IGNORED

Liam Pre Swansea - Some recent history is long ago and some not so recent is rewritten

Silvio Dante

More interesting than it looked like it was going to be!

- Same squad availability as last week stated to start with - however then said Earthy training for three days and looks like he’ll be available. Atkinson thinks have to not push too quick too soon.

- Complimentary over Wells, value to the group and the standards he has

- Thought Roberts did well Saturday, attacking excellent but defensive bits they needed to speak about

- Yu is ready to start fitness wise, injury impacted less as he was effectively mid season. Trying to focus on learning football words in Japanese, has spoken to someone in J League

- Re goals conceded at Derby and Blackburn “They’re a few games ago and a few weeks ago”, brought up again Blackburn only having three shots and only thought we were poor Derby second half. The goals have been mistakes which we need to tweak as opposed to stating a general problem.

(Note: This was the first non softball question. Massively defensive on it and stating the game before last was weeks ago is a bit naughty. Also not sure on the denial tone - it was individuals, they only had three shots, we played well etc)

- Pepe really isn’t very good at this yet. His section was really poor to start with “do you talk to your captain”, “do you think Rob Dickie will be a coach”. Not a huge amount from his part initially - did say he worked very closely with the academy and it’s a really important part of the process for establishing as first team players (no, the obvious follow up wasn’t asked)

- Big line at the end though, and seemingly from nowhere (in response to Roberts/Pring question  “When we came in we only had what I’d deem 3 or 4 fit senior players and we’ve improved the level across the club”

Now in that, I don’t think anyone would doubt we added depth in the summer. But coming in to only 3 or 4 fit senior players is just nonsense. In Liams first side he had the following players:

O’Leary, Dickie, Pring, Vyner, Tanner, Sykes, Knight, James, Mehmeti, Conway, Weimann. Subs on Cornick, TGH and Bell.

The only ones in that list who you’d class as not senior having not had good experience at this level or internationals were/are Bell, TGH and Mehmeti (arguably Tanner).

So, is he saying the side weren’t fit enough? Is he acknowledging an injury crisis that we had before he came? Or is he overegging things and saying he came into a poor situation. He certainly had more than 4 senior players!

Either way, it was baffling and had Piercy been there, I’d imagine it would have been challenged.

Not sure where that came from!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 8

6 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

- Same squad availability as last week stated to start with - however then said Earthy training for three days and looks like he’ll be available. Atkinson thinks have to not push too quick too soon.

- Thought Roberts did well Saturday, attacking excellent but defensive bits they needed to speak about

- Yu is ready to start fitness wise, injury impacted less as he was effectively mid season. Trying to focus on learning football words in Japanese, has spoken to someone in J League

- Re goals conceded at Derby and Blackburn “They’re a few games ago and a few weeks ago”, brought up again Blackburn only having three shots and only thought we were poor Derby second half. The goals have been mistakes which we need to tweak as opposed to stating a general problem.

(Note: This was the first non softball question. Massively defensive on it and stating the game before last was weeks ago is a bit naughty. Also not sure on the denial tone - it was individuals, they only had three shots, we played well etc)

- Pepe really isn’t very good at this yet. His section was really poor to start with “do you talk to your captain”, “do you think Rob Dickie will be a coach”. Not a huge amount from his part initially - did say he worked very closely with the academy and it’s a really important part of the process for establishing as first team players (no, the obvious follow up wasn’t asked)

- Big line at the end though, and seemingly from nowhere (in response to Roberts/Pring question  “When we came in we only had what I’d deem 3 or 4 fit senior players and we’ve improved the level across the club”

Now in that, I don’t think anyone would doubt we added depth in the summer. But coming in to only 3 or 4 fit senior players is just nonsense. In Liams first side he had the following players:

O’Leary, Dickie, Pring, Vyner, Tanner, Sykes, Knight, James, Mehmeti, Conway, Weimann. Subs on Cornick, TGH and Bell.

The only ones in that list who you’d class as not senior having not had good experience at this level or internationals were/are Bell, TGH and Mehmeti (arguably Tanner).

So, is he saying the side weren’t fit enough? Is he acknowledging an injury crisis that we had before he came? Or is he overegging things and saying he came into a poor situation. He certainly had more than 4 senior players!

Either way, it was baffling and had Piercy been there, I’d imagine it would have been challenged.

LJ v2.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

A really difficult bloke to like. Never misses a trick to rewrite history and/or deflect. Get us in the play offs and some will be forgiven. A coach, not a manager, nor a leader.

