IGNORED

Mascot Experience

The Masked Man

My lad was a mascot at yesterday's game and we had a great day. Would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Had a stadium tour before the game, got to walk around the ground, lunch and then the kids got to go and take selfies with all the players and get their signatures. Not the cheapest day out at £275 but when you add it all up I think that's not a bad deal. Credit to the club, they do their bit to keep prices reasonable for the kids. 

• Like 4

How much did it used to cost, Mascot packages?

Not having a dig I just wondered how it has changed over 2, 3 decades or longer.. football in general.

I also appreciate inflation in the wider economy and we have often been good with deals and prices for younger fans tbh, I can praise the club there.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not having a dig I just wondered how it has changed over 2, 3 decades or longer.. football in general.

I also appreciate inflation in the wider economy and we have often been good with deals and prices for younger fans tbh, I can praise the club there.

My daughter and her friend were mascots for their 11th birthdays in 2003 (City 1 Luton 1, an early Joe Burnell goal that we missed because the girls were still getting out of their City kits under the Williams stand).  We did the ground tour beforehand and the girls and their dads were in the City dressing room from about 2.15 as the players got ready for the game. We had a table for 8 in hospitality so that mums and siblings could join in - and the whole thing cost about £800. 

We had a great day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Treated my grandson for wigan (2/2) reece james worldie, game April 2019, just after his 5th BD. 3 adult tickets in Lansdown , padded seats, plus mascot seat of course, tour, buffet, kids in changing rooms and pitch walk out. Was £200 then and I still reckon it's amongst the best money I've spent. 

4 hours ago, grubby said:

Treated my grandson for wigan (2/2) reece james worldie, game April 2019, just after his 5th BD. 3 adult tickets in Lansdown , padded seats, plus mascot seat of course, tour, buffet, kids in changing rooms and pitch walk out. Was £200 then and I still reckon it's amongst the best money I've spent. 

Yep, similar. My son was mascot on the Rotherham game in Dec 2018 where we won 1-0. £200 but that included all the above, and although his grandparents/mum had the above seats as I had a ST elsewhere in the ground they let me tag along for the tour etc.

Should note that in addition to the cost (which if you assume you’d spend £100 minimum on the seats without the mascot experience), the mascots do have to buy/provide own kit so people should bear the cost of that in mind but it’s still a good deal overall.

4 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Not knocking anyone that has done it  but for me, this should be free. The club don't need an extra couple of hundred quid 23 times a season it prices many out.

But glad you're lad enjoyed it.

I've done it for my son & it was a fantastic day - worth every penny.

It was free back in my day, through the Junior Reds - but then it was complete pot luck if you ever got the chance. It didn't include guest tickets or hospitality, like it does now.

I do think that 1 mascot place per game should be given away for free to a deserving cause, but I couldn't fault the experience, the memories or the value that we got for the package price & what it now includes.

Fantastic day & would highly recommend it to anyone considering it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

Not knocking anyone that has done it  but for me, this should be free. The club don't need an extra couple of hundred quid 23 times a season it prices many out.

But glad you're lad enjoyed it.

Have you seen how many mascots they have for each game ?

They must make a lot more than a couple of hundred quid.

Just now, TDarwall said:

Fair point, but they don't "really" need the money do they.

It’s another money spinner for them isn’t it, get every penny you can out of the fans.

Great experience for the kids and parents from what people have written  though.

So if it’s an experience that the children never forget it’s probably quite cheap at that price.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I can only assume that you are joking....?!

Are you not aware that we are losing around £20million a year.?!

I'm not.

Whatever they raise through making this a commercial exercise is a tear in a salty sea. I'd rather they had a ballot so it was open to all kids even if they came from a v deprived background.  If that meant we'd have to have 1 less centreback in the squad, I'd be cool with that. 😀

• Like 5

In the old days, when it was free, I only ever remember seeing one mascot. It seems a pity now to make it a commercial thing, but I suppose it gives more kids the opportunity  - though only if the family can afford it. I’d rather the experience was free with charges being optional for one or more adults’ seats and food. What if only one parent can make it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

I'm not.

Whatever they raise through making this a commercial exercise is a tear in a salty sea. I'd rather they had a ballot so it was open to all kids even if they came from a v deprived background.  If that meant we'd have to have 1 less centreback in the squad, I'd be cool with that. 😀

I agree that it would be good to have 1 place per match made available on a ballot to someone who couldn't afford it.

Otherwise, it's definitely not over priced for the experience you get.

