IGNORED

Oxford United at home match thread

Jerseybean

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Overwork the ******…then drop him!!!

Cam 📞 “hi Danny…” 😝😝😝

Liam’s mum at the church parade “look at r Liam, he’s the only one marching in line”!

Pring will definitely be looking to move soon imo. 

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see the line-up. I have a feeling that Twine will start in the 10 though even though all the other three midfielders are in. I’d even be tempted to play Knight on the right of the three ie:

Williams Bird

Knight   Twine   Mehmeti

29 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I’m away and haven’t been paying much attention. Is Earthy still injured, despite playing the remainder of the game he got injured in?

Was looking forward to seeing him more than any of the new signings.

He was out there in the warm up with the rest of the team - then did some warm ups afterwards 

• Thanks 1

Huge difference to the previous two games as Oxford are not playing a three-man constant press which plays into Mannings tactics. The less pressure they apply the better we'll be able to move out from the back, be interesting to see if they change that up as that's what's been killing us the last couple of games.

Just now, mozo said:

Promising start

The reason for that is that Oxford is playing a man-to-man marking system with zonal pressuring which means we can play the ball around without being pressured off of it, against Derby and Blackburn we were up against a three-man rolling press where one player would press and the other two would cover close passing options, upon a pass the next three would step into the position and one would be pressuring the player as they received the pass constantly forcing us back and giving us no time to play the pass. 

This is what I've been saying about Mannings tactics, they work against this type of man-marking zonal press as you have time on the ball, however, it fails awfully against a well organised three man rolling press as we saw in our back to back three nil losses. My concern is I can see this, a coach I know who is still in the early stage of his badges can identify this when he was watching with me and a lot of everyday fans can identify this early into a game and yet he doesn't have a change of tactics when that effective pres is in place. This was an issue with Nigel Pearsons team when he joined us and so he changed it up, removed the 3 man formation because of the weaknesses it presented and set us up with the counter-attacking football because it meant we were not pressured out of a game when the opposition could press effectively. At this level of football, a lot more teams can play that effective press, this type of possession-passing play works at League One level because the quality of pressing is a lot lower but in the Championship you need a backup tactic ready for when the opposition comes out with that good press.

I still have major concerns with Manning, today we may get a result due to Oxford being unable to press effectively at this level which allows us to play our game, however, I expect more organised and well drilled teams to be able to press us out of our game.

• Like 1