IGNORED

Louie Donowa

GrahamC

7 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Quite possibly my most favourite goal scored at AG in my nearly 60 years

The Whitehead goal that secured promotion to the top flight?

The winner against Liverpool that helped keep us up?

Jimmy Mann against Shilton?

Korey Smith v Man U?

Really, a goal against the few?

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

60 today, effing hell.

Mind you, that goal in 1991..

22 minutes ago, Superjack said:

Depressing, innit?

7 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

Right, I'm past it. I must have been there, but am struggling to recall. Before I look it up, 3-2 v Rovers, night game? Or am I miles from it (I still couldn’t tell you anything about goals)?

6 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Right, I'm past it. I must have been there, but am struggling to recall. Before I look it up, 3-2 v Rovers, night game? Or am I miles from it (I still couldn’t tell you anything about goals)?

1-0. First time we had beaten them in years. Holloway penalty miss. Very late winner in front of the open end. Scuffed shot...parkin juggled it. Donowa headed in on the ground virtually on the line. Absolute scenes

Edited by Buster Footman's T shirt
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 2
  • Robin 1

1 minute ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

1-0. First time we had beaten them in years. Holloway penalty miss. Very late winner in front of the open end. Scuffed shot...parkin juggled it. Donowa headed in on the ground virtually on the line. Absolute scenes

👍  Would've been there sober, still no memory of it, gonna consult youtube later.

1 minute ago, Sleepy1968 said:

👍  Would've been there sober, still no memory of it, gonna consult youtube later.

I was on the EE. I could barely see our own goal. 🥅 I only knew the penalty had been saved as everyone went mental. (Andy Leaning wasn’t it…If I’m wrong any one feel free to correct me)

could see the goal at the open end much more clearly! Hardly anytime left and Donowa got his head on the end of a bobbling ball. Insanity in the EE. We hadn’t beaten them for a long time. 

It was one of those moments where you thought you could get swallowed up by the crowd. Garland v Liverpool was another. 

For the record the most frightening crowd reaction to scoring was Martyn Hirst at Eastville. I physically had to hold my old man up as he was going under. Utter insanity. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

16 minutes ago, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

Followed by Rob Newman & Super Bob running behind the goal to give their supporters the wanchor sign & at the final whistle Shelts pushing Holloway away as he went to shake hands to hold both arms aloft to the enclosure.

Andy Leaning saved the penalty from the Cadbury Heath monkey, a great night.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gert Mare said:

I was just walking out of the EastEnd as he scored, so it ended up being an unexpected celebration which I had been longing for since that Gary Smart goal when the Sags stole all 3 points after being bombarded.

Think that was the late Tim Carter in goal? He had one of those games and you know what was coming. Some goal mind.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Korey Smith v Man U?

Was a long time coming that win against that lot.

• Robin 1

Without question, the most exhilarating experience I've ever had in my life. Especially when you had thousands of gasheads singing, when will you ever beat the gas, when will you ever beat the gas. Wow what a moment that I'll never forget 

2 hours ago, TV Tom said:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Korey Smith v Man U?

It’s a difficult choice.

You mentioned Clive Whitehead’s third minute goal against Portsmouth back on that April 1976 evening, and whilst it was obviously important, I remember being so nervous for the rest of the match, almost as nervous as i felt at the away match at WBA earlier that same season - how we held on at the Hawthorns, I shall never know.

Both fantastic matches and both important in that promotion season, but I think I usually feel more euphoric after a last minute winner, especially when it comes against the odds.

2 hours ago, REDOXO said:

I was on the EE. I could barely see our own goal. 🥅 I only knew the penalty had been saved as everyone went mental. (Andy Leaning wasn’t it…If I’m wrong any one feel free to correct me)

could see the goal at the open end much more clearly! Hardly anytime left and Donowa got his head on the end of a bobbling ball. Insanity in the EE. We hadn’t beaten them for a long time. 

That’s exactly how I remember it. I was in the central section of the EE and had a strange feeling that the penalty wouldn’t go in and braced myself for the celebrations. And then Donowa’s goal at the other end. A brilliant night after some awful results against them for a few years. 

