealing with these situations and questions a lot easier but struggles.

Ironic, as he talks constantly about behaviours yet his continues to be questionable.

I really can't see much of a future here for him. The job is too big for him.

Manager's get sacked every Month in the EFL.  If he had failed at Oxford and been sacked, do you think they would be full of sympathy for him...Ha!!   Why shouldn't he look after himself, I would in his situation?   He left because he was offered a bigger salary, more security, more potential, a bigger budget....and  he is ambitious.  I really don't believe he is bothered by 3.5 k Qxford fans, as it looked to me as if he did a pretty good job there, and they are being small minded and unrealistic if they think he disrespected them?  Despite your  pessimism i think he does have a future here, it is inevitable that there  will be some hiccups along  the way, but i hope we stick with him...............I can see faults and issues with some of his decisions, but I can also see some good ideas and progress in his actions...............give him some time?    Changing manager too often can be counter productive IMO.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 2

On 22/09/2024 at 12:31, Kodjias Wrist said:

I find this is a common theme everywhere. Most of the away games I went to last season had quite home atmospheres. 

Agreed. This is common across England. Look at Manchester United who epitomise this more than almost any other club. Apart from the odd European match Old Trafford is dead, really woeful atmosphere (clearly not helped by the club being in a mess and a decent chunk of fans being day trippers). But their away support is usually fantastic. 

45 minutes ago, The Wild Bunch said:

Some good points.  Apparently the club are looking into improving the match day atmosphere at AG.

I definitely think extending safe standing at AG will have a positive impact on the atmosphere.  I stand in S82 and it’s great with unreserved standing (nearly as good as the old East End).

It seems clear to me, sitting in section A4 (at the South Stand end of the Lansdown) that putting our most vocal fans in the corner of the SS on Dolman side is not the best way of cascading noise around the ground.  Unless the rest of the SS join in with a song / chant, I don’t feel / hear the atmosphere they create themselves, that well.

If the club are serious about creating a better atmosphere, and by atmosphere I mean a more intimidating home fan atmosphere during the 90 mins, then they need to move S82 / Singing section.  If by improving the atmosphere they mean something else, ie bubble machine outside the ground, then I think they’re missing the point that many fans are making.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, BobBobBobbin said:

And the club should invest in the atmosphere because it's worth points to the team.

Is this actually the case? If it was, wouldn't the clubs with the best atmosphere win the league every season?

A good atmosphere is more enjoyable for the fans without doubt, but how much of that actually transfers to performance on the pitch?

There will always be examples of players saying how incredible it is to play in an atmosphere, but does it just make them feel better themselves or does it actually improve results?

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Chairman Mao said:

Agreed. This is common across England. Look at Manchester United who epitomise this more than almost any other club. Apart from the odd European match Old Trafford is dead, really woeful atmosphere (clearly not helped by the club being in a mess and a decent chunk of fans being day trippers). But their away support is usually fantastic. 

Spot on , I have been to Old Trafford a few time and like you say the home support takes a while to get going local derbies and European nights are very good mind , as for Utd away probably the best away support in the country , very loud , continuous singing with a great play list of songs 

13 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Is this actually the case? If it was, wouldn't the clubs with the best atmosphere win the league every season?

A good atmosphere is more enjoyable for the fans without doubt, but how much of that actually transfers to performance on the pitch?

There will always be examples of players saying how incredible it is to play in an atmosphere, but does it just make them feel better themselves or does it actually improve results?

It is not gonna make teams win their respective leagues., obviously.............but that 5 or 10 percent extra motivation and adrenaline rush that a pumping atmosphere creates can be invaluable in certain games.............and so maybe those couple of late winners and added points get you into the play offs?  I believe  over the course of a seaaon it can make a difference............and i have definitely been at City away games when our opponents   fans have made such an intimidating environment that it has seemingly   aided a home victory?............  it certainly intimidated me! Ha!

Edited by maxjak

14 hours ago, richwwtk said:

If you feel better, doesn't it make sense that you will do more play better ?
If you are something and getting lots of praise and encouragement , got lots of people behind you literally supporting you , I have no doubt you will able to raise your output. How many sprinters do PBs at big games with noisy crowds ?

Then think about times when you feel everyones against you , much harder to reach peak performance. Plus the way that the games around COVID with no crowds, I  found this from an article ;

In 4,844 games across 11 countries home teams accrued significantly fewer points and scored fewer goals, with crowds absent.

Kind of makes the point doesn't it. 

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

It seems clear to me, sitting in section A4 (at the South Stand end of the Lansdown) that putting our most vocal fans in the corner of the SS on Dolman side is not the best way of cascading noise around the ground.  Unless the rest of the SS join in with a song / chant, I don’t feel / hear the atmosphere they create themselves, that well.

If the club are serious about creating a better atmosphere, and by atmosphere I mean a more intimidating home fan atmosphere during the 90 mins, then they need to move S82 / Singing section.  If by improving the atmosphere they mean something else, ie bubble machine outside the ground, then I think they’re missing the point that many fans are making.

The safe standing/ singing / cheaper seats need to be at least half way around SS 

• Robin 1

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I can say with an element of certainty that it does, It's obviously intangible but there are many performances and moments where the fans have been able to directly influence what happens on the pitch. Sometimes for the worse of course. 

Be it engaged fans screaming man on to help a player in a moment to performances like that against Hartlepool and Palace and United, where undoubtedly we helped the team deliver in the moments where they needed that last push. 

Perhaps I'm a romanticist, but I can't imagine there's anything more encouraging for a player than to hear your name being sung by the people who idolise you. I doubt there's anything more off putting than a hostile environment for an away player (See how Neville describes playing at Anfield for instance).

It's probably only part of a percent impact, but in football those marginal gains add up (I feel myself turning into Al Pacino here...)

I also think the club benefits from an atmosphere of togetherness. When we are together this place can be unplayable and unbeatable. Cotts called it right after the Swindon game. His post match interview should be played on the big screen before every game. it's a call to arms. We are Bristol City football club. Not just the players, not just the fans. All. And the club should facilitate that much more aggressively imo.

Same goes for fan groups. SCAT should be even more vociferous in demanding changes, should be leading on it and being an absolute pain in the ass for the club. Easy from the outside to demand it, I know. I just think it's gone so sterile that there's not much hope of being like when I was a kid without some serious intervention.

• Thanks 1