IGNORED

Oxford Forum

BCFCGav

Just now, AppyDAZE said:

But surely you agree with my third sentence?

This is a game I really, really, really want to win.

Maybe not all City fans feel the same way.

Odd.

I’ve been clear whenever this comes up - I always want us to win. Check all the other threads asking the same thing in the last day or so.

You just asked why they are bitter - I’ve answered that for you.

Odd response.

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

They’re bitter about him leaving because of the following:

- He said immediately before he was appointed here that there had been no talks

- He left without even talking/saying goodbye to the players and staff in person, just skulking off into the night

- He treated existing staff (Wayne Brown) like dirt

- They appointed him and took a gamble on a manager who’d failed at the level, and as soon as someone came sniffing after a run of form, he went at the first opportunity

- He was heavily backed in the summer and then walked out.

They don’t hate him because of his demeanour, cliches or “behaviours”. They hate him because in their opinion he was classless, gutless and lacked integrity. And based on the evidence, you’d say that they’ve got the right to do so.

I find them saying they ‘saved him’ genuinely laughable.

He got 89 points in league one the season before, in any other year that’s promotion to the championship. I hardly see a struggling following season after losing 3 or 4 of your best players an embarrassment, personally. They act like he was someone who’d just been sacked by three separate league two clubs or something. 

Being harsh on players/staff when doing well = ‘ruthless’, doing the same when poorly = ‘mean’ ….

Not meant to be some vehement defence of him, but I find it extremely tinpot.

the best form of revenge is simply to ignore. They went on to get promoted at Wembley by a fan, by someone who’s apparently way better than Liam, though let’s just overlook that no other EFL would’ve ever touched him & that they were passionately calling for him to be sacked not too long ago…. 

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He got 89 points in league one the season before, in any other year that’s promotion to the championship. I hardly see a struggling following season after losing 3 or 4 of your best players an embarrassment, personally. They act like he was someone who’d just been sacked by three separate league two clubs or something. 

Being harsh on players/staff when doing well = ‘ruthless’, doing the same when poorly = ‘mean’ ….

the best form of revenge is simply to ignore. They went on to get promoted at Wembley by a fan, by someone who’s apparently way better than Liam, though let’s just overlook that no other EFL would’ve ever touched him & that they were passionately calling for him to be sacked not too long ago…. 

So do you think that it’ll be just a few of their delusional ‘nutters’ who know no better screaming abuse at Liam then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

So why are they bitter about him leaving?

Surely you'd just be happy about it?

This is a game I really, really, really want to win and win well.

Send 'em all packing before the final whistle.

I'm hearing they are thinking about bringing items to show their displeasure with, why bother🤣

Edit, I've since read the post from @Silvio Dantewhich explains a lot. 

It seems Liam is viewed similarly to when Matty Taylor joined us!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FNQ said:

So do you think that it’ll be just a few of their delusional ‘nutters’ who know no better screaming abuse at Liam then?

No I think it’ll be the majority of the away end, if not all of it, giving him stick

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Don’t disagree with a lot of that, and undoubtedly there was a proportion of their fanbase calling for Buckinghams head around January - just giving it as they see it from their forum.

The point about “point of appointment” of Liam to Oxford is interesting. When he joined, IIRC there was a mutual break in the contract - neither party felt the other was a sure thing. Now, I do think that in those circumstances you can’t blame Liam in some ways for taking the next upwardly mobile bus, but I think what rankles with them is that it was the first bit of “form” - the prior year he didn’t improve their ppg and only got (I think) wins against the hapless Forest Green and Cheltenham.

And in a lot of ways at our appointment you’d say “more fool us” because we appointed on form without record - but that’s for another thread.

As I said, I get it from their perspective. The speed of leaving and the demeanour of leaving was, externally, a bit classless (even if as above you can make a case for the speed). I don’t think we’d react much differently in similar circumstances- you only have to look at the vitriol directed Conways way from some to see that. But he’s here now, for good or bad, and let’s just hope for either a marked turnaround or a swift end to the madness.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

There's still an element of why did he leave when he did and its the manner in which he left. I think that's their problem and rightly so.