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I thought the more telling bit in that answer was his reference to the “talented youngsters he had in the squad who weren’t ready”.  He wants a “senior squad”.  He’s got it now.  A little thanks to the Lansdown family normally gets inserted at that point! 😉

And being facetious, we need to forget Derby and Blackburn this week, but we have to remember Millwall last week. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought the more telling bit in that answer was his reference to the “talented youngsters he had in the squad who weren’t ready”.  He wants a “senior squad”.  He’s got it now.  A little thanks to the Lansdown family normally gets inserted at that point! 😉

And being facetious, we need to forget Derby and Blackburn this week, but we have to remember Millwall last week. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If I’d have gone on that part I’d have had to sound my “never used and won’t use” academy klaxon.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

• Like 5

Just now, Jose said:

He really does spout rubbish at times. So shockers like Blackburn and Derby should be forgotten as they were weeks ago and a few games ago? Does he think we are stupid? 

Last season we were talking about Southampton months afterwards. 

I can’t bring myself to listen to his interviews. The complete opposite to “ he who shall not be named” 

I do appreciate the breakdown though @Silvio Dante

No, but I believe he does think he’s more intelligent. Case in point the Twine post match on Saturday (amongst several others). Just a need to be shown to be right that’s verging on pathological.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

No, but I believe he does think he’s more intelligent. Case in point the Twine post match on Saturday (amongst several others). Just a need to be shown to be right that’s verging on pathological.

I’ve always been of the opinion he is massively out of his depth. That said, I said to myself any frustrations would be aimed higher up the chain. 
Ridiculous comments above and like the Twine one really does make it hard. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jose said:

He really does spout rubbish at times. So shockers like Blackburn and Derby should be forgotten as they were weeks ago and a few games ago? Does he think we are stupid? 

Last season we were talking about Southampton months afterwards. 

I can’t bring myself to listen to his interviews. The complete opposite to “ he who shall not be named” 

I do appreciate the breakdown though @Silvio Dante

Derby might well have been weeks ago but he had a 2 week break to put it right. And he couldn't.

• Like 8
  • Flames 1

53 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Thanks for the link, looking purely at team news for the game here (so top bit), hoping that means Yu should start, Roberts will keep his place and Earthy will get some minutes, 30 would be great, think it should be a decent game to watch this one.

1 minute ago, Bristol City mad man said:

Thanks for the link, looking purely at team news for the game here (so top bit), hoping that means Yu should start, Roberts will keep his place and Earthy will get some minutes, 30 would be great, think it should be a decent game to watch this one.

Decent game to watch from the TV maybe. I’ve just seen the weather forecast 😂

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

42 minutes ago, 1team said:

I would suggest the squad he inherited was the fittest of any for a decade or more. To suggest otherwise is just a lie. 

Standard manager speak though, for all the hype he's the same as every other manager.

Year 1: Arrive at new club - " players aren't fit, need to change the squad to play my way. I need new players,a pre season etc"

Year 2: Sign players, "they need time to bed in , learn the tactics, patterns, etc, need time new league, new country, etc yada yada 'we're getting there'  etc"

Year 3: It's Not working....Deflect blame - sack support staff , see  Pembo, Paul Simpson, Keith Downing,  it's not me it's them. Get sacked.

And on we go

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Standard manager speak though, for all the hype he's the same as every other manager.

Year 1: Arrive at new club - " players aren't fit, need to change the squad to play my way. I need new players,a pre season etc"

Year 2: Sign players, "they need time to bed in , learn the tactics, patterns, etc, need time new league, new country, etc yada yada 'we're getting there'  etc"

Year 3: It's Not working....Deflect blame - sack support staff , see  Pembo, Paul Simpson, Keith Downing,  it's not me it's them. Get sacked.

And on we go

This is so true. 

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I cannot listen to him. He is awful . The sooner he is replaced the better. It is just a question of when not if. 

• Like 11
  • Facepalm 1

Without trying to be disrespectful, but I find it really difficult to listen to these interviews with LM. Like others have said, he can’t go on about the Southampton and Leicester games weeks/months down the line, then quickly cut out the bad results and performances like it’s no concern.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Wait what did he say about Twine? I've missed this, truth be told struggle to listen to  as much pre and post match stuff as much these days 

Edited by Slack
Edit

35 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Without trying to be disrespectful, but I find it really difficult to listen to these interviews with LM. Like others have said, he can’t go on about the Southampton and Leicester games weeks/months down the line, then quickly cut out the bad results and performances like it’s no concern.

I totally agree. No one will really care if he brings us success, but he’s so hard to like or even respect. You do have to wonder how the players get motivated by this. 

I am sticking to my give him ten games mantra, but it’s hard work when you get interviews like this. 

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, FNQ said:

When talking about RD doing a part of his job for him, he said that it’s not easy to stand up in front of twenty or thirty blank faces looking back at you. I guess he should know.

You wonder how long it will before before one of the senior players bites and says “so what have you done in the game then gaffer?”. 

1 hour ago, RollsRoyce said:

I cannot listen to him. He is awful . The sooner he is replaced the better. It is just a question of when not if. 

Nor me, I haven't managed to listen to any of his interviews or pre/post match press conferences all the way through - even when we've won. I'm grateful to @Silvio Dante for giving us a transcript because I just can't listen to him.

Poor interviews, selections, tactics and game management, no interest in the academy,..........and worse of the lot he's made us boring to watch. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Nor me, I haven't managed to listen to any of his interviews or pre/post match press conferences all the way through - even when we've won. I'm grateful to @Silvio Dante for giving us a transcript because I just can't listen to him.

Poor interviews, selections, tactics and game management, no interest in the academy,..........and worse of the lot he's made us boring to watch. 

Agree with most of that CR. Not sure about the boring part there's been plenty of goals per game. Just not necessarily in the right goal. 

4 minutes ago, Malago said:

But it’s not a derby is it.

He’s said it referencing any/all derbys, so will count for Cardiff too. For Swansea, it still is a mini one imo, because they make it one. The home games certainly have a lot of bite to them between fanbases. 

Though this does bring back the memory of him saying he was comfortable with drawing against Cardiff 0-0 because it was such a poor game, which we then ultimately lost anyway. 

8 minutes ago, petehinton said:

He’s said it referencing any/all derbys, so will count for Cardiff too. For Swansea, it still is a mini one imo, because they make it one. The home games certainly have a lot of bite to them between fanbases. 

Though this does bring back the memory of him saying he was comfortable with drawing against Cardiff 0-0 because it was such a poor game, which we then ultimately lost anyway. 

We only have one derby, although I’ll coincide that the Cardiff game has become a de facto derby, simply because the Gas are no longer in our league, literally and metaphorically.

28 minutes ago, The Constant Rabbit said:

previn.gif.f92a30de607b590532bc085c157e4451.gif

Under Liam 

We're selecting all the right players ......but not necessarily in the right positions

We're playing all the right passes.......but not necessarily in the right direction 

And

We're seeing all the right goals......but not necessarily in the right net!

Edited by CodeRed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 17

He’s bland and as others have said how he motivates the players is a mystery. If he was my boss I’d doze off.

If he was playing slick, fast paced and exciting football then I’m sure we’d all look past his defects but unfortunately he’s not doing that.

• Like 2

I actually can’t believe the line about 3 or 4 fit senior players. What an absolutely staggering lie. Truly beyond belief. There was me assuming the pure gaslighting around Twine’s obvious change of position on Saturday would be the most obvious truth twisting he did this week.

I can’t physically put myself through any interview with Liam Manning as life is just too short, does he lie to this extent often?

Ultimately his dreadful interviews are totally irrelevant on his ability to do the job, but it would certainly be easier as a fan to get behind a manager that didn’t come across as a complete knob.

• Like 9
  • Flames 3

13 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

I actually can’t believe the line about 3 or 4 fit senior players. What an absolutely staggering lie. Truly beyond belief. There was me assuming the pure gaslighting around Twine’s obvious change of position on Saturday would be the most obvious truth twisting he did this week.

I can’t physically put myself through any interview with Liam Manning as life is just too short, does he lie to this extent often?

Ultimately his dreadful interviews are totally irrelevant on his ability to do the job, but it would certainly be easier as a fan to get behind a manager that didn’t come across as a complete knob.

Well, if he's NOT lying and there were only 4 or 5 first team players fit, it just goes to show what an unbelievably brilliant job Nige was doing eh?

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

12 hours ago, Super said:

How predictable this thread is every week.

Well that’s because Liam predictably passes on his professional insights to the fanbase every week isn’t it? The fundamental purpose of this forum surely is to discuss these things. Was there anything in particular in SD’s summary that you disagree with? All seemed fair enough to me..

