IGNORED

Manning could be sacked - Peter O’Rourke

Shauntaylor85

hopefully even if its fake,it will give liam the kick up the arse he needs to think about things again. we know he can and will revert to counter attacking football if his necks on line.even if brian says 'dont worry,you are safe' it wont mean a jot ,liams brighter than him and knows it could be bs

• Like 4

I'd sack him before today's game but that's just me.

A close loss today and I don't think he'll be gone; lose heavily and embarrassingly then there's a chance. Especially if it turns into an Oxford party - with noise busting out the away end while we get dismantled. 

Lets hope for a win, but I'm gonna soften any potential pain a bit by placing a bet on an away win. 

• Like 8
  • Hmmm 1

A win and it's a pointless article. Especially if there is an okay performance too.

A draw and it's probably a pointless article especially if our performance is strong and mindset too.

A loss? Danger but again we could have 10 Shots on Target, 70% of the ball and make lots of running, but be undone by a deflection or poor refereeing call.

A loss or even draw with a soporific display, another error for the Opening Goal and a poor mindset then serious questions to be asked and the article gains traction.

• Like 1

I am afraid he's brought it all on himself. Today is a massive match for him. Its either a vindication that he's upwardly mobile and made the right decision or he's bullshitted a couple of idiots and is in way over his head.

I think I know which is the correct answer.

• Like 7

I know some on here want to sack everyone who's not Nigel Pearson but itvwould be utter stupidity to sack Manning now (but I don't rule it out with this board). We've had one and a half really bad performances in a season that's barely started and, having backed him in the transfer market, he has to be given sufficient time to show improvement. As usual, those who advocate sacking remain clueless and don't make sensible suggestions about who should replace him. Let's see where we are at Christmas, prior to the next transfer window. 

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

No, we’ve had nigh on 40 games of the same problems and patterns persisting. It’s not 2 games of bad football, it’s almost a year of the same stuff repeated.

We had rumours that he was under pressure before the international break towards the end of last season. We’re getting it again now.

Not many managers survive two periods of pressure in their first year on the job 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Even if Oxford don’t do for him, the upcoming run of fixtures will.

Unless of course your name is LJ. But who do you want to replace him? Please don't say Nigel Pearson as (a) it won't happen and (b) why would he want to come back here to work with JL. 

Just had a look at that Football Insider website. Just a heap of krap written in some six former’s bedroom. 
According to them, Leeds, Hull, Everton, City and Uncle Tom Cobbley are all going to sack their managers. No sh1t Sherlock. Spray enough bullets and some will hit the target. 

22 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I know some on here want to sack everyone who's not Nigel Pearson but itvwould be utter stupidity to sack Manning now (but I don't rule it out with this board). We've had one and a half really bad performances in a season that's barely started and, having backed him in the transfer market, he has to be given sufficient time to show improvement. As usual, those who advocate sacking remain clueless and don't make sensible suggestions about who should replace him. Let's see where we are at Christmas, prior to the next transfer window. 

Not just this season or those two game though is it?

Performance was pretty woeful against Coventry (cup) in spite of loads of possession. And Millwall was almost twice lost from being 2-0 up when Mayulu and Twine bailed out whatever he said at HT.

Add in some woeful performances last season like QPR, Stoke, Cardiff, Huddersfield, among others.

And the fact that the best matches we played were on the break when not in possession which is against Mannings current philosophy (Leciester, Southampton) where effectively it was NPs transition based approach in all but name.

Think we'll find out today how flexible Manning is.

I had patience when Pearson was under cosh as you could see the team trying different patterns, and him trying to change shape (such as the switch at 3atb which eventually worked), we're yet to see Manning really try anything other than plan A.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

No, we’ve had nigh on 40 games of the same problems and patterns persisting. It’s not 2 games of bad football, it’s almost a year of the same stuff repeated.

We had rumours that he was under pressure before the international break towards the end of last season. We’re getting it again now.

