IGNORED

Oxford United at home match thread

Jerseybean

Amazing, that. We play the right players in the right positions and look a lot better. That’s why I’ve always said this is a good squad held back by a poor manager.

We finally saw Twine more central and finally saw Yu play. Good!

God knows what he’s done to Fally’s confidence with the sub last week, but Nahki must be delighted to have got on and scored.

Still, took a penalty to get a win against Oxford at home who we scored 5 past when we played them last season. 🎉

• Like 1

That'll teach me. Put Oxford to win in my acca for insurance and they were the only ones to let me down😀.

Will take the win, well done City.

Still not convinced by Manning and this does not change my opinion of him or his capabilities. But this win will buy him more time. 

Edited by DSTAF
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Always enjoy a win - but let’s be honest, it was pretty poor again. 

Hardly come away from that thinking we have turned a corner 

Was rather hoping you had turned that corner, but never mind hopefully your weekend is not totally ruined.

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

What were the tactical changes?

I’d guess at Twine coming more central and Bird dropping deeper. Pretty much what we’ve all been crying out for.

1 minute ago, DSTAF said:

That'll teach me. Put Oxford to win in my acca for insurance and they were the only ones to let me down😀.

Will take the win, well done City.

Still not convinced by Manning and this does change my opinion of him or his capabilities. But this win will buy him more time. 

Two more weeks, I reckon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

Apart from their goal, we had a good half but missed the numerous chances we made. We could easily be a couple up, so the reaction on here is very disappointing. We should be recognising the good play - and their midfield certainly haven’t dominated. Look at the stats on possession and shots.

Leveller, your half time post wins the thread for me.

I thought that was a good performance against a tough team to beat.

We all want Twine in the middle, but besides that the changes today worked. Roberts was really dangerous on the left and Mehmeti did some good bits too.

We played good controlled football (proper Manningball) and I thought it was a travesty that we were 1-0 down. 

The subs all had an impact and finally we get Twine, who I thought was brilliant, in the 10.

The win was deserved, a big relief, and hopefully the start of a spiral upwards.

I think we can put to bed the narrative of the players disengaging with Manning too. 

3 points off the playoffs! Bring on Sunday.

• Like 1

Good result, should pick up at least 4 points against Wednesday and Cardiff.

Seen enough this year to know we’ll finish mid table, again. 

lot of huff and puff and upheaval for more or less the same.

1 minute ago, mozo said:

We all want Twine in the middle, but besides that the changes today worked. Roberts was really dangerous on the left and Mehmeti did some good bits too.

We played good controlled football (proper Manningball) and I thought it was a travesty that we were 1-0 down. 

The subs all had an impact and finally we get Twine, who I thought was brilliant, in the 10.

The win was deserved, a big relief, and hopefully the start of a spiral upwards.

I think we can put to bed the narrative of the players disengaging with Manning too. 

Thought they were crap and offered nothing with little idea.

• Like 1

Only made the 2nd half. But thought we were the better team & thoroughly enjoyed that. 

Yu is one hell of a player & needs to be starting games.

Chants of “Liam Mannings cider army” was a surprise & goes to show OTIB isn’t a true reflection of the fanbase.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Only made the 2nd half. But thought we were the better team & thoroughly enjoyed that. 

Chants of “Liam Mannings cider army” was a surprise & goes to show OTIB isn’t a true reflection of the fanbase.

The same people who booed them off at half time…..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

I find that hard to believe, I mean despite his shortcomings Manning is a professional football manager and I just can't see him making selections based on haircuts. If he did then what's to stop all the players cutting their hair in a style that pleases the manager? I just don't think it's realistic. 

Wow

10 minutes ago, mozo said:

Until he sorts us out defensively we’ll go week to week not having a clue how games will pan out. Everything you’ve written there is how we were WITH the ball. Without it we were terrible and opened up too easily. Harris misses an open goal at 1-0, that goes in and we could be looking for a new manager

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

Until he sorts us out defensively we’ll go week to week not having a clue how games will pan out. Everything you’ve written there is how we were WITH the ball. Without it we were terrible and opened up too easily. Harris misses an open goal at 1-0, that goes in and we could be looking for a new manager

I couldn't make it today so was watching Robins TV, and Rob Dickie said on co comms that they had been talking a lot in the week about how good Oxford were on the transition, and I think you could see that. Some of their passing on the breakaway was really crisp. 

But yeah, we still need to be better in both boxes this season for sure.

I couldn’t find a decent stream so missed today. Let’s hope it’s a corner turned and not just what I fear papering over the cracks. ( A dubious penalty, a missed open goal and their keeper should have done better) Sounds like second half was much improved though. Amazing what happens when you play players in their position. 

@mozo Did RD say anything about how is injury is going? 

