IGNORED

Old Eastend Classics

cheddarwedlocker

19 minutes ago, TDarwall said:

Remember being in the East End when someone started "xxxxx is a horses @rse" .... the xxxxx in question was the Deputy Head of our secondary school, who was stood about 50 yards away. 

Unreal scenes for a 13 year old.

Did you go to Ashton Park, and was his first name Jack?

I dug out my K Tel City classics album this morning.

Track 1 -  Where be the Blackbird too ?

2- Hit ‘im on the head with a baseball bat 

3- You’re going in the river.

4- You’re going home in a St John’s ambulance     

5- Brrrrrrriiiiisssstol .

6- Where’s your  wife gone Stanley Bowles.

7- He’s here,he’s there ,we’re not allowed to swear Gerry Gow, Gerry Gow.

8. - The referee’s a w.   anker.

9- Come in a taxi, did you come in a taxi. 

10- Give us a B…. , give us an R …

Happy days. ( Not a City song ) . 

• Like 5
  • Flames 4

4 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Or after a final day game vs Brentford mid-90s when they had to win to stay up and got pasted 4-1:  "He's fat, he's round, his team are going down, baldy, baldy....." to a portly gentleman in the away end who was fuming at his team's 'performance'

Edited by Ronnie Sinclair
  • Haha 1

The best chants are the ad hoc ones at games that just catch on.

Sometimes they can be a bit personal. I remember one at home, there was a male steward with long red hair, and a chant started about him. I don't remember how offensive it was but the line that sticks in my mind is "He's a ginger surprise...". Such a random thing to sing!

If that steward is reading this, you should be proud to be have inspired the terraces.

43 minutes ago, Ronnie Sinclair said:

Or after a final day game vs Brentford mid-90s when they had to win to stay up and got pasted 4-1:  "He's fat, he's round, his team are going down, baldy, baldy....." to a portly gentleman in the away end who was fuming at his team's 'performance'

That was a cracking game and to rub salt in Brentford's wounds a ex Fulham man scored,

45 minutes ago, mozo said:

The best chants are the ad hoc ones at games that just catch on.

Sometimes they can be a bit personal. I remember one at home, there was a male steward with long red hair, and a chant started about him. I don't remember how offensive it was but the line that sticks in my mind is "He's a ginger surprise...". Such a random thing to sing!

If that steward is reading this, you should be proud to be have inspired the 

As an example of the ‘one-off’ ……..’Mellor, Mellor double top’ …. bit naughty that one tbh. 

I do recall, however, a 6-0 victory against Fulham although don’t know whether Mellor was playing or if indeed it was before or after the unfortunate event. If it was after the event, maybe the song achieved the intended outcome of putting him off his game.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Where's your wife gone Stanley Bowles.....

Brilliant 👏 👏 

Like it was yesterday....

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RedRock said:

As an example of the ‘one-off’ ……..’Mellor, Mellor double top’ …. bit naughty that one tbh. 

I do recall, however, a 6-0 victory against Fulham although don’t know whether Mellor was playing or if indeed it was before or after the unfortunate event. If it was after the event, maybe the song achieved the intended outcome of putting him off his game.

Circa April 69, Johnny Haynes' last season .

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

QPR away 🤣

Remember the Police coming in threatening to nick/eject anyone swearing , and so the words were changed 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The best version of that I heard was Wolves on the South Bank singing " You're going home loik Sandy Richardson " !

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Your number 7. Gerry Gow was a great chant. Gerry was one of the best midfielders ever to wear a City shirt.

• Like 3

On 23/09/2024 at 06:49, TDarwall said:

No.

The only other clue is I'm pretty sure another poster knows him (or at least his son!).

The bloke I mentioned (Jack House) was the RE teacher at Ashton Park in my time, and a big City fan.

All I really remember from RE was him telling us about the time that a Leeds United fan punched him 'on the nose' at Elland Road. I'm guessing it was in the FA Cup win there in 73/74.

He went on to be the vicar of St Francis Church in Ashton, and died a few years back.

• Like 4

Let's go ******* mental

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo doobie doobie dooooooooo doo doobie doobie doobie doobie doooooo doo doobie doobie doobie doobie dum dum doobie doobie dum dum

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

Not a song, but a group of us school kids were standing on the step behind a little bloke with a bald head in the East End (circa 1970) and thought it would be amusing to blow gently on his bald head.  He tolerated it for a while but then turned round and said in a broad Bemmy accent, “Do that again, and I’ll fart in your eye!”.

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Haha 1

My all time favourites sung against the Rovers... "Tesco's took the tote end" and best of all "Holloway, ollieway, ollie, ollie, ollieway when he gets the ball he does f all, ollie, Ollie way" then Rovers got a penalty and Holloway stepped up to take it, but Saved and that song gets several loud repeated renditions!

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

2 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

The bloke I mentioned (Jack House) was the RE teacher at Ashton Park in my time, and a big City fan.

All I really remember from RE was him telling us about the time that a Leeds United fan punched him 'on the nose' at Elland Road. I'm guessing it was in the FA Cup win there in 73/74.

He went on to be the vicar of St Francis Church in Ashton, and died a few years back.

I knew him. Was curate at our church before going to St. Francis. Went to his funeral. Lovely bloke and City through and through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gert Mare said:

Let's go ******* mental

Doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo doobie doobie dooooooooo doo doobie doobie doobie doobie doooooo doo doobie doobie doobie doobie dum dum doobie doobie dum dum

My favourite City song ever!

• Robin 1

4 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Could have been FA cup 5th rd  68, lot of trouble that day !

• Like 2

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

My all time favourites sung against the Rovers... "Tesco's took the tote end" and best of all "Holloway, ollieway, ollie, ollie, ollieway when he gets the ball he does f all, ollie, Ollie way" then Rovers got a penalty and Holloway stepped up to take it, but Saved and that song gets several loud repeated renditions!

Found the highlights, shame can't hear the chant through... 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scrumpty said:

Bob Paisley said to Bertie Mee

”Have you heard of the North Bank, Highbury?”

Bertie Mee said

”No, I don’t think so, but I’ve heard of the East End aggro”

I think you'll find it was Bill Shankly not Paisley and it was "Shanks says no" not Bertie Mee, sorry to be pedantic but if you're going to sing old EE songs then you need to get it right !! 

Reminds me of an old Eric Morecombe piano sketch, "i'm playing the right notes but not necessarily in the right order" 😆

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ciderincornwall said:

Not sure it's a classic, not sure It ever really took off, but cider submarine with all it's verses was great. If anyone knows them all I'd appreciate having my memory jogged! 

I'll start it off for you . 

"In the town, where I was born, the cider flowed, from dusk til dawn . . . "