IGNORED

120 Seconds That Change The Season?

Silvio Dante

22 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

120 seconds that delay the inevitable for another month.

Of course the three misses from Mehmeti and two from Armstrong could have presented you with other time headline options...had they been on target/well hit!

1 minute ago, adamski said:

Of course the three misses from Mehmeti and two from Armstrong could have presented you with other time headline options...had they been on target/well hit!

To be fair, they were what you’d call “chances” and not sitters. I was disappointed SA didn’t at least get his header on target first half but the Anis shots were fairly comfortable. 

Harris could and should have scored. I’d say he’ll be kicking himself but after that I’m not confident he’d connect. The juxtaposition between such a bad miss that would have made it 2-0 and SAs goal to bring it back level seemed a bit of a sliding doors moment that we need to capitalise on moving forward.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

IMG_4074.jpeg

I mentioned this to someone earlier, the BBC live reporting must be done on some software with only a few options. I mean it describes Harris's miss, but it really doesn't do it justice does it? 

@Mr Popodopolous must be happy tonight after the stick he got on their forum for describing Harris as "an average League 1 player". :)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

Yet people can’t moan when it’s square pegs in round holes every game? 

Absolutely, but when round pegs go in round holes, as in the second half, you have to give credit.

52 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Can’t give him credit for keeping on picking him though!

Of course not, the next team selection will be telling.

56 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Can’t give him credit for keeping on picking him though!

Finally, after weeks of every man and his dog calling for Bird/ Knight deep and Twine central he eventually did it. Surprise surprise it worked. How much does he get paid to not be able to see what is obvious to pretty much every fan in the ground??

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Finally, after weeks of every man and his dog calling for Bird/ Knight deep and Twine central

Did you hear Manning on RB - he implied Twine was central with the ball in the first half ? 
The implication was he didn’t change his position in the second half!

Perhaps I’m clutching at straws but how bad were Southampton at the start of last season , didn’t do too bad in the end did they , just hoping 

1 hour ago, robin_unreliant said:

Finally, after weeks of every man and his dog calling for Bird/ Knight deep and Twine central he eventually did it. Surprise surprise it worked. How much does he get paid to not be able to see what is obvious to pretty much every fan in the ground??

It is worrying that fans are seeing the problems on the pitch before he does 

2 hours ago, Super said:

Really was an incredible miss

Also a blatant foul on Knight in the build up.

I can understand the ref thinking he was trying to buy a free kick if it was Twine, because he does it all the time, but it was a clear infringement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Did you hear Manning on RB - he implied Twine was central with the ball in the first half ? 

He wasn’t being honest with Ali Durden, us fans, but importantly himself with that answer.

I appreciate he sees a more sophisticated structured system (albeit it in a simple way) to us mere mortals, but even if we accept Liam might still say Twine was a no10 first half, it wasn’t the same no10 position second half.  Either that or Jason Knight was playing totally out of position and disobeying instructions!  Which he wasn’t, unless he forgot he’s subbed off Joe Williams.

It frustrates me (it shouldn’t do, but it does) that he needs to do that in his post match interview.  It’s not a weakness to say you changed it.  If he wants he can spin it too with something like - “I spotted a little weakness in Oxford’s structure that suited Twine’s ability on the ball as the main 10 rather than Jason’s”, adding “we were pretty good first half, but it was that subtlety we needed”, blah, blah.  None of us are gonna be any wiser, but instead he tried to make Ali Durden look stupid.

He did the same with James Piercy after Preston (a) last season.

• Like 7
  • Flames 2

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He wasn’t being honest with Ali Durden, us fans, but importantly himself with that answer.

I appreciate he sees a more sophisticated structured system (albeit it in a simple way) to us mere mortals, but even if we accept Liam might still say Twine was a no10 first half, it wasn’t the same no10 position second half.  Either that or Jason Knight was playing totally out of position and disobeying instructions!  Which he wasn’t, unless he forgot he’s subbed off Joe Williams.

It frustrates me (it shouldn’t do, but it does) that he needs to do that in his post match interview.  It’s not a weakness to say you changed it.  If he wants he can spin it too with something like - “I spotted a little weakness in Oxford’s structure that suited Twine’s ability on the ball as the main 10 rather than Jason’s”, adding “we were pretty good first half, but it was that subtlety we needed”, blah, blah.  None of us are gonna be any wiser, but instead he tried to make Ali Durden look stupid.

100%. 

It really bugs me. He’s bluffed it basically. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do agree with you here, Dave. I guess his logic would be he is protecting the player in some way. 

I think it's probably a wider issue in modern society that people in positions of power are told to double down instead of taking any culpability. Frustrating!

Accepting your mistakes and failings are a sign of strength, not weakness. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I do agree with you here, Dave. I guess his logic would be he is protecting the player in some way. 

I think it's probably a wider issue in modern society that people in positions of power are told to double down instead of taking any culpability. Frustrating!

Accepting your mistakes and failings are a sign of strength, not weakness. 

Could’ve even used Joe Williams’s yellow card as a reason, couldn’t he?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

People were also saying Twine left and Bird as the advanced midfield after the Millwall game. 

He's been picking what people said they wanted after that game.

35 minutes ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

People were also saying Twine left and Bird as the advanced midfield after the Millwall game. 

if he's responding to what fans want, that's not exactly awe inspiring. He's getting paid to know that shit without our expert input

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I switched off the radio at that point. Could not believe what I heard and was pointless listening to anything after that because it was obviously bullshit and bluster after hearing that.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Yup, and as I said to you it creates an unnecessary issue.

He spotted it was wrong - we spotted it was wrong. Take the win. You’ve seen the issue and resolved it (and he did). Bingo. We’ve all seen it, we all saw what you did. And importantly, you did the right thing. To then pretend it wasn’t wrong to start with is frankly bizarre and actually undermines the good work you did.

Why is he like this?!?!!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I made a very similar point on another forum. Why not just admit he’d changed the shape, not try and imply he hadn’t. We could all see he had, we aren’t stupid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Severn Beach Pigeon said:

I bloody didn’t!  Good player, just a midfielder imho.

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I bloody didn’t!  Good player, just a midfielder imho.

Bird did well as a 10 against Millwall, you could argue Bird had “won” the shirt, I could see that logic, but quickly it became apparent it was a mistake.

To carry on with it, with all the obvious tactical problems was madness. Then today at half time when he changed the shape to one which we’ve all been calling for ever since, to then to try to suggest he didn’t, just made him look silly. 

36 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Changing the shape, recognising a possible flaw and rectifying it relatively early is good Game Management.

Seems stupid and I haven't yet listened to post match, that he would seek to obscure it!

It's a strength, within certain limits and caveats of course but it is a strength if anything.

What he actually said was that Twine prefers to move in from a wide position rather than stay in the centre. Whether that is true, I don’t know, but people seem to be ignoring that comment.

4 minutes ago, Ashtongreight said:

Bird did well as a 10 against Millwall, you could argue Bird had “won” the shirt, I could see that logic, but quickly it became apparent it was a mistake.

That was my reading too; Bird did well in both the Millwall & Cov games, so I can understand why he kept it for Derby. However having not worked at all at Derby or Blackburn, I was surprised he didn't change it today.

Hopefully today will be the turning point. Having said that Williams must be close to a suspension anyway (not that I am anti him at all).