1 minute ago, fly in the air said:

hopefully the penny has dropped. players in there rightful positions. it's not rocket science

I think there is a good team here, two things needed from the team that started the 2nd half, Earhy fit and playing an inside left (think he can do this and good balance with Yu as an ‘out and out’ wide man) and controversially in dropping Knight and giving McGuaine a chance as thinknhim and Bird would combo well.

27 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

The same people who booed them off at half time…..

It is difficult to keep up isn’t it.

‘Get behind OUR manager’.. ‘Liam Manning’s Cider Army’.. oh it’s 35 minutes in and we’re losing.. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Really difficult to keep up. Lucky I’m such a super fan I never booed. 

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Jose said:

I couldn’t find a decent stream so missed today. Let’s hope it’s a corner turned and not just what I fear papering over the cracks. ( A dubious penalty, a missed open goal and their keeper should have done better) Sounds like second half was much improved though. Amazing what happens when you play players in their position. 

Probably, but I missed that, sorry mate! 

Leroy Rosenior was very positive about the performance both at HT and FT.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

You could equally argue that had we taken any of our first half chances it would have been a different outcome. We’re not failing to create chances we are failing to take them. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SomeRandomBristolian said:

Thought Yu changed the game when he came on. 3 points in the bag and onto the next one. 

Yeah Roberts and Hirakawa have earned a start v Swansea. I think Mehmeti has too.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bristol City mad man said:

I think there is a good team here, two things needed from the team that started the 2nd half, Earhy fit and playing an inside left (think he can do this and good balance with Yu as an ‘out and out’ wide man) and controversially in dropping Knight and giving McGuaine a chance as thinknhim and Bird would combo well.

Agree with all your points, Knight has not looked that good in Central M/F, some nice turns and passes but all too easily bullied off the ball.

Edited by old_eastender

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Amazing, that. We play the right players in the right positions and look a lot better. That’s why I’ve always said this is a good squad held back by a poor manager.

We finally saw Twine more central and finally saw Yu play. Good!

God knows what he’s done to Fally’s confidence with the sub last week, but Nahki must be delighted to have got on and scored.

Still, took a penalty to get a win against Oxford at home who we scored 5 past when we played them last season. 🎉

If the penny has dropped, it could be a turning point. Could.

Interesting that LM got Nakhi on instead of Fally...goals for all the strikers helps and he is our main penalty taker, but that was a bit different.

Change of shape too at HT with Yu cor Williams..the substitutions were better and more proactive. 

I've criticised LM a lot, I'll praise him a bit this time.

Happy for him too given the flak from the Oxford fans.

29 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

You could equally argue that had we taken any of our first half chances it would have been a different outcome. We’re not failing to create chances we are failing to take them. 

Football has two parts to it. We did alright today when we had the ball and not so good when they had it. Seven games, no clean sheets. I’m happy with the three points but that’s a terrible stat that will only see us challenging at one end of the table if it isn’t sorted out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Is this lower league ref, mates with the Oxford players? Given them every decision 

I thought the ref was really good.  I’m sure he got the odd decision wrong, but he rightly gave yellows for every cynical tug and trip.

• Like 2

Incredibly frustrating for me , on so many levels.

Couldn't go but expected to be able to watch on my stream . Except it froze for 10 minutes, only offers the opposition coms because of how City have RobTV set up and is at least a full minute behind Radio Bristol . So listened to the last part of the first half while watching the best bits out of sync . Then the feed dies completely .
Managed to watch the last 10/15 as I arranged another feed , but by that time we we seeing the game out.

I hope they put the full 90 up and I will watch tomorrow. 

From the bit I listened to and bit I watched , surely he has to finally start Twine as the 10. Yu comes in for Mehmeti and Bird drops a little into MF. 
I can't wait until Dickie is fit too. 
Needed that win , tough game Sunday now though. 

1 hour ago, Jose said:

I'll be honest, I thought the penalty was a penalty at pitch side but haven't seen any film of it. The first goal for us was bad luck really but, yes, as a keeper you are disappointed it's gone in. Sinclair concentrated on a good connection and the keeper couldn't move his leg across in time, the ball hit his heel and went in. I do like the look of Armstrong, I think we've bought a lot better than a "3 in 60" striker who "can't even trap a ball" (how often do you see a player ******* trap a ball in 2024?) according to one absolute weapon on here.

I agree there was nothing clever or genius in tactics at half time. Liam simply did at 3:50pm what many might have done at 3:00pm - he might argue that was the best way to go and after a win there is no argument. Personally I would prefer to see the team that started the second half than the one that started the first.

Edited by Numero Uno
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

24,807 I think 

I can only imagine BBC added Oxford’s onto that too.  Double counting???

1 hour ago, Unan said:

image.thumb.png.c23565a2795a0a184167bc10fa5f417c.png

Got to say, I thought Oxford were very poor today.  I thought they had more about them than that.  Dembele cutting inside around the time they scored caused us a bit of trouble, but generally they were tepid.  No particularly noticeable patterns.  We squeezed the press / block onto Brown, who most of the time just lumped it forward.  Well done Knight playing in that 10 giving our press / block better structure and communication.

