IGNORED

best ever left side in a city team

My vote would be Bell at left back, Tinnion in midfield and Brennan on the left wing.

They had such an understanding and great anticipation between them.

Maybe Scott might have been a better fullback, Smith a better left winger but to put each player into one team was a delight to watch

We've not been strong down the left for years, although Jo Bryan loved a rampage now and then

sort the left out mr Manning and watch us start winning again 

4 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

My vote would be Bell at left back, Tinnion in midfield and Brennan on the left wing.

Maybe Scott might have been a better fullback, Smith a better left winger but to put each player into one team was a delight to watch

We've not been strong down the left for years, although Jo Bryan loved a rampage now and then

Where's the Walshy step over to?

• Like 2

We have had loads of quality left backs, though just to contradict the OP I would be amazed if we ever lined up with Brennan in front of Bell & Tinnion centrally.

McAllister & McIndoe might not have been the most flashy but unless you can remember the first division days, it was the most successful.

Drysdale & Whitehead? Merrick instead of Speedy once Hunter signed?

Magnússon with Bryan in front? Worked against Man U..

My favourite left back was Martin Scott, proper defender who could play a bit, too.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

LCB Hunter - LB Merrick;

LCM Mann - LW Whitehead.

Obviously.

Although my guess is they actually played very few games together, on account of Merrick's injuries.

Tinnion not remotely close btw, nor any of the excellent Left Backs we've had since Martin Scott - none of them played against, and defeated, England's finest teams. Some of those teams being the best in Europe at that time, too.

Heady days indeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, where's the joy said:

I'm sure I remember Brennan LB with Tinnion LW. I took a Forest mate to a game with them, we sat in the Dolman. He kept going on about how great our left side was when we were kicking towards the East End - right in front of us. He was well chuffed when he heard Forest had signed JB.

57 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Never rated either of them. Brennan was a class act.

You were fresh from driving the gas bus so I'll forgive your prejudice 🙃

In all seriousness I don't know who that is. Only started following City in 2001. So in my time, that's the best left side. I've only been to three away games and no home since 2018 (because Lansdown is a belter), all last season, so can't judge since then really.

So in my time, I think they were the best.

2 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

You were fresh from driving the gas bus so I'll forgive your prejudice 🙃

In all seriousness I don't know who that is. Only started following City in 2001. So in my time, that's the best left side. I've only been to three away games and no home since 2018 (because Lansdown is a belter), all last season, so can't judge since then really.

So in my time, I think they were the best.

City had Martin Scott who was another very decent fullback and before him Stuart Munro ho was also decent although not as impressive as the others.

The trouble with “best ever left side in a city team” is people can only comment on those they have seen, not necessarily the best ever.  I can’t imagine anyone can remember the left side when City reached the FA Cup final. More recently, but way back in the past, how about Mike Thresher at left back and Peter Hooper on the left wing? 

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The trouble with “best ever left side in a city team” is people can only comment on those they have seen, not necessarily the best ever.  I can’t imagine anyone can remember the left side when City reached the FA Cup final.

Cottle was Left Fullback.

The fact he played for England and was Bedminster born and bred puts him streets ahead of anyone else, you'dthink.

But like you say, it's unlikely anyone on here saw him play!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, where's the joy said:

100% agree with you. My favourite too. So entertaining to watch.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

The fact he played for England and was Bedminster born and bred puts him streets ahead of anyone else, you'dthink.

I saw his dad play.

27 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I may have seen him play. I look pretty young, but I’m just back dated , yeah

1 hour ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

LCB Hunter - LB Merrick;

LCM Mann - LW Whitehead.

Obviously.

Although my guess is they actually played very few games together, on account of Merrick's injuries.

Tinnion not remotely close btw, nor any of the excellent Left Backs we've had since Martin Scott - none of them played against, and defeated, England's finest teams. Some of those teams being the best in Europe at that time, too.

Heady days indeed.

First season up Merrick played a fair few at LB after Hunter signed, it was the entire third season (Hunter’s last) that Sir Geoffrey missed through injury.

AD did decide for the final game of the first season to leave Merrick out, play The Sween at LB & Donnie Gillies at RB.

Thank eff he did, as we know, Donnie scored the late equaliser.

• Like 3

The first team I started watching had the best winger I've seen play for City , Clive Whitehead . So that kind of ends competition for me, that I loved Brian Drydale behind him helps too.