For me its a lack of respect on his part. He could've defused all of this by handling the leaving situation a lot better. Especially considering the pressure he has brought upon himself with several poor and uninspiring results. The last thing he needs is 3,500 away fans baying for his demise and stoking up the atmosphere. He could've publicly thanked the fans and the players and shown a greater level of sincerity. There are a few things which don't sit comfortably with me like his Oxford presser for example, when questioned about how the Oxford fans think of him, he could've dealt with it a lot better. The bloke is in the public domain, he should be dealing with these situations and questions a lot easier but struggles.

Ironic, as he talks constantly about behaviours yet his continues to be questionable.

I really can't see much of a future here for him. The job is too big for him.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

- He left without even talking/saying goodbye to the players and staff in person, just skulking off into the night

- They appointed him and took a gamble on a manager who’d failed at the level, and as soon as someone came sniffing after a run of form, he went at the first opportunity

They don’t hate him because of his demeanour, cliches or “behaviours”. They hate him because in their opinion he was classless, gutless and lacked integrity. And based on the evidence, you’d say that they’ve got the right to do so.

“Career first” head-coach.  Most are though.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

“Career first” head-coach.  Most are though.

As they should be, same for players too.. but try and be classy and show some respect and gratitude to the club and fans that you’re leaving behind. 
Interesting to see how he celebrates or reacts when we score..

• Like 1

I really hope this is a feisty encounter today.  Better than it being a bland affair between two clubs with little rivalry between them, apart from Manning, Atkinson, Sykes, Dickie, McGuane and McNally.  Wait a minute!

I’m not sure how either manager would cope with a chaotic game, but I bet some of our players would much prefer it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FNQ said:

As they should be, same for players too.. but try and be classy and show some respect and gratitude to the club and fans that you’re leaving behind. 
Interesting to see how he celebrates or reacts when we score..

**** me you’re optimistic!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I really hope this is a feisty encounter today.  Better than it being a bland affair between two clubs with little rivalry between them, apart from Manning, Atkinson, Sykes, Dickie, McGuane and McNally.  Wait a minute!

I’m not sure how either manager would cope with a chaotic game, but I bet some of our players would much prefer it.

It’s going to be the chess match of all chess matches tbh. I’m most interested in how we react to them wanting to make it fiesty though, considering none of us or them particularly care about Oxford. Two coaches who learnt everything from the same textbook. 

Edited by petehinton

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I think it could be.

Biggest crowd of the season, big away contingent with a grudge or 2..hopefully our fans will respond in kind to the undoubted noise from their end.

We're okay at Home, we need really need a reaction- Oxford well I could be wrong but IMO won't be parking the bus.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

On 19/09/2024 at 14:02, Negan said:

Oxford are in for a right shock. Whenever we have a big home crowd the team always turns up and absolutely annihilates whoever is unfortunate enough to be playing us. Chuck in our far superior manager and 3 points is a given. 

I can give u the phone number of a quite good psychiatrist...........if interested?

Another belter from them, we are no bigger because if they had a 20,000 stadium they would also average 20,000 in the Champ. 

Despite then not averaging five figures in my lifetime 🤣

Total jokers, at least Barnsley fans with LJ were a yoyo L1 Champ team at the time

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Didn't realise he'd left in that manner! - where's the blokes own self respect. 

Career progression,everyone understands that - when you go,,leave with dignity & style,,making sure that those around you are aware of how grateful you are for their care & support.

To fail to do so is embarrassing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, One Team said:

It’s depressingly amusing reading their comments about Manning. 

“Robotic”, “principles”, “60th minute subs”, “behaviours”….

Dear christ that's so accurate it's annoying me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They really aren't fans of Manning.

Expect it'll be quite a noisy away end, hopefully our fans can respond in kind.

Yeah I get it. But they’re clearly onto better things with Buckingham and have momentum, just enjoy it.

That above is just weird behaviour.