The hospitality was excellent, the tour was for the whole group & whilst they all then went to the Lansdown suite for excellent food & the pre-match hospitality, the mascot want down to the dressing room to meet all the players, get photos & autographs.

Memories that will last a lifetime & if I remember rightly it was the mascot plus 6 guests for the £275 and any additional guests could be added for £50 a head.

Excellent value, delivered really well, for a very special day for any youngster.

I'd have done it again this season bit we already have other birthday plans for him.

I may consider just doing it again anyway as it was such a good day. 

As for a small indent into the financial losses we make as a club - yes, but these all add up & are vital revenue streams.

Of all the things you can spend money on at a match day - I'd say the mascot package is the best value & most memorable experience I've done there & really is worth doing.

• Like 3

As some of you will’ve seen, my Joe was mascot for Swindon in 14/15 game (what a game).  No meal or anything like that, but think it cost about £150 (no kit, borrowed), got a few tickets thrown in (we had our season tickets).

Was great, well looked after.

Still think it shouldn’t cost so much, but I bet they’d get no-shows if it was just a ballot.

• Like 2

My 3 lads did it years ago, they were the only 3 on the day, it was an absolute cracking day. Meal, tour, cole skuse took them in the changing rooms, they presented Steve Brooker the mom award after and city threw in a kit for all of them!

They did me a deal at the time as it was a last minute thing between Christmas and new year and we were travelling back from France for it! £200 for all three, plus me and the Mrs for the meal!

As I said it was about 23 years ago!

10 hours ago, The Masked Man said:

My lad was a mascot at yesterday's game and we had a great day. Would recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. Had a stadium tour before the game, got to walk around the ground, lunch and then the kids got to go and take selfies with all the players and get their signatures. Not the cheapest day out at £275 but when you add it all up I think that's not a bad deal. Credit to the club, they do their bit to keep prices reasonable for the kids. 

X2 for my two that want to do it! 🙄😂

But you obvs would recommend it so i’ll have to hand some more cash to the trust fund it would seem!!

9 minutes ago, mattjb said:

My daughter did the mascot day for her birthday a couple of years ago, yes it’s not cheap but worth every penny for a memory that will last a lifetime. It was really well organised and I would definitely recommend it 

On the back of your recommendation, I’m going to book my son in for mascot duty. He’s 31 and 6’5” but it’ll be worth it to see him walk out of the tunnel, hand-in-hand with Jason Knight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

My daughter was a Mascot for the Coventry game a few weeks ago!
As said by others, absolutely brilliant day, she said afterwards “Dad, that was the best day of my life”. Perhaps a slight overreaction in the heat of the moment, but those childhood memories are priceless.
I also attended with my two 8yo twin boys. £275 for all four of us I thought it was excellent value, especially as hospitality & match day tickets were included.
It was really well organised & the staff that did the tour were really accommodating, friendly & helpful.

Obviously the mascot needs to purchase the full new home kit to participate. I always get the kids the shirts anyway, but I still can’t get over how Championship clubs (or any for that matter) can charge £37 for youth shorts & socks!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Anyway, 10/10 from me. My boys seem keen so might be doing it again soon 🫣😄

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

On the back of your recommendation, I’m going to book my son in for mascot duty. He’s 31 and 6’5” but it’ll be worth it to see him walk out of the tunnel, hand-in-hand with Jason Knight. 

There was a City game at Swindon (can’t remember quite when, but probably 20+ years ago) where a (balding, unathletic) bloke in his 30s had paid to be the Swindon mascot for the day. It was pretty funny watching him in the kickaround with the players before the game.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It was free when my son did it , we played Brentford Steve galliers was captain for us and Steve perryman was Brentford’s that was about 35 years ago mind :laugh: still got picture and on the day kids got a complete free kit 

• Thanks 1

My eldest keeps nagging me to do it, would love nothing more than to give him that experience but sadly it's just not an expense I can justify. Add to that the extra cost of kit it's a £300 plus day. Yes, it's memories that would last a lifetime but we did Legoland for two days with a stay in their new lodges for that price a few months back for the 4 of us.

Would love for it to be part of the membership package for him that there's a mascot draw every week but I understand why the club have deviated away from that.

6 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Expensive but cheap if it secures your child as a city fan for forever and stops them being plastic prem fans 

I'm a cheapskate. My lad had a free u5's (maybe u8's) ST in the old Williams St towards the fag end of the GJ era, that was enough to get him hooked!

It always amuses me when they get all the mascots together, for a photograph, and to be filmed and put up on the big screens. 

Instead of taking a photograph or filming the mascots lined up together, you get a line of parents pointing their phones up at the screens. 

