IGNORED

Oxford United at home match thread

Jerseybean

We welcome Oxford United to Ashton Gate, at just 85 miles away it’s almost a derby and it is Family Day! There will be lots of fun activities for all the family, whilst all Under-12’s tickets are only £1 in all areas of the stadium. There will be 3,500 + away fans in attendance.

They are ten places above us on nine points. Last Saturday they beat Stoke City 1-0 at the Kassam Stadium, on Monday Stoke sacked their manager Steven Schumacher.

Manning’s presser: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/manning-on-oxford-united-clash/

Max pre-match: https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/oleary-previews-oxford-united/

Also BL piece re LM switching from them to us:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liam-manning-lifts-lid-managerial-9563510?utm_source=bristol_live_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=auto_bcfc_newsletter&utm_content=&utm_term=&ruid=eda3a0ce-34ec-4a85-96cd-ae68727a6b80

Which includes a couple of interesting / debatable comments for me…..

‘He impressed in the first seven months of his time at BS3’ - really?

‘When asked by Bristol Live whether he has improved as a coach since his time in the Championship, he said: “It’s one I've spent a bit of time on over the summer thinking over. I do think there is a jump up from League One to the Championship in terms of the level of players, style of games, level of games and I do think the margins are a lot finer in the Championship.’ - no shit Sherlock!

They finished last season in fifth place in League 1, ten points behind Bolton, but won the play-off final against the Trotters 2-0 to return to the Championship after a 25 year absence.

Des Buckingham joined the U’s as head coach part way through the season, after it was announced that Liam Manning would depart to join us - and the trajectory the club have been on since is immense, https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2023/november/des-buckingham-becomes-head-coach

Since his arrival in November, the former Mumbai City boss guided his hometown club to a spot in the play-offs on the final day of the season when they moved up two places to finish fifth.

Yet it was their previous match against Bolton - when Buckingham's side suffered a chastening 5-0 defeat at the Toughsheet Community Stadium in March - that proved to be the impetus they needed.

That loss kick-started an overwhelming upturn in form as they won by four or more goals in three consecutive games in April.

With plans for a new stadium on the horizon, the club will be hoping that promotion to the Championship - with the backing of over 30,000 supporters at Wembley - is a reason to be optimistic about what the future will look like for the U's.

They have not played in English football's second tier since the turn of the millennium, when it was then called Division One in 1999. The club narrowly missed out on promotion behind closed doors in 2020 against Wycombe Wanderers.

Sports Mole is going for 1-1, https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bristol-city/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-oxford-utd-prediction-team-news-lineups_553255.html

72 preview can’t see us winning, https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/bristol-city/preview/preview-bristol-city-vs-oxford-utd-prediction-team-news-lineups_553255.html

Their MDT, https://yellowsforum.co.uk/threads/21-09-24-championship-bristol-city-v-oufc.11304/

Head-to-head record we have won 12, drawn 13 and lost 19.

Officials. Referee is Will Finnie assisted by Nigel Lugg and Matthew Smith. Fourth oficial Stephen Martin.

Last time out we beat them in the cup at AG https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSAo-Qg9wzI

Defender Joe Bennett will miss the rest of 2024 after sustaining an injury in the 3-1 victory against Preston North End.

They have been very busy with incomings!

In June they signed Wales midfielder Will Vaulks after he rejected a new deal at Sheffield Wednesday. The 30-year-old, who has won seven Wales caps, signed what Oxford described as a "long-term contract".

They signed West Ham United goalkeeper Jacob Knightbridge on an undisclosed contract. The 20-year-old joined the U's on a free transfer when his deal with the Hammers expired on July 1.

They added right-back Peter Kioso from Rotherham United for an undisclosed fee. The Dublin-born 24-year-old spent the first half of last season on loan at Peterborough before featuring 12 times for the Millers.

They also signed Derby midfielder Louie Sibley on a long-term deal. The 22-year-old rejected a new deal from the Rams and arrived at the Kassam Stadium on a free transfer.

They  signed former Wimbledon player Jack Currie on a long-term deal for an undisclosed fee.

Also signed Ipswich Town midfielder Idris El Mizouni. Reported that the U's paid a fee of around £400,000 for the Tunisia international, who signed a three-year contract.

They added Poland international winger Przemyslaw Placheta.

The 26-year-old moved on a free transfer, having been released by Swansea earlier this summer.

They picked up goalkeeper Matt Ingram from Hull City for an undisclosed fee.

Also signed former West Bromwich Albion winger Matt Phillips (33).

They signed winger Malcolm Ebiowei on loan for the 2024-25 season from Crystal Palace.

Also signed Tottenham striker Dane Scarlett on a season-long loan.

Scarlett, 20, has made 17 first-team appearances for Spurs. He spent the first half of last season on loan at Ipswich Town in the Championship, failing to score in 12 substitute appearances.

In August they signed right-back Hidde ter Avest and forward Marselino Ferdinan on free transfers. Ter Avest, 27, joined on a "long-term contract" having not been offered a new deal by Eredivise club FC Utrecht. https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/hidde-ter-avest-signs-oxford-united

Indonesia international Marselino, 19, spent last season with KMSK Deinze in Belgium. He has three goals in 26 appearances for his country.