Not many managers survive two periods of pressure in their first year on the job 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

It is only a few games with a new midfield and forward line though.,, there was always a chance it would take a while to settle in, though i would appreciate us not being shite while it does.

3 minutes ago, stortfordred said:

Just had a look at that Football Insider website. Just a heap of krap written in some six former’s bedroom. 
According to them, Leeds, Hull, Everton, City and Uncle Tom Cobbley are all going to sack their managers. No sh1t Sherlock. Spray enough bullets and some will hit the target. 

Hull won last night so will be fine for now.

Cardiff another where the manager is at severe risk apparently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

28 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

I agree. The front foot football hasn’t materialised and we’re going backwards on so many levels 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Unless of course your name is LJ. But who do you want to replace him? Please don't say Nigel Pearson as (a) it won't happen and (b) why would he want to come back here to work with JL. 

Nige in to replace Bri…JL back to Bermuda. Get Schumacher or someone of Nige’s choosing to replace LM. Sorted 😉

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

I don’t think he’ll be with us next season- never have- and wouldn’t rule out early in the new year, if we’re lower mid table, but I can’t see SL/JL pulling the pin now. It’s not their style: they generally give managers time, not least, I think, because it feeds into ’we do things differently/ better than other chairman/ clubs’ vibe that they seem to love. Not to mention the fact that they hate conceding publicly that they were wrong.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

and they all lived happily after.

NO CHANCE.

You are deeply underestimating our Board.

They are not driven by simple ego and the emotional knee-jerk responses of System 1 thinking, instead they have the measured and considered decision making process of System 2 thinking as you would expect from the Board of any multi-million pound business.

No, I am confident that the Board is of the calibre and has the maturity such that it will review the evidence, accept that a mistake has been made in appointing a rookie neophyte, and re-appoint the most successful manager of recent years.

JMP_Queens_Park_Rangers_v_Bristol_City_R

System 1: Fast, automatic, frequent, emotional, stereotypic, unconscious.

System 2: Slow, effortful, infrequent, logical, calculating, conscious.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thinking,_Fast_and_Slow

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

I don’t think he’ll be with us next season- never have- and wouldn’t rule out early in the new year, if we’re lower mid table, but I can’t see SL/JL pulling the pin now. It’s not their style: they generally give managers time, not least, I think, because it feeds into ’we do things differently/ better than other chairman/ clubs’ vibe that they seem to love. Not to mention the fact that they hate conceding publicly that they were wrong.

If it does go badly today and maybe the next few games they would actually win a bit of credibility back if they held their hands up and admitted they got it wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

‘Let’s see where we are at Christmas’. By which time another season will effectively be over. He has had enough games now and still not sure what our identity is. Scattergun transfer dealings in the summer has all added to the enigma of what his playing style/formation is i.e. wingers and number 10s brought in. No senior goalkeeping backup. Sorry, but I haven’t seen any progress made, and things seem to be regressing in terms of our now porous defence and players going backwards. 

• Like 7
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

‘Let’s see where we are at Christmas’. By which time another season will effectively be over. He has had enough games now and still not sure what our identity is. Scattergun transfer dealings in the summer has all added to the enigma of what his playing style/formation is i.e. wingers and number 10s brought in. No senior goalkeeping backup. Sorry, but I haven’t seen any progress made, and things seem to be regressing in terms of our now porous defence and players going backwards. 

Didn’t wait til Xmas last season did they!!!

Suspect they like this bloke more though!

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Didn’t wait til Xmas last season did they!!!

Suspect they like this bloke more though!

JL and BT love this bloke, but it would be ironic if Manning were to bite the bullet after defeat to Cardiff in a few weeks. 

For what it’s worth I don’t think JL or BT have the humility to admit they got it badly wrong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

It is only a few games with a new midfield and forward line though.,, there was always a chance it would take a while to settle in, though i would appreciate us not being shite while it does.

How is it a new midfield ? Only Bird wasn't here last season.