Taking a photo/video of the mascots being photographed/ filmed...🤷

Im guessing the Club must give them a printed photo of all the mascots together? 

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

It always amuses me when they get all the mascots together, for a photograph, and to be filmed and put up on the big screens. 

Instead of taking a photograph or filming the mascots lined up together, you get a line of parents pointing their phones up at the screens. 

Taking a photo/video of the mascots being photographed/ filmed...🤷

Im guessing the Club must give them a printed photo of all the mascots together? 

They do a group shot with Jason Knight (or presumably the captain in his absence) in front of the pitch near the home technical area. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lager loud said:

There was a City game at Swindon (can’t remember quite when, but probably 20+ years ago) where a (balding, unathletic) bloke in his 30s had paid to be the Swindon mascot for the day. It was pretty funny watching him in the kickaround with the players before the game.

That was Steve McMahon! 👀

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

My girl walked out with jay dasilva , at age 11 she was quite well matched in height ! 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, The Masked Man said:

Any idea how much it is for the women? 

3 hours ago, Eco said:

Go to the ticketing website , click on City and you’ll see mascot packages, the men’s and women’s are together on there. Looks like £65 for the women’s but not sure what you get for that . Might be best to ring the club and find out 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mattjb said:

Go to the ticketing website , click on City and you’ll see mascot packages, the men’s and women’s are together on there. Looks like £65 for the women’s but not sure what you get for that . Might be best to ring the club and find out 

You get a place on the bench for that. Another £65 gets a guaranteed start.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Eco said:

1 hour ago, mattjb said:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was mascot when I was about 11 in the mid-80s. I remember my feeling of immense excitement when I got the letter to say I’d been “selected”.  Bobby Hutchinson was captain and was very friendly (even though I found it difficult to understand his Scottish accent). Walshy, Neville and Riley I also recall being very approachable when I got autographs in the dressing room. I vividly remember taking shots at Waugh during the warm-up. I loved every minute of it.

It was only a handful of games my mum has ever seen - she sat with my dad (who always took me to games), my grandparents and my uncle in the Dolman. My other grandfather sat with me during the game in the Williams (Grandstand as it was then) - I think it was him instead of my dad because he had a good camera to take photos. Haven’t seen those pictures for years. My sister refused to go because she hated football (she has never been to a football match to this day). Typical sibling response! She says she regrets that now. 

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

13 minutes ago, Offside said:

I was mascot when I was about 11 in the mid-80s. I remember my feeling of immense excitement when I got the letter to say I’d been “selected”.  Bobby Hutchinson was captain and was very friendly (even though I found it difficult to understand his Scottish accent). Walshy, Neville and Riley I also recall being very approachable when I got autographs in the dressing room. I vividly remember taking shots at Waugh during the warm-up. I loved every minute of it.

It was only a handful of games my mum has ever seen - she sat with my dad (who always took me to games), my grandparents and my uncle in the Dolman. My other grandfather sat with me during the game in the Williams (Grandstand as it was then) - I think it was him instead of my dad because he had a good camera to take photos. Haven’t seen those pictures for years. My sister refused to go because she hated football (she has never been to a football match to this day). Typical sibling response! She says she regrets that now. 

Just goes to show what a great memory it is for a youngster and lovely family memories.

Like others have said, seems to be worth every penny of what it costs today when it creates those sorts of memories.

Did it twice as a kid on away days, we travelled everywhere with the young reds so was pretty easy to do. Huddersfield away under benny and then reading (lavin-gate) under pullis. Both managers sacked shortly after so I certainly had the kiss of death 

cracking picture at Hudders with mark shail who looks half asleep in the center circle, and I remember warming up with Greg goodridge and a very memorable picture with city legend tynan scope at reading 🤣

the ref used to give the mascot a gift (doubt that still happens) a nationwide wallet one time and the 50p used for the toss another!

Edited by Fjmcity

My 2 boys were mascot about 20-25 years ago Bournemouth night match ( cup competition) wade elliot was playing for Bournemouth at the time , can’t remember the price , my lads loved it , totally got them into the club , the youngest now 36 goes to all home games and a fair few away and now takes his 2 sons who were mascots v Lincoln last year ( eeek 🙈 1-3 defeat ) the eldest still goes but doesn’t go as much ( finances ) his young un has been a few times aswell

i myself have done hospitality many times and have always really enjoyed it , had some great days ( results apart ) in my eyes the one of the things the club has really done well ,

if you can afford a mascot day / hospitality day I personally would highly recommend it 

11 hours ago, hinsleburg said:

My eldest keeps nagging me to do it, would love nothing more than to give him that experience but sadly it's just not an expense I can justify. Add to that the extra cost of kit it's a £300 plus day. Yes, it's memories that would last a lifetime but we did Legoland for two days with a stay in their new lodges for that price a few months back for the 4 of us.

