IGNORED

David Raya, greatest save ever???

This is the headline I have read a few times after his double save last night. However, I have a massive issue with this!

Decent penalty save at first, and done well to get up for the second, but it was a terrible follow up from the penalty taker. Literally had the whole of the right hand side of the goal to nod the ball into, yet headed back down the centre of the goal to the only place Raya would have been able to get back to. A bit like Watkins the other weekend.

Got me trying to find the Phillips double save vs Everton but couldn’t see it anywhere.

I was a bit underwhelmed by it but it think that’s because it has been so hyped in the media. It’s phenomenal goalkeeping but not in the best ever category for me. It’s not one you watch and think ‘how on earth has he got to that’. 

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I think anything to the right of the small Pepsi sign and it’s a goal. This is what makes it a bad miss in my book.

IMG_1138.jpeg

Agreed, absolutely dreadful miss.  Penalty save was decent, but the header was right back towards him, so not really that exceptional that he managed to get it.  Can’t believe it’s being described as the best save ever.  Might not even be Raya’s best save this season 😂😂😂

35 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This is the headline I have read a few times after his double save last night. However, I have a massive issue with this!

Decent penalty save at first, and done well to get up for the second, but it was a terrible follow up from the penalty taker. Literally had the whole of the right hand side of the goal to nod the ball into, yet headed back down the centre of the goal to the only place Raya would have been able to get back to. A bit like Watkins the other weekend.

Got me trying to find the Phillips double save vs Everton but couldn’t see it anywhere.

Here you go..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Flames 1

"Greatest save ever" may well be going some but it was a very, very good save. I can see why anyone who didn't see it until it was overhyped by the media feels slightly underwhelmed but, when I was watching the game, I thought it was fantastic. Of course the Atalanta player could have done more to put it beyond Raya's reach but he still did superbly to get to it. 

57 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

My favourite save was from Gordon Banks in the 1970 World Cup. Great header from Pele and the save was amazing.

But if Pele had headed it back where it had come from, into the other bottom corner it would have gone in. 

Average save (going by the OP's criteria)

Not the best ever for me, in my opinion that goes to seaman vs paul pesch in the FA cup. However this is brilliant, the poise and athleticism to split second work out where it’s going and react is fantastic. I think that’s often what’s lost on people with the benefit of watching in tv, when it’s right in front of you (what 8 yards!) its completely different 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

It always makes me laugh how people will find an angle to not praise a keeper!  

Very true. I agree he shouldn’t have been given the opportunity but it’s still great goalkeeping to make the second save. Not the best ever just top drawer goalkeeping.

Just now, Numero Uno said:

Very true. I agree he shouldn’t have been given the opportunity but it’s still great goalkeeping to make the second save. Not the best ever just top drawer goalkeeping.

Certainly not best ever, agreed.  It’s sounds know-it-all to say it but to critique keepers it does help to have played in goal for a proper team in my view.  Often it will be ‘great save’ when the shot is straight at the keeper and then ‘bad keeping’ when it’s not actually their fault.  Also shots can be deemed ‘unstoppable’ cos the keeper has got nowhere near it but he hasn’t got near it cos he hasn’t moved his feet properly…a common keeper error.  

• Thanks 1

I think the second save is average 
Made 1000s of times a training session 

My personal favourite,
Is this one

https://youtu.be/TFdCxi-3OcU?si=i6QgLzNKVDD4fdkp

Opposite view 
https://youtu.be/FUR1rkOVP9k?si=ym5nkWFBDMtdUvKT

Everyone forgets it because Columbia scored from the corner.
But as soon as I saw it was instant best save I've ever seen live

36 minutes ago, Super said:

Second save was fantastic first was easy

Good save, but not even a double, was it.?

I think people watching, who haven't tried it, fail to appreciate how difficult it is to make a save going one way, then save a follow up going the opposite way.

• Flames 1

1 hour ago, The turtle said:

I think the second save is average 
Made 1000s of times a training session 

My personal favourite,
Is this one

https://youtu.be/TFdCxi-3OcU?si=i6QgLzNKVDD4fdkp

Opposite view 
https://youtu.be/FUR1rkOVP9k?si=ym5nkWFBDMtdUvKT

Everyone forgets it because Columbia scored from the corner.
But as soon as I saw it was instant best save I've ever seen live

Not knocking Pickford as hes done well there but that's clearly going wide and cost us a goal

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yeah ........When you put it like that, it was bang average?  The way he sprang back up  in a split second after making the initial save......to parry away the header?  What a loser..eh?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Cus they don’t go hand in hand.

I thought it was a good double save, made easier by a terrible miss.

It’s not a “terrible miss” though. It was on target and forced the keeper to make an excellent save to keep it out, and would have been good enough to score on many other occasions. A terrible miss would be missing an easy chance to score without requiring the keeper to do anything at all. We’ve all seen those happen.

I agree with Corsham Ed that the Banks save was individually for me the best save of all time & will take some beating.

The Raya save(s) were in real time incredible, not so much the penalty which in itself was excellent but the follow up hade me in awe. For those that are critical about the header all I can say it was in both those involved instinctive. Easy to criticise the finish but when the ball is looping in the air anyone that has played the game will realise it’s not easy to get pace on the ball. He did everything right and kept the ball low, not perfectly in the corner but in the moment Raya was superb. You can only congratulate the keeper in that moment.

6 hours ago, Corsham Ed said:

My favourite save was from Gordon Banks in the 1970 World Cup. Great header from Pele and the save was amazing.

Couldn’t agree more.Saw it live on TV, I was 11. Unbelievable that Banks kept it out

Same game as -that Tackle by Moore against Pele.