54 minutes ago, Bedred31 said:

Nonsense. They don't give recent man agers time. Holden had 8/9 months. NP clearly needed more time to fully implement the forward trajectory.

6 minutes ago, tin said:

JL and BT love this bloke, but it would be ironic if Manning were to bite the bullet after defeat to Cardiff in a few weeks. 

For what it’s worth I don’t think JL or BT have the humility to admit they got it badly wrong. 

i think it will take a lot longer for them to realise it before shitting themselves thinking how are they going to admit to it

14 minutes ago, Cidre Monita said:

I keep seeing/reading this Christmas benchmark, as if there’s certainly not been a very clear ‘we need to be in amongst it all season’ type objective given to him at the start of the season. I don’t think they’ll be as lenient as they were with LJ, not least because of the relationship between him & the ownership, as well as SL’s ‘I’m not getting any younger’ comments. 

1 hour ago, Red Cloud said:

I think he'll get longer than most purely because of the way he was bigged up by JL - even if we get porked today, I'd be surprised if he was sacked

I agree with this, sacking him after backing him hugely with transfers would only further embarrass JL who has such a huge ego that he thinks he's a designer despite coming up with designs that completely nods his target audience. 

He'll fight to keep Manning until the fans have turned completely. At the moment Manning still has some fans fooled into thinking he knows what he's doing tactically but that only lasts so long when you're tactically out of your depth. 

Honestly, I like some of his coaching qualities but he's massively lacking in his defensive coaching and his tactical proactive side. 

I think the earliest we'll see him go is early November and that's only if the results are still very poor. 

9 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

i think it will take a lot longer for them to realise it before shitting themselves thinking how are they going to admit to it

Depends if/when SL barks at them about the situation, really. 

8 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Let us hope it is something we don't even have to think about come 5pm. A 3-0 City win, Oxford fans trooping home by 70 mins and City's football akin to the Dutch team of the 70s. 😬

Prefer it to look more like the Brazilians in the 70s.  Fat chance of that though as attacking football is not on the menu even when we are 2-0 down.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

If LM is sacked, do we really have faith in the Lansdowns, Tinnion (who should be out alongside him, but won’t be) bringing in someone competent, and suitable for the job? No, me neither.

It depends upon how receptive they are to advice this time.

GJ, Cotts and Nigel were all excellent managerial appointments made under the Lansdowns' ownership.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

it will give liam the kick up the arse he needs to think about things again.

A "kick up the arse" is given to somebody who's capable but lazy, not to somebody who's out of their depth in the first place.

The blame doesn't lie with LM, it's lies with SL/JL/BT.

• Like 1

There is a wider issue here, the club clearly only want a coach, an up and coming coach to manage the players they identify as good Bristol Ciry people, they negotiate the contracts, ones that fit in with their perceived framework. There is a bit of licence here with the coach suggestions. But who will take us to that next level?

To take us to that next level requires courage in your convictions, the ability to motivate and stamp your authority & be able to inspire all around you. 

That's the problem for the board, because the next coach will be just like a Manning.

26 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

Also, no one wants Pearson back! That ship has sailed. But there’s far better managers than LM out there!

Not saying there isn’t but who do you have in mind when you say ‘better managers’

19 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

If LM is sacked, do we really have faith in the Lansdowns, Tinnion (who should be out alongside him, but won’t be) bringing in someone competent, and suitable for the job? No, me neither.

Unfortunately no ....probably give Scott Murray a go...and I'm only half joking 😒 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

He's had a season almost, and the luxury of pre-season sandwiched in to get his ideas across. I don't see any change; I see regression. Its not working and a win today wont change that.

He's not a leader, he's not inspiring, he's had no success, he's tactically atrocious and easily outwitted.

Can you imagine his motivational speech before a game? Or at half-time? I've read that he like to let the players sort things out or lead the discussion at half time; novel approach but clearly one that is not working. And I think further speaks to his inadequacies; he's passing the buck because he's not got it in him. He has imposter syndrome. 

