IGNORED

Self service drinks

bs22 red

8 minutes ago, bs22 red said:

On trial in the Dolman today. Hopefully here to stay. No queuing at half time for a pint 

Screenshot_20240921_205338_Gallery.jpg

Still remember the vending machine at College.  18p for a drink.  It was 1986-88.  Put a 1p in and reject it 17 times, finally use the 1p on the 18th attempt.  Voila, drink came out.

Quite a big queue once others had sussed it!

Edited by Davefevs
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I do wonder how on earth they are verifying the age of people buying, you just pay with contactless, seriously dodgy ground for whoever has the license as there’s no one checking . 

When I've used these at events at the Excel in London, they normally have a couple of members of staff overseeing things - checking people pass the visual age check, refilling the cups etc.

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

When I've used these at events at the Excel in London, they normally have a couple of members of staff overseeing things - checking people pass the visual age check, refilling the cups etc.

I might not of been watching it long enough, but do you get a cup from someone or does it come out the machine?

Maybe that’s the part I missed 

Scrap that I’ve just seen the pics they are next to the machines. There was absolutely no one stood around checking etc. 

Edited by Wedontplayinblue

1 hour ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I might not of been watching it long enough, but do you get a cup from someone or does it come out the machine?

Maybe that’s the part I missed 

Scrap that I’ve just seen the pics they are next to the machines. There was absolutely no one stood around checking etc. 

I definitely saw a guy there who was supervising the machines.

Didnt look like the usual Bristol Sport staff so I’m guessing he was from the company that own the machines 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wedontplayinblue said:

I do wonder how on earth they are verifying the age of people buying, you just pay with contactless, seriously dodgy ground for whoever has the license as there’s no one checking . 

What stops a 20 year old buy 2 pints in a pub and giving one to a 17 year old ?

1 hour ago, Topper 123 said:

The price 🙈

very rarely drink out nowadays unless there’s food involved , got a nice garden ( with cover for when it rains ) so tend to drink at home or save monies for holidays .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

A 20 year old can buy 20 cans of cider in Tesco, go outside and give 10 cans to a lad of 16 or younger. 

Impossible to police, wherever alcohol is sold.

8 minutes ago, Barrs Court Red said:

So are the prices cheaper as there’s less overheads? 

No, otherwise everyone would go to the self serve machines and you’d have queues there and nobody using the kiosks.

Seems like it’s just a way to cut waiting time.

I think someone earlier in the thread said you don’t get your season ticket discount at the self serve.

• Admin

I walked past them about 2:50, there was a chap with two of the machines opened seemingly repairing them, whilst nobody was using the other machines

I couldn't see anywhere that indicated any discount being applied 

Remember we had a trial of similar machines a couple of season ago, they didn't last too long so hopefully these are fit for purpose 

This isn't a reflection on the club or even football.

When technological innovations that save on overheads are introduced, especially after the initial cost- are the savings typically passed on to consumers?

Do Self-service machines in Supermarkets offer a discount? They do not 

I would suggest not. Maybe will be the same, maybe it won't.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

When technological innovations that save on overheads are introduced, especially after the initial cost- are the savings typically passed on to consumers?

Of course self service machines in supermarkets offer a discount.

You can scan your loyalty cards and also scan vouchers at supermarkets, they are set up to do exactly that.

These self service machine which are more than likely rented from a company will not have the ability to allow season ticket holders to get the discount.

If the club purchased their own machines then they could definitely be programmed to provide the season ticket discount.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Back of the Dolman said:

if the club purchased their own machines then they could definitely be programmed to provide the season ticket discount.

Well, yes.. providing the company who provides the machines are happy to add or change the programming to allow that facility. 

Otherwise you’d have to purchase the coding from the company at what must be a very silly price and get someone else to change the software. 

Or buy a machine without any software and have someone write a whole new program. 

Seems like an easier option to allow a company to come in and use what they have already put in place. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, wurzelali said:

Well, yes.. providing the company who provides the machines are happy to add or change the programming to allow that facility. 

Otherwise you’d have to purchase the coding from the company at what must be a very silly price and get someone else to change the software. 

Or buy a machine without any software and have someone write a whole new program. 

Seems like an easier option to allow a company to come in and use what they have already put in place. 

I will bow to your greater knowledge on the cost of it all, I was just saying it would be possible which you appear to confirm.

Personally doesn’t affect me a I don’t drink at football, I’ve got to the age that a couple of pints would mean I miss most of the game going backwards and forwards to the loo 😂.

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The “saving” stores have on self serve tills isn’t necessarily always as much as you think. Supermarkets initially made a decision that the increased losses they expect from shoplifting (either not scanning or scanning a cheaper item) were acceptable on the basis of getting customers through the store quicker. 

A few chains have made the decision to put the manned tills back in not through a customer service experience, but because a lot of people were taking the piss and they had more losses (or “shrinkage”) than envisaged on scan as you shop/self serve.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Topper 123 said:

If it's with food (plated with knife & fork) then that is not illegal.

Most pubs won't allow it as a matter of policy - but it's allowed, legally (or certainly always used to be, unless the licensing laws have changed since I did mine)

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The 'saving' to the customer is time. Aside from the odd rescan, it's much quicker paying and getting out of the shop. A shopper with a full trolley will take the same time to pay as someone with less items.

1 hour ago, Laner said:

The 'saving' to the customer is time. Aside from the odd rescan, it's much quicker paying and getting out of the shop. A shopper with a full trolley will take the same time to pay as someone with less items.

Yeah but people pack their own shopping, possibly less staff although this can vary.

I agree on the time thing and do it myself for small items or a few things put through quickly..

9 minutes ago, Bernard Lerring said:

They need these machines up the top of the lansdown stand.

Queuing for the whole of half time seems to be inevitable, which probably puts a fair few beleaguered parents off bothering with a much needed pint

I’m not sure of the optics (no pun intended, but I’ll take it) of putting self service drinks machines in the family area….

On 21/09/2024 at 21:38, Davefevs said:

Still remember the vending machine at College.  18p for a drink.  It was 1986-88.  Put a 1p in and reject it 17 times, finally use the 1p on the 18th attempt.  Voila, drink came out.

Quite a big queue once others had sussed it!

We always used to try to spin the rejects in. I don't think it helped much.

My first loves were the vending machines at Bristol South Baths. I used to get hot chocolate from the drinks machine. I reckon it was 5p, maybe 10p max in the late 70's.

3 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Queuing for the whole of half time seems to be inevitable, which probably puts a fair few beleaguered parents off bothering with a much needed pint

The club are selling out of most things every home game anyway, which is annoying as they won’t realise there’s a problem. 

Slightly disappointed by them, to be honest. I’ve seen the queue busting machines in use at the Tottenham Stadium on the tv- 4 pints fill simultaneously from the bottom in about a second- and rather hoped such a design/ engineering miracle would find its way to the Gate.

15 hours ago, Bernard Lerring said:

Don’t fancy climbing up onto the roof.

Would probably be prohibited by health and safety regulations.