IGNORED

Bristol City scores on Teletext?

Never to the dark side

• Admin
3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

1974 was when teletext started on BBC,who remembers doing a refresh every few sections to get the latest Bristol City updates?

Would any one have any pictures images taken at the time showing Bristol City scores/updates?

img_1_1727175264320.jpg

• Like 5
  • Robin 2

I worked for Teletext Sport from 1998-2006. Best job I ever had! Trying to cram all nine goals from the Mansfield game in 2002 into three pars was challenging, though - especially as I wanted to do cartwheels all over the newsroom instead of working…

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
  • Robin 2

40 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

1974 seems far too early. Are you sure?

That is correct although very, very few sets were capable of receiving it then I imagine. My grandparents got a Teletext-enabled set in the mid 80s and I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Amiga_Steve said:

I always remember seeing when we lost 5-2 to Watford and had 3 players sent off - Atteveld, Allison & Aizelwood. The three A's!

What a great end of season game that was, not. I think it was Andy Cole's last loan game with us. Little did we know at the time that we would shortly stump up £500K to sign him on a permanent deal.

Happy days.

• Like 1

Now and again we were tasked with creating new templates for sports that seldom got much coverage. One such time was to air a judo story. Sadly, the blocky, pixelated guy in white looked nothing like a judoka and everything like a Michelin Man, so it was binned in favour of one that just said “GENERAL SPORT” in large letters.

A colleague also went with the following tennis headline which predictably resulted in a lot of complaints from viewers:

”CUNNING HINGIS LICKS GRAF IN PARIS”

Remarkably, he somehow managed to keep hold of his job.

Those were the days my friends…

• Haha 5

20 hours ago, David Brent said:

There must be evidence of Murray taking a shit against Millwall on Teletext somewhere 

A "well-drilled shit from 25 yards". I spotted it reading from home and phoned the office to get it changed. Not fast enough to keep it out of Private eye's Colemanballs column though 😆

Was Ceefax of course, not Teletext. And it's Ceefax that is 50. Teletext (at first called Oracle) didn't appear for some years after Ceefax.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2024 at 17:02, Amiga_Steve said:

I always remember seeing when we lost 5-2 to Watford and had 3 players sent off - Atteveld, Allison & Aizelwood. The three A's!

Same incident. Allison elbowed the bloke to the floor, Atteveld stamped on him, and then Aizlewood swore at the ref when he sent the first two off.

Edited by Boston Red

I was a radio operator in the Royal Navy. Back in the 90's when we were using a communication satellite link to the UK we would have an engineering channel connected via teleprinter to the ground station in the UK. You could send messages via type directly between operators. If however you typed //p (and the Ceefax page number) then pressed return it would link directly into Ceefax and print the pages requested. 

This was pre internet days so wherever we were in the world we would dial directly into Ceefax at about 5pm UK time on a Saturday, and receive a teleprint of the scores. Run off some copies and distribute them throughout the ship.

Edited by Midlands Robin
  • Like 9

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ceefax was BBC, Teletext ITV I thought.

Correct.

Was oracle on ITV in the 80s I think.  Page 130 for sport,  page 140 for football and 170 for local sport (I think)

Ceefax if I remember correctly was 302 for Football and 390 for local sport? 

I could sit there quite happily on a Saturday watching the results update.

Them were the days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a match involving us, but certainly affected us. Reading v Notts County in May 1990 and I had to watch it on Ceefax. If Notts County failed to win, we were promoted. I think County went 1 nil up without about 10 minutes to go. Got to full time and County had won, bugger. Came back 10 minutes later and there was a score correction, Reading had equalised in the 90th minute and it finished 1-1 with a caption at the bottom

"Congratulations to Bristol City who are promoted to Division 2" 

Thanks Ceefax

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Was Ceefax of course, not Teletext. And it's Ceefax that is 50. Teletext (at first called Oracle) didn't appear for some years after Ceefax.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ceefax was BBC, Teletext ITV I thought.

I understood teletext was the overarching term for the medium; with Ceefax being the BBC’s version of teletext and Oracle ITV’s version.

• Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

A "well-drilled shit from 25 yards". I spotted it reading from home and phoned the office to get it changed. Not fast enough to keep it out of Private eye's Colemanballs column though 😆

Yes, Oracle had the contract for ITV’s service first I think, although that was way before my time (based in London), then the Press Association now (PA Media) won the contract - their office was in Leeds but in 1999 they moved out to the wilds of Howden near Hull. Teletext took sport in-house in 2002 (at first an office in Fulham but then to Chiswick) but left News with PA. I went with it and was delighted that pay there was significantly better but after barely three years they decided to give the contract back to PA. I got a decent redundancy and went back to PA but my heart was no longer in it at this point with all the chopping and changing.

I joined a newspaper but things were no better there by the mid 2000s with the struggle to adapt to digital, and eventually decided journalism wasn’t worth the candle any more, moved stateside and went to the dark side (public relations).

Very fond memories of Teletext though.

Edited by WessexPest
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, City Rocker said:

I understood teletext was the overarching term for the medium; with Ceefax being the BBC’s version of teletext and Oracle ITV’s version.

You aren’t wrong. Ceefax was a teletext (lower case) service. The first in the world. ITV ran one some time later called Oracle and then rebranded it as Teletext (upper case) as the Beeb neither copyrighted the name or the technology.

Although it died out in 2011 in the UK, many countries still use teletext pages. On the Dutch one, there is even a set of pages advertising the services of ladies of the night, so I'm told. A different type of scorecard altogether!

I remember page 305 for second-tier scores; page 307 for third-tier scores.  I even wrote an article in the OTIB fanzine celebrating our promotion from page 307 to page 305 once.

i remember hearing Gary Lineker (I think it was) describing a game as “about as interesting as watching a match on Ceefax” and thinking “Sh*t, I enjoy doing that!”. 😂

Edited by The Dolman Pragmatist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2024 at 16:36, Sleepy1968 said:

What a great end of season game that was, not. I think it was Andy Cole's last loan game with us. Little did we know at the time that we would shortly stump up £500K to sign him on a permanent deal.

Happy days.

Scorer of the first ever goal I saw live at a game.

I think 2 of your guys were sent off for dissent - must have been pretty bad then!

I think we both almost pretty much got promoted on teletext in the 97/98 as Grimsby played the night before and been held.

Was over the Easter weekend. 

Edited by Markthehorn
  • Like 1

On 24/09/2024 at 14:27, WessexPest said:

I worked for Teletext Sport from 1998-2006. Best job I ever had! Trying to cram all nine goals from the Mansfield game in 2002 into three pars was challenging, though - especially as I wanted to do cartwheels all over the newsroom instead of working…

My dad tells a story of refreshing teletext from 2-4 down to 5-4, absolutely refused to believe it was correct ranting about how useless it it is etc..., so much so, he went into town to a bookies and sat there waiting for them to confirm the score! Needless to say he had more faith in it going forward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 24/09/2024 at 20:52, Red Cyril 2 said:

Were computer games not at the table tennis stage and calculators still not common back then 

Talking of calculators I still have (and use) one I was given as an 18th birthday present by my mum in 1977. Texas Instruments made it and it still works as well as it ever did!