IGNORED

Hacked? Us and Sheffield Wednesday

Mr Popodopolous

• The title was changed to Hacked? Us and Sheffield Wednesday

Can't believe I dirtied myself by going onto that site, but here you go. 

EFL issues cyber attack warning after TWO Championship clubs are breached... as panicked teams recruit external agencies to fend off hackers

EFL clubs have been warned over recent dangerous cyber attack breaches

Some teams are now taking steps to hire external agencies to offer protection

The EFL has issued an alert to clubs following a series of cyber attacks which have seen breaches at both Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday in recent weeks. 

Mail Sport understands such is the seriousness of the situation that panicked sides have enlisted the help of external agencies as they seek to deal with what is an increasingly troubling issue. 

Hackers are targeting many of the competition’s bigger clubs, hunting for the personal data of season ticket holders and those on email lists. Should they be successful, that information, which can include passwords, is often sold on to a variety of buyers which are thought to include organised crime networks who can then attempt to use the data to carry out a variety of scams

Earlier this month multiple emails were sent from senior officials at both the Robins and the Owls. They included links and, despite coming from official addresses, were actually the work of hackers who had managed to get into both clubs’ systems. 

The EFL quickly sent an alert to all clubs following the issues at Bristol City, warning them not to open emails from Bristol Sport chief financial officer Vicki Long.

A similar situation unfolded at Wednesday, with suspicious emails sent from the account of finance director John Redgate. Both clubs were quick to respond and raise the alarm with those impacted. 

Earlier this month, League One Charlton Athletic contacted police after they were hit. EFL bosses have told clubs that the problem is growing and urged them to increase vigilance given the sensitive data that they hold.

Leeds United appear to be among those leading the response. The club’s information security manager, Graham Peck, is creating a list of cyber security contacts at each side to ensure information is shared and to aid prompt responses. 

In May, Aston Villa launched an investigation into reports of a data breach. While they found a vulnerable area, which they then closed, they did not find evidence of unauthorised access or sharing of passwords.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

Hmmm. This week I received an email from the shop saying that my order from 2023 had been dispatched. If that was part of this breach, it’s the most convincing scam I’ve ever seen. I genuinely do believe that the club shop could be that bad.

My partner had the same with emails from an order she made in Sept 2023 saying the items had now been despatched. Again it was this week she received these emails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Hmmm. This week I received an email from the shop saying that my order from 2023 had been dispatched. If that was part of this breach, it’s the most convincing scam I’ve ever seen. I genuinely do believe that the club shop could be that bad.

Lots of Beats fans had similar. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Thanks for posting this. My son had similar this week as well, again from an order in (December) 23.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

I had the same yesterday

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Slack said:

Had the same mail hopefully the club make an announcement saying nothing to be concerned about, worrying that the first we hear about this is from a newspaper article 

If there is a genuine concern that there has been a data breach (and the resending of emails from 2023 would suggest something has been compromised) and as the club haven't commented publicly about what has happened, then raising a question to the ICO wouldn't be unreasonable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bristol Rob said:

If there is a genuine concern that there has been a data breach (and the resending of emails from 2023 would suggest something has been compromised) and as the club haven't commented publicly about what has happened, then raising a question to the ICO wouldn't be unreasonable.

Yep, I would report them. They are suppose to let individuals know without delay. 

Nothing here - so far.  I wonder if this is somehow limited to those who ordered from the shop in the past?  

I've been getting legit emails from City even though I have opted out of this so in general, it's a bit of a shitshow.

Definitely worth not clicking on anything and updating account passwords I'd have thought.

17 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Can't believe I dirtied myself by going onto that site, but here you go. 

EFL issues cyber attack warning after TWO Championship clubs are breached... as panicked teams recruit external agencies to fend off hackers

EFL clubs have been warned over recent dangerous cyber attack breaches

Some teams are now taking steps to hire external agencies to offer protection

The EFL has issued an alert to clubs following a series of cyber attacks which have seen breaches at both Bristol City and Sheffield Wednesday in recent weeks. 

Mail Sport understands such is the seriousness of the situation that panicked sides have enlisted the help of external agencies as they seek to deal with what is an increasingly troubling issue. 

Hackers are targeting many of the competition’s bigger clubs, hunting for the personal data of season ticket holders and those on email lists. Should they be successful, that information, which can include passwords, is often sold on to a variety of buyers which are thought to include organised crime networks who can then attempt to use the data to carry out a variety of scams

Earlier this month multiple emails were sent from senior officials at both the Robins and the Owls. They included links and, despite coming from official addresses, were actually the work of hackers who had managed to get into both clubs’ systems. 

The EFL quickly sent an alert to all clubs following the issues at Bristol City, warning them not to open emails from Bristol Sport chief financial officer Vicki Long.

A similar situation unfolded at Wednesday, with suspicious emails sent from the account of finance director John Redgate. Both clubs were quick to respond and raise the alarm with those impacted. 

Earlier this month, League One Charlton Athletic contacted police after they were hit. EFL bosses have told clubs that the problem is growing and urged them to increase vigilance given the sensitive data that they hold.

Leeds United appear to be among those leading the response. The club’s information security manager, Graham Peck, is creating a list of cyber security contacts at each side to ensure information is shared and to aid prompt responses. 

In May, Aston Villa launched an investigation into reports of a data breach. While they found a vulnerable area, which they then closed, they did not find evidence of unauthorised access or sharing of passwords.

Hackers is probably doing some lifting. If people have been warned not to open an email from a specific invididual eg Vicki then I imagine she's fallen foul of a phising scam.

15 hours ago, SydneyCity said:

Yep I had this too on Tuesday, my order was July 23. Was expecting a follow up to confirm this was nonsense but nothing since.

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Should be reported to the ICO within 72 hours, including communicating to affected parties.

• Like 1

I’ve had a reply from the club:

Completely understand your concern but don’t worry your details/data have not been compromised.

Sorry about the email below, it was triggered in error following a system update by our retail software provider on Tuesday morning.  Some supporters have received old confirmation emails as part of that error.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MarcusX said:

I’ve had a reply from the club:

Completely understand your concern but don’t worry your details/data have not been compromised.

Sorry about the email below, it was triggered in error following a system update by our retail software provider on Tuesday morning.  Some supporters have received old confirmation emails as part of that error.

Why haven’t the club passed this information on to everyone. 

On 26/09/2024 at 08:43, Barrs Court Red said:

I also had a string of emails.  I did wonder if something was going on at the time, but out it down to general incompetence. 

*Gasp* Surely not?

Who am I kidding.