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I genuinely really appreciate the breakdown because I just can't bring myself to listen to it anymore.

It's not so much what he does and doesn't say, it's that he's not challenged or held to account when he literally lies. I can't be doing with that.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Well, if he's NOT lying and there were only 4 or 5 first team players fit, it just goes to show what an unbelievably brilliant job Nige was doing eh?

'when he came in,he only had 3 or 4 fit senior players  they have  improved that. '

has he though?  the first thing they did was let 3 seniors go, i think both Andys were set on going anyway but Matty James was expecting to stay. 

who ,out of all the signings is classed as a senior?  i class that as most experienced squad members. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Son of Fred said:

Well aboard the bandwagon there, isn't he....will have brought a warm autumnal glow to BT & JL.

its almost as if there is a piece of paper by his side with a few comments he has to use to get out of a jam. ie,when he hasnt got anything ready in his head to say if certain questions arise

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

I genuinely really appreciate the breakdown because I just can't bring myself to listen to it anymore.

It's not so much what he does and doesn't say, it's that he's not challenged or held to account when he literally lies. I can't be doing with that.

Watch the scratch of the neck (sometimes ear)…he’s no poker player!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Flames 1
  • Facepalm 1

Scrolling thru this thread I’m glad that I’m not the only one who couldn’t be arsed to listen to his entire pre-match comments………..at least with LJ I was able stick with it even if it was just to hear what more hot air and waffle he could come up with.

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Watch the scratch of the neck (sometimes ear)…he’s no poker player!

A body language expert would have a field day with him. He's so easy to read. The best ones, are when a ' difficult ' question starts...always a big gulp. He also goes into that same tight vocal chord voice that JL has as well. 

He's got a manner that only a mother could love. I can't stand listening to him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bearded_red said:

I think that’s the “bit” for me. 

Look, we all know that coaches lie in pressers. Stuff like player availability, you don’t want to give too much away to the opposition. But where Liam is (and was a lot last season) is crossing the line between harmless bullshit and straight out fabrication. The Twine thing can be disproven. This one about senior players can be disproven. This isn’t “throwing people off the scent”, this is not being able to trust a word that comes out of his mouth.

If any of the journos had anything about them they’d straight up challenge him at the next presser. They’ve got evidence behind them.

Pre Oxford there were a lot of comments about Liams integrity. Lying like this only adds to those accusations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just avoid this thread slarti.

Unfortunately, not just this particular thread is it ? I'm no great lover of him or his style..........but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.......no amount of personal carping is going to change anything, just support him or at least leave him alone .

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Just listened to snips based on the bullet points, thanks @Silvio Dante

As others have said, fairly odd and staggering points made & it’s bizarre they were left to simmer unchallenged. Not exactly things on balance either. 

Classic case of get asked something you aren’t expecting, feel rattled so just lash out with something totally untrue as you’re the person in power at the time. Sadly fairly common place still it seems.

Hes an extremely, extremely poor public communicator. Potentially the worst we’ve had, certainly since I’ve been a city fan anyway. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Just listened to snips based on the bullet points, thanks @Silvio Dante

As others have said, fairly odd and staggering points made & it’s bizarre they were left to simmer unchallenged. Not exactly things on balance either. 

Classic case of get asked something you aren’t expecting, feel rattled so just lash out with something totally untrue as you’re the person in power at the time. Sadly fairly common place still it seems.

Hes an extremely, extremely poor public communicator. Potentially the worst we’ve had, certainly since I’ve been a city fan anyway. 

Not a fan then Pete?!

It'll be toxic on here Sunday night if we fail against Swansea.

What's concerning me is that the pathway for youngsters seems to have reached a brick wall. Never mind thinking about Ellison or Nelson making the matchday 20, even when fit Sam Bell is going to struggle to get in it.

Clubs in the bag - where have we heard that before

• Flames 1

Just now, headhunter said:

Not a fan then Pete?!

It'll be toxic on here Sunday night if we fail against Swansea.

What's concerning me is that the pathway for youngsters seems to have reached a brick wall. Never mind thinking about Ellison or Nelson making the matchday 20, even when fit Sam Bell is going to struggle to get in it.

Clubs in the bag - where have we heard that before

I’ll be honest I’m fairly nonplussed on him. He was certainly far more engaging and articulate to us one on one wasn’t he, but that’s a minuscule % of time we’ll see him as a public facing HC as fans.

If he can really kick us on this season, that’s all that matters really. His Problem is, jury is still out on that too after a year!