IGNORED

Big Match Revisited: Coventry then and now ...

On ITV 4 right now. Cov at Anfield. On a Saturday. Cov's away following, or lack of, has to be seen to be believed. Great away following nowadays, but back then, rather different.  You're talking a Div 3 midweek away following at AG in the 80s, for someone like York or Darlington. Mind, they did have Gerry Francis in midfield, Cov.

It is perhaps a reminder that being in the one division for so many years, neither going up, or down, isn't always going to keep punters interested. It's not enough, just to "take part."

Cov though, back then: I know we didn't take many there, but crikey ....

3 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

On ITV 4 right now. Cov at Anfield. On a Saturday. Cov's away following, or lack of, has to be seen to be believed. Great away following nowadays, but back then, rather different.  You're talking a Div 3 midweek away following at AG in the 80s, for someone like York or Darlington. Mind, they did have Gerry Francis in midfield, Cov.

It is perhaps a reminder that being in the one division for so many years, neither going up, or down, isn't always going to keep punters interested. It's not enough, just to "take part."

Cov though, back then: I know we didn't take many there, but crikey ....

Part of the 1980s was a very economically dark time for football, attendances fell drastically for a range of reasons.

How early into the 1980s? Or late.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Part of the 1980s was a very economically dark time for football, attendances fell drastically for a range of reasons.

How early into the 1980s? Or late.

Looking at it, I think it must've been before the M6 and maybe the motorway network was built, mate. Or Thatcher had banned away support, or something 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Looking at it, I think it must've been before the M6 and maybe the motorway network was built, mate. Or Thatcher had banned away support, or something 

Saw a picture online, Wigan v Newport mod 1980s..solitary away fans. It became genuinely grim at times.

I know there was also some undercounting but the game had some significant issues and this impacted upon attendance.

Travelling away in the 80's was a different ballgame compared to now...no such thing as designated away pubs, hooliganism was rife and anyone was a target at lots of places, especially following City as we had quite a reputation in those days. I can remember it being quite tricky at places like Wigan, Stockport, Oldham, Lincoln etc.

• Like 1