Added Birmingham City winger Siriki Dembele for an undisclosed fee.  The 27-year-old agreed an undisclosed long-term contract at the Kassam Stadium.

On deadline day they added central defender Ben Nelson on a season-long loan from Leicester City.

They re-signed Kyle Edwards on a short-term contract. Edwards spent last season with Oxford, firstly on loan from Ipswich Town and then on a deal until the end of the campaign. The 26-year-old midfielder was released following the U's promotion to the Championship, but he has returned as a free agent. Edwards played six times last season and scored two goals but a hamstring injury ended his season prematurely.

Of course it’s the former club of Mark Sykes, Rob Dickie, Luke McNally, Rob Atkinson and (as per nabove) Liam Manning. In March 2023 they appointed LM as Head Coach. The 37 year old, first came to prominence as coach of the West Ham under-23 side before joining City Football Group and becoming first Director of Coaching at New York City FC and then Head Coach at Lommel FC in Belgium. He then enjoyed a successful spell at MK Dons where he guided the club to the play-off semi-final in his first season. Here is his first interview: https://youtu.be/segtq6fdboI

They have a number of celebrity supporters, including Richard Branson, Timmy Mallett, Tim Henman and Jim Rosenthal.

To finish, a bit of info about the Oxford comma, https://villanovan.com/24386/opinion/the-oxford-comma-a-form-of-grammatical-divinity/#:~:text=Technically%20speaking%2C%20the%20Oxford%20comma,known%20as%20“grammatically%20optional

In short it’s a comma used after the penultimate item in a list of three or more items, before ‘and’ or ‘or’.

The Oxford comma has been attributed to Horace Hart, printer and controller of the Oxford University Press from 1893 to 1915, who wrote Hart's Rules for Compositors and Readers in 1905 as a style guide for the employees working at the press.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

Good as always @Jerseybean . I’m alway fascinated,  when I read your match day threads, by the head-to head record as we seem to have lost more matches than we’ve won against so many teams. How can it be so bad against a team like Oxford?

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Good as always @Jerseybean . I’m alway fascinated,  when I read your match day threads, by the head-to head record as we seem to have lost more matches than we’ve won against so many teams. How can it be so bad against a team like Oxford?

I know pongo88 it still astonishes me! 

So the weekend has started well.

Wife had an Op Wednesday, she's fine but it's a long recovery and means I can't go Saturday , no problem.

Got in touch with a couple of mate's to pass on my ticket. One already bought one and the other was unsure he could make it. 

Forward thinking I thought pass it to my mate who sits next to me ,and he can just use it for someone. 

Except I got the dates wrong and he's in St. Lucia. 

Well at least I now know how to pass on a ticket :facepalm:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I’m looking forward to observing our next bright young manager. 

May I be the first to say “welcome Des”. 

To them or us? 

Need to put 4 or 5 past them first though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Need to put 4 or 5 past them first though.

True. Their last manager was a genius but a little naive. Played pretty football but couldn’t stop them shipping a boat load of goals against well-drilled Championship opposition. What could possibly go wrong?? 

32 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’m dreading it! 

Hopefully we are not utter rubbish again! 

For Mr Manning to be under this much pressure so early in the season is worrying! 

I’ll predict a 2/2 as they are nailed on to score!

i dont think we can hold on for a draw unless we equalise very late on. feeling more 1-3,   but look on the bright side, i never get it right. (  its a lie, accidentally on purpose, its catching you know😉)

• Haha 1

Don’t know why but I really fancy us to turn them over tomorrow- I think we will finallly see Twine in the position he was signed for, maybe Roberts come in for Pring and Sykes also benched.

Think Manning will get the win he really does need.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fisherrich said:

Was discussing this down the pub just now, set up for a boring 0-0 draw is just classic. TBF will get toxic if City lose tomorrow.

I think a draw will be toxic…. The worst of all scenarios is if he sets up to avoid defeat… but loses. 
I really hope he goes looking to win the game but I’m not sure the defensive side of our game can be trusted…. whereas last year it was our strength. One way or another it’s all on Manning and his problem to solve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t know why but I really fancy us to turn them over tomorrow- I think we will finallly see Twine in the position he was signed for, maybe Roberts come in for Pring and Sykes also benched.

Think Manning will get the win he really does need.

Yep, got the same feeling. Don’t ask me why, just a hunch that we’ll turn up tomorrow. 3-1 to City. Well, bloody hope so! Really need it to at least boost some enthusiasm again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hmm is a draw fine?

I suppose an extremely good display or denied by officials but...a draw would in most circumstances feel quite underwhelming.

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Draw is not fine but I do think it will be the result.

The last two games have been 3 nil drubbings.

The Blackburn game was a step backwards from the Derby game. It was also after the internarional break where some the players got to join Manning on the grass.

So the Blackburn game was a ******* disaster.

So yes a draw is fine based on the last two results.

3 minutes ago, rednotblue said:

The last two games have been 3 nil drubbings.

The Blackburn game was a step backwards from the Derby game. It was also after the internarional break where some the players got to join Manning on the grass.

So the Blackburn game was a ******* disaster.

So yes a draw is fine based on the last two results.

Can't deny the first two-three paragraphs but biggest crowd of the season a win and good performance feels important here plus the Manning factor IMO.