Would love for it to be part of the membership package for him that there's a mascot draw every week but I understand why the club have deviated away from that.

Email the club see if they have any away Mascot spots left, it's free and your eldest would be the only City mascot on the day, unlike at home there are 10 others.

• Like 1

I was mascot twice in the mid 80s v Cardiff and v Swansea (thanks Beryl). The first time I was mascot I was allowed in the changing rooms before and after the game, warmed up on the pitch and fired (ok trickled) shots at the keeper, I sat on the bench next to Terry Cooper and Keith Curle (the City sub) and Curle challenged me to a 'who could spit the gum closest to the touchline'. He won easily and claimed he never lost. The second time was much more sanitised and nowhere near as exciting. I was only allowed in the changing rooms briefly, I couldn't sit on the bench and I didn't get to hear Terry Cooper ranting and raving. It was still a great experience.

In 2021 my eldest lad was mascot v Nottingham Forest. the experience was very different again, but we still all had an amazing time...well up to the time of Forest's very late winner. 😔

13 hours ago, nickolas said:

X2 for my two that want to do it! 🙄😂

But you obvs would recommend it so i’ll have to hand some more cash to the trust fund it would seem!!

100% recommend it though I do echo the thoughts of some others that it would be good if some of the spaces were available to those less able to afford it. I did wonder what would happen if you had two children who wanted to be mascots and whether you got a discount. 

13 hours ago, Offside said:

11 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was mascot twice in the mid 80s v Cardiff and v Swansea (thanks Beryl). The first time I was mascot I was allowed in the changing rooms before and after the game, warmed up on the pitch and fired (ok trickled) shots at the keeper, I sat on the bench next to Terry Cooper and Keith Curle (the City sub) and Curle challenged me to a 'who could spit the gum closest to the touchline'. He won easily and claimed he never lost. The second time was much more sanitised and nowhere near as exciting. I was only allowed in the changing rooms briefly, I couldn't sit on the bench and I didn't get to hear Terry Cooper ranting and raving. It was still a great experience.

In 2021 my eldest lad was mascot v Nottingham Forest. the experience was very different again, but we still all had an amazing time...well up to the time of Forest's very late winner. 😔

I was mascot in the 80's too - twice in fact. I still have the letter from Beryl too as well as the program. I remember being greeted by Terry Cooper, Clive Middlemass and, I think, John Lillington (sp?) and the excitement levels were just crazy. In the dressing room, on the pitch taking shots at John Shaw. In those days it was free as they were just pleased to get a few more people in the crowd! But everyone was so friendly and happy to oblige for autographs etc it was just such a fantastic experience! 

Our boy retraced my steps last season v. Rotherham and I couldn't have been more proud! 

City do get a lot of stick, and yes it could be more affordable, but for boys & girls lucky enough to do it those memories will last a lifetime. 

COYR 

• Like 2

I remember being mascot against Millwall in 99/00 and we’d just signed Steve Jones. I think I was picked out in a draw through the Junior Reds. There was another lad there as mascot who had his mascot place bought for him through his Dad getting hospitality. In the changing room before the game Greg Goodridge asked us both if we knew who the new player was. The other mascot didn’t have a scooby but I reeled off Steve Jones’ career etc. GG turned around and said “Well we know who the real fan is”. 

Was lucky enough to be mascot two other times for away matches with the Junior Reds/City Junior Strikers. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Masked Man said:

100% recommend it though I do echo the thoughts of some others that it would be good if some of the spaces were available to those less able to afford it. I did wonder what would happen if you had two children who wanted to be mascots and whether you got a discount

I shall let you know when i try it!! 😂

I may have recounted this before but on a related subject, my sister was our mascot for the Forest away semi final. I was slightly aggrieved as she had to borrow my yellow kit!

Anyhow, Big Joe, understandably, considered the dressing room sacrosanct so she wasn’t allowed in and was stood in the corridors at the City Ground. As she’s waiting Cloughie comes into view and asks her what she’s doing there. When explained, he stated “Well that won’t do” and took her into the Forest changing room to meet Pearce and company. At my mums house there’s a photo of Cloughie in his famous green jumper with my sister on one knee and the Forest mascot on the other one.

And no, there was no charge back in 1989! For the Junior Reds away games it tended to be if you’d been on a few trips you’d be offered the opportunity to do an away mascot game

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1