IGNORED

Get Behind The Team 🔴⚪

James

What would show proper Cojones would be if we win, lose or draw still sack LM. This is the only way that the Hierarchy could even start the very long journey to getting some element of trust of City Supporters.

Then the Hierarchy need to put their heads above their Ivory Tower Parapets and tell it like it is.

Something on the lines of:
We fully acknowledge that mistakes have been made. We are determined to learn from these mistakes this time. We have to make the right choice for the here and NOW and not banking on a potentially excellent Head Coach for the future.

I know as well as all of you on here that there is more chance of Katie Price getting a Credit Card than this happening.

However, relying on another defeat or a further run of defeats only makes our infamous Hierarchy look even worse (yes, it is possible to make them look even worse) to then sack LM in those circumstances. This however, is the most likely scenario and this will just add fuel to the flames because we will then be saying 'do we trust this Muppetry to do any better on the next appointment'.

Enjoy your weekend fellow sufferers!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

As a preamble here - I never want us to lose. I understand people’s view of if we lose it may lead to Liam going which may be a better long term outcome, but also note that I think JL and BT are so interlinked to him that his future is theirs, his failure is theirs (and conversely his success is theirs). They are too weak to sack him unless things go really toxic.

So, I don’t go with us taking the L, because I don’t think it changes things and ultimately I spend thousands a year to see us win.

However, what is bloody stupid in this conversation is the reductive point that “well they might not appoint anyone better”

If you’ve got Nicky Hunt at fullback you try someone else as you know they are unlikely to be worse. If you’ve got Lee Tomlin as your dietary advisor you try someone else as you know they are unlikely to be worse. If you’ve got Fred West as your builder you try someone else as you know they are unlikely to be worse. Etc. Etc.

If it’s determined that Liam Manning can’t do the job, then you sack him. You run the risk of the next guy not being any better, but if you’ve judged his abilities as not up to scratch, keeping him in post because “well someone else might not be any better” is no rationale at all. 

I don’t trust them to pick a good candidate. But what they would do is pick a “reaction” (Ie not a coach who just talks a good game without meaningful experience) and the chances of them getting it right, even if it’s 3/10, have to be worth gambling on if you think the incumbent can’t do the job.

Unless you wanted a patio built... At least he was competent in one aspect of his profession, whereas Liam.....

• Haha 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Come on Phants, this has been done to death.  We all want Manning to have a sudden epiphany and come up with a way to play that entertains the crowd on the way to a win.  The reality is he won't, so cue more boredom until he goes.  I referred to it as people being comfortable to sacrifice 1 match for the benefit of the remaining 40.  

Let me put it another way though.  Let's say we put in another dismal display, lose (any loss would be bad), Manning gets the boot, a new manager comes in - I genuinely don't think there's a worse manager out there (and Tinnion won't put himself in the role) - we start to play well with an attractive style of play, climb the table and finish near the play-offs.  I'm sure many would look back on tomorrow at the end of the season and consider that the defeat benefitted us in the long run.  Those saying they "want" us to lose tomorrow (and I don't think there's many) are just looking ahead to it in advance rather than back on it later on.

Fair points, but we do have a recent history of appointing absolute dross as manager. 

How often have we regularly played great football though? The LJ Cup semi season, Cotts getting us promoted.... 

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

You get grumpier every season and in this one I believe you are on fire.

I'm not the only one to think this then 

59 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Forced Jollity won't work, fans will call it as they see it although I as I'm sure we all do, want us to win every match we play and push for excellence in all areas at all times.

What forced jolity are you referring to? 

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

Fair points, but we do have a recent history of appointing absolute dross as manager. 

How often have we regularly played great football though? The LJ Cup semi season, Cotts getting us promoted.... 

I'm not the only one to think this then 

What forced jolity are you referring to? 

Nope, passionate and concerned about the direction of travel yet despite that trying to find grounds for optimism.

Forced jolity isn't an entirely serious statement, a bit off the cuff but the idea that some posters seem to have that believe it'll go right and it  will go right. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

• Admin
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Nope, passionate and concerned about the direction of travel yet despite that trying to find grounds for optimism.

Forced jolity isn't an entirely serious statement, a bit off the cuff but the idea that some posters seem to have that believe it'll go to right and it right. 