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Korey Smith v Man U?

The Garland headed goal whilst on his hands and knees was a memorable one against the few to be fair.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Korey Smith v Man U?

Oh yes, as many have said it was what seemed like years and years of pent up frustration finally laid to rest, surprised no one has mentioned the Robert’s goal against Hartlepool, thought the Dolman was going to collapse 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Korey Smith v Man U?

That was the first win against rovers in ages,, certainly the first i remember seeing, belongs on a list for many of a certain generation!

Gasheads stoking is the fire by booing during a minutes silence for ?( I struggle to remember?) But always remember a gashead shouting" I'm glad he's ******* dead!) Shocking and riled up the dolman a and b block.

Enclosure was mental when that went in

• Like 2

I was in East End that evening and the ground felt a lot more crowded than the 22k official attendance. Definitely more there than some of our more recent 24/25k attendances. Anyway it was an unreal ending with the Rovers penalty miss and our late goal. IMO the most memorable home derby win and only matched by our away cup win when we were in the Forth division

Lives long in the memory..they had the upper hand for a while ( on the pitch)..didn't have social media back then but they were a nightmare ..probably one for us older ones..today's younger fans obviously haven't experienced that rivalry...it wasn't always pleasant but it was a proper rivalry...not bothered about having it back tho...happy just to laugh at them these days. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weepywall said:

Lives long in the memory..they had the upper hand for a while ( on the pitch)..didn't have social media back then but they were a nightmare ..probably one for us older ones..today's younger fans obviously haven't experienced that rivalry...it wasn't always pleasant but it was a proper rivalry...not bothered about having it back tho...happy just to laugh at them these days. 

Same here, happy if I never see us play them again, lose-lose situation 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Harry said:

Enjoy 

Attendance. 22227. My arse. It was packed!! 

Thanks mate.

What is really interesting about this footage (& I have seen it absolutely loads of times but never noticed before), is that the bit in front of the Dolman was empty in the first half & packed in the second.

I assume that it was used as overspill & those who didn’t make it in by kick off time were directed there?

Just now, GrahamC said:

Thanks mate.

What is really interesting about this footage (& I have seen it absolutely loads of times but never noticed before), is that the bit in front of the Dolman was empty in the first half & packed in the second.

I assume that it was used as overspill & those who didn’t make it in by kick off time were directed there?

Was that the game when the tickets were over sold and loads of ticket holders were locked out (I was one of them) we ended up charging through the doors in the main entrance of the Williams 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shuffle said:

Was a long time coming that win against that lot.

Looked it up.

Our previous win was in 1986, so 5 years before.

That might not seem that long a gap now when we never play them, but there had been 10 games (with 5 draws, 5 defeats) in between.

A completely different world from now, when we haven’t played them in 11 years & they haven’t beat us for 17, winning just once against us in the last 24 years.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Looked it up.

Our previous win was in 1986, so 5 years before.

That might not seem that long a gap now when we never play them, but there had been 10 games (with 5 draws, 5 defeats) in between.

A completely different world from now, when we haven’t played them in 11 years & they haven’t beat us for 17, winning just once against us in the last 24 years.

The pure hatred was something else.  I absolutely loathed Hollowhead and Francis. Completely irrational but will stay with me to my grave.  Those 5 years felt like a lifetime.

• Like 5
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, TV Tom said:

Was that the game when the tickets were over sold and loads of ticket holders were locked out (I was one of them) we ended up charging through the doors in the main entrance of the Williams 

That would have been the same year the same happened with the gates between the open end and the Dolman, loads got in that way I watched the game from the steps in the middle there was no room elsewhere (I think it was the year after this game though, 1992?)

12 hours ago, TV Tom said:

Oh yes, as many have said it was what seemed like years and years of pent up frustration finally laid to rest, surprised no one has mentioned the Robert’s goal against Hartlepool, thought the Dolman was going to collapse 

Currently on a tour of Morocco and was discussing with a Hartlepool fan on the tour the very game. Was trying to convey the experience of being in the Dolman that night. They also lost their fourth game of the season 1-0 last night in non league. My how times have changed for them. 