His sacking is inevitable (admittedly the majority of managers will be sacked at some point), so lets get rid while there still a decent portion of the season to go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Swede said:

There is a wider issue here, the club clearly only want a coach, an up and coming coach to manage the players they identify as good Bristol Ciry people, they negotiate the contracts, ones that fit in with their perceived framework. There is a bit of licence here with the coach suggestions. But who will take us to that next level?

To take us to that next level requires courage in your convictions, the ability to motivate and stamp your authority & be able to inspire all around you. 

That's the problem for the board, because the next coach will be just like a Manning.

I fundamentally agree with your rationale! For whatever reason those at the top want a coach not a manager. The consequence of that is often an over coached team with limited grit. 

My personal opinion is managers will tell you wassup and are not easy to ignore. Can you imagine NP being a shrinking violet. A coaching position is a little more tenuous and is much more dependent on those above him in the food chain

I see more and more posts talking about NP and the shocking decision to relieve him of his duties. 

My tuppence is, even if the family think mmmm we may have ballsed this up, there would be no way Nigel would comeback from his holidays without complete control of first team affairs. That would mean adios to Brian and alteration to the management structure. Blimey Mrs SL would be a safer pair of hands than what we are treated to. 

• Like 2

If he did get sacked ( which I doubt ) I would personally go with a rather large package to David Moyes ( manager ) & Rob Newman ( ceo ) , not a lot out there , I believe with the right manager / coaching this squad would make the play offs 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I fundamentally agree with your rationale! For whatever reason those at the top want a coach not a manager. The consequence of that is often an over coached team with limited grit. 

My personal opinion is managers will tell you wassup and are not easy to ignore. Can you imagine NP being a shrinking violet. A coaching position is a little more tenuous and is much more dependent on those above him in the food chain

I see more and more posts talking about NP and the shocking decision to relieve him of his duties. 

My tuppence is, even if the family think mmmm we may have ballsed this up, there would be no way Nigel would comeback from his holidays without complete control of first team affairs. That would mean adios to Brian and alteration to the management structure. Blimey Mrs SL would be a safer pair of hands than what we are treated to. 

I think the NP ship has sailed but here's the thing, to others in the wider football community like other coaches/managers, their agents do they view a potential job offer at Bristol City as a bit of a poisoned chalice? We must've blotted our copybook more in the manner of the way he was got rid of. Will that put people off?

1 minute ago, Swede said:

I think the NP ship has sailed but here's the thing, to others in the wider football community like other coaches/managers, their agents do they view a potential job offer at Bristol City as a bit of a poisoned chalice? We must've blotted our copybook more in the manner of the way he was got rid of. Will that put people off?

I think there is much in what you say. We look like a club that will never be promoted, so it's stagnate or get relegated. Not an enticing position to any coach/manager with any ambition.

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Unless things go rapidly downhill I think he's safe until Christmas, if we're in the bottom 3 then he could be in trouble but I think things will improve once he's found his best eleven.

Might need to find his best formation first. He only had all summer to fine tune it. Why does he need another 3 months ?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Absolutely this. We are a club that needs an experienced manager not a young head coach. Years of experience have shown us that.

I agree deffo experienced manager - moysey for me 

bet West Ham fans are regretting hounding him out as we speak 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Swede said:

The short answer is yes. 

City have been referred to as a basket case club more times than I can remember over the last 25 years. The issue is the main players in that basket case mess are the constant! 

We lurch between coaches without pedigree spending money on players we can’t afford and the sensible ones who have to come in and tidy up the mess. 

At some point the mess will need to be cleared up again and we know who has the best track record of that! 

Edited by REDOXO

Don’t like the XI but sounds like he needs it to work! I’m not sure O’Rourke is right, I just hope after a nice 3-0 win today it’s a non-story. Really disappointing start to the season but I’m not sure I’d be hitting the panic button yet.

• Like 1