I get what you mean now 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, phantom said:

You can dress it up any way you like, you still want us to lose 

All this greater good nonsense is a joke, who's to say things don't get worse if someone new does come in? 

By your own admission you'll keep wanting us to lose until LM is sacked then? 

I am dismayed that any "supporter" would ever want us to lose a game 

What will they be like at the game tomorrow, secretly wanting us to miss chances, make mistakes etc? 

Is it any different to when the coach/manager loses the dressing room and the players see it isn't working? 

4 hours ago, mozo said:

So if you get your wish mate and we get smashed and Manning gets the chop on Sunday...

...what do you think the odds are of JL, BT et al appointing a replacement who has the particular characteristics that you feel Manning is lacking? 

Is any better than a coin toss?

When we come to that bridge...

Is a supporter wanting a coach gone, any different to the board wanting the same and sacking him?

Have I got to wait for that day...or can I make my own judgement?

• Like 5

• Admin
1 hour ago, spudski said:

Is it any different to when the coach/manager loses the dressing room and the players see it isn't working? 

Very much so, I assume you are trying to say that you belive things aren't working? 

What do you see, 90 minutes a week.. 

Players see six days of a number of hours 

I'm pretty sure there's a reason you are posting on a forum and not sat in the dressing room. 

For clarity, if we don't lose tomorrow, or LM keeps his job if we do lose, does that mean you'll hope we lose to Swansea, and on and on ? 

1 hour ago, spudski said:

When we come to that bridge...

Is a supporter wanting a coach gone, any different to the board wanting the same and sacking him?

Have I got to wait for that day...or can I make my own judgement?

Now you're comparing yourself to the board... 

This is priceless 

On 19/09/2024 at 20:28, James said:

There’s no hiding from it, the last 2 results away from home have been disappointing.

But OUR Manager and OUR Players have come out and owned that.

Those games are in the past now and the season is still young.

We’re back at home on Saturday. Back in OUR Church, with the players surrounded by OUR fans.

Nobody should need reminding of how the noise generated in AG can push OUR team on. We’ve seen it countless times over the years, both pre and post ‘redevelopment’.

The Millwall game earlier this season is a perfect recent example. From the 1st minute to the last, it was a constant wall of noise, and the players responded.

In English Football we've all witnessed the corporate sanitisation inside grounds, soulless bowls that cater more towards a tourist experience than that of the life and blood of every club - the fans.

And it’s important for us all, as fans, to remind ourselves that we are the heart of this club.

And as the heart, without us it’s nothing.

So, lets do OUR bit, starting with Saturday.

Leave the negativity at home, life is too short. And regardless of which part of the ground you’re in, let’s remind ourselves what a buzzing Ashton Gate can be like, on and off the pitch.

Whichever 11 players are out there wearing our beloved Red & White, lets get behind OUR team.

Who knows where it’ll take us..

COYR!

what time you teeing off at kendleshire on sunday brian?

On 19/09/2024 at 20:37, spudski said:

Everyone wants our team to do well.

No one is negative.

It's constructive criticism.

Criticism based on the shit Manning is turning out.

You wouldn't cheer a bag of shit, even if it was ours. 

Sooner LMs gone the better. 

Gives a chance to change and cheer for something we're proud of.

Right now...not many are proud of the people running this club or the coach. 

They need to know this. 

Not just support crap. 

if i could give this a thousand likes i would mate.

how many on here have watched the crap every game this season?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, phantom said:

Very much so, I assume you are trying to say that you belive things aren't working? 

I'm pretty sure there's a reason you are posting on a forum and not sat in the dressing room. 

For clarity, if we don't lose tomorrow, or LM keeps his job if we do lose, does that mean you'll hope we lose to Swansea, and on and on ? 

This is priceless 

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

This is priceless 

You're very much in a minority in your view, imo. 

You sound like the board...as in not gauging the current feeling of the fans. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. 

And as for ' comparing myself to the board'...I wasn't....but as you put it that way, I reckon many could do a better job over the years given the resources. 

What experience at running a football club has JL, other than being the son of the owner, and learning in the job. 

He was after all, just a fan, like us, with no experience. His dad just had a bunch of money. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, phantom said:

But pretty much all of that is irrelevant. Things could be fantastic during the week, Liam well liked and it could be a superb atmosphere. If those 90 minutes of the week a) don’t produce results and b) don’t entertain the customers (fans) then any manager is a dead man walking. All @spudski is saying is that both (a) and (b) are happening in his opinion and it’s better it ends sooner rather than later.