11 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thanks mate.

The Dolman used to be even more of a pain to get out of at the end of the match than it is now, hence it's reputation for people leaving early. From about 70 minutes on that area used to fill up just with people hoping to make a quick getaway at  the end.

10 hours ago, TV Tom said:

I think that was a couple of years later, it wasn't that tickets were oversold, it was that you could just turn up and pay at the turnstile and they didn't take into account tickets already sold. They tried to shut the gates when capacity was reached, but opened the gate between the Dolman and Atyeo at some point, presumably to relieve the crush outside (quite possibly the Williams too). Hillsbrough was still very fresh in the memory then. The very last derby that wasn't all ticket.

Edited by richwwtk

6 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

The Dolman used to be even more of a pain to get out of at the end of the match than it is now, hence it's reputation for people leaving early. From about 70 minutes on that area used to fill up just with people hoping to make a quick getaway at  the end.

I think that was a couple of years later, it wasn't that tickets were oversold, it was that you could just turn up and pay at the turnstile and they didn't take into account tickets already sold. They tried to shut the gates when capacity was reached, but opened the gate between the Dolman and Atyeo at some point, presumably to relieve the crush outside (quite possibly the Williams too). Hillsbrough was still very fresh in the memory then. The very last derby that wasn't all ticket.

Whenever it was i definitely had a ticket and couldn't get in, there was a lot of us that left the Coopers at the same time right on kick-off, when we got to the Williams all the doors were shut and stewards saying they couldn't let any more in ticket or not, everyone just charged the main doors where the players used to walk in

22 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Sure it was, pretty sure it was the game in 1996 when Beadle scored both their goals & we lost 2-0.

Have a recollection of being in my seat (Williams Stand) & there being people stood either side because it was full & there was nowhere to sit.

11 hours ago, The Bard said:

The pure hatred was something else.  I absolutely loathed Hollowhead and Francis. Completely irrational but will stay with me to my grave.  Those 5 years felt like a lifetime.

Those 5 years really did seem like a lifetime. I was sharing a house with two 15ers for most of them, it was unbearable.

The pure relief when Donawa’s goal went in has never been matched for me. The only time I have cried at a game of football, tears of pure relief and joy.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

14 hours ago, TV Tom said:

tickets were over sold in 96. think the game was called off about mid day on New Years Day because off ice on roads and pavements around the ground,

if i remember correctly.  Game was played on a Tuesday a couple of weeks later. the crowds outside was mental we had tickets from the first game for the Atyeo and only got in by jumping the queue.

We played shite and got beat 2-0.

1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

tickets were over sold in 96. think the game was called off about mid day on New Years Day because off ice on roads and pavements around the ground,

if i remember correctly.  Game was played on a Tuesday a couple of weeks later. the crowds outside was mental we had tickets from the first game for the Atyeo and only got in by jumping the queue.

The game i'm thinking about was before the Atyeo was built so wouldn't of been '96

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephenkibby. said:

Remember that well. Went looking for them after the original game was called off, nowhere to be found. A very pleasant but cold afternoon and evening on the lash in Bemmy instead!

Wow goosebumps watching that . Was up in the Williams that night  with me mum , telling me stories of standing on the Tote end in more friendly derbies !Ashton gate was quite toxic that night and the booing of the minutes silence only made it worse . 
Only that lot can get me proper fired up!

The relief when he scored … the tears , it meant that much!!

20 hours ago, richwwtk said:

There were people sitting on the steps all the way up through the Dolman that game and there must have been a few hundred extra right at the back of the stand.  

Mental scenes at the end. 

On 24/09/2024 at 18:37, forbespm said:

Gasheads stoking is the fire by booing during a minutes silence for ?( I struggle to remember?) But always remember a gashead shouting" I'm glad he's ******* dead!) Shocking and riled up the dolman a and b block.

And the penalty save!

• Like 1

I'm surprised no one's mention Christian Roberts' playoff winner v Hartlepool as a significant City goal. The Dolman moved when that went in!

Less significance perhaps but such a memorable goal was Tony Tony Tony Thorpe's header against the scabs on a red paper aeroplane night with Aaron Brown running almost the full length of the pitch leaving scabs in his wake!

Terrific goals that still leave the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end! 

• Like 1

On 24/09/2024 at 14:19, Buster Footman's T shirt said:

For some reason I thought we scored the winner in front of the EE. Remember making our way to the grandstand exit and just as we were about to leave the place erupting with what my memory says was donowa scoring, but obviously was confused with the pen save.

Barely remember the winner at the open end, probably because I was about 4 1/2 feet tall at the time so would hardly have seen it! 😁

1 hour ago, Gert Mare said:

Great memories Harr! Used to enjoy our City days out back then. Especially getting a Micky Finns after the game!

Hell yeah. Great days. 
I used to get paid £6.10p on Saturday morning for my paper round. 
£1.10 for a Day Rider. 
£1.00 for a Mickey Finn’s Lunchbox. 
£0.50p for a programme. 
£3.00 to get on the East End. 

I used to come home with 50p left 🤣

However, I do blame the Mickey Finns lunchbox and the super deal that it was as being responsible for turning me from a skinny 16 year old to a fat 17 year old!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, BanburyRed said:

Remember that well. Went looking for them after the original game was called off, nowhere to be found. A very pleasant but cold afternoon and evening on the lash in Bemmy instead!

Oh mate!!! You were in the wrong place!! 
There was a rather large group of us who “went looking for them”. 
Initially all we found near the Louisiana was another large group of City fans also “looking for them”. 
So we now had a very very large group of us “looking for them”. 
And we eventually found them in St Nicks Market. Well, to be correct, they ended up finding us. In the Rummer. 
It resulted in a very very comedy scrap between us all on the cobbled streets of St Nicks. And it didn’t end well for the rovers lot! 
You must have heard of Slippery Saturday - which it is now forever known. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 24/09/2024 at 18:37, forbespm said:

To be fair, it was a silly match to hold the minutes silence in.  It would be better respected possibly today, but back in those days it was never gonna be observed by that lot. It did make the atmosphere a lot more hostile, which helped in the end, but I would hope that wasn't the plan unless it was his dying wish!

On 25/09/2024 at 08:28, TV Tom said:

Whenever it was i definitely had a ticket and couldn't get in, there was a lot of us that left the Coopers at the same time right on kick-off, when we got to the Williams all the doors were shut and stewards saying they couldn't let any more in ticket or not, everyone just charged the main doors where the players used to walk in

Why on earth would you wait so long to head to the ground on Derby day?!?  Even if the turnstiles were open the queues would've been massive!  Atmosphere in the ground leading up to kick off was always electric back then!

19 hours ago, McNasty Filth said:

For some reason I thought we scored the winner in front of the EE. Remember making our way to the grandstand exit and just as we were about to leave the place erupting with what my memory says was donowa scoring, but obviously was confused with the pen save.

Barely remember the winner at the open end, probably because I was about 4 1/2 feet tall at the time so would hardly have seen it! 😁

Blimey, that would've been an early departure...and not even from the Dolman either! Penalty was in the 74th minute! 

Mind you, given our record against them and the fact that you were very young - either that or a midget (shut it @Silvio Dante!) - I can understand why whoever took you would've considered leaving when it was given.  Would've been a feeling of "here we go again".

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

Why on earth would you wait so long to head to the ground on Derby day?!?  Even if the turnstiles were open the queues would've been massive!  Atmosphere in the ground leading up to kick off was always electric back then!

We were waiting for the Rovers escort to go by !!!!

6 minutes ago, TV Tom said:

We were waiting for the Rovers escort to go by !!!!

Well that would've been an exercise in futility.  We had 2k locked out, but how were you ever gonna get past 75,000 that the Sags unable to get in?!?

Edited by Steve Watts

34 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Well that would've been an exercise in futility.  We had 2k locked out, but how were you ever gonna get past 75,000 that the Sags unable to get in?!?

That was the problem, it took an hour to walk from the Coopers to the turnstile behind the locked-out Rovers fans !!! 😆