2 hours ago, Leveller said:

Apart from their goal, we had a good half but missed the numerous chances we made. We could easily be a couple up, so the reaction on here is very disappointing. We should be recognising the good play - and their midfield certainly haven’t dominated. Look at the stats on possession and shots.

Agree, no way we deserved to be down at h-t.  We played some good stuff,,opened them up pretty easily, just weren’t ruthless enough.  McEachran barely got on the ball.

Just now, cidercity1987 said:

Definitely not a pen was it

Fuming if that's given against us

Yeah it was, swiped Roberts’s legs with the ball gone.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

7 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'll be honest, I thought the penalty was a penalty at pitch side but haven't seen any film of it.

Just seen it and , not for me. How Roberts falls looks suspicious . But you put that directly against the Tanner one it has evened itself out, just not for Oxford.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Davefevs said:

I can only imagine BBC added Oxford’s onto that too.  Double counting???

Got to say, I thought Oxford were very poor today.  I thought they had more about them than that.  Dembele cutting inside around the time they scored caused us a bit of trouble, but generally they were tepid.  No particularly noticeable patterns.  We squeezed the press / block onto Brown, who most of the time just lumped it forward.  Well done Knight playing in that 10 giving our press / block better structure and communication.

Agree, no way we deserved to be down at h-t.  We played some good stuff,,opened them up pretty easily, just weren’t ruthless enough.  McEachran barely got on the ball.

Yeah it was, swiped Roberts’s legs with the ball gone.

Dave they are a team who finished 6th in the third tier, of course they are poor. Even Yeovil picked up a few wins in this league but got found out soon enough 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Just seen it and , not for me. How Roberts falls looks suspicious . But you put that directly against the Tanner one it has evened itself out, just not for Oxford.

Yu does look like he only knows one way to play doesn`t he? Gets the ball and his first thought is attack, it`s great to see.

Can certainly pick a pass too.

• Like 1

I only saw the last 20-25 minutes, and honestly, I've not seen much of our games this season. 

Yu was great. Generally quite liked the way we played, thought it was a fair penalty but Wells looked nervous as hell preparing to hit it.

If that period was all I'd seen, heard or, read about us this season I'd think we were half decent. But it's not. So I'm doubtful.

Just back, can’t be bothered to trail through the posts but wanna say, play Twine as a 10 n that’s what happened! And Robert’s, awesome, love Armstrong feel like everytime I see him everyone wants to kick the shit outta him!

• Like 1

Few reflections….

Sincs header should have been on target at least and Harris should have scored

Well taken penalty 

George, Haydon and Yu the standouts for me

Anis and Joe both below par and frustrating at times

Delighted to win, especially having gone behind (against the run of play) 

LM reflections, https://www.bcfc.co.uk/video/interviews/manning-on-three-points-against-oxford/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Football has two parts to it. We did alright today when we had the ball and not so good when they had it. Seven games, no clean sheets. I’m happy with the three points but that’s a terrible stat that will only see us challenging at one end of the table if it isn’t sorted out.

I agree, Not taking opportunities though does put added pressure on the defence.  Had we taken one or two of our early chances when we had all the possession today would have made defending much easier, conversely not taking them puts extra pressure on the defence. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barrs Court Red said:

Enjoyed that, Oxford fans can take their snakes back home, along with their crushed dreams. 

Didn’t see a single one, funnily enough. Neither did I hear any loud chants about manning. It’s almost as if they’re a vanilla club, with in no way a hostile fan base. 

• Like 1

I wasn’t able to go to the game today and am only just catching up with this thread. Very glad to get the win, especially coming back from conceding first (which we haven’t seemed to have done well under Manning), and three very welcome points. 

16 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Didn’t see a single one, funnily enough. Neither did I hear any loud chants about manning. It’s almost as if they’re a vanilla club, with in no way a hostile fan base. 

I saw a kid holding a deflated one of my way out the ground, such a shame they lost on their big day out.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jeez said:

Agree - this forum is just full of all the negative city fans. 

31 minutes ago, petehinton said:

They were very vocal before and after.

As for hostile it certainly was after the game!

No snakes though! 

Edited by One Team

4 minutes ago, One Team said:

They were very vocal before and after.

As for hostile is certainly was after the game!

No snakes though! 

Saw some scuffles on my way out and a bloke on the floor surrounded by police. Did any other trouble surface? 

33 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

I agree, Not taking opportunities though does put added pressure on the defence.  Had we taken one or two of our early chances when we had all the possession today would have made defending much easier, conversely not taking them puts extra pressure on the defence. 

A longstanding issue, that goes back well before Manning's time here. 

Psychologically, I am sure that failing to convert pressure/dominance into goals affects the players, as they start to expect the opposition to score against the run of play - a self-fulfilling prophesy in our case!