I’m not sure it’s “priceless” or worthy of ridicule. I can’t agree with wanting us to lose and if Liam takes us on a 700 match run I’ll be the happiest man in the world. 

But the bottom line is this. Those 90 minutes that you, I, and Spud see every week are all that matters. And even more so when the coach isn’t someone who uses academies so we can’t fall back on youth development.

People are entitled to their opinion on that. Everything else is just noise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Admin
49 minutes ago, spudski said:

You're very much in a minority in your view, imo. 

You sound like the board...as in not gauging the current feeling of the fans. 

Everyone's entitled to an opinion. 

And as for ' comparing myself to the board'...I wasn't....but as you put it that way

What minority am I in? At no point have I backed LM but I certainly don't want us to lose tomorrow and if you think I'm in a minority there i would say you are very much mistaken 

I am curious how do I sound like the board. Have they even made a comment, perhaps you could share the link to that please? Or explain how I sound like them. 

My previous point was about you wanting us to lose tomorrow and you've taken it on a tangent quoting my replies out of context 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I've obviously misinterpreted what you meant, I read the above as you saying a supporter has the same power as a member of our board 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

For clarity, if we don't lose tomorrow, or LM keeps his job if we do lose, does that mean you'll hope we lose to Swansea, and on and on? 

This was one part you overlooked @spudskiI'd be interested to hear your views 

40 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

But pretty much all of that is irrelevant. Things could be fantastic during the week, Liam well liked and it could be a superb atmosphere. If those 90 minutes of the week a) don’t produce results and b) don’t entertain the customers (fans) then any manager is a dead man walking. All @spudski is saying is that both (a) and (b) are happening in his opinion and it’s better it ends sooner rather than later.

I’m not sure it’s “priceless” or worthy of ridicule. I can’t agree with wanting us to lose and if Liam takes us on a 700 match run I’ll be the happiest man in the world. 

But the bottom line is this. Those 90 minutes that you, I, and Spud see every week are all that matters. And even more so when the coach isn’t someone who uses academies so we can’t fall back on youth development.

People are entitled to their opinion on that. Everything else is just noise.

That's very true, but any Manager can only judge and pick his squad on what he sees in the week, we only get a very small insight into the goings on in the club. 

I'd say it certainly is up for ridicule when a "supporter" has stated they want us to lose a game

I do agree about the lack of youth pathway, but last season it was recognised the U23s / U21s weren't up to scratch hence why all the focus was on the U18s, so there isn't that usual quality available this season 

The last paragraph is spot on, and we're all entitled to an opinion whether 99% or 1% of people agree with it 

It's actually a refreshing debate

• Flames 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno what it had to do with it?

Portsmouth literally came in with an offer for him, Compensation and higher division club..why would he stay?

This whole Manning period does remind me of the Pulis days. 

Although Manning has had some highs like Southampton, Leicester, West Ham. 

27 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Goal for Palmer and assist too or at least pass that was deflected into own goal.

Any 12.30pm kick-offs to push us closer? 😬

When we win we will leapfrog both of them, so it was a good result for us :dance:

I wonder if Coventry fans are equally distressed at the moment?

They've got the same number of points as us. 

Their only league win was home to Oxford; a 96th minute winner in a 3-2 win. 

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do agree about the lack of youth pathway, but last season it was recognised the U23s / U21s weren't up to scratch hence why all the focus was on the U18s, so there isn't that usual quality available this season 

The powers that be decided to basically go away from the academy strategy last season for a bit of glory.  They delayed development of some u18s who might usually “play up”.  How many times did Tinnion state that approach over recent years, “we play the 16s in the 18s, the 18s in the 21s, etc..”.

Knock on effects?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This whole Manning period does remind me of the Pulis days. 

Although Manning has had some highs like Southampton, Leicester, West Ham. 

Enjoyed Watford Away, plus to varying degrees Hull, Sunderland and Middlesbrough at Home too. Blackburn Home, Norwich Away? Plymouth Away maybe.

Hard to compare periods,while the Football is technically better how some of the games have been very sleep inducing.

He got poached however. Not sure of subsequent City managers to be poached?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous