IGNORED

Oxford United at home match thread

Jerseybean

I'm thinking we get a 1-0 lead, Oxford equalise in the last 20 minutes, heads go down as we try to get the lead back, squeeky bum time for the rest of the match, ends a draw with us feeling deflated. 

I'm hoping however that we come out and get an early goal and use that to bring Oxford forward and hit them with counter attacks, but I think that may be a little optimistic. 

17 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Don’t know why but I really fancy us to turn them over tomorrow- I think we will finallly see Twine in the position he was signed for, maybe Roberts come in for Pring and Sykes also benched.

Think Manning will get the win he really does need.

Agree a convincing win today city are not as  bad as the last two results  the first half against Coventry (supposedly one of the best teams in the division) most of us were thinking we had a good side and play-offs bound.Every team will have bad runs throughout the season.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Spike said:

I'm thinking we get a 1-0 lead, Oxford equalise in the last 20 minutes, heads go down as we try to get the lead back, squeeky bum time for the rest of the match, ends a draw with us feeling deflated. 

I'm hoping however that we come out and get an early goal and use that to bring Oxford forward and hit them with counter attacks, but I think that may be a little optimistic. 

I’m thinking 2-0 down after 25 mins and the crowd turn. 

Two poor results on the bounce and all doom gloom… look back on this forum end last season and all the plaudits for LM… ‘ how wrong was I’ a common theme…

Now, as per football fans the world over, results driven and everybody should be sacked.

The Millwall game was a good watch, as was Coventry.  Our third league game at the Gate and I am expecting a performance and result… and like many will see how LM lines up the side.  Expecting a few changes…and a win. 
just done my accumulator on a City win, Rovers loss. Expect to cash in 😀

Edited by DT The Optimist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DT The Optimist said:

Two poor results on the bounce and all doom gloom… look back on this forum end last season and all the plaudits for LM… ‘ how wrong was I’ a common theme…

Now, as per football fans the world over, results driven and everybody should be sacked.

The Millwall game was a good watch, as was Coventry.  Our third league game at the Gate and I am expecting a performance and result… and like many will see how LM lines up the side.  Expecting a few changes…and a win. 

Your Forum name is very apt 

26 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

Most people could see through the results at the end of last season. We scraped past Rotherham had a lucky penalty to save a point v Huddersfield and got walloped by Stoke. We didn't play great football. There weren't many on here saying "how wrong was I" during that spell. Most were holding fire until the start of this season to see if Manning had learnt anything by introducing (or was it player inspired) a more forward thinking playing mentality. We can see from the results and performances so far that he hasn't and in fact we are regressing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tecknical Director said:

Mehmeti over Yu? 😂.

what is the ******* point in signing these players if you aren’t going to use them ffs.

Maybe Yu isn't impreesing in training, who knows.

But I'm genuinely surprised that he hasn't dropped either Williams or Knight (preferably) to allow Twine to revert to his natural position. We'll stil have the issue of the left being open.

Absolute idiot that's the only way I can describe Manning.

Bird and Twine do not work. Twine is a 10 not a 7 or 11 yet he'll shove him out on the wing and give Roberts no support.

The Bird, Williams, Twine and Knight system does not work we can all see this and the only person who doesnt see it is Manning. It needs to he 3 from 4 not all 4.

• Like 1

He really is adamant with that midfield setup...own worst enemy if it goes wrong again. 

Good luck to Roberts covering 2 positions on the left hand side!

Personally prefer Anis on the left rather than right, would rather have seen Yu there.

Good luck lads - big big game!

Edited by HOZDA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BetterRedthanBlue said:

Absolute idiot that's the only way I can describe Manning.

Bird and Twine do not work. Twine is a 10 not a 7 or 11 yet he'll shove him out on the wing and give Roberts no support.

The Bird, Williams, Twine and Knight system does not work we can all see this and the only person who doesnt see it is Manning. It needs to he 3 from 4 not all 4.

He is clueless! This is taking the Mickey out of all City fans! He is a disgrace. Get rid. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Midred said:

Has Manning negotiated for a relegation bonus this season to take away with the remainder of his contract payment?

I think Jon must have promised him 50 grand if he takes us out of the Championship 

1 minute ago, redkev said:

Pring has been poor for a while now in my opinion, he did set very high standards 18 months ago though 

He has been poor but he has also been incredibly isolated. I've always thought Roberts to be poor at LB but very good at CB. I do think Roberts will be better at crossing from deep than Pring, which he will need to be because so far the left side of midfield is an empty void.

7 minutes ago, BS3 Ark at Ee said:

Let’s spend all summer chasing a 10 then play him out wide! 😡 Lee Johnson all over again! 

That’s not the problem. We brought bird in to play in midfield but he has to shoehorn two 10’s which doesn’t work . Not how he sets us up anyway . Sykes & Pring been scapegoated by fans but it’s how they’ve been asked to play . We’re very unbalanced . Hope I’m wrong but can’t see it changing today no matter who plays . 

• Like 2

Just now, bcfcape91 said:

He has been poor but he has also been incredibly isolated. I've always thought Roberts to be poor at LB but very good at CB. I do think Roberts will be better at crossing from deep than Pring, which he will need to be because so far the left side of midfield is an empty void.

I do totally agree about him being left isolated , but also think his levels have dropped off , saying that I think knight has been poor all season as has Williams at some parts but they seem to be mannings favs 

Afternoon all from Sunny Tallinn, want City to win this afternoon obviously, but I'm afraid with this line up, all I can see is a draw or even a defeat. Agree with loads of posters who say playing Twine out of position is insane and Williams and knight do not work. Really hope we get a win as we need it after those 3 nil defeats, so come on boys get us a result. Come On You Reds!

17 hours ago, rednotblue said:

A draw is fine.

The PERFORMANCE is everything tomorrow.

14 hours ago, rednotblue said:

So yes a draw is fine based on the last two results.

I bloody hope we've not gone from "aiming for top 6" to "a draw at home to Oxford is fine" within the space of 5 league games!

What an indictment that would be.

All the talk from Manning of getting back to basics and still it seems he doesn't pick Twine in his preferred position, unless he is going to play Bird LW which would be almost as bad.

Williams was culpable for the first and second Blackburn goals, not to mention the gift he have Hull 1st game, just drop him and play Bird & Knight central midfield and Twine centrally in his best position - that is getting back to basics.

Manning OUT

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wade Wilson said:

Went skinhead and becomes undroppable. Power move. 

I find that hard to believe, I mean despite his shortcomings Manning is a professional football manager and I just can't see him making selections based on haircuts. If he did then what's to stop all the players cutting their hair in a style that pleases the manager? I just don't think it's realistic. 

• Haha 2

• Admin
27 minutes ago, PortInTheMorning said:

I know it's a squad game these days and "best 11s" are therefore superfluous, but if put on the spot I would hazard a guess that most City fans would put Twine at 10 and Bird in CM in any such exercise. Liam, however, seems hell-bent on proving at the umpteenth event that Twine as an infield winger and Bird at 10 works to prove he's better than everyone or something. In the meantime, until that magical evening or afternoon, our results will continue to suffer. Irrespective of if we win, Manning out!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

Roberts for Pring? Hmmmm. Seems Pring is the scapegoat this week. 

Overwork the ******…then drop him!!!

Cam 📞 “hi Danny…” 😝😝😝

21 minutes ago, Leabrook said:

It’s so weird. Obviously Liam knows more about football than any of us fans and yet he is the only one who would play Bird at 10

Liam’s mum at the church parade “look at r Liam, he’s the only one marching in line”!

• Haha 5

So is it just a simple:

MO

GT ZV LM HR

JW JK

AM MB ST

SA

or a convoluted wingback set up.

MO

GT ZV LM

JK JW MB HR

AM ST

SA

or Monty Python’s “and now for something completely different”. Dinsssssdale!!!

• Like 1

Hmmm.

Cam Pring being sacrificed due to having to do the job of two players each week. Roberts will be equally exposed if we invert on the left again.

On the other flank, Mehmeti less likely to invert but will do so to a degree, so we could end up with a horribly clogged centre.

The only way I see this making sense with that team is in effect 4-1-2-2-1 - I.e 

Tanner - McNally - Vyner - Roberts

Williams

Bird-Knight

Mehmeti-Twine

Armstrong

Feels very “central” even as that but it’s the only kind of square peg logic I can get.

Just now, Davefevs said:

So is it just a simple:

MO

GT ZV LM HR

JW JK

AM MB ST

SA

MO

GT ZV LM

JK JW MB HR

AM ST

SA

As we’ve posted simultaneously and given three different permutations I’m not sure if that shows there are options or we’re mental!

• Haha 1

• Admin
1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

So is it just a simple:

MO

GT ZV LM HR

JW JK

AM MB ST

SA

MO

GT ZV LM

JK JW MB HR

AM ST

SA

Or 4321 with Bird back into CM and AM/ST as dual 10s again?

Just now, Silvio Dante said:

As we’ve posted simultaneously and given three different permutations I’m not sure if that shows there are options or we’re mental!

Whatever it is, our eleven are decent players. So no excuses. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jose said:

What the hell is that Midfield? Is Twine out wide still? Mehmeti on the right? The Williams and Knight combo can not keep the ball to the standard of how he wants to play. 

Does anyone know what that standard is?

9 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

I find that hard to believe, I mean despite his shortcomings Manning is a professional football manager and I just can't see him making selections based on haircuts. If he did then what's to stop all the players cutting their hair in a style that pleases the manager? I just don't think it's realistic. 

Almost like it was a skinhead scouser joke or something 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Overwork the ******…then drop him!!!

Cam 📞 “hi Danny…” 😝😝😝

Liam’s mum at the church parade “look at r Liam, he’s the only one marching in line”!

Honestly Dave he is tactically inept! How can 20K city fans see what needs to be done and he can’t. Clueless. I honestly don’t know if I can even muster cheering us on this PM, I’ve had it with Manning. He’s arrogant and doesn’t care 

• Like 2